Idol's Angie Miller on Risky Song Choices, 'Theatrical' Criticisms and That Duet With Lazaro! Plus: How She Wrote 'You Set Me Free'

Angie Miller may have put college on hold to audition for American Idol, but she definitely put her brain to work mapping out a Season 12 trajectory that took her all the way to a third-place finish.

Angie stopped by TVLine HQ to talk about how she chose lesser-known numbers like “Never Gone” and “Love Came Down,” why she disagreed with the judges when they used “beauty pageant” and “Disney princess” to describe her, and how she’s hoping to infuse her pop-music sound with elements of “edgy” rock and influences from her deeply held Christian beliefs. (Hint: You won’t hear Angie singing “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,” she notes, but you’ll always know where her heart is.)

RELATED | American Idol: 30 Best Performances of All Time

Also on the agenda in this two-part interview: Why Angie never sang her self-penned “You Set Me Free” on a live performance show (and the inside story on how the song came to life); what went wrong with her arrangement of “Someone to Watch Over Me”; and behind-the-scenes scoop on her finale duets with Adam Lambert and Jessie J.

So press play below on Parts 1 and 2 of Angie’s interview — embedded below — then hit the comments with your thoughts on Angie’s music-biz future and her Season 12 run! And for all my Idol-related news, interviews and commentary — including upcoming interviews with Kree Harrison and Candice Glover — follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Dan (Haleyloony) says:

Two frakking parts!

• Joline says:

Two parts!!!!!! Thank you!

• Joline says:

I wish AI would have let Angie sing “You Set Me Free” during the finale instead of the Jessie J thing. If they want successful artists that would have been the perfect launching pad for her single. Now I think it’s just gonna be forgotten.

• Shaun says:

I doubt that very much

• luvthetop5 says:

i totally agree Joline, I’m glad she got to sing with her idol and everything but she had the rest of her career to do this. IMO, i feel that this was a bad career move, especially with the release of her single that night, it would only seem right to maximize on the potential of the single by performing the full single as well as she had earlier in the excerpts we heard in Hollywood to the larger audience of those who watch the finale. The only person who gained from that duet for me is Jessie J.

• Roz says:

I think it was Angie’s “instant gratification” choice to sing with Jessie J instead of singing her single.

• Ray says:

Angie didn’t have a choice. AI told her she wouldn’t be singing You Set Me Free in the finale show. AI had the opportunity of having Jessie J. on the show. Producers made a ratings decision, not a Angie career decision. They don’t seem to be too concerned with her future other than the tour. They are “setting her free” which is probably the best thing to happen regarding her future endeavors.

• Lauren says:

Yay!! Thank you Michael! Can’t wait for Kree and Candice’s interviews as well!

• MichelleR. says:

It could have been one part if they’d edited out all the “likes.”

• Aaron says:

Now maybe her freaky fans will shut-up about how Slezak “isn’t fair” to their precious Angie. But something tells me they will still find something to b!tch about….

• Will says:

Wow, way to be an ass. It must suck to be the people who have to deal with you on a daily basis.

• Aaron says:

Actually it doesn’t since I don’t obsess endlessly about reality television contestants and can carry on conversations about things that actually matter. Sorry Will – better luck next time.

• Nephtalia says:

You don’t obsess about reality TV contestants but there you are watching this interview and complaining about her fans. So you don’t obsess about reality TV contestants but you are obsessed with their fans. I wonder what’s worst.

• Aaron says:

Oh Nephtalia – just read a few posts down and you”ll see clearly that I was right. “He wasn’t very nice to her”, “he didn’t seem very interested”, blah, blah, blah. Who knows, maybe she is a total witch in “reality” and he doesn’t like her. My point is – who cares? I’ve never understood all the cry-babies logging in her and complaining that she wasn’t Michael Slezak’s favorite contestant – so what? He isn’t the be-all, end-all when it comes to who wins so what difference does it make? NONE. And with that I am off – and my point was well proven by her freaky fans.

