Once Upon a Time Recap: As Time Goes Bae

Get More: Recaps

Once Upon a Time Season 2 Neal ShotThe following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from this week’s Once Upon a Time.

This Sunday on Once Upon a Time, Emma and Neal dealt with some unfinished business during their hunt for a big bad, while in Victorian London, Baelfire dealt with a dark shadow.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Neal’s Peter Pan Connection, Tamara’s Boss and 7 More Burning Questions Answered

IN VICTORIAN LONDON…. | Upon being betrayed/released into the portal by his father in Fairytale Land, young Baelfire lands in 19th century England, where he makes the acquaintance of Wendy Darling. The lass regales her new friend with tales of The Shadow, a mysterious figure who lords over Neverland, an island devoid of grownups and rife with children, mermaids, faeries and the like. The catch, Wendy soon learns: At night, the parent-free kiddies cry, forbidden to leave the isle once they have set foot on its soil. Plus, The Shadow wants a boy, and thus is determined to take one of Wendy’s wee brothers.

Having already warned the Darling sibs that magic always comes with a price, Bae intervenes when The Shadow visits that night, and lets himself be spirited away instead. Then, midflight — after a whirlwind, Disney theme park-ready tour through London, including a spin past Big Ben set to 8:15 — Bae wrestles free from his abductor and falls into the sea below. Ultimately, Bae is found and pulled aboard the Jolly Roger. “The name’s Hook. Captain Hook,” says his familiar, guylinered rescuer.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series

IN STORYBROOKE…. | Regina is missing — and so are the three magic beans she pinched. Emma’s more convinced than ever that newcomer Tamara is behind it all, and goes to search her place again, questioning Neal why his fiancée is tracking in sand when she allegedly trains for her marathon in the woods. As Neal helps Emma comb the waterfront, they have a heart-to-heart about their years-ago split under extraordinary circumstances.

“What do you want me to say, Neal…?” Emma starts. “That it killed me that you never came looking for me after I went to prison? That it didn’t hurt that you ‘found Tallahassee’ with someone else?” Neal explains, “I wanted to go to jail for you…. It kills me that I let August talk me into letting you go. I wanted to look for you, but I was too afraid you’d never forgive me…. There hasn’t been a day gone by that I don’t regret having left you.”

As that apology sinks in, Emma gets a call from David and Mary Margaret (who thanks to a potion from Mr. Gold was able to “see” where Regina was being held). Their clues lead Emma and Neal to the cannery, where Greg (with little help from a somewhat repulsed Hook) is using electro-shock to force the Evil Queen to cough up his dad’s whereabouts. Just as Regina comes clean — she killed Kurt Flynn the instant his young son left, burying the body at their campsite — David comes in gun a-blazing, but Greg gets away. Elsewhere, Emma gets KO’d by Tamara, who then pulls a gun on her fiance. When Neal demands to know how long this charade has been going on, she says it started the day she spilled coffee on him in NYC: “I had an important job to do, one you could agree with” — to rid this world of “unholy” magic, as others like her and Greg have done before.

Neal won’t let Tamara carry on her crusade, but when he moves toward her, she puts a bullet in him. Before Tamara can go in for the kill, Emma gets the jump on her and an awesome melee ensues, ending with Emma flipping the bad girl onto the floor, hard. But just as Emma reclaims her gun, declaring Tamara’s treachery over, Tamara smashes down a magic bean, opening a portal in the middle of the floor. Emma tries to keep wounded Neal from getting sucked into the chasm, but he argues, “Henry can’t lose both of us, and grow up like we did.” To that, Emma counters, “I need you! I love you!” — but Neal’s fate is sealed. He echoes, “I love you, too…,” before succumbing to the supernatural swirl. An emotionally devastated Emma sobs, collapsing in a heap.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bosses Tease Season 2′s Final Episodes, Including One ‘Really Big’ Twist

Back at the Charmings’, just as the Blue Fairy gets Regina on the mend, a frazzled Emma shows up with the Neal news, and her dad comforts her. Regina then awakens, surprised to learn that Mary Margaret saved her life. Mary Margaret explains her reasons for turning the other cheek, but instantly regrets them when Regina reveals that she had created a “trigger” by which to destroy Storybrooke (and its residents) after she spirited her and Henry away to FTL.  But now Tamara and Greg have the diamond-esque device, and thanks to the mysterious “Home Office,” they know exactly what it’s capable of. “They want us to move to the next phase,” Tams reports to her cohort. “We have to blow Storybrooke off the map!”

Elsewhere: Lacey learned that Mr. Gold is capable of magic — and likes it! As for the prophecy about the person who is fated to be The Dark One’s undoing, the tart retorts, “Then get rid of them!”

What did you think of “Second Star to the Right” aka Part 1 of the Season 2 finale? Did Emma losing Neal just as they were rediscovering each other wreck you? What do you anticipate happening now that young Bae is in Hook’s company? And what are your other predictions for next week’s finale? P.S. My original, Pulitzer-worthy title for this recap was “The Lost Baes,” but I feared it’d be too spoilery.

Want scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (230)

• It was almost what everyone guessed. Bae is not dead they will probably lead a search for him next year in new world or neverland and no way regina dies next week

Comment by david – May 5, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • im going to be soo upset if neal dies

Comment by Kaitie – May 5, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he did die….all the portal jumping has made him crazy and he killed tons of people in True Blood land.

Comment by Trenton – May 5, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You rock!

Comment by Jennifer – May 5, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • +1 million points!

Comment by creativkook – May 6, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A++ 9/10 doctors agree you win the internet. The 10th doctor is an asshole.

Comment by Lizzie – May 6, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I heard David Tennant was a pretty nice guy…

Comment by Joe – May 6, 2013 10:20 PM PDT
          • I heard the same thing, though he could a bit of a snobby-know-it-all when he wanted to. But then he is the 900+ year old10th doctor, which probably makes him a little cranky at times

Comment by Tamim – May 6, 2013 11:11 PM PDT
        • Priceless!!!!! Loved it.

Comment by Spikenalabama – May 7, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emma’s assuming that he’s dead though, so when they all meet up again (which I hope doesn’t take too long in season 3) it’ll be a shock that he actually survived.

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure when he turns up, she’ll be in a relationship with someone new, or hook too to make it all the more awkward and suspenseful

Comment by Rachael – May 6, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She hasn’t been in a relationship with anyone except him that we’ve seen. Besides, he was shot in his right shoulder, there’s no reason to believe he’ll die.

