The Voice Recap: Play It the Way You Feel It, But Listen Carefully to the Sound [Updated]

The-Voice-Jessica-Childress-Season-4Bruno Mars’ “Marry You” has probably been used in countless marriage proposals and wedding processions, but its lyrics have never felt more apt to me than during tonight’s final installment of The Voice‘s Season 4 Blind Auditions.

With three of the show’s four judges having filled their 12-member teams to capacity, the intensity level was already tickling the rafters as perky/adorable former public-relations exec Jessica Childress took the stage in AN attempt to launch a new career and a new life. And holy crow, could the woman ever sing!

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

“Don’t say no, no, no, no, no,” she pleaded (musically) to Usher, whose hand hovered over the top of his buzzer. “Just say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.” I’m not ashamed to admit that as she did so, I leapt to my feet, somehow feeling like I could physically sway the outcome of a reality TV moment that was taped months ago.

Finally, Usher did it: He rose to his feet, slapped that red button, and turned his chair for Jessica, making her the 48th person to advance to the Season 4 Battle Rounds. And thus, the Blind Auditions ended just as they started — with an aura of raucous celebration.

RELATED | Details on So You Think You Can Dance Season 10 Premiere

Anyhow, since a nice shot of NyQuil is poised to take me to the land of the Lunesta butterfly, let me get hoppin’ with a rundown of the four singers who advanced to the Battle Rounds on Episode 6 of Season 4. I’ve ranked these cats in order from least- to most-promising, as is my custom:

4) Luke Edgemon, Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me” (Team Shakira) | Dude clearly has a gorgeous voice, but he added so many embellishments to Raitt’s gorgeous melody that it was kind of like dumping a tub of melted Velveeta over a perfect filet mignon. Illegal!

3) Jacqui Sandell, Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” (Team Blake) | Former ballerina put some nice grit and growl on certain notes, while mostly keeping it simple. As Blake noted, she’s got a “sneaky” voice and knows how to use it.

2) Amber Carrington, Carrie Underwood’s “Good Girl” (Team Adam) | Her white blazer and turquoise pants made her look more like a hip PTA mom than the 19-year-old she is, but on the plus side, she had enough vocal horsepower to handle a big Carrie Underwood ditty while managing to play with the melody just enough to keep it from being karaoke.

1) Jessica Childress, Bruno Mars’ “Marry You” (Team Usher) | There’s something optimistic and sunny about Jessica’s voice — perhaps it’s a little Shirelles-esque? — and she didn’t miss a single note of “Marry You,” either. Her response to making a team — “I am fully nuclear right now” — was the most adorable quote of the season (non-Shakira category).

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the final Blind Auditions of The Voice Season 4? Who was your favorite? Who got a spot on a coach’s team that left you scratching your head? Who got unfairly snubbed? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments! And for all my reality TV recaps, interviews, news and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (48)

• I thought Luke was hands down the star of tonight. Can’t wait to see him progress and grow!

Comment by Candice – April 9, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amy Whitcomb on the Voice? AWESOME! They didn’t show her audition, but she’s a star-in-waiting.

Comment by Tarc – April 10, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Interesting. I agree with Michael more often than not, but I’d almost rank them in reverse order from his.

Comment by syb – April 10, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hmm I thought Shakira actually made a mistake by stealing him from Usher only for Usher to then end up getting Jessica (and it looked like she was acting like she felt the same way too, actually)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 10, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Corrs reference, you’re getting cooler in my book, Slezak!
    Btw, Luke was on Idol too, right?

Comment by analythinker – April 9, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Corrs? More like Fleetwood Mac

Comment by ABC – April 9, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t see why you ranked Luke 4th, he was by far my favourite.

Comment by Andrew Rogers – April 9, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm…. evidently Slezak has different tastes from you. And so does the rest of the country, going by the poll results (Jessica beats Luke by a 3:1 margin).

Comment by Ed – April 10, 2013 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe so, but last? He was definitely not the worst of the night. The polls have him ranked 2nd.

Comment by Andrew Rogers – April 10, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the guy who sang Buble, wish someone would’ve picked him up!

Comment by Michael – April 9, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I thought he was much better than the first girl who sang.

Comment by paula – April 9, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He can definitely sing, but Adam’s criticism was spot-on when he said that the song didn’t swing. Buble has a swagger that he puts into everything, and the song needed to have that movement to it. I think its something that can definitely be leared though.

Comment by mia – April 9, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree; the song was WAY too “vanilla”. BTW, I can’t stand Buble, yuk.

Comment by Ed – April 10, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the battles next week, so excited!!

Comment by B. – April 9, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The warped tour vet of the season has finally appeared. I knew they couldn’t go one season without having one, but I’m glad.

Comment by Snow – April 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Dustin not get picked? I thought he was pretty amazing. Much better than half the people the judges have picked. :s

Comment by JAS – April 9, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dug Amber’s performance, that’s a hard song, and gutsy to pick a Carrie Underwood song, but she made it her own and hit the notes she needed. good for her!

Comment by Maggie – April 9, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luke #4 ummm NO WAY!! Totally a star! His voice is breathtaking. Bump him up a couple notches!

Comment by Julie – April 9, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They did Dustin to come back. We may see him next season.

Comment by Davey – April 9, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luke was definitely the best of the night for me followed Jessica. Definitely disagree with the ranking.
    I would’ve ordered it: 1) Luke, 2) Jessica, 3) Amber, 4) Jacqui

Comment by A – April 10, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really thought Jacqui was awful. Even when the chairs turned around, it sounded like she was missing notes left and right.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 10, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica was the best!!

