Grey's Anatomy Recap: Defending Your Life

Grey's anatomy season 9 recapThis Thursday on Grey’s Anatomy, Bailey is horrified to learn that two of her patients are dead – well, three by the closing credits – because she unwittingly had a staph infection when she treated them. But that isn’t the biggest shock that she gets.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including ArrowThe Vampire DiariesThe Good Wife, Glee and More!

GLOVE, ACTUALLY | When the CDC concludes its investigation, its finding is that defective surgical gloves, not Bailey, are actually to blame for the transmission of her infection to her patients. On the one hand, she is, of course, relieved. On the other, she is, of course, still crushed. Not only did she lose two – er, three – patients, but she overhears Richard throwing her under the bus. (Though he doesn’t mean it, she doesn’t know that.)

OPEN HEART PERJURY | Upon learning that Jo has decided to move in with Chest (who keeps trying to get people to use his real name), Alex lies and lies some more that they’re just friends and even attempts to make nice with his rival. Unfortunately, he goes a step too far by revealing to Chest just how awful Jo’s past was. When she finds out, she’s livid. And, naturally, it’s then and only then that Alex admits to himself as well as Cristina that – duh – he loves her.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Penultimate Episode First Look: The Calm Before the Storm

THE BEGINNING OF THE END? | Off Alex’s confession, Cristina reveals that she thinks she’s – not now but eventually – going to lose Owen. Given the way he beams when Ethan recites medicalese and refuses to leave the boy’s side after his mom suddenly dies, one can kinda see where she might get that idea

TAKE TWO | Still smarting from her break-up with Matthew, April blames Jackson for deflowering her. He’s sorry she’s hurting, he tells her, but he’ll never be sorry they got it on. (Not his exact words, but you get the idea.) None of it much matters in the end, anyway, because Matthew forgives April and they get back together.

S*** HAPPENS | Determined to endure natural childbirth, Meredith tries to enlist Cristina to keep Derek from doping her up in the delivery room. “People poop on the table” after having a baby, Cristina replies. No way does she want to see her friend go No. 2. (By which, the big softy ultimately means yes, if Mer wants, she will be there, and she’ll probably even take pictures.)

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you surprised by how viciously Bailey went at Richard? Were you glad that Matthew forgave April? Do you think Alex still has a chance with Jo? And how awesome was All My Children’s Marian Colby as Ethan’s grandma? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. slizabeth says:

That was some goooood TV!

2. Keri says:

I just really want April and Jackson to get back together lone them

• I want that too. It was a more interesting dynamic and I can’t stand Stephanie.

• so do I they make a great couple, and are soul mates.

• Alichat says:

Before they do that though, they’ve got to get rid of whiny April. I can’t take that mess anymore. I actually wanted Jackson to be angrier with her tonight.

• I agree, and he should have had that conversation with her a long time ago.
        Plus, I think that Jackson is the guy she wants to be with but the paramedic (Michael? I don’t really know his name) is the person she thinks she should be with, and it shows.

• Alichat says:

Exactly! She wants to be with Jackson (paramedic dude is Matthew btw.) She has this idealized idea in her mind of who her perfect man is, and how this should all play out. She can’t seem to face that the Hallmark movie in her head isn’t going to come to fruition.

• Catherine says:

THIS. I am so so SO sick of Matthew. And prediction: Own will adopt a kid, or maybe even specifically medical kid who is about to be orphaned.

3. Mike says:

I think it is time to end ChristinaxOwen, its time they disagree on a fundamental part of marriage and a relationship, just end it already. Either way Shonda will end up isolating a fan base, either the people who think Christina should change her mind and vice versa, Owen deserves to have kids, just end it.

• jess k says:

This. They have fantastic chemistry, but it will never end well for them.

