Bill Hader Announces Saturday Night Live Departure: 'It Has to Happen at Some Point'

Bill Hader Leaving SNLR.I.P. Stefon.

Bill Hader has tendered his resignation at Saturday Night Live, with this weekend’s season finale serving as his swan song.

“It was a hard decision, but it has to happen at some point,” Hader told The New York Times. “It got to a point where I said, ‘Maybe it’s just time to go.'”

RELATED | Seth Meyers Poised to Exit SNL: Who Should Replace Him at ‘Weekend Update’?

Hader joined SNL in 2005 and quickly became known for his spot-on celebrity impersonations of James Carville, Al Pacino, and Julian Assange. But it was an original creation — flamboyant “Weekend Update” city correspondent Stefon — that made him a household name.

News of Hader’s departure comes as SNL faces the loss of several other key castmembers, including Late Night-bound Seth Meyers and chronic question Jason Sudeikis. There’s buzz that Fred Armisen may be on his way out too.

PHOTOS | Saturday Night Live: 25 Dream Hosts

SNL EP Lorne Michaels tells the Times that Sudeikis and Armisen are in the process of “making their decisions,” adding, “I’ve said what I wanted to say to both. You never keep anybody there who doesn’t want to be there, and there is a right time to leave, but it’s more about where they are in their lives.”

1. Steven says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

2. Lanie says:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! With him and Seth Meyers leaving Wknd Update, what’s the point? The only good shows these days are when Justin Timberlake is on and most of the skits that Bill Hader is in and Wknd Update.

3. Brian says:

Wow, so that’s Hader, Meyers, and Pedrad. I thought Sudeikis and Armisen also mentioned leaving after this season at some point.

4. gabby says:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

5. S. from E. now says:

Noooooooo )=

6. Tammy says:

I hate to see Bill leave I love him to death – don’t go Bill your leaving us with almost nothing to watch. All the good ones will be gone when you leave!!

7. anja says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

That’s even worse than Kristen leaving last year

8. Amanda Black says:

I think he can go on to be a big star. He has real potential and is so talented. I’ll miss him on SNL though.

9. Line says:

First Kristen and Andy, now Bill and Seth…NO, I can’t handle that

10. Buffy0531 says:

They have a chance to start over, they have some new talent. What they really need to do is hire some new writers. You can have all the comedic talent on the planet, if there’s no one decent to write for them…

• Kent says:

Exactly! The writing has been dismal the past few years. The only bright side of losing all these great players is that it might force the writers to actually come up with some new characters for a change!

11. Brendan says:

Am really going to miss Hader, but It’s far past time for Armisen to leave.

12. Crena says:

I’ll miss Stefon! the best correspondent on Weekend update! Bill Hader – you will be missed!

I think they would promote Kate McKinnon to the main cast from featured player – she is really good!

• I agree. Kate McKinnon is here to stay as does Cecily Strong. Don’t know if newcomers Aidy Bryant and Tim Robinson are joining them as well.

• Jason says:

Am I crazy or is Aidy Bryant the worst cast member the show has ever had. Not one funny performance or line reading I have seen yet!!

13. Aprilcot says:

Bummer. His impressions are spot on but I’ve always felt that he has been criminally underused on SNL. I mean, how many times has the guy played a game show host? He was quite funny in Superbad and Forgetting Sarah Marshall…here’s hoping for a promising post-SNL career.

• filmex2000 says:

Along with Stefon, I think one of his best characterizations was his impression of “Dateline’s” Keith Morrison, who came off as sort of a ghoulish vampire-reporter. Hilarious, because it caught so much of Morrison’s actual Grand Guignol vibe.

14. mojackcity says:

OH No!!! No Stefon!!! Not much to look forward to anymore with this show….

15. ByeSNL says:

The show is going to be UNWATCHABLE now.
    Writing stinks, talent is waning.
    Shame.

16. SNLFan says:

YAY!!!!

17. Fred Armisen and Jason Sudeikis may be next to join Hader but I’m kind of wondering if Kenan Thompson is also next on the list.

18. KND says:

Stefon…Nooooooo!!!!!!

19. Amanda says:

This is epic suckage news for SNL, sometimes watching Hader try not to crack up is the best thing about the show. That along with Stefon and Weekend update.

20. Sandra says:

I suppose it was about time, but I will miss Hader so much. He is one of the funniest and most versatile actors on the show in my opinion. I’ll look forward to see what he’ll do next.

But I have to say I look forward to the generation shift on the show with Seth, Fred and Jason leaving in the near future because as much as I’ll miss them, the new recruits are incredible and don’t get nearly enough screen time.

