Carrie Diaries Finale Preview: Brendan Dooling on Walt's Coming Out and His Feelings for Bennet

Carrie Diaries Season 1 SpoilersAs The Carrie Diaries signs off for the season Monday (The CW, 8/7c) — the titular writer’s secretly gay pal, Walt, will find himself pushed out of the closet.

With everything out in the open, will Walt be emboldened to take his friendship with Bennet to the next level?

RELATED | Carrie Diaries Season 2 Spoilers — Is a Sex and the City Character on the Way?

Below, Brendan Dooling talks about his character’s feelings for his pal, the blowout with Maggie and how Sex and the City comes into play in the finale.

TVLINE | Walt’s storyline has really stood out, both because of your performance and the thoughtful writing. What response have you been getting?
From the people that I meet face-to-face, family and friends, to the fans on Twitter, everyone really, really loves Walt’s storyline, how the arc has progressed and how it’s not a typical gay character in primetime television. The response has been really heartwarming. It’s not just the silly stuff like, “Oh my God, Walt is so hot.” It’s like, “Oh my God, Walt’s story, I’m actually connecting with it.” And it’s really nice. I won’t say that it’s surprising because, obviously, I’d hoped for something like this. But to the degree that I’ve gotten [feedback] throughout the entire season, I couldn’t have expected it.

TVLINE | There’s clearly a lot of care put into it.
Yes. [Executive producer] Amy Harris always said from the very beginning that she feels near and dear to Walt. And I do, too. It’s sort of fitting that I would play this role, because I grew up with friends in the same position. Now I’m trying to do them proud.

TVLINE | What’s next for Walt on this journey of self-discovery in the finale?
He finally asserts himself. He puts his foot down, and he says, “All right, I am in control of this.” I think everyone’s going to be excited to see that. I certainly was when I first read the script. There’s a bit of a leap of faith for him in the season finale because things don’t really go his way or according to plan. So he needs to improvise. He puts himself out there on the chopping block, which is very brave.

RELATED | The CW Summer Premiere Dates 2013 –Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Breaking Pointe

TVLINE | He’s been lucky so far in that the people he’s opened up to, like Carrie and Donna, have reacted nicely and accepted him. But how is Maggie dealing with all of this?
The last two years that they’ve been together, as far as she knows, they’ve just been a big lie. So she does take it to heart. She obviously feels a sense of betrayal, understandably so. It’s not as if Walt was actively hiding something from her. It was just the development of his sexuality, and it, unfortunately, equaled hurting somebody, which of course he never wanted. But them’s the breaks, I guess. That’s life. I hate to use those clichés, but that’s just how it worked out. But you can’t really blame Maggie for her knee-jerk reaction.

TVLINE | I imagine his family won’t be so understanding, either. Has Amy given you any hints that that’s something they’ll explore if there’s a Season 2?
No hints yet. But obviously, in the books, Walt lives in a tent in his backyard because his dad doesn’t want him in the house. I do not know where Amy and the writers are going to take it, because I don’t know what the setting of a beginning of a Season 2 would be. I don’t know if it would be just the city or if it would include Castlebury. I’m sure Walt does not want it to include Castlebury. But [there will] definitely [be] more adversity.

TVLINE | Now that he’s revealing his true self to people, what does that mean for his relationship with Bennet?
It certainly fortifies the relationship. It’s tough for me to answer that question because I think the season finale does such a good job of it.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

TVLINE | Do you think Walt genuinely likes Bennet? Or is it because this is the first guy who’s accepted him and seen him for who he is?
What I’ve been saying from the beginning is, as attractive as Bennet may be, he’s also the first person that Walt has experienced who is entirely himself, and people love him for it. That has to do with the environment he’s in and, of course, the type of person he is. But [Walt has] never seen it before. So it’s also the novelty of Bennet that Walt is attracted to. It’s that whole atmosphere that Bennet surrounds himself with. And of course, he’s a very supportive, compassionate guy, so who wouldn’t like him?