• Maris says:

Yes! I don’t understand people who say one of them should change their mind just to make the relationship work

• Alichat says:

I think it would be a cheat for them to just say “well, it’s done” right now. Do we as the audience know they have this impasse? Sure. We know it’s coming. But we have to see them come to that realization naturally. They’ve still been living in denial. They’ve both tucked that issue into the back of their mind. I like how they are bringing the issue forward though. And looking at the promo for next week, it looks like Owen and Cristina start bringing it to the forefront.

• Ninna says:

The best thing it could happen to Cris is loosing Owen. And the same goes for him. But there are people who don’t want to hear it just to have the opportunity to see great sex on-call rooms and make out sessions everywhere. What else can we say.
      I personally don’t think it would be a cheat for them to just say “well, it’s done” right now. They should have done it long time ago. If they decide part ways, this must been a massive waste of time for both of them.And just to in the end fall back in the popular wisdom that two fundamentally different people don’t work.

4. liz says:

Booooring.

5. liz says:

Booooring. Had to fight to stay awake…

6. tonywife says:

Kid’s mom died that makes me love the Owen-kid-Crisina story even more , I’m curious to see how this story develops

7. N says:

Can’t stand Jo!

• CJS says:

And I thought I was the only one. Thank you for saying this & I fully agree with you.
      If the Super Storm washes Jo away from GA forever, then I will be very happy.

• Maris says:

Though I would like to see that happen, that would suck for Alex ~once again the woman he loves leaves~ etc, but I really don’t want them to be in a relationship and I’m quite frankly, annoyed by her, more so than I am with April and I don’t care about April at all

• tiffany says:

Totally agree about Jo (The Fake-End Lexie). Jo can’t shine Lexie’s shoes!

• twighlight123 says:

I always think of Jo as a Fake Izzie, both really beautiful, a tad naive, from working class backgrounds, both loved by Alex. But I agree that she has to go! I’m so over her!

• Raver says:

haha even though i agree with what you said.. but people face it, anyone who will come for Alex will be compared with Izzie – they had such a strong backstory.. After MerDer and before Calzona, they were one of the staple couples (even with Denny, George (Eww storyline IMO) and Ava in between) – so yeah be it Lucy, Lexie or Jo – the comparison with Izzie will always stand. I feel that when izzie was around everyone found her annoying too, but took her as she was one of the orignal MAGIC.. Give Jo a chance .. she is Alex’s only hope for a better storyline! Unless ofcourse Heigl makes an entry in season finale during superstorm – then all aboard Jo’s funeral after dying in storm :P

• cas says:

I like Jo, she is most definitely the only intern I can stand. Then again, Izzie was my favorite so I am sure everyone is going to say I have bad taste in characters now. I loved how Alex was with Izzie and the way he is with Jo sort of reminds me of that. I still like Izzie better but I feel the writers tried to ruin her and I know she didn’t want to be on the show anymore but I think it all could have been handled better.

• She’s the only intern I like now. In fact, it was because of her story with Alex I started watching Grey’s again on episode 9 after the whole Lexie/Mark fiasco.

• revengewatcher says:

YES, YES!! So glad someone thinks like me, I cannot stand Jo either! I wish they would find someone else to put him with, long term, Jo gets on my nerves, she is too young also.

• Rod says:

Me neither!

8. Babygate says:

The second half of.this season so far has been pretty phenomenal. Bailey made me so sad. The entire episode I had an uncontainable nervous energy waiting for the reason of the infection to be revealed. Very happy with more Callie. The journalist girl was funny. Glad that Matthew came around. He’s so cute. Cristina being at the delivery room is perfect. Shane was not on and that made me happy. Lastly, like Obama on Gitmo and Rand Paul on drones, my view on Jolex has evolved. So want it to happen! Shonda did this right. She didn’t rush it and so we’ve had the chance to see how their feelings have grown. When he confessed to Cristina I straight up wished I could give him a hug. Loved this episode. Oh, but next week’s promo has created a frenzy on the Calzona fandom. Funny as all heck…

• CJS says:

I will agree with you that the 2nd half of the season has been fantastic to watch & I agree with most of your points about tonight. But I really don’t want “Jolex” to happen.
      Don’t get me wrong; I want Alex to be happy & if this means “Jolex”, so be it. However, I’d rather him be in a relationship with anyone else who isn’t the botched result of a failed biology experiment that’s intent was to combine Izzie and Lexie into a single body.

