Grey's Anatomy First Look: In the Calm Before the Storm, Who Will Get the Shock of Her Life?

It’s all quiet on the Seattle front in this first batch of photos from Grey’s Anatomy‘s penultimate Season 9 episode — this despite the fact that the Grey+Sloan Memorial staff is about to get wind of a nasty superstorm heading their way.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

In “Readiness Is All,” airing May 9, ABC’s official synopsis reads, “The doctors prepare for a super storm heading towards Seattle; Owen’s desire to be a parent gets stronger as he becomes closer to Ethan; and one wrong move puts the lives of Meredith and her baby in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Jo looks to Alex for help in a moment of crisis, and one doctor gets the shock of her life.” (Regarding the Owen/Ethan storyline, you’ll spy All My Children alumna Jennifer Bassey here guesting as the nearly orphaned lad’s obviously distraught grandmother.)

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop — Scary Twist Ahead for Meredith’s Childbirth?

As for what the season finale, “Perfect Storm,” holds, “The hospital enters crisis mode as the storm rages, resources become scarce and patients flood in by the busload. Meanwhile, one of the doctors fights for their life.”

Peruse the pics now (Mer looks poised to pop!), then hit comments with your predictions for A) the doctor due for a shock and B) the one who’ll be fighting for his/her life as Season 9 comes to a close.

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jamie says:

I love Owen’s Ethan storyline. Also, it would be interesting to see a single man adopt a child.

2. Lauren says:

Ugh, I don’t know I can handle any doom and gloom for Meredith and her baby right now. I’m 23 weeks pregnant and it’s too stressful! I thinking I’m going to let my friends spoil the last two episodes for me and then decide if I want to watch it. On a related note, if Shonda takes this baby away from Meredith and Derek, I may not be able to watch this show ever again.

3. nina says:

As if shonda would harm her precious favourite couple.she will rather kick Crowens ass.like she always does.since two seasons this baby issue is on my last nerve honestly. mer will deliver the cliffhanger.but she will be just fine.so no worries. Plus bailey is obviously on shondas list too now. I love miranda.feel sorry for her

4. Mary says:

If something happens to one of the docs, it has to be an intern. Bailey isn’t going anywhere, regardless of the current plot.

5. Mike says:

There is ZERO chance of the McBaby, Meredith & Derek not surviving. The only people who are expendable are the interns, Owen, and we have any luck, April. McKidd is the only actor with an expiring contract. I believe we’ll see the death of whoever is birthing Meredith’s child- just as person dies & Meredith finally comes to terms with losing Lexi. I am extremely excited for a Meredith-centric episode, they are usually the strongest.

• Shelby says:

I really hope nothing happens to MerDer or their family. I can’t handle another tragedy with them, and they deserve to be happy. Not looking forward to the cliffhanger though, hate waiting to see what happens.

6. Tia says:

Bring on all the Mer/Der! They and the baby will be fine for sure, but looking forward for all the drama before.

7. Eliza says:

I love how in the last picture intern Stephanie is standing exactly like Christina. Stephanie so idolizes her. Great little student/mentor moment. I just thought is was a lovely detail and sample of great physical acting.

8. Smiley says:

Is it possible that question A and question B are related? Meredith, Derek, and McBaby will definitely survive. It’s probably one if the interns.

9. Sarah says:

“and one wrong move puts the lives of Meredith and her baby in jeopardy”… this just adds fuel to my thought that Meredith is going to be trapped in an elevator and go into labour, leaving someone else to deliver her baby.

• Amy says:

ME TOO! ahhh elevator birth! my guess is that it’s Ross who delivers the baby, based on Ellen’s tweet today!

10. Lisa says:

Can Shonda let Crowen be happy! Every other couple solves everything in one or two episodes! Owen is her person!! Let them be!!

11. Ashley says:

Mer & Der will be fine and their baby. Calzona is boring! Shonda forgets about Alex, Can Cristina give Owen a baby! And please send those interns away.
    PS can April just love Jackson without freaking out.