• Aaron says:

Oh, and truth be told – I am obsessed with Slezak and Melinda – THAT is the only reason I log in and watch – I think both of them are great at what they do.

• Nephtalia says:

Aaron, so you are obsess about Slezak, love what he does and don’t think he deserve to be criticized. How are you then different than Angie’s fans? Doesn’t make sense. Thats the exact same way Angie’s fans feel. And I don’t blame them.
            Idol format brings obsession and passionate fans. Only highly passionate fans will spend 2 hours every Wednesday to vote for someone they don’t know. After doing that for 2 months, it truly hurts when their favorite gets voted off. Slezak is such a well esteem blogger that he gets to interview those guys when they get voted. If someone feel like he was not fair to Angie when she was on. I don’t see why they should not say so. I love Slezak passion, just like I love every fan. Trash talking is what make any competition fun.

• Apreeljandy says:

Angie is near and dear to us fans. Why deny it that Slezak wasn’t even that interested about Angie when it is obvious? Same as when Candice fans deny that their is favoritism in the show towards Candice when it is obvious. Yes, Angie fans can be freaky and obsessed, we can admit that. But can someone just give Angie a break? She’s been stomped on for quite a while now and people seem to forget she is only 19.

2. Bernice says:

Two vids! Love it!

3. harry says:

Great interview! I love Angie! She’s really smart and talented, very insightful interview. Thanks Michael!

4. efe says:

YES FINALLY!

5. TheGirlsRock says:

Love, love, love this girl. I was a little disappointed to hear she has only pieces of other songs ready to go. Makes me think UMG only wanted to get their hands on YSMF. Hopefully she had some help with that deal. Would like to see more of her and Adam creating something together.

Seems like Michael just went through the motions with her….we’ll probably see more passion from him with his favs aka the most boring finale ever.

• April Eunice says:

Michael was never really been an Angie fan.. hahahah! and yeah, his favorite is actually Candice. I would have wanted him to slow down the interview with Angie cause Angie is all I wanted to see =D

• April Eunice says:

i was a bit worried to. but she’s a budding songwriter. you can’t expect her to be great all of a sudden. she needs time to grow as a singer and as a songwriter. She will do it cause she is the most determined one out of the top 10. she is willing to learn what it takes to be great

6. Angie, good choice not stay boxed in CCM. You will touch more people’s hearts by going mainstream. Mainstream needs music like yours , music about love, peace, hope.. I am happy that you do not want to alienate the people who are not Christians cause this means you respect them. I do believe that you will become one of the most influential people in the world when the time comes.

• Lee says:

I have faith in Angie that she will be successful. There have been a lot of spiritual rock artists who have made it big, such as George Harrison, U2, Moby, Bob Dylan, et al. I can’t recall any female spiritual rock singer so I think Angie will be the first.

• Temperance says:

I was much more impressed with her from the finale performances (Adam and Jesse J – two of my faves) andfrom the interview. I am really happy to hear that she’s not going to do Christian music, as that is a complete non-starter with me. I’m perfectly happy with positive message or ‘soulful’ music, but geesh, there is nothing worse in Amercia than having someoone else’s religion shoved in your face. we can all use positivity sans religion.

7. dilia says:

love this girl. i really liked her answer for why she wanted to wait and sing her original song so that the studio version wouldnt be rushed.

8. Interesting that she’s not dead set on being a Christian artist…

• Nicole says:

Christian artists often get pegged into a hole that makes it difficult for artists to break free from. Many people won’t listen to an explicitly “Christian” artist because they have this innocent, often shallow image. Even as a Christian, I have problems listening to a lot of Christian songs and artists because I find that the music on CCM radio panders to the lowest common denominator. Its something that, personally, I am not a fan of.

I personally love artists who explicitly say that they are Christians with references in their songs, and in their lives, but make their music accessible to a wider audience. Bands like U2, Mumford and Sons and Coldplay share the Gospel in their music in an authentic way, much more real life experience with God then theologically unsound, “Jesus is my Boyfriend” type music; same with indie type artists like Josh Garrells and Brandon Heath. Though I am not an Idol fan, I hope that Angie Miller continues to look to these types of artists as an inspiration, rather then the shallow music that is “safe for the whole family”.