• Babygate says:

I don’t blame you. I detested the idea of Jolex. I complained about it ad nauseum. The moment I changed my mind was when that Jason guy started talking smack about Jo, like she’s some cheap piece of a** he was going to have at the bathroom at Joe’s. That turned my stomach and I started rooting for Alex to beat the ever loving crap out of him for being such a pig. That’s what it took for me…

9. Linderella says:

I thought this season was going to be awesome because of Christina’s sojourn and epiphany while at Mayo. I was wrong. I now just read these recaps so as to not completely lose track of the story. It has just been too painful to watch. Maybe I’ll try again next season.

• Babygate says:

If you stopped watching before the second half started you have missed the best. And these recaps are ridiculous. They do not reflect the tone, the essence or the direction of the show. You cannot rely on them to decide whether or not to watch, imo.

• Ninna says:

Believe me, you have lost nothing. This was the worst season of the all GA history. It was promised growth and romance and in the end it was a massive disappointment. Couples were left soaking to drag out time screen without any real resolution of their problems, medical stories were not compelling. The only one remarkable was Kawasaki syndrome.
      In a nutshell, filler after filler, boring after boring episode.
      In the second half count with one or two reasonable episodes, not more.

• Rivera says:

Somebody woke up at the wrong side of the bed?
        Cuz the season 9 has been amazing! Way better than Season 6 or 7… Plane Crash and Mark Lexie death was addressed properly.. the storylines had deeper meanings and sentiments.. i felt only two episodes out of 21 yet to be filler ones.

• Rod says:

Seriously? I woke up at the wrong side of the bed too. What a dull season

• Ninna says:

Lexie death was addressed properly??? Not in my screen. Mark’s death was addressed properly with an episode of farewell. Lexie deserved one: ‘Lexie’s dead’ from her sister and a nut joke from Alex!
          Besides the lawsuit SL dragging out indefinitely for over a half season, we had legless people, sexless people, oversexed people and baby longing people. The same themes over and over.
          Couples almost stagnant during the all season to save for the last two episodes the final bang which is what this show lives from.

• Rivera says:

Ok i kinda agree about the Lexie death thing too.. but I kinda felt the “chapter closed” when they renamed SGMW to Grey Sloan Memorial… that’s the most! they never even mention Izzie – like she is a plague!
            I found the legless story for Arizona a new turn for her.. Callzona dram was always about either having baby or not, bringing Mark as a third wheel or not… they needed something else in that relationship! Grey’s isn’t about shiny happy people – it is a dark and twisted drama about Dark and twisted people..

• tiffany says:

I agree I hate 9 season too. Probably going to hate 10th too especially with Jo as a regular. But I will keep watching have to stay loyal to Dr. Bailey. Love you Chandra Wilson.

10. Kate says:

I know I’m going to be alone here and it’s never going to happen, but I’ve really enjoyed Cristina and Alex this season and a bit last season. I hate when shows have everyone playing musical beds with everyone else, but I think this is becoming my own little fantasy ship. Since they’ve ruined the Owen character for me, I’ve been thinking about what kind of guy COULD make Cristina happy as the woman she is and I think Alex could.

But I totally get that it’s not something the show is going to explore or something anyone else would want to see. I love their friendship as it is, but it almost feels like one of those “perfect in retrospect” things like when Monica and Chandler’s one night stand lark became a love story when fans and critics responded with an “of course they did!”

