TVLine Items: Tonight Show Name Change, Rogue Renewal, Monday Night's Ratings and More!

The Tonight Show New NameThe Tonight Show will undergo a slight name change when new host Jimmy Fallon steps in next spring.

Aside from the obvious host-name swap, the late-night NBC staple will replace the “With” in its title and will go by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon – harkening back to when Johnny Carson was emcee.

VIDEO | Jimmy Fallon and Jay Leno’s Tonight Show Serenade: Love It or Loathe It?

In other news, Late Night writer Amy Ozols has joined the program as a producer.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• DirecTV has renewed the Thandie Newton-fronted Rogue for a 10-episode second season, to bow in 2014.

• Monday’s ratings, condensed: ABC’s Mistresses (with a 1.4 rating) rose two tenths from its premiere, leading out of a flat Bachelorette (1.7)… NBC’s The Voice (3.2) dipped a tenth, and The Winner Is debuted to a 1.9 — up from last summer’s Stars Earn Stripes and marking this summer’s best network series launch…. Fox’s The Goodwin Games ticked down to a 0.6.

The Partridge Family‘s Shirley Jones has joined Hot In Cleveland‘s upcoming live installment. Per TVGuide.com, she’ll play the mother of fellow guest star William Shatner. Community‘s Danny Pudi and The Office‘s Brian Baumgartner also will guest-star.

RELATED | USA Network’s Graceland Premiere: Grade It!

• One Tree Hill alumna Lindsey McKeon will guest-star in the June 19 installment of Necessary Roughness, TVLine has confirmed. As first reported by Wetpaint, the actress will play an an ad exec who catches TK’s eye.

• Cartoon Network has renewed Teen Titans Go! for a second season, per TV Guide Magazine.

• Cher is slated to perform on The Voice finale airing June 18, marking the music icon’s first live TV performance in over a decade.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

GET MORE: Casting News, Late Night TV, Ratings, Renewals, The Voice, TVLine Items

1. Esaul says:

Eh. Don’t like the slight name change. I think it’s just silly.

• rowan77 says:

It’s showing him a vote of confidence. The name change is good. He’s gotta be nervous. It’s a major gig.

• Esaul says:

And where was that vote of confidence when Conan hosted? How long did that gig last again? :/ I’m fond of Jimmy, but I’m disappointed in him. As long as he’s happy with his decision, then god speed him.

• rowan77 says:

I wasn’t aware we were talking about Conan, but okay. This show of confidence is showing Jimmy that this won’t be another Conan/Jay debacle. That NBC is behind him 100% (Jay and Robert Greenblat do NOT like each other).

Why are you disappointed in Jimmy? What did he do?

• Esaul says:

And that is my point. There was zero confidence in Conan when he took over the Tonight Show. He had seven months (which hardly is enough time) to do a show. They gave him the kick when he wasn’t at fault. His show stayed The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien, not The Tonight Show Starring Conan O’Brien. If the starring implies a vote of confidence, then Conan should’ve had the name change too in theory.

I’m disappointed in Jimmy because of his decision. He hasn’t been hosting Late Night long enough to deserve the promotion to the coveted Tonight Show. Conan worked at Late Night for seventeen years. Tonight Show was his dream. I’m not saying that Jimmy doesn’t deserve the show, just not now. I’m not cynical, I want him to do well, but he just didn’t work nearly as hard or as long as Conan.

• rowan77 says:

They had confidence in Conan. If they didn’t they wouldn’t’ have given him the show. He didn’t perform as well as they wanted in the ratings and those in charge back then decided far too early to stop giving his show a chance to catch on.

But Conan isn’t in the running for the show anymore. Jimmy isn’t taking anything away from anyone. Why should be stall his career because Conan got screwed a few years ago? That makes no sense. The people running NBC are not the same. Zucker and Silverman have been gone for years so it’s a new regime there. Because of what the old regime did to Conan they want Jimmy to know they won’t do that to him. Let the thing with Conan die already. It’s long over and he has a show on another network.

• Esaul says:

You’re using half truths in your response. There’s a trickle effect. Conan’s ratings were bad because of Leno’s ratings. And it had nothing to do with faith when giving the show to Conan. It had to do with a promise made and greed. Nothing more. Faith isn’t giving up after seven months. Faith isn’t shooting someone in the back.