• Yeah, agree completely. I have no problem with an artist who happens to be Christian, but in my opinion Angie definitely seemed to be going the Christian artist route a couple of times. I’m happy because while I’m a fan of her voice I probably wouldn’t have bought her music if it had been so narrowly focused.

• Nicole says:

Agreed. I’m rarely a fan of CCM music because its overall quality seems sacrificed for the message, which is really unnecessary.

• HTGR says:

She never once said she had been. In fact she kept saying she wanted her music to easily invite everyone in. It was just some posters kept running around saying that and trying to toss her into that box, despite every evidence to the contrary being shown to them.

• I disagree, not once did she say during her time on the show that she say she didn’t want to go the Christian route. Covering artists such as Colton’s and “Love Came Down” and the obvious religious leanings of her single implied that she very well could have. So sorry, but I disagree with your statement that their was any evidence supporting that she was definitely not going to go in that direction.

• HTGR says:

She directly DID say a couple times she did NOT want to be boxed into being a CC artist and then some of her big bashers would run around and say that they she only wanted to be and was only good for the CC box and should be disregarded.

• MB says:

She did say more than once while on the show jtht she did not want to go the Christian music route but wanted to go more main stream. It was some posters that pigeon holed her as a Christian music artist.

9. Flicker says:

I’ve got a ton of respect for Angie after watching this. Great interview. Love her single!

10. Kristi says:

This was amazing! So great to hear her vision of how certain songs came together. I was so sad that she finished third (although Candice and Kree were arguably better singers than her), but it looks like everything worked out. Can’t wait to hear her album :)

11. Catfish says:

Probabilities are that Angie will be as successful, if not more successful, in the entertainment field than the Idol winner this year. Her duet with Jessie J. demonstrated a good connection with current modern Pop and Dance music – which is where the biggest music market is right now, in younger buyers ……………………………………..

Last I heard, she has more social media buzz and attention than the top 2 finalists. This is because the main teen and tween universe is more tuned-in to Angie than to the top 2 –but it is Idol voters who are mostly 35 to 60 years of age who determined the winner….

Kree already has some Country associated events lined-up, along with the tour, so she will be keeping busy as well.

• JB says:

It’s always funny when fans of contestants who didn’t win but who fit a certain stereotype think that said contestant will do better than the winner. It didn’t happen for Pia, Haley, or Jessica all who have bigger online fanbases than Angie (and by quite a large margin as their seasons were watched more people). In all honesty, all of the non-winners are gonna have a steep climb to make it in the industry. Appearances are easy to come by but with the decline of the music industry’s sales, execs are not waiting to hand out lucrative recording contracts to anyone, even those with prior exposure. Angie appeals to a subset of people who like the Broadway, Glee-like type of singer but we have plenty of those and many of them are better singers than Angie. She’s also not the only person who can play an instrument as much as that may shock some of her fans. An according to this interview, she’s not as versed in songwriting as her fans believed either as YSMF is the only song she’s written entirely at this point. She’ll have just as hard a road as the other nine, IMO. Candice has it made compared to the rest just from the simple fact that she won but her journey will likely be arduous as well.

• Apreeljandy says:

The thing is, Angie is very different in appeal to Haley and Pia. There is something strange and different about Angie that you just can’t afford to box her in a particular stereotype. She has gone as far as 3rd place without anyformal training on singing and to a lesser extent, songwriting. Kree is a professional singer before Idol, Candice has been trying out for 3 years and has honed her vocals. angie is raw talent. Her charisma and strange light attracts people. Angie definitely knows what happened to Pia and Haley, both girls succumbed to the pressure of releasing music that is not their thing. Which is why Angie said in another interview that she will fight for the album that she wants. YSMF is only the beginning of great things to come, and for her to have composed and written that song proves there is still more to offer. Candice, however, will suffer what Haley and Pia suffered… She will be forced to sing music she does not want. interscope forces you to do that which is why i hope and pray the Angie does not sign with Interscope. She is great friends with Pia, i’m sure she has told Angie about the horror that is Interscope.

