Fall TV Scoop: CBS Picks Up 8 Series, Including Sarah Michelle Gellar's Crazy Comedy, Josh Holloway's Intelligence and Chuck Lorre's Mom

CBS New Fall Shows 2013 Crazy OnesUPDATED: CBS has ordered six seven eight new series for the 2013-14 season, including the Robin Williams-Sarah Michelle Gellar comedy Crazy Ones and the Josh Holloway-Marg Helgenberger drama Intelligence.

Also getting a green light are legal drama Reckless, Jerry Bruckheimer’s conspiracy thriller Hostages and the sitcoms Mom (Anna Faris!), The Millers (Will Arnett!), Friends With Better Lives (the Beek!) and We Are Men (Monk!).

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Among the noteworthy pilots not getting the go-ahead from CBS — at least not at the moment: Hart Hanson’s Backstrom, adaptations of Beverly Hills Cop and Bad Teacher and a spin-off of NCIS: LA. (CBS’s complete development slate can be found here.)

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

Crazy Ones (Comedy)
EP | David E. Kelley (Harry’s LawAlly McBeal)
DIRECTOR | Jason Winer (Modern Family)
CAST | Robin Williams (Mork & Mindy), James Wolk (Political Animals), Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ringer), Hamish Linklater (The New Adventures of Old Christine), Amanda Setton (Mindy Project)
A father/daughter workplace comedy set in the world of advertising.

The Millers (Comedy)
EP | Greg Garcia (Raising Hope)
DIRECTOR | James Burrows
CAST | Will Arnett (Up All Night), Margo Martindale (The Americans), Beau Bridges (My Name Is Earl), JB Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Mary Elizabeth Ellis (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Michael Rapaport (The Mob Doctor)
The multi-cam project revolves around a recently divorced man living with his parents.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s Still on the Bubble?

Mom (Comedy)
EPs | Chuck Lorre, Eddie Gorodetsky and Gemma Baker (Two and a Half Men)
DIRECTOR | Pam Fryman (How I Met Your Mother)
CAST | Anna Faris (The House Bunny), Allison Janney (The West Wing), Nate Corddry (Harry’s Law), Matt Jones (Breaking Bad), French Stewart (3rd Rock From the Sun), Spencer Daniels (The Office), Sadie Calvano (J. Edgar), Blake Garrett Rosenthal
A newly sober single mom tries to pull her life together in Napa Valley in the multi-cam sitcom.

We Are Men (Comedy)
EP | Rob Greenberg (How I Met Your Mother)
CAST | Jerry O’Connell (The Defenders), Kal Penn (House), Tony Shalhoub (Monk), Chris Smith (Paranormal Activity 3)
A ditched groom moves into a short-term housing complex and makes friends with some older, divorced dudes in the single-cam sitcom.

Friends With Better Lives (Comedy)
EPs | Dana Klein (Friends), Aaron Kaplan
CAST | James Van Der Beek (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23), Brooklyn Decker (The League), Kevin Connolly (Entourage), Majandra Delfino (Roswell), Zoe Lister Jones (Whitney), Rick Donald
A multi-cam comedy revolving around a group of 30something friends who each think the other has it better.

Hostages (Drama)
EPs | Jerry Bruckheimer (CSI), Rick Eid (CSI, Dark Blue)
CAST | Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story), Toni Collette (United States of Tara), Tate Donovan (Deception), Sandrine Holt (House of Cards), Rhys Coiro (Entourage), Billy Brown (The Following), James Naughton (Gossip Girl), Mateus Ward, Quinn Shephard
Based upon the Israeli format, the project centers on a family caught in the middle of a grand political conspiracy and a righteous FBI agent at the center of said conspiracy whose role will come as a surprise.

Intelligence (Drama)
EPs | Michael Seitzman, David Semel (No Ordinary Family), Tripp Vinson, Rene Echevarria (Terra Nova)
DIRECTOR | David Semel (No Ordinary Family)
CAST | Josh Holloway (Lost), Marg Helgenberger (CSI), Meghan Ory (Once Upon a Time), Michael Rady (Emily Owens, M.D.), James Martinez (Breaking Bad), John Billingsley (True Blood)
Centered at US Cyber Command, and focuses on a unit that has been created around one agent with a very special gift, a microchip that has been implanted in his brain that allows him to access the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

Reckless (Drama)
EPs | Dana Stevens (City Of Angels), Ian Sander and Kim Moses (Ghost Whisperer)
DIRECTOR | Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight)
CAST | Cam Gigandet (The O.C.), Anna Wood (Deception), Michael Gladis (Mad Men), Shawn Hatosy (Southland), Georgina Haig (Fringe), Adam Rodriguez (CSI: Miami), Kim Wayans (In Living Color), Gregory Harrison (Ringer, One Tree Hill)
A sultry legal show set in Charleston, South Carolina, where a gorgeous Yankee litigator and a Southern City Attorney struggle to hide their intense attraction while clashing over a police sex scandal.