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She was involved with Regina’s lover and Regina found out and killed him by smashing his heart in her hands……

Comment by Sally Bryant – May 6, 2013 09:03 PM PDT
          • If you are referencing Sheriff Graham he was Regina’s lover by force not choice. As Sheriff Graham let Snow go and tried to use a Dear’s heart as a replacement, but it didn’t fool Regina. So, Regina pulled his heart and her castle became his caged and she forced him to be her lover. When Graham kissed Regina the curse broke on him and he chose Emma over Regina because he had a choice again. Regina again not blaming herself, but Emma crushed Graham’s heart to ash like her mom did to Daniel’s heart.

Comment by Shannon – May 7, 2013 01:22 AM PDT
        • Because Emma’s been the type of character so far that just leaps into relationships?

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Borefire stays gone so they can focus on more interesting characters and give Emma her brain and integrity back. Emma should not have to be tied down and sacrificed. It was 10 years ago. Now please get rid of Greg and Tamara. And Regina should not been given her magic back.

Comment by chitta – May 5, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they can’t just ‘get rid’ of Greg and Tamara now, because they have the diamond-esque device that Regina created that can destroy Storybrook. These writers are crazy

Comment by Bonita Gee – May 5, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree he is not dead just like Phillip is not dead. He just went to another realm, land. I think Wendy and her descendants are the home base… It makes sense with all the knowledge home base seems to know especially about the failsafe Regina had.. Neal will probably show up next season in the same world/realm as Prince Phillip. I remember the creators stating we will see Aurora, Mulan and Phillip next season, so it might be a fun way to kind of keep things flowing and together etc..Rumple is taking the seer’s prophecy literally, but what if the prophecy is not intended to mean Henry. Remember the seer used the knowledge to manipulate Rumple into becoming the dark one etc.. What if the prophecy meant Greg/Owen because remember he lost his father as a young boy who knew of the town etc.. That could indicate Rumple’s undoing..Thoughts??

Comment by Supernatural fan – May 6, 2013 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The actor who plays Bae stated he was going to be in the rest of the episodes this season, so I am assuming he will be back in the season finale one way or another.

Comment by Supernatural fan – May 6, 2013 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love your theory. She did say “the boy will be your undoing. So that could mean Greg.

Comment by TVDIVA – May 6, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • UMM, she was referring to the boy who helped him find his son, which is Henry. Sorry but Henry is living on borrowed time right now.

Comment by Leonard – May 6, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, I think it’s quite clear who “the boy” is, especially since in discussing the propecy Eddy and Adam always speak in terms of Henry.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 6, 2013 07:52 AM PDT
        • I think the whole point of the prophecy is that Rumple’s decision is not supposed to be as easy as he thought when he said “well then I’ll just have to kill him”. He’s supposed to struggle with it. If the kid was Greg or anyone else, Rumple would kill them in a heartbeat and move on. But the boy is his grandson and thus the struggle between his good and evil sides are happening!

Comment by A – May 6, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna be honest I never really liked Neal that much so ehhh no big loss (imho)

Comment by Amy – May 5, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like him in the flashbacks, but the adult Neal just doesn’t do it for me. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Comment by Tessa Mae – May 6, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • horrible ep and the wtf dropping poor bae into another *land* same story too many times. really need to get rid of tamara and greg. are we suppose to believe greg father is dead and did they *kill* bae or will he be back next ep?

Comment by ollie – May 5, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, but I get why they did it. It’s going to force rumplestiltskin to face the same question “Do I find my son who just said ‘stay away’ or do I stay with a woman who finally loves me for me (even if its not really her)”

I am also betting “The Home” office was originally set-up by Wendy Darling 100+ years ago to find Bae or prevent that from happening again.

Side note, did love the “I love you exchange” for Neal and Emma.

Comment by Elly – May 5, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OH MY GOD that home office thing is genius!! God i hope you’re right!

Comment by N. – May 6, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • grumble… grumble… grumble… whyyyyyy BAAAAEEEE???? I was hoping that MRJ would become a regular on OUAT next season. Come on, every show I see him on, he dies, except Terriers that is that only had one season.

Comment by Debbie Bitz – May 5, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He may become a regular anyway if Storybrooke is destroyed and everyone has to move to another realm.

Comment by Lia – May 5, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey- he may have landed around Mulan and Aurora. Those gals are resourceful, they might patch him up.

Comment by lucy – May 5, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ya know, that is very possibly true. Neal had to go somewhere and what other reason does the series have to bring in Mulan and company than to have him go “home”? Neal falls in their lap and Mulan uses her extensive “I know stuff” stuff to help him heal. Meanwhile, some Storybrook people escape to FairyTale land, but the portal closes before Emma and company (who probably risked their lives to go save the Queen) can go through, so they have to take a ride on Hook’s ship, which goes to Neverland. I wouldn’t put it past Hook to have a bean or two stashed away for rainy days.

Comment by Tamim – May 5, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my guess is that Bae got sent to Neverland. i have to say, i’m increasingly annoyed with this “we must destroy magic” storyline. i also think it’s ridiculous that Tamara used a magic bean to escape when all she’s been talking about is “magic is evil”.

Comment by Kat – May 5, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That bothered me too, especially since she used magic to cure her cancer. :/

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She never had cancer. That was her cover story to get to The Red Dragon.

Comment by lyn – May 5, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I didn’t realize that, I’ve tried to forget that episode, it is my least favorite episode.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the cancer was a fake out to get the “cancer cure” to study it. at least that’s how i took it!:)

Comment by irishrose4583 – May 5, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her actions were definitely hypocritical but I can understand if I was in her place and was about to be killed or have my plans ruined I’d probably use any weapon I had to get rid of the two of them and escape.

Comment by A – May 5, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Standing ovation for Michael Raymond-James and Jennifer Morrison. Amazing performance and chemistry between the two. I am sure Neal is not dead but I hope they are not doing a cliche thing of letting them believe he is dead so Rumple can go completely bad watchout henry and to do Emma/Hook next season. I would hate that. Emma and Neal were too epic tonight to do that soap opera routine

Comment by Patti – May 5, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wondered why they wanted the SB people to assume he was dead rather than in a different realm, like Emma and Mary Margaret were this season. But that would make it real test for Rumple- does he just forget about Bae now that he’s gone and kill Henry? His decision was complicated by his desire not to jeopardize their new fragile relationship. Or, with Bae out of the way, will he STILL do the right thing? Makes sense now that they shot Neal AND tossed him through the portal. Poor man has no luck at all.

Anyone else wonder if he drew the shadow to the Darling house?

Comment by lucy – May 5, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Didn’t Wendy say that shadow showed up right around the time Bae did? I would assume, since “Magic always comes with a price” that it’s possible opening the portal and slipping through may have pulled through some ‘other’ magical being into the same realm.

With the Pan themed episode title in the finale, my assumption at the close of last night’s episode is that Neal ends up back in Neverland. OUAT plays a lot to the idea that the one dimensional good-vs-evil character development we see in fairy tales is not realistic. Every character has depth and layers – who can be good and not so good or evil and yet have a heart. I have a feeling Hook figures into the ‘good guys’ side of things next week and perhaps the son of his late-love-of-his life plays into that. As much as he hates Rumple and may relish his pain, I’d think Bae also holds that link to his mother too. kwim?

Comment by sd523 – May 6, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oops – not enough coffee before posting. :) By “He hates Rumple…” I mean Hook. Hook wasn’t comfortable with Tamara and Greg’s plan. Even though he went along, he’s expressed misgiving. He also, although it’s hard to tell with his backstabbing left and right, seemed to have a soft spot for Emma. I’m just thinking it’s possible Hook gets a little more Storybrooke helpful than not.

Comment by sd523 – May 6, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He expressed more indifference than misgiving, not to say he IS indifferent, its just that right now he doesn’t exert himself for anything other than his endgame. His extremely boring, Kill Rumplestiltskin, endgame. If it doesn’t concern killing/hurting Rumple, or possibly getting laid, he doesn’t make much effort. It would be nice to see him without such a singularly boring purpose. It’s dragged on too long.

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 07:53 AM PDT
        • We all knew Bae was Peter Pan & I thought the shadow was the same thing, Bae’s price for using magic for the portal. I like the idea of Hook with the good guys too :)

Comment by Rebecca Veight – May 6, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The producer’s have said that Bae is NOT Peter Pan. But there is a connection via Hook who may be Peter Pan.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 6, 2013 08:02 AM PDT
          • When have the producers ever said that Hook could be Peter Pan? They have said more than once that we will *meet* Pan next season. We have already met Hook.

Comment by K – May 6, 2013 08:18 AM PDT
          • Bae’s price was losing his father. I think “The Shadow”/Peter Pan was just another example of magic “getting through”… Who wants to bet the Darlings started this mysterious “home office”?

Comment by Jackie H. – May 6, 2013 03:26 PM PDT
          • The producers/creators have stated Bae is not Peter. It is also mentioned by the dragon that there are other FTL characters here that need his help because our doctors can’t help them. Meaning there are other ways to get through to our world.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 04:39 PM PDT
      • Here’s the thing. It’s not Henry that Rumple needs to kill. Once he was reunited with Neal, that could have happened already. Henry is what kept Neal in Storybrook but Henry never led Gold anywhere. Gold always knew where Neal was. It’s another boy. A boy who will lead Rumple to Neal, wherever he is. A boy that will be his undoing. Not sure if that’s Peter Pan or his shadow.
        Rumple told Belle that killing the boy was complicated. It’s complicated if he has to sacrifice his powers or he has to get to Neverland which means dealing with the shadow.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 6, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The shadow did look like young Bae in a way.., but I do not think he is peter because Hook had been to Neverland before Rumple became the Dark One and Bae was still around. They may make Peter Evil, Hook a former lost boy who escaped and grew up.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It looks like moving between portals moves through time as well. Otherwise, none of the timelines would make sense (Hook meeting Rumple pre-Dark One—approx. 300 years before the curse that carries them to 21st-century America—but then pulling Bae out of the water in Neverland in what would have been linear to 1900s London time. Also, Hook should have already run away with Milah. Unless Milah is with him on the Jolly Roger, too, in Neverland, but I doubt it. ) Also, small thing, but I do believe the Wendy scenes were supposed to be early 20th-century London, not the 19th century, since Peter Pan was written in 1904. I guess technically the events could have been in the late 1800s, but eh, it kinda bugged me no one else has pointed that out.

Comment by gdv – May 7, 2013 09:44 AM PDT
  • Poor Emma! She needs to catch a break!! Tha scene between her and Neal KILLED ME!! I hope they find him in the finale, and I hope Tamara and Gred drop death or just dissappear cause I really hate them right now! Also, I hope Regina doesn’t die while sacrificing for Storybrooke! She deserves another chance and her character pretty much rocks! #KneelBeforeTheQueen #EvilRegals

Comment by luli – May 5, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly hope it’s Peter Pan’s SHADOW who’s evil, not Peter Pan. I know this show likes to change things a lot, and normally I enjoy those changes, but Peter Pan is my favorite story! And just when I started to root for Neal/Emma, he goes and gets shot/possibly killed.

Comment by Cortney – May 5, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love the Peter Pan story, I seriously hope they DO make Peter evil. That would be a delicious twist to things, and actually then make Hook a pseudo-Hero / Anti-Hero.

Comment by James – May 6, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! Agreed. It would make it seem very fresh and interesting to see a psychotic little imp running Neverland. :) Also, I think it connects to how Hook was in the ep ‘Tallahassee”. He almost seemed sympathetic to the plight of the Lost Boys (the talk of orphans and knowing too little love), or at least didn’t seem to be a sneering villain against them. So maybe the Neverland dynamic isn’t what we think. Given, that was just a snippet of dialogue, but of all shows, this is the one where little breadcrumbs like that eventually make sense. I’m excited to see how it plays out!

Comment by Tessa Mae – May 6, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oddly, Peter’s shadow reminded me quite a bit of the Heartless from the Disney/Square Enix collaboration, Kingdom Hearts. And they weren’t the nicest of creatures. I wouldn’t put it past Disney to make some small reference to them.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emma telling Neal she loves him and needs him? Not buying it.

Comment by Marie – May 5, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It felt like it was just a result of the situation and that she loves him because he’s the father of her son and they share a complicated history.

Comment by A – May 5, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not buying it either. Seemed a bit sudden based on everything that she’s been saying for almost the entire season.

Comment by M – May 5, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree it was in the moment and mourning your first love. It gives the show now the freedom to move in the direction of Emma moving on with Hook, as he will have given up his revenge. If anyone thinks it’s weird remember “Veronica Mars” did almost the same thing when they wrote out her first love Duncan. They exchanged “I love yous” too, even though her main love interest was Logan and it still is with the movie being made to wrap up the show. Plus not to mention Duncan and Logan were best friends and Logan’s first love was murdered and Duncan’s sister, which seems to now be similiar to Bae and Hook’s past. I’m oddly wondering if Neal isn’t dead they might do what the “Veronica Mars” movie might do and bring him back to see that Emma completly moved on with Hook and Neal will notice that unlike what happened with Tamara, Emma and Hook really are in love with each other.