• deedee says:

Strange light?

• April Eunice says:

hahaha! i know it sounds cheesy. but really, i see light in Angie . and like a fly, i’m attracted it. I hope with all my heart that Angie, Candice and Kree will succeed.. and maybe after 3 or 5 years they can party together when they are rich =D

• Joline says:

And you can box Haley into a particular stereotype?? I don’t think so….

• Erika says:

Haley succumbed to releasing music that was not her thing? Sure, she wrote the album pretty fast but she specifically waited until after the tour to put her all into it. I actually think Haley’s album was what she wanted, and now her sound is evolving (through what she is saying in interviews). It was definitely not the same situation as Pia.

• Nephtalia says:

I agree that it is very naive when people says, you will be successful no matter what. It is the biggest lie cause it is hard for even the winner to be successful. And the winner usually have big backing from executive producers and big shots in the business. So, the road to success for anyone will be hard. I do actually believe that Angie as a winner would have been much better for Idol cause YSMF as her single would have kill the charts forever. She has the looks and the personality to attract teenage girls, and each time I go on tour. Teenage girls are the one filling those seats. 2 weeks before the finale, Angie had double the twitter followers of the current winner so it is clear she was connecting more. Big voices are no longer key to success in today’s market. Originality is the key. Angie’s aura is young and fresh. And I dont know why idol did not let YSMF charts but it is getting twice more reviews than I am beautiful. But all this is the past!
        Angie will have a tough time to be successful now cause contrary to UK XFactor that support all their contestants. Idol feels threatened if a non-winner is outshining their winner in the first year. Then by the time they release them from their contract they are long forgotten. Happen to Haley, Pia, and Jessica, it will also happen to Angie.

• April Eunice says:

I hope that doesn’t happen to Angie. She’s a fighter. She will make it. She will surely not be forgotten.. or at least, i hope she won’t.

• Jill says:

I think the difference with Pia, Haley, and Jessica is that they didn’t have the appeal and charisma that Angie has. Pia and Jessica were boring and Haley’s attitude rubbed people the wrong way. All three of those ladies were great vocalists but that’s not enough to be a successful female artist today. Angie may not have full songs ready to record but my word….SHE’S 19! Give her a minute. I really think when she sits down with experienced co-writers she’ll have some great material to record. And I’m actually kind of glad she didn’t win the show! I think she’ll have much more creative input than an Idol winner has being stuck in the AI machine. After watching this interview, I have even more respect for her now. She’s smart, confident, and seems to know who she is as an artist. I’ll definitely buy her record!

• Roz says:

I agree. It is an uphill climb. Angie keeps referring to an elusive record deal. I keep Googling “Angie Miller record deal”. It hasn’t happened, or it would be in the news. I’ll be surprised if it does.

• Ray says:

Angie is under contract with AI for at least a year because of the tour. There are restrictions as to what she can and can’t do in that year. She could probably sign early with one of the labels that is contractually connected to AI if they wanted her. Hopefully she doesn’t sign with those labels. There is no rush. I don’t believe she can release anything independent of AI until her contract expires in a year. She lost out by allowing You Set Me Free to be released thru AI. Hopefully she doesn’t make that mistake again. She has good people around her to guide her. A hasty decision could hurt her career before it even starts. There are definitely labels that want her. She just needs to go slow and pick the right one.

• April Eunice says:

i say she was tricked. if she knew that would happen, she would have never released her single under AI

• Temperance says:

I’d be fine with all of the top 3 doing well in their genres. Candace was most definately the winner form minute one, but she’s a jazz baby and they aren’t likely to have as large a market. OTOH, Candace really did show she can do everything; hopefully, she’ll stay very well clear of R&B.

• JB says:

R&B is Candice’s favorite genre and what she had stated her second single will be. I’m sure it’ll have touches of th jazzy soul we love her for but there’s pretty much no way she’s staying away from R&B.