TVLINE | How does the world of Sex and the City enter into the finale?
It’s pretty gradual. It’s just the implication that Sex and the City does exist. It’s a really good way to end the first season, to make it known that there is a connection there. You can only hope that it drives the Sex and the City fans crazy enough that they want a second season because everybody will be like, “Oh my God, it is Sex and the City! This is crazy! I want to see young Carrie and young Samantha and young Charlotte.”

1. mia says:

TCD has been one of the strongest first seasons I’ve seen in a while. From start to finish, its been fabulous. The characters were there, the storylines were planed out, and they really haven’t needed any time to ‘find their footing’.
    And I love Walt’s storyline. I hope it gets renewed.

• Agreed, Mia. It’s entertaining on its own merits but also throws in style elements from SATC (bonus). And now with this teaser that more “Sex” is coming tonight…I’m sold. Gimme a second season.

• Elyse says:

Completely agree!

• Joline says:

The show has REALLY come on strong at the end. Loved the last episode. For those who gave up on it mid-way through due to lack of strong story lines, think you should give it another chance.

2. Amanda says:

We need a second season of this show! Best written teen show in a long while!

3. Jared says:

I was never a huge fan of SATC but TCD has really surprised me. Really cute show and love Walt’s storyline the best. I don’t know how good a second season looks at this point but the season was solid either way. Look forward to watching the finale.

4. Elyse says:

The Carrie Diaries has been such a great show! It makes me sad that it probably won’t get a second season :(

5. France says:

I love TCD! I got hooked to it the first time i watched it. I love Walt, Mouse, Sebastian and of course Carrie.

There should be season 2!!! But i think there won’t be another season :((

6. Georgia Madman says:

The words “sublime” and “The Carrie Diaries” should never appear in the same sentence. Kill it quickly.

7. Julia says:

This show is great! Hope it get a second season

8. Leo says:

If this get cancelled, I hope the actress playing Donna Ladonna gets another show. Stat! She’s crazy talented and is my favorite character of the show.

9. Wild_Orchid says:

As a fan of SATC I was prepared to hate TCD but truthfully I find it to be a gem of a show. Great writing, good acting, and wonderful chemistry among the actors. I sincerely hope its renewed.

10. Ongoing says:

Awesome website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in
    this article? I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

11. I got this web page from my buddy who told me on the
    topic of this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this website
    and reading very informative content at this place.

12. mary says:

Love this show..I too hope it gets a second season!!

13. Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from.
    Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this site.

14. If you find a site that is full of stunning women,
    all size 10, blonde hair, blue eyes who are always online, you can be sure it will
    be a fake site with fake women trying to make you part with your money.
    You can openly talk to each other, share your
    feelings and take your relationship further. There two types
    of Russian dating sites free Russian dating services and pay Russian dating services so online singles can select which one they prefer and register themselves.

15. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement
    account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we communicate?

16. In apartment buildings, typically the amount one way to get the harm deposit again
    is merely to depart items in as great or greater condition
    than you found them. You can cancel subscriptions which you no longer need and scrap old papers.
    OK – I know that this might sound intimidating to someone who has no entrepreneurial experience.

17. Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?

I have a blog based upon on the same information you
    discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my viewers would appreciate your work. If you are
    even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

18. We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our
    community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You have performed an impressive job and our whole community shall be
    grateful to you.

19. Aw, this was a really nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a really good article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and never seem to
    get anything done.

20. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognize what
    you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally seek advice from my website =).
    We could have a link exchange arrangement among us

21. Those sites are bisexual dating sites created to assist those who
    have realized that it is the individual, and not the gender, that counts.

A very popular choice to remotepy monitor multiple live video
    and audio webcam feeds from your i – Phone, i – Pod touch or i -Pad over Wi-Fi, 3G and EDGE is i – Cam available for $4.
    There are various categories of girls to choose from.