Comment by Amanda – May 6, 2013 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It felt EXTREMELY rushed. I mean, I totally understand that they have a connection, but they just seemed to jump straight from we haven’t’ seen each other in a decade to beginning to come to terms with the huuuuuuge secrets they were keeping from each other (Henry. Being from FTL.) and his leaving her (and not just leaving her, SENDING HER TO JAIL.) to I love you? I call shenanigans.

If they are going to put them together, fine. But this show knows how to pace a love story better than this. It seemed to be more of a plot device (something to urge Emma to action) than an actual organic evolution of their relationship. It cheapened the moment for me.

Comment by Tessa Mae – May 6, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree and I’m glad I’m not the only one. I love Bae but I’m just not feeling Neal or his interactions with Emma.

Comment by Al Saints – May 6, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Let me guess. You guys are all Hook/Emma shippers.

Comment by Pati D – May 6, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m not feeling the MJR/JMo chemistry. It was endearing as it needed to be but I don’t buy her chemistry with either Hook or Neal. *shrug*

Comment by Lizzie – May 6, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As predicted, Hook picked up young Bae before he landed in Neverland. And now that Neal is no longer around, it frees Gold to become as wicked as he pleases. Will Regina and the Charmings forge an alliance to defeat Greg and Tamara? Where did Neak go? And is the end of Storybrook going to come to pass?

I love those parting scenes with Emma and Neal.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 5, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal Cassidy and Emma Swan are my favorite couple after tonight’s episode they are past Snowing and Rumbelle. The show is really throwing obstacles at them and I guess that’s a good thing because they do that w Snowing and Rumbelle so I hope they are invested because I am hooked on Neal and Neal/Emma

Comment by kelly – May 5, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, the Peter Pan shadow was creepy.
    The Emma/Neal stuff seemed to come without enough actual buildup and interaction.

And I know she didn’t have much screen time, but I’ve decided I passionately loathe all incarnations of Belle/Lacey. Can’t there be a portal for her? Please?

She could take Tamara with her. That poor woman’s acting recently has been like Charisma Carpenter’s 4th season of Angel–at times flat, and at times OTT cartoony.

Comment by Mari – May 5, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah – im not a fan of the woman who plays Tamara…i find her very stiff

Comment by EL – May 5, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was much better in The Walking Dead, I find Greg equally bad.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe it’s because she only has 5-7 word sentences, spread far apart, on Walking Dead? LOL. I agree that both are pretty bad. I want to like the storyline, but they aren’t giving me much to work with!

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I so agree, Greg & Tamara really bad casting

Comment by Rebecca Veight – May 6, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, both are equally terrible. Albeit, their dialogue is incredibly corny, but their delivery and cartoonish villainy do NOT help the matters. If there really is a home office, and they have done this before, why are you acting so damn gleeful? And I loved Ethan Embry in the 90s, I thought he recent stint on Grey’s was good, but he’s terrible in this.

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve never seen her on the Walking Dead–I had to stop watching when I found myself thinking that the people were stupid enough they deserved to be eaten by zombies. What’s her character like? Was she a villain, strong, a victim? Maybe she just doesn’t have much range.

Comment by Mari – May 6, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She played Sasha on twd..I do not remember if hhe was a good or bad on the show

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 01:04 PM PDT
  • Home office = Viktor Frankenstein / Dr. Whale? He does have a way with electricity…

Comment by ShawnF – May 5, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Home office is most likely an ‘organization’ set up by the Darlings when Wendy grew into adulthood because Magic took Bae away from them – that way it all ties neatly up in a bow

Comment by John Magee – May 6, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just can’t be because in Peter Pan 2 which I saw on the Disney channel which Wendy’s daughter was not a believer went to Neverland and came back before her father came back from War. Which Wendy said she always believed in Neverland, PeterPan and TinklerBell. That’s all.

Comment by AnotherGuest – May 6, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really couldn’t bring myself to care about anything in this episode. Neal, Tamara and Greg are not engaging characters and I have no investment in them whatsoever. At this point, I’m only watching to see Colin O’Donoghue chew some scenery.

Comment by Khorrie – May 5, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal better have gone to Neverland because if he is dead too, seriously. Graham loved Emma, and Emma liked him too, Graham gets killed. Neal still loves Emma, Emma still loves Neal too, Neal gets shot and probably killed. It’s a little too much. She has lost so much in her life already. Soon she’s gonna be as broken as Regina but without all the evilness (don’t think I’m a Regina hater, she is my favorite character but I can recognize that she has done some pretty terrible stuff), and I think one completely broken character is enough. Henry can’t have both his moms so broken and his dad, with whom he was starting to have a relationship, now absent. Again.
    Someone really needs some happiness on this show or else it’s the viewers who are going to get depressed.

Comment by sofia – May 5, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think that Neal & Emma are a bit like Snow and Charming? They just haven’t gotten to the punchline “I will always find you.” But their relationship is going down that road.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 5, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t love or hate Neal or Emma, but if they say I will always find you, I will have to hate the couple. I cringe every time I hear that line, thankfully they don’t say it that much anymore.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, their relationships are pretty much paralleled, with some differences here and there, but yes, and I do hope they get together and have a happy ending, but without something like the “I will always find you” quote. Once here, once there, like it was on season one it’s okay, but in every single episode of the first half of this season, nope. That quote has been too overused. I hope they never get one for Neal and Emma, but if they do they better not repeat it to exhaustion.

Comment by sofia – May 5, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Pretty much every relationship on the show is paralleled. They only have two models. Dead lover driving their current psychosis or “I will always find you” blahcakes.

Comment by sara – May 6, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, they have passed through the “initial attraction” phase, survived “painfully separated, loved each other from afar for 11 years while telling self they weren’t in love” phase, and are now in the “acknowledge long-held feelings- instantly separated by magic” trials. But Neal and Emma are both so much more guarded than Charming and Snow, who are really dramatic and emotional, that I have high hopes that they don’t develop a catch phrase. I can see Emma rolling her eyes if Bae attempts it, and his sheepish smile acknowledging that, yeah that was a stupid idea.

Ugh, these two. They slay me. It’s gonna be a long game.