And I never said once that Fallon should stall his career. I did say I hope he does well, that I am not cynical. I respect Fallon tremendously. I just hope this move doesn’t come back to haunt him. Please look more into the context of what I said to get a better understanding of what I’m actually saying.

• rowan77 says:

I use no half-truths. It doesn’t matter if it was Leno’s fault. NBC execs at the time panicked and chose not to support Conan anymore. None of this has anything to do with Jimmy,

I know exactly what you were saying. You wish him well, but think he doesn’t deserve The Tonight Show and that it’s unfair to Conan. I’m saying it’s not. Just like it’s not the new regime’s fault Zucker and Silverman didn’t know how to support Conan (or any of their shows, actually). Everyone involved with the Conan/Leno thing is either gone or has no power over things anymore. Leno doesn’t have any pull with Bob Greenblatt – but Lorne Michaels does and he’s the EP of Jimmy’s Tonight Show.

• Esaul says:

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree on some aspects there. I appreciate that you do understand what I’m saying whereas you do have excellent points I still feel that Jimmy is still in the nurturing stage of his career. He’s talented, no doubt about that. I have no resentment toward Jimmy, and I will follow his move come spring time. I hope he transitions well with Leno’s audience if they so choose to stick around. I apologize for any brash dialogue from my end. It’s definitely been an interesting conversation to have. :P

• rowan77 says:

I think agreeing to disagree is a smart move, too. I think Jimmy will be fine. NBC isn’t really as concerned with keeping the 50+ audience (which is very short sighted since by the end of this year the entire Baby Boomer generation will be over 49 and they still have the most disposable income), but I think Jimmy will grab more of the 18-49 viewers than Leno and that’s what NBC wants most: The demo.

• Esaul says:

Mhm. Agreed.

• wordsmith says:

I think that the change makes sense, given that – like Carson – Fallon’s style is as much performance as hosting. Leno is a good host, but he’s basically just up there chatting and telling jokes as himself.

• wordsmith says:

As another example of what I mean, I’d call it “The Daily Show WITH Jon Stewart” while it’s “The Colbert Report STARRING Stephen Colbert”

2. They would’ve stick with THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JIMMY FALLON not “starting Jimmy Fallon”. Can’t wait to see it next Spring as does Late Night “with” Seth Meyers.

3. Playhouse says:

“With” flows better than ‘Starring’. In the end, it ultimately won’t mean much, but ‘The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon’ is a stronger and more appealing full title.

4. Patrick says:

They ruined Teen TItans. The original show was AWESOME. The new one is awful.

Cartoon Network seems to only care about shows that appeal to little kids.

• ggny says:

that is because that is who the channel is aim at..

• Alan says:

you know most cartoon that perform really well also try to target the peripheral demographics as well right? cartoons that are able to get kids and either teenagers or parents or both watching as well do better. teen titans go is a show thats only aimed at 5 year olds so it can never be as successful as justice league or phineas and ferb because there is no part of the show that appeals to the other demographics. hell even the latest my little pony series aims for a peripheral demographic.

5. Joe says:

the name gone in 60 seconds was already taken.

6. FreeReverie says:

Shirley Jones is playing Shatner’s MOTHER? She’s 3 years younger than him!

7. Steven says:

Shirley Jones is 3 years YOUNGER than William Shatner. Really?

8. Babybop says:

I feel like it won’t even matter with the name change thing. Everyone will call it “The Tonight Show” regardless. Ha ha.

9. cj says:

Name change makes it easier to swap out hosts.

10. I hate to bring this up, but we know what is coming, right? says:

I’m fine with the title change from ‘With’ to ‘Starring’. My question is are they going to put the entire name up in lights out front of the studio in NY? If so, I think they might want to construct the name part – “Jimmy Fallon” on some sort of easy to install/remove set of lights. That way, when … well, you know what I mean.

11. melissaoh says:

I watched the premier of The Winner Is on Monday. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! I was not expecting to be so captivated by another singing show, but the game aspect of the show really put a twist on it. I can’t wait to watch the rest of the season this summer!

12. Anonymous says:

I don’t think we are going to watch Jimmy Fallon. Not on our favorite list. I wonder what they will do if he does not get enough ratings.