The Voice Recap: Play It the Way You Feel It, But Listen Carefully to the Sound [Updated]

The-Voice-Jessica-Childress-Season-4Bruno Mars’ “Marry You” has probably been used in countless marriage proposals and wedding processions, but its lyrics have never felt more apt to me than during tonight’s final installment of The Voice‘s Season 4 Blind Auditions.

With three of the show’s four judges having filled their 12-member teams to capacity, the intensity level was already tickling the rafters as perky/adorable former public-relations exec Jessica Childress took the stage in AN attempt to launch a new career and a new life. And holy crow, could the woman ever sing!

RELATED | American Idol‘s Ratings Woes: 8 Common-Sense Ways to Salvage Season 12

“Don’t say no, no, no, no, no,” she pleaded (musically) to Usher, whose hand hovered over the top of his buzzer. “Just say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.” I’m not ashamed to admit that as she did so, I leapt to my feet, somehow feeling like I could physically sway the outcome of a reality TV moment that was taped months ago.

Finally, Usher did it: He rose to his feet, slapped that red button, and turned his chair for Jessica, making her the 48th person to advance to the Season 4 Battle Rounds. And thus, the Blind Auditions ended just as they started — with an aura of raucous celebration.

RELATED | Details on So You Think You Can Dance Season 10 Premiere

Anyhow, since a nice shot of NyQuil is poised to take me to the land of the Lunesta butterfly, let me get hoppin’ with a rundown of the four singers who advanced to the Battle Rounds on Episode 6 of Season 4. I’ve ranked these cats in order from least- to most-promising, as is my custom:

4) Luke Edgemon, Bonnie Raitt’s “I Can’t Make You Love Me” (Team Shakira) | Dude clearly has a gorgeous voice, but he added so many embellishments to Raitt’s gorgeous melody that it was kind of like dumping a tub of melted Velveeta over a perfect filet mignon. Illegal!

3) Jacqui Sandell, Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” (Team Blake) | Former ballerina put some nice grit and growl on certain notes, while mostly keeping it simple. As Blake noted, she’s got a “sneaky” voice and knows how to use it.

2) Amber Carrington, Carrie Underwood’s “Good Girl” (Team Adam) | Her white blazer and turquoise pants made her look more like a hip PTA mom than the 19-year-old she is, but on the plus side, she had enough vocal horsepower to handle a big Carrie Underwood ditty while managing to play with the melody just enough to keep it from being karaoke.

1) Jessica Childress, Bruno Mars’ “Marry You” (Team Usher) | There’s something optimistic and sunny about Jessica’s voice — perhaps it’s a little Shirelles-esque? — and she didn’t miss a single note of “Marry You,” either. Her response to making a team — “I am fully nuclear right now” — was the most adorable quote of the season (non-Shakira category).

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the final Blind Auditions of The Voice Season 4? Who was your favorite? Who got a spot on a coach’s team that left you scratching your head? Who got unfairly snubbed? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments! And for all my reality TV recaps, interviews, news and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Candice says:

I thought Luke was hands down the star of tonight. Can’t wait to see him progress and grow!

• Tarc says:

Amy Whitcomb on the Voice? AWESOME! They didn’t show her audition, but she’s a star-in-waiting.

• syb says:

Me too! Interesting. I agree with Michael more often than not, but I’d almost rank them in reverse order from his.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

hmm I thought Shakira actually made a mistake by stealing him from Usher only for Usher to then end up getting Jessica (and it looked like she was acting like she felt the same way too, actually)

2. analythinker says:

The Corrs reference, you’re getting cooler in my book, Slezak!
    Btw, Luke was on Idol too, right?

3. Can’t see why you ranked Luke 4th, he was by far my favourite.

4. Michael says:

I really liked the guy who sang Buble, wish someone would’ve picked him up!

• paula says:

I agree. I thought he was much better than the first girl who sang.

• mia says:

He can definitely sing, but Adam’s criticism was spot-on when he said that the song didn’t swing. Buble has a swagger that he puts into everything, and the song needed to have that movement to it. I think its something that can definitely be leared though.

5. B. says:

Can’t wait for the battles next week, so excited!!

6. Snow says:

The warped tour vet of the season has finally appeared. I knew they couldn’t go one season without having one, but I’m glad.

7. JAS says:

How did Dustin not get picked? I thought he was pretty amazing. Much better than half the people the judges have picked. :s

8. Maggie says:

I dug Amber’s performance, that’s a hard song, and gutsy to pick a Carrie Underwood song, but she made it her own and hit the notes she needed. good for her!

9. Julie says:

Luke #4 ummm NO WAY!! Totally a star! His voice is breathtaking. Bump him up a couple notches!