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to get crucified for this I’m sure, but here goes. Because sometimes the storyline is irritating, I get nitpicky.
    First up, in the Darling household there is no way bread would make it to the dining room unsliced. Let alone 3 loaves.
    Second, no way the Darlings would let a 14 year old street kid sleep in the same room with their daughter in Victorian England.
    Third, I was waiting for Count Rugen to shout “Not all the way to 10″ in the Pit of Despair when Greg amped up the machine.
    Fourth, when does Emma take on the role of Rapunzel? Did you see her hair?
    KMN

Comment by lyn – May 5, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Darlings are fairy tale characters. What’s so improbable about them taking in a street kid and putting him in a room with their other kids? Afterall, they did end up adopting a bunch of Lost Boys in the Peter Pan story. Besides, Bae slept in the same room with Wendy and the two younger brothers…nothing strange about that in a fairy tale story.

Comment by Ann – May 5, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. Wendy is on the brink of womanhood. No way they’d have her in the room with Bae.

Comment by lyn – May 5, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • By standards today, Wendy shouldn’t be in the room with her brothers either – so I agree with Ann, why does it matter? That’s really nitpicking a fairytale. They were holding true to the story, in which all the kids slept in the same room.

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s it why does it matter, it doesn’t.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 11:44 PM PDT
          • Go over to EW and read the recap. I posted my theory last night. Their recapper posted the same thing today.

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 07:32 AM PDT
        • In the movie, it was Wendy’s last night in the nursery with her brothers when she left for Neverland.

Comment by vck – May 6, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, her younger brothers are one thing. A 14 year old street kid is a whole different scenario.

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 09:13 AM PDT
    • So wait… we can go along for the ride with magic and other realms and such but when they put a group of kids all together in one room, suddenly NOW it’s not believable?

Comment by Stephanie – May 6, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If your 12 or 13 year old daughter introduced you to a homeless 14 year old boy, would you let him sleep in her room?

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, I also would never have a DOG as a nanny. These people already display questionable judgment when it comes to their children.

Comment by Erin – May 6, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s a TV show, it is the same as it was in the Disney animated movie Peter Pan..

Comment by SL – May 7, 2013 01:27 AM PDT
        • I don’t think that’s relavent to what I said. I would have a way bigger WTF moment if my 12 or 13 year old daughter used a magic bean to open a portal to another realm. I’m just saying with all this fantasy, can’t we also just suspend disbelief on the other aspects of the show that could otherwise be real to go along for the ride? In a show where a woman whispers into hearts and uses people as literal puppets, I think it’s ok to say the entire show isn’t real and just allow ourselves to enjoy the bigger picture without focusing on such a very small and completely irrelavent part of the story as a whole. That’s all I’m saying…

Comment by Stephanie – May 7, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I also don’t think it’s that much of a stretch. First, during the Victorian era you have a lot of changing ideas about children – who counts as a child and what children naturally do. Within the upper class and also within more Progressive movements, people were starting to believe that children needed to play, not work, for a very long time and that children were not born with an evil that needed to be purged before adulthood, but were naturally good until taught to be evil. The Darlings strike me as this kind of upper-class, progressive people who may have seen taking in Bae and considering him a child as, not only their duty, but as a way to prove their values. Second, in our society today you have people who selflessly take into their homes children from the Foster Care system — sometimes children considered the worst of the worst — and raise them right next to their biological children, often right in the same room. Not all of these families are wealthy, so there are cases where the rough, new boy sleeps in a shared room with both the son and the daughter. Usually this has to do with whether the family considers the new person a child they are helping, or a new member of the family. And, from a mental health point of view, the sooner the person in need is considered a part of the family and treated just like everyone else, the closer that person is to recovering from the scars of their earlier life and moving on. I think the Darlings are just a fairy-tale version of these kinds of people.

Also, it’s only an hour show. While it would have been logical to use valuable air time to show the gradual development of a relationship between the Darlings and Bae, the show doesn’t have time to show everything. For we viewers, what took 30 seconds – tops – probably took weeks. Bae was in the closet for two or three weeks and we have no idea how long he spent in the nursery.

Comment by Tamim – May 7, 2013 08:55 AM PDT
  • That was the best episode in a very long time, it was not without its problems, but it was much better than the last 3 episodes, loved the flashback, and I thought that was the perfect thing to do with Neal, he doesn’t have to become a regular but the potential for him to return is still there. I think Kurt is really dead, so hope Greg is done next week. This episode must be very polarizing for Neal and Hook shipper, Neal shippers will be happy and sad because Emma professes her love, but he fell through the portal, and Hook shippers will be happy an sad because Neal is out of the picture(for now) and sad because Emma professed her love. Funny really.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After tonights episode I think Wendy might be or has been involved with the “Home Office” and their crusade to destroy magic.

Comment by Talia – May 5, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s an interesting idea and would make much sense.

Comment by Mari – May 5, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would have to be Wendy’s descendants since she was around over 100 years ago.

Comment by Meg – May 5, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking Tamara was Wendy’s descendant

Comment by Bob – May 5, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Wendy lived in the 19th century, she’d be dead by now, since Storybrook plot is in present times…

Comment by Maiara – May 5, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Home Office figured out what that diamond was pretty quickly. I think Home Office Is some magical person or creature that doesn’t want any magical competition.

Comment by taran63 – May 5, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hope they follow up on how the home office knew about the diamond. It sounds like Regina was the one who created the ‘fail safe’ and didn’t share it with anyone other than maybe Maleficent (or maybe she was the one who created it, but it is still a little unclear what is/was going on with her). I’d be really disappointed if this falls into one of the many unexplained aspects of the show.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We know the home base is not malificent because she is in the basement and Emma defeated her in her dragon form.. yes curious question how did they know about the fail safe?

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought about that too! Maybe Wendy started the whole “magic is evil” thing in Victorian England. And somehow the “Home Office” can be traced back to her. I still wonder who “The Dragon” was, and how and where and he came from.

Comment by BaeD – May 5, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it any wonder why some of the best episodes of the season have Neal front and center?

Comment by Joey – May 5, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach! And it helps that Henry wasn’t in it.

Comment by Spencer – May 5, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know!! It’s an interesting fact.

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hasn’t he only been front and center in, like, two? And one of them was bad?

Comment by sara – May 6, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was pretty much a main in Tallahassee, Manhattan, and this one, I’d say, and all of them were pretty good, except for the giant CGI in Tallahassee. :P

Comment by Joey – May 6, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely feel like Neal is still alive. Maybe in the finale there may be a bean that will take all of them (even Greg and Tamara. How ironic would that be even though I hope it doesn’t happen) to a different world. Possibly Neverland. However, Neal’s portal may have landed him in the Enchanted Forest where he will encounter Mulan, Aurora, and Phillip (since we know that they will resurface in the finale). And next season may be navigating through the new land and maybe the new season 3 character will be the big bad of the season (possibly the evil peter pan or his shadow) and they have to try to get out of there. I don’t know, this is all random ideas I have and I could be wrong, but anyways, definitely pumped for the finale!!