12. Kris says:

Angie, you’re the best! Talented with a super duper personality. Please put out some new songs and or a mini album. You have to act ASAP, while you are still fresh in everyone’s mind. You are fresh, fun and awesome! Maybe you can be the opening act for Adam Lambert? Was cheering for you all the way! Good luck! :)

13. Miss O'Ginny says:

It’s Miller time!…..yeah…I just had to.

14. reen says:

Oh, what a great interview, Michael! I have even more respect for her talent. Thank you for the nice length, too.

15. Chablis says:

I thought Michael did s good interview with her. She was not a favorite for me but I liked her more after this interview.

16. Rei says:

She will certainly go further then Candice, who like Rubin will be but a joke in the music world.

• sg54 says:

I hate this comment but I also agree :/ I love Candice to death and I think her talent is unmatched, but I just don’t see her place in the real world. Some of the most talented people we see in these singing shows don’t go anywhere, while a ton of talentless show girls do. Just how it works sometimes. She’s not targeting a popular genre in the first place; Kree’s country and Angie’s pop has just a little more hope simply because they’re more mainstream.
      Not that being mainstream is particularly a good thing; any human being can truly lose one’s way just for money or being popular. Candice should stick to doing what she loves and she’ll probably make a great living, just like amazing artists like Melinda and Fantasia do.

• Apreeljandy says:

You just have to have a little more faith in Candice. There is a reason why she won. But it’s definitely going to be an upgill battle. Kree is country so there will always be success in her genre cause country is open to new artists. Candice and Angie will have a hard journey to the top cause rnb and pop are genres that are difficult to enter especially since home names such as beyonce and pink etc reign supreme. I know Angie and Candice can do it

• syb says:

I think predictions about who will be a success and who won’t are based upon the assumption that the market craves more of the same thing and that the only way to sell records is to follow trends.

I don’t care who wins Idol today, success is not a foregone conclusion, nor is failure for any of them, simply because somebody doesn’t fit squarely in a top 40 niche. The most successful artists don’t emulate those making hits. They bring something different. Candice does sound different than R&B today, and she’s pretty versatile. But whether she sells records beyond her Idol fans is going to be wholly dependent on some factors over which she will have limited or no control. Material, production and marketing. Same is true for all of them.

Unfortunately, the speed at which Candice’s album is to be released does not bode well. But you don’t have to be an overnight success either. If she sticks with it, makes smart decisions, has some luck and can find the right songs, arrangements and production teams she’s got a chance.

Angie’s got a shot because she writes her own material, at least what I’ve heard has appeal, and she’s got more time to make something of good quality. But she’s no guaranteed superstar either. The woods are filled with female pop balladeers. She’ll need that one song that everyone wants to hear to vault.

• MamaLis says:

Honestly, when I read stuff like this, it blows my mind. I mean really, it’s just ignorance. Some time, when you have some time, go to the NPR Website (for instance) or NPR Music on I Tunes, and check-out the breadth and MAGNITUDE of artists and genres of music. While I’m certain you’ve never heard of most of them, they’ve all found niches in the music industry and they all have respectable, viable careers in music. Seriously, you should do it; it’s eye opening.
        Regarding Candice, just last night I happened to see BET and I saw the lovely and enormously talented Jill Scott performing. She SO has always reminded me of our Candice. R & B with a jazz influence. Slightly off the beaten path. HUGE career and STILL relevant and selling records. Candice could go down that path and be fantastic and that’s just one example of so many.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Why do you Angie fans have to be so nasty?

• deedee says:

Rei, Rubin is not “a joke”, and neither is Candice, unless you define “a joke” as anyone who falls short of mega global superstardom. Then, I hope you include yourself in the “joke” category, too.

• HTGR says:

Rubin is not a joke. Simply not lighting up the charts does NOT mean you are a musical joke!
      Angie does seem to have more that sort of star quality and better fit to a younger set that drives music, so she might go farther than Candice (overall I even thought she had simply done better than Candice by the very end too and adjusted better and could keep things simple at times, although on this site I’m in a clear minority in that viewpoint since it was 100% Candice central here), but Candice was good and winning gets you a lot more backing and recently the winners have all done much better than anyone in third regardless of who was in first and who was in third.
      Really I just hope they both manage to do super great.