Comment by monica – April 10, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved, loved, loved her! You really need a personality AND talent to win these shows [it seems]. And she’s got both. Yay.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 10, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Jessica! Her voice is phenomenal, but her happy, bubbly personality just pulls you in. You can’t help but like her.

Comment by Lea H. – April 10, 2013 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA and it’s making me crazy because she reminds me of someone and I can’t put my finger on who it is. She’s so pretty and has so much charisma, I think she’ll be a star even if she doesn’t win The Voice.

Comment by lyn – April 10, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She reminded me of Kimberly Locke from one of the early AI seasons. Loved Jessica…what a breath of fresh air!

Comment by Buffy0531 – April 10, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She reminds me of Amber Riley (Mercedes from Glee)

Comment by Mafs95 – April 11, 2013 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From Monday’s episdoe: I knew that Sasha Allen’s name sounded familiar, and now I’ve read that she is a Broadway actress (she was in the “Hair” revival a few years ago). She and Jessica from tonight’s episode are my favorites. I also thought the guy who was in the band that Carson saw as a teenager was decent and I was surprised nobody turned for him. I wasn’t as impressed with Amber because I thought she was screeching at times, but I think there is a good chance Blake will steal her if Adam lets her go. I didn’t watch the first few episodes of this season and forgot to set it on DVR, but now I’m looking forward to the battle rounds! Also, Shakira and Usher are great additions to the show. I prefer them to Xtina and CeeLo.

Comment by dan – April 10, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lesson: always reread your post and correct mistakes before posting. The word is “episode” and by “tonight’s episode” I meant “Tuesday’s episode.”

Comment by dan – April 10, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha Allen was in the indie musical comedy Camp with young Anna Kendrick back in ’03 too. she sings a big solo at the beginning of the movie

Comment by Maggie – April 10, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t begrudge the Jessica lovers. She is good. That said, I feel that Luke was the best of the night. The only reason for being down on him was song choice. When it comes to a singing competition, vanilla songs aren’t going to cut it. Side note: I think Usher is going to be an awesome coach!

Comment by David – April 10, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Usher looks he’s like he will be amazing. I was impressed with his focus and business attitude, even in the clips. He such a great addition to the show.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 10, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Most adorable quote of the season (non-Shakira category)” made me snort my kale shake out my nose. Ouch, but still: LOL!

Comment by dlonyc4 – April 10, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as Slezak jumped up to will Usher’s hand onto that button, throughout the blind auditions I find myself more emotionally engaged than on other singing comps. I feel happy for the singers selected. Maybe because the judges are less cagey about their assessments of the performance, there’s a full arrangement to the songs, the audience is involved. But the tone is completely engaging. I’d prefer that there were no eliminations in the first or second weeks, though. It would be great to spend at least one more week with all of these singers.

Comment by jw – April 10, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would have happened if Usher hadn’t picked Jessica? Is there a group of people who were waiting to audition until Usher finally picked someone? I know it’s a moot point now but I’m just curious how it woks.

Comment by Sarah – April 10, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *works

Comment by Sarah – April 10, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was probably the least suspenseful chair turnaround in Voice history. Usher just wanted to play the crowd and hear her sing some more, to let the other coaches know what they were missing.

Comment by MC – April 10, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They let some who have alreaady auditioned re-audition. They did it last season I believe. I think they choose who by what the coaches said about them like “should’ve pushed” or “comeback” some jazz like that.

Comment by sandy – April 10, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yep there are still people waiting to audition, who are told there is just one spot left. so it’ luck of the draw for them if they are towards the end

Comment by Hello Kitty – April 10, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love that this show doesn’t spend time on awful auditions and celebrates talent. Also… Luke Edgemon is/was a Warbler on Glee so interested to see how he does. He kind of bored me a little.

Comment by Melissa – April 10, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Girl with the White Blazer and Blue Pants? Does anyone ever advise these people this is not a good look for.. anything? :)

Comment by Blank Slate – April 10, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why but something about Jessica Childress’ face reminds me of Paige Miles. Thank god her singing doesn’t though.

Comment by Adam Fachry – April 10, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on ItsSammieLauren and commented:
    A huge fan of The Voice and their fourth season.

Comment by samanthalauren29 – April 10, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another super cute Jessica moment. Her “Wwwhaaat?!” when she found out no one else was able to push a button due to their teams being full. Love. Her.

Comment by megs – April 10, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think these would be my rankings for tonight:
    1) Jessica
    2) Luke
    3) Jacqui
    4) Amber

More importantly though, when will there be another Reality Check??? I would love to get Michael and Melinda’s take on The Voice this season! I don’t really watch Idol anymore, but I do still watch Idology just to see their recaps :)

Comment by Jennifer – April 10, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Jessica too but her sound is not really unique. There really is something special about Jacqui. Here pitch is perfect, and i liked her timing, she took her time, she has confidence. I bet she surprises us.

Comment by jay – April 12, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting for you, Michael, to rank all of the singers who were selected in the blind auditions. I pick Sarah Simmons to win it all.

Comment by Venus – April 12, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who was that guy with the glasses on who sang a song something like “Good Girl”?with a a rapper on in the middle of the song? Who is he and the name of the some

Comment by Erin – May 14, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post