• Angel says:

I agree with you, I see a connection between those two, but I don’t see it going to that level. I don’t see a lot of physical chemistry, I see good wholehearted friendship. If you think about it, Christina, Mer, and Alex are the last of the original interns who started at the hospital in season 1, so I understand the connection between the 3 of them. I am not saying that I wouldn’t be curious if the show would explore that connection, but I honestly don’t think they should, I don’t think it would come off right. I think there is something to say about leaving them as they are, friends, and having that resonate with the fans who have watched all three them go thru all the changes at the hospital, and standing by each other.

• Mandy says:

I totally understand the temptation, because she are two of my fav people since the beginning. But I don’t think it would be true to their characters, as they have always butted heads. I think it is awesome they are even living together.
      Plus, of all the originals, Alex, Christina and Meredith have never slept together and I like that.

• Rivera says:

yeah if they did go there, it would be untrue to their characters … kinda like George and Izzie 2.0! Ewwwww

• Ryden says:

All I want to say is that if you realy look at Christina, Meredith, and Alex are like brother and sisters. Which I think is totally awesome.

11. Mandy says:

I love that this show can still surprise me. By taking the Bailey storyline and making it about her and Webber, they are exploring something new. That is one relationship that has always solidly existed but never really been explored. And with Bailey bringing up the past an Adele and his drinking, it really made you think all that they had been through over the years. Theirs is the most stable relationship on the show! So digging into that is amazing work.

12. Performance of the Week: Chandra Wilson

• Angel says:

Just give her an Emmy already! She is was powerhouse tonight, I have always loved her and her character.

• sladewilson says:

I agreed with this until Guillermo Diaz’s performance in Scandal. Chandra would get honorable mention from me but GD owned it last night… Any other night, that last scene alone would nail it for Chandra. She OWNED that scene….

• Rivera says:

I saw both episodes.. Huck’s story was too touching in Scandal but Chandra Wilson’s acting skills just killed the scene with Webber at the end.

I love Scandal but this momma prefers her Grey baby over Scandal baby! :P

• tiffany says:

Emmy worthy. Chandra better win an emmy for this. She is my favorite.

13. Liz says:

Well, I must say that what struck me the most in this episode is learning women pooped when giving birth… Now I’m not sure I would want my husband in the room when I have a baby…

• GS says:

This recap sucks and is not even a good recap. It would be nice if TV Line actually did real recaps instead of hitting a few points and trying to be cute while writing it. This was a really great episode. We weren’t tortured with the horrible interns and it was more the core cast. I’m so OVER Christina and Owen. Neither is going to give (nor should they) so just END IT NOW! Loved Alex and Christina at the end. Hoping the Originals gets picked up so Peckwell will have no reason to be on Grey’s next season.

14. Jenny says:

Chandra WIlson was incredible. I felt so torn when she was talking to Webber at the end. The Alex/Cristina moment was great, as was the scene that they had with Meredith.

I’m still laughing at how hard the ABC promo department trolled the Calzona fandom.

I do think that people shouldn’t be tweeting offensive messages to the actors about the show though. It’s really inappropriate and frankly, really despicable.

15. Magically Suspicious says:

The previews for next week make it look like Owen wanting a child is some great surprise and revelation for Christina. Talk about the worst kept secret ever….

16. Azerty says:

That was definitly good old fashion Grey’s Anatomy. The songs, the 3 patients crashing at the same time, funny scene with the core 3, Alex/Cristina “pillow talk” if we can say that (remember Georges/Mer/Izzie laying in bed talking about their miserable intern’s life?^^). However Alex, Meredith and Cristina really evolved as doctor and humans since the beginning of the show: Mer having Bailey’s back, Cristina talking to the scared patient, Alex trying to do the right thing with whatisname (a few years ago I am sure I would have punch him^^).Really good evolution. But I am so bored with whining April, it seems she complained all season, I am glad we didn’t see her that much. And of course Shandra Wilson should be the best performer of the week. That last scene with Webber was amazing (the actor playing him, can’t remember his name, also nailed it).