• Apreel says:

I agree that we are in the minority here.. Haha.. In the finale, i saw how Angie went full circle: musician, singer, performer. She did it in a span of 3 months in idol and i was i Impressed. If there was one contestant who have outgrown themselves, it’s Angie. From her amateur, raw singing to the controlled, polished voice in her duet with Adam. From the awkwardness without the piano to the immense stage presence with Jessie J. I’m sad that she didn’t win, as i believe she is just as deserving to be in the top 2 as candice and kree. But i think Angie is willing to learn more. There is so much promise in the way she shows herself. I’m excited for her

17. hams says:

angie is smart and intelligent artist. she knows what music is. im impressed of how she tackle all this music stuff and how she able to write song very quick.she will go far and I think her elimination made her more famous than the two others.shes the most deserved contestant to win but I think she will be more successful without AI management.her single is amazing and she launches sooner than the winner

18. julia says:

great interview! the only thing i was sad about was no mention of her “stay” duet with candice. that was one of the best moments of the whole season. please tell me candice is going to talk about it.

19. DonB says:

To be highly successful in the music world as a singer requires several very good songs. The world is full of people with really great voices. I go to listen at two colleges nearby as well a regional theater group and I hear magnificent voices. But none of them is highly successful in the musical world as people are projecting Candice, Kree, and Angie will or won’t be. To make a lot of money at gold mining a person has to find gold. In the music business finding gold is finding the songs.

Angie has one leg up in that regard. She has songs in her head already, although they are only bits and pieces, andn Her hurdle is the songs that she may create have to appeal to a large audience, not just to her. Usually a collaborator or collaborators provide the feedback as the vocal coach gave to her when she decided to originally sing YSMF. I think she needs a co-writer, as she so intelligently suggested in the interview. I also thought she was the most adaptable and best learner of this year’s contestants. I can’t think of one judge’s criticism that she didn’t correct, even if it took a couple performances. The highlight of the season for me isn’t even one people would consider. I thought the repartee and intelligence she exhibited with Harry Connick about the songs in general and the riff on Harry’s non-existent song were original in a way seldom seen anymore. You can see why I think she would take off with a collaborator or co-writer of some experience. I hope whomever signed her for songwriting recognizes that importance for their success and hers.

• Nephtalia says:

I agree with this so much. Thats why I feel a slimmer of hope for Angie. Idol nation loves big voices and vocal gymnastics. In the real world if you are looking at the top 20 on itunes, very few have big voices. Idol is like most colleges. What they teach has nothing to do with reality. But the most successful teenage girl in today’s market share the same characteristics as Angie.
      Angie’s success if it happen will take time. Time for her to collaborate and find those songs in her head. But if she gets Idol support. I believe she will be the most idol of S12.

• April Eunice says:

Idol definitely loves big voices. but you need MORE than just a big voice. between an artist and a singer, the singer survives on the artist’s materials.. they live on their songs, singers depend on them. if you are an artist AND AT THE SAME TIME A SINGER, their is a promise of longevity. I believe Angie is that artist. she is a singer and an aritst..

20. Stefanie says:

Great interview. I have always loved watching your interviews with the Idols Michael. You ask such insightful questions and really bring out the best in everyone. Love Angie. Very sweet, self-aware and smart. Hearing about her thought process and her feelings on everything was great. Loved it and can’t wait to see what the future holds for her.

21. karenb says:

Still not a fan. Candice please.

22. Opa says:

So impressed with this young gal, is she the “best”? No but who cares, I love her for who she is and the passion she brings to her music. She loves the process not just the result and whether or not she becomes a “star” she will find true success living a life doing what she loves.

• Krista says:

Great comment. I think it pertains to many of the Idols and the contestants as a whole. I know that for me, I gravitate more towards the artists who have some input/writing into the music. Sales really isn’t a criteria for me and I think many of the contestants/winners are just happy to have made it onto the stage. The rest is just icing on the cake. What a great experience for these kids. They’ll never forget it.