1. C says:

Yay for Crazy Ones. Buffy Summers (SMG) and Kimberly Andrews (Amanda Setton) sharing scenes? Oh my yes!

2. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

So happy to see Buffy and Mork — I mean, Sarah and Robin — working together on a comedy. But, I am a little bummed this means AS won’t go back to One Life to Live as Kimmie.

• C says:

Uh, we are brain twins. I would love to see Amanda Setton back on OLTL as Kim. With the way OLTL is filming now, maybe she’ll have time to pop in for a visit?

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I hope! Cutter needs his sister and I need to see her reaction when she finds out he’s been flirting with Natalie. I also need to see Kim run into her Cowboy. <3

3. Babygate says:

Sign me up for Hostages and Mom. I was so looking forward to seeing Josh Holloway on my screen again but I can’t stand Marg Helgenberger so I will have to pass on this. But congratulations to Josh. The Millers sounds like a male version of ‘How to Live with your Parents…”. Why do networks keep giving Will Arnett shows with one failure after another (Running Wilde anyone?).

4. Kat says:

Whoa…Meghan Ory? I guess Red’s going on a long vacation in OUAT.

• Mike says:

They’re both made by ABC, and both shot in Vancouver, so she’ll be able to be on both, but if the last few episodes are any indication Red will not be on ONCE very often.

• Marina says:

No. Once is made by ABC. Her new show is made by CBS. Please, read the title of this article. It says: “CBS Picks Up Six Series, Including Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Crazy Comedy, Josh Holloway’s Intelligence and Chuck Lorre’s Mom”

• JC says:

Intelligence is airing on CBS but it’s being made by ABC Studios. So Mike is correct.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Before you are rude to people you may want to learn a thing or two about network television. Some networks produce shows but they air on other networks. This is one of those shows just as House aired on FOX but was made by NBC Universal.

• No way! No way! I’m literally open mouthed! This cannot happen! Bring Red Back! I already want this show canceled!!!! Red’s my favorite!

5. JC says:

Wow, I thought the NCIS LA spinoff was a done deal. Not unhappy about it though – I thought the embedded pilot was pretty bad. I’m not sure how I feel about Intelligence being picked up. It looks interesting, but does that mean no more Ruby on OUaT? I’ve been missing her. :(

• Meg says:

When Meghan Ory originally signed onto the pilot I believe they said it would be in first position to OUAT, so if it got picked up she would be going to the pilot. No idea what that means for Ruby.

• drhenning says:

Glad CBS declined NCIS-RED… it was pretty bad and pointless…

Will miss neat shows like VEGAS but they keep chasing the younger audience that advertisers want… Some of these do look interesting…

6. Dani says:

is it just me or does Intelligence sound super similar to Chuck? smh. i’ll probably end up watching though

7. Dave Stone says:

How does the useless Will Arnett continue to get work? The Millers is one show i’ll not be watching

• Jss0058 says:

Useless?! Clearly you’ve never seen Arrested Development

• Mark says:

Oh, you mean the show that was on 10 years ago and resurrected for 10 minutes by Netflix? And, yes, Will Arnett is useless. Completely useless. He should have been put out to pasture with the Bluths.

8. Jss0058 says:

Wow I can’t believe I’m saying this but it looks like CBS has some of the best potential pilots (at least cast wise) given that I think I will at least be checking out all of these shows (we are men seems least interesting of the bunch)

9. Jared says:

Really surprised that CBS didn’t pickup Beverly Hills Cop. Seems like a perfect fit for the network.

10. Tom Charles says:

*Raises eyebrow* Billingsley was a main character on Enterprise yet you pick True Blood for him? What would you pick for Jolene Blalock, the one episode of House she was in?

11. bobbie says:

Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar? Be still my heart!

12. joao gordinho says:

Where the hell is Super Clyde!!!!!!!!

13. EJ says:

The pilot for The Millers was directed by TV legend James Burrows, though. And it co-stars the wonderful Margo Martindale. That can’t be underestimated.

14. IM SO HAPPPY!!!! Sarah Michelle Gellar is back!

15. Daniel says:

Missing out on NCIS: Red. I know the planted pilot was not received very well, but I was still looking forward to it. And it’s a good concept for sure, different than its mother shows.

16. Peter W says:

HELL YEAH BUFFYS BACK B…. nope dont swear but YAY so happy ;)

17. Estee Thomas says:

not shocked that the ncis: la spin off isn’t getting picked up i didn’t think it was that good & like joao gordinho said “where’s super clyde?” i love rupert grint & stephen fry!!!

18. ggny says:

Dam it no Super Clyde

19. Et al. says:

Hostages sounds… good. What the heck is it doing on CBS? When is the last time they even tried a serialized show? Jericho?

20. Nettie says:

Can Billy Brown not get killed off this show? He’s got potential to be great, but everything I’ve seen him on kills him off

21. Eric says:

Really glad to see that Crazy Ones and We Are Men were picked up, I’m very excited to see those two. I’m bummed about Super Clyde and Beverly Hills Cop though. I was really looking forward to those!