17. aline says:

alex and jo? ahahahahahahahahahaha #wiping tears# that’s a gud one… wait! is that the actual story line???

18. Judy says:

Mileage varies, I guess. I was bored silly and thought it was one of the weakest eps of the season. I’d have expected more from a blessedly intern-light ep. I really hate what they’ve done to Bailey. Loved her in the early seasons of the show; now I barely recognize her. Chandra Wilson is a fine actress, but even she can’t salvage the mess the writers have made of her character. I loathe April – can’t believe it’s been a year and we’re still hearing about her losing her virginity! – and I think Alex deserves much better than Jo. He needs a decent story line and a mate who’s his equal.

• MLO says:

What’s wrong with Jo? Girl bought the dude a couch!!! Her backstory is sympathetic and she’s done nothing to garner all the hate you guys are dishing out. So she’s not Izzy. So what? Izzy wasn’t all that great. I think there’s some revisionist history going on here.

• Jenny says:

It’s not about Jo not being izzy. Alex can do much much better than Jo. Especially after the heartbreak he went through with Izzy… Jo is his happily ever after?! She’s the girl that wins his heart just cause they get each other and have similar backgrounds? Not enough. Absolutely no chemistry there.

• cookie says:

Judy I so agree with u. I want shrodra to return Bailey to the sharp,tough,manager she was. She had such fire and determination. I’m glad they soften her some but bring back the old “Ironside” Bailey. Maybe after this experience she’ll come back guns blazing!!

• Ryden says:

I like Jo, she is my favorite new intern and I think that she is perfect for Alex!!!!

19. cookie says:

Kudos,to Shrodra for this episode! I loved Bailey/Richard scene. I worked for a boss/mentor who betrayed me and.how I was left devastated by her. Mcder was really the only one to tried to help Bailey with info on her patients. My heart just broke for her. I agree that her relationship with Richard is the most stable or was. She deserves an Emmy. I so felt her pain. Its interesting when the doctors break protocol when it suits them and their patients but totally froze Bailey out. The episode should have been” Odd man out”

20. Louise says:

I’m not a fan of Alex & Jo! They have no chemistry. Just because they’ve a similar background, that doesn’t mean they should be together. I think it’s very forced.

• Jenny says:

Agreed. There is nothing natural about this pairing. You’re right seems their backgrounds is enough to just put em together. Do the writers not wanna invest time in Alex or what?!

21. Shelby says:

I want Jo and Alex to get together

22. Eva says:

I HATE Jo!!!! I think she was a dreadful miscast! No chemistry with Alex at all! Just because she has a similar back story, doesn’t make her his perfect woman you lazy writers! Alex used to be my fav, now I’m going to have to not watch season 10, when they’re a couple!!!!!!

23. Amber says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that can’t stand Jo! I think it’s her voice, she sounds fake and superficial. I also hate the route they’ve taken with this relationship. How many seasons was alex in love with Izzie from afar? before she realised she felt the same? Now it’s happening again with that shallow brat! Give the guy a break, cast a girl who can act for him, hook them up in s credible way, give him some decent story lines and move on! Oh and let Jo get struck by lightening in the super storm too!!

24. Jenny says:

Owen and Christina are going back to that point where they realize they want different things. They made it through the first time to be together but as much as they try to avoid it they’ll always come back to it. Owen wants kids. Christina doesn’t.

I wish Jo was portrayed with more wit, more smarts (other than doctor smarts). For a girl that’s made it through a tough life, she’s comes off quite dumb. I just can’t believe after wondering if he’ll love again after he went through ultimate heartbreak with Izzie, this girl is the one who wins his heart? He could do better.

Meredith and poop story was lame I have to say. Must have been a slow day for her surgery wise.

Chandra Wilson was amazing in this episode.

25. Kim S. says:

Once again, Chandra Wilson knocks it out of the park. She doesn’t get as many opportunities to shine like she used to in the earlier seasons.