Comment by A – May 5, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everytime I see aurora I think get that girl some pants! Snow always had a duster thing that made it look like she had on a dress but you could see the more practical and realistic pants she was wearing. I know aurora isn’t as savy as snow, but even Mulan should have suggested it given how she dresses. I know, totally minor but it bugs me.

Comment by Robin – May 5, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Wendy is part of the Home Office… Well, she and her brothers would be well over 100… So…

BAWLED when Neal fell through – didn’t realize I liked him so much and so much for Emma until then.

This episode was amazing. Some of you guys need to stop being so picky and just enjoy this treasure of a show. :-)

Comment by Sarah – May 5, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really dont think Wendy can have anything to do with the “home office” because if this takes place in like 19th century London, one shes in london and two if she never went to neverland that means shes either really, really old or possibly dead.

Comment by Mary Kate – May 5, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the Sheriff died, August got turned to wood, Neal has been shot and sucked into another land. Something tells me it’s not a good thing to be a guy and involved with Emma in some way.

Comment by Alichat – May 5, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her luck with guys is now as bad as Ruby’s!

Comment by K – May 6, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hook’s the only one left now and it’s going to move in that direciton. I used to think Jefferson but Sebastian can’t film much anymore.

Comment by Amanda – May 6, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emma is the Sam Winchester of Once Upon A Time.

Comment by Lizzie – May 6, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Nana, i starting to getting annoyed with Lacey/Belle accent, and the shadow and Bae flying i thought they are gonna crash with Mary Poppins ans start singing Chim Chimenea

Comment by Lorena – May 5, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about the Lacey/Belle accent? Emily is Australian and from what I recall of interviews with her, she sounds pretty much the same both on and off screen. Robert is the only one whose accent really changes and then he’s toning it down.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad episode.

Comment by Helen – May 5, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this was a bad episode you must of hated the majority of the second half of season 2, this was best episode in a long long time, but each to his own.

Comment by Mike – May 5, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lots of people have hated the majority of episodes this season. Hence why it’s dropped so many demo points.

Comment by sara – May 6, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the darlings are behind the company

Comment by kelly – May 5, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooooh, nice theory!

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The Darling family was wealthy. Bae warned Wendy about the dangers of magic. Wendy had a chance to see “evil” for herself. And she lost someone she cared about to dangerous magic. Instead of creating a home for lost boys like in the original story, Wendy may have set up an organization to prevent the theft of lost boys by magical creatures. That started the hunt for anything magical. Usually when people label an entire thing or person “evil” at one point that someone encountered something so horrible that believing that any part of that thing could be good is unimaginable. Since Wendy never saw anything magical that she considered good, and also being influenced by Victorian ideals, I could easily see her starting a company to seek and destroy magic. Maybe slightly Doctor Whovian/Torchwood-ish, but that organization was also started in the Victorian period (by Queen Victoria herself)

Comment by Tamim – May 5, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I war thinking the exact same thing regarding doctor who/torchwood!

Comment by carly – May 6, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed half the show due to my cable freezing up, but I wanted to read the recap. It was as I expected. Different question: there are 2 kings stuck in Storybrooke, and both remember they were kings (David’s “father” and cinderella’s prince’s father) – I’m surprised that the producers haven’t touched on them trying to bring down Regina and gain power in the town. I guess it’s too many stories, but it would be cool to see more storylines with more of the Fairytale/Storybrooke characters. That was the hook for me watching this show. Maybe next season.

Comment by Mary – May 5, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t Kathryn/Abigail’s father King Midas there too?

Comment by lyn – May 5, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are LOTS of kings. We were shown many kingdoms: Aurora’s, Phillip’s, Snow’s, George’s, Thomas’ father’s, Midas’, Xavier’s, etc.

Comment by sara – May 6, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is it that Hook picked up Neal on his ship, how is Hook in this world in the 19th century?! Can somebody please explain this to me

Comment by Rob – May 5, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That scene didn’t take place in 19th century London. That was Neverland.

Comment by bigby_wolf – May 5, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think in the same ep that rump killed mia is when hook went to neverland but didnt show him arrive there.

Comment by ollie – May 5, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He took the Jolly Roger through a portal, I think at the end of the episode “The Crocodile” .
      I didn’t think the Peter Pan shadow dropped Bae outside London, I thought they were just outside of Neverland when Hook rescued him.

Comment by Kathy Anne – May 5, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe that Hook fished out young Neal in the 19th century, too. Neal was struggling to be dropped before reaching Neverland. Since Neal ends up in present time and aged, as compared to Hook, I can only assume that he travels with Hook for a period of time before getting dropped off somewhere where he ages in real time.

Comment by AngieD – May 5, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bae/Neal was dropped off outside Neverland, not London. When they’re on the ship you can see an island with palm trees in the background. Also, they made a point of showing the Shadow drag Bae through that hole in the clouds and the twinkling light in the sky which is supposed to show them entering a new land.

Comment by Spencer – May 5, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. He referenced that he saw the island of Neverland and lit the match to be dropped before he could set foot on the soil, as to not be trapped there forever.

Comment by vck – May 6, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So will we find out in the season finale how he goes back to our world, or is this just a MAJOR plot hole?

Comment by Rob – May 6, 2013 10:39 AM PDT
  • This episode fell flat for me. The declaration of love between Emma and Neal came out of nowhere, or so it seemed to me. I don’t get them as a couple at all.

Comment by S – May 5, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure how it was out of nowhere. It was there the whole time, just waiting for the right catalyst to set it off.

Comment by Joey – May 5, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. Considering the amount of baggage they carry as a couple, I found it inauthentic that they just jumped into “I love yous”. And especially Emma saying “I need you!” as well. Seemed totally out of character.

Comment by Tessa Mae – May 6, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Truths come out on the brink of death that don’t when you’re just having coffee or a walk on the beach.

Comment by K – May 6, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ITA Given both of their histories, abandonment is a huge issue. And since neither has had much of a support group through most of their lives, losing someone they’ve been close to is a big deal.

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 08:34 AM PDT
      • I agree. I wasn’t surprised – indeed given how much Emma was determined NOT to interfere with his engagement, and how determined Bae was NOT to bring up the past and hurt her more, him dangling on the edge of death was probably the ONLY thing that would have gotten those two to ‘fess up. But Jennifer and MRJ have been playing that subtext beautifully all season, particularly MRJ, Neal’s been holding back form saying everything ever since they met again and he’s played that struggle really well.

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it looks like we’re heading back to the fairytale realms next season. I can’t say I hate that idea.

Comment by bigby_wolf – May 5, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Bring on Neverland because Storybrooke has been a bit of a bore. I’m excited for them to explore a new realm with new fairytale characters. I know the cast is big already but there are so many fairytale characters that I love that they have yet to explore or haven’t explored enough. Peter Pan being one they are starting with now.
      I also remember hearing at the end of season 1 that they would introduce Ariel in season 2 but given Wendy’s mention of mermaids and if they end up in Neverland, I feel like one of the mermaids might be Ariel should we encounter any of them.

Comment by A – May 5, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic episode. Best episode of the season.

Comment by Leondre – May 5, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no I’m so sad Neal is gone, how can they do this to Neal and Emma

Comment by Me – May 5, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else feel the whole “magic doesn’t belong in this world” storyline is just off? Or is it just the actors playing Greg & Tamara make it seem silly due to their bad acting?

Comment by Deena – May 5, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was by far my favorite episode of the season. I cannot wait to see what happens in the finale!

Comment by Spencer – May 5, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal is one of my favorites. Tonight was one of my favorites.Neal and Emma are my favorites together. It was heartbreaking. I loved Emma saying I love you first and Neal’s I love you too echoed Tallahassee and how the portal scene with them echoed young bae’s with rumple but emma was always fighting for him. I hope Neal is back asap.

Comment by Patti – May 5, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What?!?!?! Bae/Neal sucked into a portal again! Just when Emma and Neal just had a heart to heart. I also hope he is with Mulan and Aurora. By the way, when you get sucked into a portal, do you get to choose what other worlds you go to or are you just SOL? I also don’t like Tamera, but I feel bad for Greg. Is that really his father’s bone or is he still somewhere in Storybrooke? How come Greg didn’t do any DNA testing on the bones to see if Regina was lying? I don’t know what’s up with Tamera, but Greg has a reason to hate magic. It took his father away. He was scarred for life. I really hope Peterpan is not a bad guy in this show, but it looks like he is. But what would that make Tinkerbell! Lacey/Belle is starting to get annoying.

Comment by aquariussun0206 – May 5, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Essentially it is Peter’s shadow not really Peter who is evil. Once His shadow is sewn back to him it should be fine etc..I wish Graham was back. I really liked him and his character the Huntsman.

Comment by Shannon – May 7, 2013 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extended preview of finally is up at abc.com . Only 2 minutes.

Comment by Bob – May 5, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking about the Seer and her prediction that “the boy will be [Rumple's] undoinng”. We have the following candidates for the boy:
    Henry – unlikely
    Neal
    Owen
    Peter Pan
    Hook, if he’s the adult version of Peter Pan.
    Peter Pan’s shadow.

And I think it is going to take the magical powers of Rumple, Regina, The Blue Fairy ad Emma to save our friends in Storybrook, ME

Comment by Name That Tune – May 5, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The boy is Henry because the seer said the boy that “will LEAD you [Rumple] to him” will be your undoing. Plus, Rumple knows that the kid is Henry which is why he’s struggling with it. A few episodes ago, he had a dream about Henry’s birthday and getting rid of him and in this episode he told Lacey that getting rid of the boy was complicated.There is no other “boy” with a significant connection to Rumple on the show other than Henry.

Comment by A – May 5, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well that’s the misleading part. Henry never led Rumple anywhere. He was necessary to keep Neal in Storybrooke. But now Neal is gone. So another boy will lead him to Neal. Or this time Henry will lead him. But the seer’s prophecy has not been fulfilled snd it will involve Rumple’s undoing. That’s the game-changer.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 6, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I still think the “boy” is Pinocchio. August is a boy again.

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But the whole point of the prophecy is that the “boy” will end up causing Rumple to struggle with his decision to prevent his undoing. The boy has to have some sort of significance to Rumplestiltskin himself. If the boy is someone else, it is just pointless. Rumple would just kill them in a heartbeat to get to Bae and the storyline would be over. The boy has to be Henry because if it wasn’t then there would be no real personal struggle for Rumple. The kid is his grandson! And by “leading” him to Bae. Henry was with Rumple when they found Neal and the fact that Henry is Emma’s son and Emma lead Rumple to Neal and the connection between the family was revealed helps clear up the fact that the boy is indeed Henry. And yes we don’t know yet “how” the boy will be his undoing so the prophecy hasn’t been “completely” fulfilled.

Comment by A – May 6, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It depends on how truly evil he is. If his undoing means he stops being The Dark One, he gives up eternal life and all the power. Bae is all but lost to him, but he can have more children with Belle. Is he evil enough to stick with the power option?

Comment by lyn – May 6, 2013 03:43 PM PDT
          • The boy does not necessarily mean Henry, but the fact that Rumple thinks it is Henry. Remember the seer also stated there are things that will be/are and cannot be changed and things that could be. Do you know how much Rumple had to mes with to get to where he is? Seeing the future is tricky and is like doing a puzzle. The Seer manipulated Rumple to become the Dark One, so he would end her pain etc.. His undoing never was revealed to be bad as his undoing could be a good thing meaning he reverts back to his old self and still retains his magic, or something else. His “undoing” can have many different meanings etc..

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 04:32 PM PDT
    • I agree with A that it has to be Henry. But I think the twist will be that his “undoing” is a good thing. It’ll be him not being the dark one anymore. While Rump would say that’s bad because he would lose his magic, it’ll actually be good because he can be good and get his son back (since Bae hates magic).

Comment by Guest – May 5, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be a much duller show if he wasn’t dark and leaving Regina out in the mix and getting new villains every season.

Comment by Aimee – May 5, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually think it would be great if they found an interesting way to bring in a new villain each season (much better villains that greg and tamara) while keeping the “main cast” (i.e. emma, snow, regina, and rumple) as focus in some way. It’d be a nice way for them to explore different fairy tales

Comment by A – May 6, 2013 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well that’s the idea I’m getting at. The diamond was activated. It has the potential to destroy everyone including Rumple. If he gives up his dark power, or it’s stolen by Peter’s shadow, he’s undone. Not dead but undone. And Henry had nothing to do with it.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 6, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I have noticed is that none of the previews shown so far have Rumple in them. His reaction when he finds out what happened to Bae has to be epic. I think Lacey won’t care about what happened to Bae and that will make Rumple go back to restoring Belle. His reaction be why everyone ends up in Neverland or Neverland adjacent.

Comment by Bob – May 5, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think The Shadow is not evil as Bae thinks. The Shadow has been looking for someone to fight the evil Captain Hook who has been causing havoc in Neverland since he arrived. When Bae finds out what an evil man hook is, he will allow the Shadow to attach himself to him, turning him into Peter Pan.

Comment by Michael Grooms – May 5, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Borefire stays gone for good. Emma deserves better. I did not buy declarations of love. Its been over 10 years.

Comment by chitta – May 5, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 10 years is nothing when true love is on the line – especially in fairy tales, which is what this series is, one big gigantic fairy tale.

Comment by Bailey – May 5, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Death(portals) cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it awhile.

Comment by lucy – May 6, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha, that’s great- thank you! I can’t lie and say Princess Bride didn’t cross my mind when writing my response.

Comment by Bailey – May 6, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Wendy/The Darlings are behind home company. In my opinion, they made a point of Gold mentioning immortality when he was speaking with Belle/Lacey.

Being that Home Office seems to be in the know all of magic, it’s not hard to imagine Wendy or someone came along immortality at some point. Though it might seem hypocritical, Wendy would easily be able to justify it by saying she wasn’t going to die until magic was gone from the world.

Comment by Mannie – May 5, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank you OUAT for ruining Peter Pan and my childhood in the course of ten minutes… JK i actually liked the twist they did their. as for the episode it was all pretty predictable, I doubt MRJ is gone for good he’ll be back in season 3, i love him as an actor the character I liked but didn’t really care about him falling into the portal. I really like that their is a orginization out thier fighting magic and its not just Greg and Tamara that should be cool to see develope. Snow is starting to bore me, other than that good ep looking forward to the finale.

Comment by James – May 5, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this episode. Past few ones have been eh for me. First off, in the original story Peter Pan is not good. I believe he used to take children and kill them. Also this whole “emma and neals I love yous came out of second field.” Not true bc of tallahasee and whats been going on since neal came back into her life. I do want tamara and greg to die. They are just blah characters. No substance even for bad guys.

Comment by A. – May 5, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not sure which version you’re reading but the original play and by extension novel by JM Berrie Peter Pan never killed or harmed any children, he tried to trick Wendy into staying with him when she wanted to go home but eventually let her go promising to return to her every year. other then that i agree with you on everything :)

Comment by James – May 6, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That moment when Bae was hanging on I was yelling at the tv “Don’t let go”, then the declaration of love was too much for me, and the letting go. Oh my God too much for me to handle in one moment. The Tamara and Greg story line is a stretch and I am done with it but I like that it will unite Regina with the Charmings. We shall see there are always left turns at the last minute.

Comment by Aimee – May 5, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn. It had it’s strong moments, but also some very week moments. I haven’t made up my mind yet how I feel about the dark Neverland/Peter Pan approach, but it looks interesting and the young actress who played Wendy was good, so I’m on board with finding out more about this story and the creepy shadow.
    I know many can’t relate, but I miss Henry this season. He has one or two scenes every other episode and then disappears again as if no follow-up is needed. I think they could have done so much more with him in the last couple of episodes.
    The Snow and Regina stuff was great as always. Ginnifer Goodwin and Lana Parrilla are fabulous together and the complicated relationship between their characters deserves more attention. I also liked Charming comforting Emma.
    The reveal what happened to Owen’s father was totally anticlimatic though and all this talk about magic being unholy has weird religious connotations. I’m tired of this entire plot and kinda hope it doesn’t drag on much longer.
    The stuff with adult Neal in Storybrooke was pretty silly. People falling through portals into another realm is gettin a bit repetitive and I honestly have no idea why anyone would think he’s dead and why we should buy that Emma thinks he’s dead. If this was meant to be the emotional highpoint of the episode it was totally lost on me. The ILYs felt like way too much too soon as well and I almost snorted at that. The acting saved it at least a little.

Comment by Louise – May 6, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get ready for the almighty wrath of the Dark One. We know what Rumple did when a guy barely scratched his son. What will he do when he finds out Tamara shot him and possibly killed him. The home family set up is formed by the Darling Family remember Wendy stated she was allowed to return because they wanted a boy not her. Meaning Peter’s shadow could have taken over and is evil in Neverland. The shadow did not let the boys leave once there. How did Neal get back to our world and why? We all know time works differently in different worlds. Days in neverland was only hours in ours. Who knows how much Neal/Bae told the Darlings. Neal is not dead, but probably ended up in the same realm that the Wraith took Phillip. That would be how things can tie into next season. I enjoyed the episode.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this has been asked and answered already, forgive me for asking about it again but I’ve skipped over reading the previous comments because there are too many.

So, I’m confused… When Neal lets go of Emma’s hand and goes through the portal, is landing in the water as a child and then being rescued by Hook where the portal took him?

Is it like what happened with August???

Comment by vdofan – May 6, 2013 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Hook thing was a flashback leading us into the season finale, next season. however, it could be something to think about and you never know..

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. Bae lands in the water after getting free from The Shadow.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 6, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t point out the exact reason, but this show just lacks focus to me, it’s spinning out of control. I also agree that Tamara and Greg are not compelling in the least. I wanted Emma to kill Tamara so bad, to get us past her and moving on. Emma needs a little “something more”, too. She kind of blends in with the background after a while. It seems like once Emma learned what Storybrooke was, and how it related to her was revealed, her purpose just kind of drifted off. I hope Season 3 will see a more cohesive tightening of the plotline, with less introductions to new characters- seems like they overdo that just for “ooh look, shiny new thing” value, when they would be better off focusing on the core characters. I was glad they gave us more about what happened to Bae, but somehow the second half of Season 2 still just isn’t doing it for me. It doesn’t have a “must see” feel any more. The Lacey subplot is annoying as hell, I could have done without that. It just seems “watered down” lately. I want to still like it.

Comment by Drizz – May 6, 2013 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for putting into words what I’ve been feeling. I want to still like the show but it’s becoming harder for me. I hope Season 3 can turn things around.

Comment by Fran – May 6, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You said it. I really hope they buckle down and focus on a handful of things rather than a bucket full.

Comment by Shannon – May 6, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA. It’s like Emma was a pebble dropped into the water and now the widening circles just go on forever.

Comment by lyn – May 8, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are the URLs of these recaps always so spoilery? It can’t be that hard to name it “Second Star” or something like that, can it?

Neal’s apology was a long time coming, and worth waiting for, though I do think most of it was still framed in terms of his feelings rather than what it did to her–but he might still not know the extent of what it did to her. The portal scene was well acted but it gave me such Lost/Suliet-related PTSD that I can’t actually judge it.

And though I acknowledge that MRJ is a good actor, I still feel a complete disconnect between him and the young Bae–it was so glaring in this ep when we saw them essentially side by side.

Comment by K – May 6, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post