22. xandra says:

so Southland gets cancelled and neither of Ben McKenzie or Shawn Hatosy’s CBS pilots get picked up?

23. no super clyde ? that make me sad ):

24. Mike says:

Hopefully this one works out for James Wolk, his other shows did not do great.

25. bia says:

Congratulations Meghan Ory. You deserve that ” Intelligence” has been pick up by CBS. Once Upon a Time made ​​Meghan regular this season but never really took her as regular. A shame…

Cant wait to see this new series.

26. paul says:

So obviously CBS is setting up another night of Comedy 8-10. Plus with the addition of 2 new dramas I’d say it’s lights out for Vegas and CSI: NY. I’m pissed!

27. lyn says:

Yes to all except We Are Men. IMO Jerry O’ Connell can’t carry the lead in any project.

28. Anna says:

I’m going to miss Red/Ruby on OUaT, but I can’t blame Megan for wanting to work with Josh Holloway! That’s a lot pretty on one screen.

29. Jon says:

Will Arnett – great in small doses, but not to headline a show.

30. Bre says:

So happy Michael Rady will be back on my tv! Although it does sound a lot like Chuck…

31. amichelle says:

So this means bad teacher can go to HBO or showtime where it belongs

32. Jamie says:

I really hope The McCarthys gets picked up.

33. Really strong casts for some of these.

34. Zorkel567 says:

Still hoping there is some hope for NCIS: Red. Would be great to have a three hour NCIS night, and it could replace CSI: New York/Golden Boy.

35. Elle says:

I love Will Arnett, but dude cannot keep a show afloat. :-( Sad really, because he’s hilarious. Why aren’t people watching his shows?!

36. Coyote Southbridge says:

I’m waiting on more thorough description of Intelligence at the moment before I make a decision. The “agent with a microchip that has been implanted in his brain that allows him to access the entire electromagnetic spectrum” idea has been explored by the webcomic “A Girl and her Fed” since 2006. I realize that there are no new ideas and that multiple people can come to the same idea independently but I’d hate to support something that samples from existing intellectual property.

37. GK says:

Excited for Intelligence, Mom and Crazy Ones.

38. DavidSask says:

Add me to the list that cringes at Will Arnette, I am glad CBS nixed movie tv shows and more NCIS crap hopefully for good but doubtful!

39. Jim says:

We watch CSI: NY and Golden Boy and are disappointed they are being cancelled. Any show with Mork in it is rediculous. He is too spastic for me to watch.

40. Deb Ryan says:

Sorry CBS, the new shows sound awful. I really loved CSI: NY and Vegas and Southland was a close third. Michael Chiklis and Dennis Quaid were a dynamo casting job and the show actually had some substance. I’m really tired of reality shows and weird premises (intelligence). I liked getting a little science with my entertainment (CSI:NY). Quess I’ll be watching more PBS this year.

41. MaryR says:

The anticipation of “Vegas” on Friday nite was great, the cast is an excellent example of
    what makes fine entertainment, not a good decision folks.

42. Ari says:

Allison Janney and Robin Williams are all I need to hear to watch those two shows. I’m really curious about what will happen with Megan on OUAT

43. Melissa says:

Sounds like crap. Should have kept Golden Boy for a 26 episode season. The only show left on CBS I watch is Criminal Minds.

44. Tee says:

None of the storylines really interest me. They do have a few cast members that I’d love to see again though. Especially Allison Janney!

45. Dawn Bennett says:

Again CBS are a bunch of idiots!!! What is the matter with these people Golden Boy was EXCELLENT!!! Oh wait I see how they think! ” let’s try a show that has no audience and no one has ever heard of and lets get rid of anything our audience actually watches ” Well CBS you’re on the way out the only thing left is Criminal Minds once you get rid of that you will have nothing that we watch good luck you’re going to need it!

46. Ram510 says:

Is Jacked Up still in contention? I really would like Patrick Warburton back on TV ASAP

47. AnnClau says:

Crazy Ones looks good. Friends With Better Lives seems like they’re trying to remake Friends, but I might check it out because of JVDB. If scheduling works with other shows I have, I’ll give a try to Reckless and Intelligence.
    But what about The Surgeon General, Super Clyde and The Advocates? They have actors I like, so I would like to know if they’re picked up up or not.

48. Vegas and Goldenboy were great shows with good casts and well written stories. I also loved CSI New York. The ONLY new show I will try watching on CBS this year is Intelligence. You can keep the poorly written comedies and any thing else you may think is good, CBS. I will go to PBS when those shows are on. I know I am not in the age demographics that you want (don’t understand why) but I also know people at CBS wouldn’t know a good show if they tripped over it. Boo to CBS!

49. Kate says:

Vegas and CSI:NY were excellent shows. Josh Holloway can’t even put a sentence together. He won’t hold my interest, nor will comedies. CBS blew it big time and I hope they pay for their foolishness.