23. HTGR says:

Yeah I don’t know what was up with the piano thing. If all she ever did was the piano that would’ve been a sure why to have become the early shock boot. Between that and the princess talk…. not sure what they were trying to do. I mean she broke out with Halo and then they are like nooo no nooooo back to the piano for you my pretty. Why? Maybe that is why they are bleeding more and more viewers, they keep trying to force and manipulate this or that.
    Interesting explanation for why she didn’t do her song then. But gah why did they switch it up last second for top three and not let her do it then. All very…. odd.
    I think the criticism for the Diamonds arrangement came the same week they did that sudden 180 on their criticism for everyone.
    A huge shame her single couldn’t chart. They totally killed the critical huge early momentum for her with that. Instead of charting all over and building steam…. oh well, a shame, since making it often is just that one lucky break and big push that sweeps you up. OTOH, she was the first they did that for who didn’t make the finale, so in that sense though more than plenty half full.
    I still wonder whether they purposefully made it not be able to chart (in which case why would they seem so excited to release it right away at all though?) or were stuck with contracts that prohibited it (and were sick to their stomach about it that aspect of it themselves). I tend to be believe the latter. Otherwise they are more lost than even I’ve ever thought (and I’m not sure that is possible, so I bet they were just tied up with contract issues).

• HTGR says:

I think she may do well. She seemed to absorb the helpful comments (and know which of the bizarre critiques to toss off and ignore) far better than anyone over the season and you could just see how much she transformed for her uptempo performances and stage presence at the end. It is a tricky road though, hopefully she will find some backer to really believe in her and give her the proper push, just being on Idol alone isn’t a big enough push these days unless you win.

• Apreel says:

The judges just didn’t know what to do with her anymore cause there came a point where she corrected her flaws that there was just nothing left to comment on, hence the ridiculous piano, pageantry, theatrical comments…

24. HTGR says:

But mostly just congrats on an awesome season! And damn with those finale performances! It was so nice that Titanium was just kept nice and delicate and simple. Best luck (and anyone in this business does need it) and best success!

25. TheGirlsRock says:

Geez Michael..could you spare the time for maybe a quality interview or are you saving that for your favorites? So patronizing. I can’t believe she was so patient and kind while probably knowing you were not a fan at all.

I enjoy your stuff but this time….not so much.

• deedee says:

For real? If you think Angie should only ever be interviewed by fawning sycophants, then she’s going to have a very short PR life. And besides … where is there even a hint of patronizing? Michael was nothing but gracious and kind as ever.

• My Alter Ego says:

Well said, deedee!

• TheGirlsRock says:

Horse pucky….I’ve watched these for years. He was disinterested and not invested to say the least. It’s a testament to her she came off so well. We’ll see the difference with his favs and yes… he’s allowed to have favs.

Obviously Michael has his share of sycophants so it’s not uncommon. I just did not like his treatment of this particular interview.

• Apreel says:

We all know michael is not an Angie fan and never will be. But i’m thankful there are two parts of the interviews. I miss seeing Angie talk, sing and smile .. Thank you for this amazing interview

26. tewence says:

i hope this interview shed some light on who she really is. as much as i like her, i’ll admit that she did come off fake at times (i personally chalk that up to being on a tv show), but this interview certainly shows her as a well-spoken, intelligent, connected, and mature artist. hopefully this will garner her some respect that wasn’t given to her originally by some.

it’s interesting…i really do love all 3 of these girls (candice, kree, angie), but there is something about angie that she has on them. it’s whatever that “it” thing is that can’t be taught or learned.

just my humble opinion, though. :) best of luck to her.

27. Ray says:

This interview with Angie was enjoyable.It was nice to see her in a more relaxed and natural state without the glam makeup the AI crew were using for her performances. I continue to be impressed with her maturity, intelligence, aspirations, and affable personality. The girl is always smiling. Its easy to forget that she is only 19 with no prior formal training to prepare her for the “Idol” journey. She is such a raw talent right now. She seems to be a quick learner who is willing to put in the long hours to hone her skills.It makes one wonder how good she can be with some professional vocal training. Her success is hard to predict at this time as so it is for all the contestants. There are so many variables that need to come together to achieve success -quality of vocals, song selection, strong management team, quality marketing, producers tuned into the artist, etc.. Sign a bad contract or be with a record label that won’t produce and market you properly and your career is over before it starts. Naturally I hope all of the contestants achieve their goals. Past contestants have a pretty good track record. True that most of them have not attained true “star” status but they are making a pretty good living in their chosen field. I believe Angie will be successful in her endeavors just as I believe that Candice, Kree, Amber, and Janelle will also be successful. No need to hate any of these young ladies. They are to be admired for pursuing their dreams.

28. Shaun says:

I hope she gets to work with someone talented who believes in her.Carly Rae Jepsen got a little love from Bieber and her unknown music took off.I think she has the types of songs that few singers cover.I think she’d be good going on tour with Alicia Keys or someone else who plays piano alot.

29. Mari says:

Her single is amazing and she should have sung it instead of singing with Jessie J. Her duo with Adam was great tho.

30. AlyB says:

Great interview Michael. Thank You! Angie is a really talented young woman and she seems to have the energy and determination to really make a go of this opportunity. I wish her well in her post Idol career.

31. dj says:

It’s nice to see a two-parter again. Angie has talent, that’s for sure. It will be interesting to see what her post-Idol music is like.

32. james says:

She probably has the best chance at long-term success in Christian music, but regardless, I love this girl. It’s heartbreaking as a fan to hear that she would’ve done “You Set Me Free” in top 3 week. Could’ve been the breakout moment she (and the season) needed.

• AlyB says:

I didn’t really understand her reasoning on that. She says she didn’t do it in top 4 week because she didn’t want to be rushed producing the song and give away creative control on the studio version. Top 3 week would have been even worse with the home visits going on in terms of time crunch. Why would she have done it in an ever shorter time schedule? If she’s saying she definitely would have done it top 3 week then her reasons for not doing it top 4 week don’t make any sense. In the end, she says this was the best possible outcome anyway since she got to spend the time on it that she wanted to.

• April Eunice says:

because she knows top 3 week was the most crucial week and she wanted so baadly to get into the finale. YSMF was a winning single and it would have closed the whole competition at top 3 week. I think she just wanted to be in the finale because the runner up will always be signed together with the winner.

33. Guitar Blue says:

From WIKIPEDIA’s latest post that I can find, here is a run-down of digital sales – does not include physical sales. Just showing #23 to 43 of their listing. Candice’s song will likely continue to make sales and grow the numbers, but usually the bigger spike in sales is the first week from the finale. PP’s mega-hit “home” was an exception as it kept gaining momentum from the Olympics and commercials that grabbed the song following the Olympics. It was the “perfect storm” for a big hit, going 3X platinum at over 4 million digital sales.
    Position/Name Season / place sales.
    23 Ruben Studdard 2 (1st) 455,000[8]
    39 Candice Glover 12 (1st) 48,000a
    40 Kristy Lee Cook 7 (7th) 45,000a
    41 Jessica Sanchez 11 (2nd) 39,000a
    42 James Durbin 10 (4th) 37,000a
    43 Stefano Langone 10 (7th) 28,000a

34. Jill says:

Thanks for these interviews Michael! I think they really give us a sense of who these individuals are…much more so than silly weekly snippets we get on AI. I was a fan of Angie’s on the show but I really gained more respect from her by watching this interview. She seems to be a smart, confident girl with a real understanding of who she wants to be as an artist. We all have our favorites and that’s based simply on personal preference. That’s why I am hoping Candice, Angie, Kree, and Janelle all find success in the future. They are all so different and I think there is room for all of them in the genres they have chosen.
    …IMHO…Have to give Angie a nudge over the rest though because I do think she has far more personality, charisma, and just the “It” factor that the others don’t quite seem to have…yet.

35. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate
    if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited
    from your writing. Cheers!