Girls' Allison Williams Calls Co-Star's Abrupt Exit 'Unfortunate,' Says It's Had 'Huge Effect' on Show

Get More: Controversy

Girls Season 3 Allison WilliamsChristopher Abbott‘s sudden departure from the cast of Girls last month has had “a huge effect on our show and [on the character of] Marnie specifically,” says his costar and frequent scene partner Allison Williams, who recently returned to work on Season 3 of the buzzy HBO comedy.

The actress adds that had Abbott continued in the role of Charlie, she suspects Marnie’s Season 3 arc would have spanned from the couple’s reunification — Season 2 ended with Marnie professing her desire to have Charlie’s “little brown babies” and to eventually watch him die — to the inevitable “dissolution of their relationship.” Now, though, “it’s almost as if we skipped her third season and have gone on to single Marnie,” Williams adds. The split “means that Marnie is now piecing herself back together.”

RELATED | The Rock to Topline HBO Dramedy Pilot

And while “it’s unfortunate that [Abbott] is no longer a part of the family,” Williams says she wishes him well. “The minute I heard the news, there wasn’t a single doubt in my mind that [the show's writing staff] would come up with great stuff for Marnie to be doing. And what we’ve done so far and what we’re continuing to do is so excellent.”

RELATED | Veep Renewed for a 10-Episode Season 3

For more spoilers on Girls‘ third season — including the return of [spoiler] — check out this week’s Ask Ausiello.

Comments (25)

• I thought this was about her leaving and I got really excited that she could move onto something better than this drivel. An actress too good for her show!

Comment by John – May 7, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually she’s a terrible actress and the show is great!

Comment by Anna – May 7, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually both her and the show are horrible.

Comment by Moriarty's pocket protector – May 7, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. She’s an awful actress. No question how she landed the job. Thanks, daddy.

Comment by Alex – May 7, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who is her father?

Comment by Summer – May 7, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Brian Williams

Comment by Faze Craze – May 7, 2013 11:58 PM PDT
      • This show is God awful garbage. It does do an excellent job of portraying just how young people think in this country though, and why we are completely screwed because of it.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – May 7, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show turned into a hot mess so quickly I could barely believe it.

Comment by a – May 7, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know how you feel. I’d say anything past episode 3 of this new season became a test endurance of just how uncomfortable a show could get-and not in a new, groundbreaking, great tv way.

Comment by Elly – May 7, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping they were gonna turn their “reunion” into Marnie’s fantasy, and that he never actually followed her out of the coffee shop. But single Marnie is just as good. She was my favourite character during season 1, and right up to the last couple of season 2 episodes too. Maybe bring back Andrew Rannells and have them palling around Manhattan?!

Comment by Dizzle – May 7, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I had no doubt the writers were going to come up with something great”

Translation; I hitched my wagon to team Lena before she wrote of the whole Charlie and Marnie situation all together.

Im confused, aren’t there usually contracts in place to prevent stars from dropping the day before shooting a new season starts? Even if Lena Dunham is an ego maniac, shouldn’t HBO or even Judd be stepping in to facilitate a little?

Comment by Elly – May 7, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Christopher Abbot wasn’t a series regular, he was a recurring guest star. Those contracts are normally signed on a year-to-year basis, rather than multi-year deals.

Comment by Dizzle – May 8, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While that is true, he walked off the set while they were beginning to shoot season 3 so he probably already signed his season 3 contract.

Comment by JP – May 8, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s gotta be a good actress to be so perky and optimistic in that interview without once letting it slip — even passive-aggressively — why that dude really left.

Comment by Jase – May 7, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s indicative of her acting ability but it does speak volumes about her professionalism.

Comment by Ivy – May 8, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her chemistry with Zosia Mamet. The show is complete uninteresting tripe but I always enjoy the scenes with her and Mamet, solely because of the energy between the two. The british girl got old fast and I just can’t stand Dunham.

Comment by Lauren – May 8, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is it that every article about Girls is filled with people who hate the show? If you think it’s so awful, ignore it.

I’m glad Charlie is gone actually. The Marnie/Charlie arc was getting truly pathetic. Marnie is supposed to be a trainwreck yes, but they were really pushing the limit when those two got back together. I would much rather see more Shoshanna and more Adam.

Comment by Molly – May 8, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He probably watched Season 2. Specifically, the finale. Bleck.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – May 8, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who on earth, in the 21st century, is named “Marnie”?

Comment by whosays – May 8, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol ^^^^^^ this XD

Comment by HighViolet – May 8, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would the handful of people who watch this show notice if they just recast him?? Seriously, I was sucked in to the GIRLS buzz and quickly found its navel-gazing protagonist pretentious and (at times) repulsive.

Comment by MTMSLG – May 8, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it funny how many people hate this show then continue to watch it. the ratings can’t tell if you’re watching it out of enjoyment, or out of hatred…just so you know.

on the subject of Charlie…I want to know which cast/crew member he hooked up with and it went terribly wrong already…because he was one of my favorite characters.

Comment by Rachael Simpson – May 8, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they just briefly mention that he got hit by a bus or fell out of a plane or something.

Comment by Faster – May 9, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best character is Adam…he is authentic and real, I know Adams and I love them! I LOVED season 1, I found it unique, and then… Lena won a bunch of awards, was tired of being the ‘ugly” poster girl, and actually said in an article, I want to be pretty, like Hollywood pretty, I just about BARFED. We have enough ‘pretty’ we need ugly, raw, and uncomfortable . It has become so bad I can barely watch it, with all her ticks and anxieties, sure have one episode about that but the whole season, BOOOOO bored, bye bye.

Comment by melanie – May 12, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Charlie and Marnie saga proves true for lots young adults trying to figure “it” out. Then realness of the un evenly matched twenty somethings trying to hold on to nothing was more than hilarious and at times painful to watch. Bring Charlie back! Finish their story.

Comment by Girls lover – August 4, 2013 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post