21. Nat says:

That is the biggest loss SNL could have had. Sucks.

22. TV Critic says:

Well,

Better make a reality series out of this in order to find new talent.

23. Blinged Up says:

My favorite SNL cast member. Just went to follow him on twitter, so I can keep up with what he’ll be doing now, but I don’t see him there……
    I’ll watch for him though. Hope he has a great post-SNL career.

24. gradyspop says:

It’s funny to see all the posts. “It’s the end of SNL!!!!!: The sky is falling!!!!” Guess what, SNL has been through this before, several times. There will be new people, new characters, and new fun. There might be a down year or 2, but it always comes back.

25. sharon says:

SNL writers are awful, good for him to jump ship. He’s funny, he’ll have a long career ahead of him

26. Ruby says:

I am seriously heartbroken over this news. I literally watch every single episode hoping for Stefon and/or Hader’s breaks in his skits. I ADORE him. There’s nobody left that even interests me now! (Except maybe Cecily Tyson, she’s pretty awesome.)

27. DreamRose311 says:

It wouldn’t have been quite the same without Seth behind the desk anyway… though I can imagine some funny ‘who are you?!’ looks from Stefon with whoever the new person will be…

but… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

28. Steve Garcia says:

Oh Stefon where am I going to go?

29. Midori says:

He is not a household name, he is one of the worst people on SNL, and that says something. He laughs more at the skits than the 4 million people watching combined. Stefon has never made it through without laughing, he just isn’t very good and I will not miss him at all.

• You realize that’s kind of the point of the Stefon segments, right? The segment is written specifically TO make Hader laugh–barring a few portions that Hader knows are coming (like when he says particular words in an exaggerated tone, like “Spicy!”), he’s seeing and delivering the material for the first time.

• Jason says:

I kind of wonder if that is genuine laughter or that is a put on character trait that he laughs at his own behavior. Because he does it every time. And I thought Lorne Michaels doesn’t like when people laugh!!! That was an edict of the original show to not be like Carol Burnett!!

30. KitKat says:

What about Kenan???? He has to go!

31. cjeffery7 says:

there’s gonna be a real changing of the guard on SNL this summer. best of luck to everyone!

32. caleighclark says:

Reblogged this on Caleigh Clark Revealed and commented:
    I am screaming, “Noooooooooooooo!” Bill Hader can you hear me? Don’t leave!

33. Larina Lee says:

my co-worker’s step-mother makes $73 an hour on the internet. She has been fired for six months but last month her pay check was $12102 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more… >>> FOX86.CℴM

34. jane says:

Sad to see Hader go. I hope they give him a proper send off. I was upset last year when they made such a big deal out of Kristen Whig leaving and not Andy Samberg. He won an Emmy for one of his digital shorts and he didn’t get to dance with Mick Jagger! Wonder who will fill the weekend update chair now that Seth is leaving?? Maybe Tina Fey will come back as head writer. She doesn’t currently have a tv show. Mya Rudolph doesn’t either. Return of the early 2000’s! I thought the show was funnier before Seth became head writer anyway. Out of the new cast members I vote Jay Pharoh or Cecily Strong to be the new anchor.

35. Zoe says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! STEFON NO PLEASE NO!

……………It’s sad, but everyone leaves SNL eventually. Bill was truly one of the greats. Hope he’ll drop by for a hosting gig or a cameo on occasion.

36. John says:

I wonder when Lorne will finally do the right thing and put this show out of its misery.

37. Sarabi says:

Goodbye, Stefon! :(
    However, I have to say that I’m looking forward to seeing the younger castmembers find their place. Especially Kate McKinnon! :)

38. yellowrose624 says:

Oh my dear delusional friends. The same cry has been made as others made their way out the door; Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris, Loraine Newman. How we howled and screamed. How COULD the show continue. But then to our wondering eyes, more came and went, the same questions were asked. So rest easy little ones, let’s see how SNL rescues itself just as it has in the past.

39. Faster says:

I’m guessing this means they didn’t offer him the Weekend Update spot. Shame. Fingers crossed for Sudeikis.

40. T.K. says:

SNL has become awful. I say…close the show down forever. The majority of the skits are so stupid, and lack any of the real comedic character that was so ever-present years ago. Close her down, baby!!!

41. Kent says:

As much as I’ve enjoyed the show over all these years, it seems like the right time to stop. Lorne Michaels will be going with Jimmy Fallon to produce The Tonight Show, as well as Seth Meyer’s Late Night. The writers are so much better on Late Nite with Jimmy Fallon, it really wouldn’t be much of a loss if SNL was laid to rest.