12. tiffany says:

Shonda had made me hate this season of Grey’s. Killing Lexie was too for me. That was my girl. Now she messing with my Bailey the heart of the show. The reason I been watching from the beginning. And LOVED from day 1. The show has become so predictable. I predicted Meredith would get pregnant, they were going to skip over Lexie’s memory. Act she didn’t exist. Try and shove a Fake-End Lexie (Jo) down our throat. Can’t stand Jo so much that I wish Katherine Heigl would come back and I never wanted to see KH again on the show even after her Diva addituted behind the scene of the show. BUT I’II TAKE HER BACK ANY DAY OVER JO!!! I REALLY WANT LEXIE AND MARK BACK!!!!. LOVE YOU CHYLER AND ERIC SO MUCH! !!! Finally I predicted this superstrom and Meredith baby would be born during it. I predict all of these things on Thursday, May 17, 2012 @ 8:20pm central time right after Lexie said “Meant To Be” and died while I was crying like a baby. I should be batting a 1000 at the end of the season. As for Shonda you ruined one of my favorite show of all time for me. And I can’t stand the way you treated the fans after you KILLED LEXIE, just so you could take the show back from the fans. She knows the Fans didn’t have the show if we did Lexie and Mark wouldn’t be dead and Bailey wouldn’t be in trouble now or called BCB. Interns would fear Bailey and she would still be the “HEART OF THE SHOW”. Bailey still is the HEART OF THE SHOW” too the FANS but not too you Shonda. I still LOVE the actresses and actors on the show. That’s why I stayed out of loyalty to them. But Shonda Rimmes you have lost a Fan and I use too think you were Brilliant and amazing. But I’m sure you want be hurt by this like we were when you killed Lexie and Mark. You have million of fans I guess I want matter.

Sorry my fellow commentors I know this belongs on Shonda Twitter but she would read it because everybody knows how she hate negative comments even though she gives her negative comments to Fans. It’s a one way street with Shonda.

Love to my Grey’s commentors

• SDS says:

LOL at your spelling and grammar.

• Sara says:

Wait. You predicted on in May of 2012 that Shonda Rimes would decide to end the next season (airing in May of 2013) with Meredith giving birth during a super storm? I mean, Shonda herself probably didn’t even come up with the super storm idea until after the fall of 2012 with the crazy storms on the east coast.

I mean, this is actually really impressive on your part. With your powers, how many lottos have you won? Better yet, can you tell me who will win the next Superbowl?

• tiffany says:

I only use my powers good not will money. I have all I need

• Jessica says:

Ha! To be fair, I think a lot of people predicted that Meredith would have a “surprise” pregnancy, I had assumed that it would be during the last season for EP and PD so that Mere and Derek would ride off into the sunset with the baby and Zola. So Shonda did surprise me there!

13. Amanda says:

Meredith and her baby will be fine in the end so I don’t know why they even bother with the “Meredith in jeopardy” as they’ve done it like 20 times before. I think the doctor with the shock will be either April (maybe she is pregnant) or Bailey (Ben leaves her). Doc fighting for their life will be an intern since its likely the show will ditch at least one by the end of the year.

14. skiki says:

I’m willing to suspend disbelief for a lot, but a “superstorm” in Seattle??? I think the worst weather system to hit Washington State resulted in six deaths statewide. If they want to do a legitimate disaster, they should have Mt. St. Helens erupt again, something that would actually happen.

15. Kyle says:

Anyone who thinks Bailey is any serious trouble is plain stupid. Bailey is clearly there for the long haul, as long as Chandra Wilson wants to be on the show.

16. GS says:

I wonder if some of the people posting actually pay attention to the show. Mer and McBaby will not die. They may go through a scare but after all the miscarriages, she’ll deliver that baby. Bailey isn’t going anywhere but at least she has something to do now. She’s been seriously underused (thanks to all the useless interns we were introduced to this year). As for Christina and Owen, let it freaking go about her having a kid! She DOES NOT want a baby ever. She should not give in to Owen on that ever b/c it goes against everything she is. The two of them shouldn’t even be together b/c of it. Neither is willing to bend. It would not hurt my feelings at all if Owen bit it in the finale. No offense to McKidd but he just doesn’t add anything to the show. I want Jo and Alex together NOW. It’s been too long since Alex had a good love story. I’ve learned to suspend belief watching tv (I do watch The Following after all) so I’ll refrain from worrying about the superstorm. It’s about what happens during the storm not the storm itself.

17. Kristine says:

Shock of her life….superstorm…..lightning strike?

18. Whit says:

I will reach full-term in my own pregnancy with my baby boy the same day the Greys finale ends. If something happens to Mer and/or her s

19. Razorback Gurl says:

People please! the baby will be fine :-) I think Owen is gonna take the kid but then something happens to him. This kids had way to much exposure not to be an important part of the finale. I say he bites the dust and it would have been obvious of his internal problems had they ran him through the almighty miracle xray machine. No charge for my input, thank you’s are fine. ;-)

20. Razorback Gurl says: