The Carrie Diaries Finale: 5 Developments that Have Us Excited About a (Possible) Season 2

Get More: Recaps

Carrie Diaries Season 1 RecapThe following contains spoilers for Monday’s episode of The Carrie Diaries. If you have yet to watch, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

The Carrie Diaries (season?) finale on Monday was full of heartbreak and potential — for both its characters and the CW series.

With one couple calling it quits and another on the verge of starting something new, TVLine presents five developments from the season ender that have us crossing our fingers for a renewal.

RELATED | 2013 TV Shows — Renewed or Cancelled?

CARRIE ON THE PROWL | After her umpteenth break-up with Sebastian (upon finding out that he not only lied about her dad, but also cheated on her with Maggie), Carrie is a single girl again. And while heartbreak certainly hurts, we’re sort of delighting in her pain. It was nice to explore the teen in a committed relationship — and Sebastian is certainly not hard to look at — but part of the fun of Sex and the City was watching and relating to Ms. Bradshaw’s travails in dating. So bring on the (cute) new love interests!

A NEW ROMANCE | Pushed out of the closet by Maggie’s very public outburst, Walt encountered something else unexpected: the courage to accept his feelings and finally kiss Bennet. