Grey's Finale Sneak Peeks: As the Superstorm Rages, Mer's 'Intense' Childbirth Begins….

Get More: Finales, Video

Oh, baby! With a superstorm sweeping through Seattle in the Grey’s Anatomy Season 9 finale this Thursday, there is no shortage of drama to be found.

Explaining her decision to shift gears, scrap her original finale plan and brew up a storm, show boss Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine, “I always really like us to set ourselves up at the end of the season so that we’re in a place where we’re reinventing the show and starting fresh. So I came to the realization that we’re going to get complacent if we did what we were going to do. So we decided to do something different.”

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

Rhimes notes that her finale vision always involved a storm of some magnitude, but “the stakes of what happen to certain people definitely weren’t going to play out the way that they do now.” Including but not limited to an “intense” childbirth scenario for Meredith (get more scoop here).

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Finale Preview: Shonda Rhimes on the ‘Calzona’ Scene that Left the Cast ‘Stunned’

As seen in this three-pack of video sneak peeks from the episode, Meredith’s ready to deliver, but labors to buy time until proper help can arrive — cue her person Cristina with distracting prattle… Arizona coaches her troops to help other makers of baby humans feel calm amid the mayhem, only to get flustered herself by Lauren’s offer of help… and Callie and Bailey lay witness to an event that’s sure to flood the ER.

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

Comments (58)

• I SWEAR that if aaaaanything happens to either Derek, Meredith or the baby – I’m totally quitting the show. Seriously!

Comment by Norwegian-Girl – May 14, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I said last week when I saw the preview.

Comment by Donna D. – May 14, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am quite sure the baby will be fine.I don’t think Shonda would put him in danger. I am definitely more worried about Meredith and Derek.

Comment by Fren – May 14, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They have a contract for next year. I honestly don’t think Shonda would do anything to them either.

Comment by Mary – May 15, 2013 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Esperamos um final feliz,para todos que prestigiaram os episódios de Grey´s Anatomy até agora,e que vcs possam a dar continuidade a essa série,que e muito apaixonante…obrigada a todos que tiveram o carinho e a dedicação de publicar cada post e mensagem,e alegrar as nossas vidas…Parabéns a todos do elenco,diretores,etc…bjs. Carmen

Comment by Carmen lucia – May 14, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ll be fine! Matthew is dead for sure, though.

Comment by Olivia – May 14, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been saying that since George died, that if anything happens to my favorite characters, I’ll quit… But somehow I just can’t do it, Shonda keeps me so locked that I just can’t stop watching :D And obviously something always happens to them, but still, here I am :D

Comment by vveera – May 14, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much for a quiet introspective season finale

Comment by Lo – May 14, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like those finales are really underrated. Sometimes it’s totally fine to not have a BIG GIANT, WHO WILL LIVE/DIE!!!!!!” event. Sometimes it’s nice to just end a season with everything clam and everyone (fairly) happy.

Comment by Addie – May 14, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *calm

Comment by Addie – May 14, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally. There can be internal conflict and drama (i.e Callie cheating, April and Avery, Owen still wanting kids), without a plane crash, superstorm, crazy shooter, etc. It is now starting to border on the ridiculous. After losing Lex and Mark last year, I would have loved for a simple finale this year… alas, it was not to be :(

Comment by Lo – May 14, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Completely agree. It just doesn’t impact the same way as before. Nothing shocks anymore!
          I’d prefer a quiet but meaningfull finale. Which could be equally heartbreaking if well written.

Comment by Ninna – May 15, 2013 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dat Bus.

Comment by Soopah-Soopah-Soopah – May 14, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith, Derek and the baby!!! Can’t wait.

Comment by Jessica – May 14, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not one doctor grabbed a fire extinguisher before they run out towards a bus on fire? lol.

Comment by Jpdx – May 14, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah… because when a van is on fire and is about to explode, the logical thing you do is, you run TOWARDS the fire. This show is so ridiculous at times…

Comment by SJ – May 14, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are called First Responders. It is their job to run towards the fire. Anything else would be ridiculous.

Comment by Steven Reines – May 14, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, considering these people are all trained medical professionals with triage experience, and one is literally a firefighter… yes, I’m thinking that’s what they would do.

Comment by Jane – May 14, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, we now all know how you would deal in an emergency situation.

Comment by rowan77 – May 14, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Matthew is sooo dead!

Comment by shred05 – May 14, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be terribly cliché if that happened, especially since he just proposed, but I’m guessing that it’s inevitable…

Comment by I hate spammers – May 14, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this will a be good episode can’t wait to see it, hoping that Arizona didn’t go all the way with Lauren.

Comment by Ted – May 14, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t really matter if she did or didn’t, she kissed her, she locked the door, she cheated. Callie was cheated on by George, there’s no way her character would tolerate any sort of cheating again. When she finds out, they’re done.

Side note: it annoys me when characters on TV have the same name as me and they’re a villain. Rargh. There never seems to be any nice Laurens on television.

Comment by Lauren – May 14, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Poor Lauren. LOL
        Don’t give up just yet.

But it’s true, that Lauren is a good piece of human garbbage as the Owen’s slut was/is. And as the garbbage they’re I expect they get treated adequatelly and tossed into the trash bin.

Comment by Ninna – May 15, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welp it looks like April’s new engagement will be short-lived. He’s totally going to bite the dust helping someone, and Jackson will be there to pick up the pieces.

Comment by Ashleah Youn – May 14, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. Unless Jackson is the one who gets hurt during the rescue and April realizes how close she was to losing him and dumps Mathew. I don’t care how it happens- I just want Japril back together!

Comment by Laura – May 14, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope not! I like Matthew a lot, i think he would be the best for April.. Plus, it would be a lot too much like the Danny-Izzie-Alex storyline..

Comment by L* – May 14, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Meredith is hilarious. Better nothing happens to the baby. This is what I’m looking forward for.

April’s fiance is so going to bite it, and we’ll have next season like s3 with Izzie. Ehh

Comment by Tia – May 14, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I’m picturing a scene that mirrors the S2 finale- Jackson will probably lift April off Matthew’s dead body. Be careful April, you might end up with cancer 3 years from now!

Comment by Addie – May 14, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HA! I can totally picture the scene.

Comment by Tia – May 14, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bitchy Arizona and pissed Lauren. Hmm..maybe there are Calzona gods after all. <3<3

Comment by nitemar – May 14, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn. Is Owen gonna die!?

Comment by justme – May 14, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The focus of if Cristina talked to him or not, could be foreshadowing that he’s the one who’s life is hanging as a cliff.

Comment by Jessica – May 14, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep Arizona & Lauren together……

Comment by Mareesa – May 14, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dodge a bick going your way¡%!!!!%%#@:’(:’(:’(>….<,O_OO_O

Comment by rmr – May 14, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Comment by Ted – May 14, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The worst thing Shonda can do is to keep homewreck (Lauren) in the season 10

Comment by Ted – May 14, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Homewreck? Come on it’s a show. Chemistry – cant deny it :) or their kiss wouldn’t have been that hot…..

Comment by Mareesa – May 14, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not my name of her somebody on Tumblr justed it, We have to wait and see what will happen between Arizona and Lauren. it will be interesting to see

Comment by Ted – May 14, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG matt is so dead, i could’t imagine anything different. i hope the best for MerDer and the baby, if anything happens to the baby i will not watch this show anymore!

Comment by martina – May 14, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do hope nothing happens to Matt, though i’m afraid that it will happen something to him. Trying to be all “hero”. And then April will be heartbroken like the whole season 10? No, no, no.. She’s supposed to be happy with Jackson!

Comment by hege88 – May 14, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m putting it out there – it will be Cristina in jeopardy. It’ll be Owen’s wake up call; he’ll finally realize that a dream of having kids is not worth losing the reality of what he has with Cristina. Owen has a really romanticized vision of parenting. Cristina in jeopardy will finally make him come to his senses.

Comment by Tania – May 14, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t buy that a superstorm would hit Puget Sound. A superstorm is a cyclone. I realize there are a few historical records of cyclones hitting the Northwest, but they are so incredibly rare and infrequent and are usually not very strong in intensity compared to the type of superstorms that hit the Northeast. Plus, you know, whenever Seattleites get news that a big rainstorm is coming, they just blink at you and say “And?” Even when the rivers are expected to reach flood stage (which is all the time), they don’t take it too seriously. They just go put the sand bags out and keep an eye on it. I can’t really suspend my disbelief on this one. Stupid Grey’s.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 14, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you watched this show EVER??? Seriously, Izzie talked to ghosts, 85 doctors have died in some type of fashion and that’s the least of the doctors’ troubles. Questioning the legitimacy of a cyclone hitting the Northwest makes me laugh.

Comment by UKD – May 14, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Britta’s got a point. There were always real-world reasons for the deaths on the show and even Izzy’s ghost (loved Denny, hated the ghost-lover storyline) was caused by tumors pressing on her brain. For some people in the know, this is a little too far-fetched, because, scientifically speaking, it can’t actually happen. I’ll watch anyway because I love a good disaster on a TV show (as opposed to real life where it’s something to avoid when at all possible).

Comment by rowan77 – May 14, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A hurricane is classified as a tropical cyclone. Hurricane Sandy last year was considered a Superstorm because of the immense damage. As for Seattle, the waters in the Pacific are too cold for a hurricane to manifest, let alone a Superstorm. Even with global warming, it’s still to cold. Perhaps they should have done some research and called it a Supercell storm, which is a massive thunderstorm with winds that creates a great deal of damage, but is not a cyclone.

Comment by rowan77 – May 14, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly Britta. I grew up in Seattle and we had an occasional bad windstorm or freezing rain, but nothing ‘superstorm’-esque. I now live in Houston and have seen a couple hurricanes and those are definitely superstorms. So yes, I agree, completely implausible and ridiculous.

Comment by Loni – May 14, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is anyone paying attention Owen has to Die!!! I like Owen and it will be lousy to lose him too but its a must and for the Greater good especially if Greys has only one Season left. Bailey MUST BE CHIEF!!! If Bailey doesn’t become Chief then the whole Series was pointless.

Comment by BingeWatcher RI – May 14, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does Cristina say at the beginning of the clip???

Comment by luli – May 14, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she says that “Owens out of town?”…

Comment by Norwegian-Girl – May 15, 2013 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I heard as well.

Comment by justme – May 15, 2013 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post