10. Davey says:

They did Dustin to come back. We may see him next season.

11. A says:

Luke was definitely the best of the night for me followed Jessica. Definitely disagree with the ranking.
    I would’ve ordered it: 1) Luke, 2) Jessica, 3) Amber, 4) Jacqui

12. monica says:

Jessica was the best!!

13. Lea H. says:

I loved Jessica! Her voice is phenomenal, but her happy, bubbly personality just pulls you in. You can’t help but like her.

• lyn says:

ITA and it’s making me crazy because she reminds me of someone and I can’t put my finger on who it is. She’s so pretty and has so much charisma, I think she’ll be a star even if she doesn’t win The Voice.

14. dan says:

From Monday’s episdoe: I knew that Sasha Allen’s name sounded familiar, and now I’ve read that she is a Broadway actress (she was in the “Hair” revival a few years ago). She and Jessica from tonight’s episode are my favorites. I also thought the guy who was in the band that Carson saw as a teenager was decent and I was surprised nobody turned for him. I wasn’t as impressed with Amber because I thought she was screeching at times, but I think there is a good chance Blake will steal her if Adam lets her go. I didn’t watch the first few episodes of this season and forgot to set it on DVR, but now I’m looking forward to the battle rounds! Also, Shakira and Usher are great additions to the show. I prefer them to Xtina and CeeLo.

• dan says:

Lesson: always reread your post and correct mistakes before posting. The word is “episode” and by “tonight’s episode” I meant “Tuesday’s episode.”

• Maggie says:

Sasha Allen was in the indie musical comedy Camp with young Anna Kendrick back in ’03 too. she sings a big solo at the beginning of the movie

15. David says:

I don’t begrudge the Jessica lovers. She is good. That said, I feel that Luke was the best of the night. The only reason for being down on him was song choice. When it comes to a singing competition, vanilla songs aren’t going to cut it. Side note: I think Usher is going to be an awesome coach!

16. dlonyc4 says:

“Most adorable quote of the season (non-Shakira category)” made me snort my kale shake out my nose. Ouch, but still: LOL!

17. jw says:

Just as Slezak jumped up to will Usher’s hand onto that button, throughout the blind auditions I find myself more emotionally engaged than on other singing comps. I feel happy for the singers selected. Maybe because the judges are less cagey about their assessments of the performance, there’s a full arrangement to the songs, the audience is involved. But the tone is completely engaging. I’d prefer that there were no eliminations in the first or second weeks, though. It would be great to spend at least one more week with all of these singers.

18. Sarah says:

What would have happened if Usher hadn’t picked Jessica? Is there a group of people who were waiting to audition until Usher finally picked someone? I know it’s a moot point now but I’m just curious how it woks.

• MC says:

That was probably the least suspenseful chair turnaround in Voice history. Usher just wanted to play the crowd and hear her sing some more, to let the other coaches know what they were missing.

• sandy says:

They let some who have alreaady auditioned re-audition. They did it last season I believe. I think they choose who by what the coaches said about them like “should’ve pushed” or “comeback” some jazz like that.

• Hello Kitty says:

yep there are still people waiting to audition, who are told there is just one spot left. so it’ luck of the draw for them if they are towards the end

19. Melissa says:

I just love that this show doesn’t spend time on awful auditions and celebrates talent. Also… Luke Edgemon is/was a Warbler on Glee so interested to see how he does. He kind of bored me a little.

20. Blank Slate says:

The Girl with the White Blazer and Blue Pants? Does anyone ever advise these people this is not a good look for.. anything? :)

21. Adam Fachry says:

I don’t know why but something about Jessica Childress’ face reminds me of Paige Miles. Thank god her singing doesn’t though.

22. Reblogged this on ItsSammieLauren and commented:
    A huge fan of The Voice and their fourth season.

23. megs says:

Another super cute Jessica moment. Her “Wwwhaaat?!” when she found out no one else was able to push a button due to their teams being full. Love. Her.

24. Jennifer says:

I think these would be my rankings for tonight:
    1) Jessica
    2) Luke
    3) Jacqui
    4) Amber

More importantly though, when will there be another Reality Check??? I would love to get Michael and Melinda’s take on The Voice this season! I don’t really watch Idol anymore, but I do still watch Idology just to see their recaps :)

25. jay says:

I liked Jessica too but her sound is not really unique. There really is something special about Jacqui. Here pitch is perfect, and i liked her timing, she took her time, she has confidence. I bet she surprises us.

26. Venus says:

Waiting for you, Michael, to rank all of the singers who were selected in the blind auditions. I pick Sarah Simmons to win it all.

27. Erin says:

who was that guy with the glasses on who sang a song something like “Good Girl”?with a a rapper on in the middle of the song? Who is he and the name of the some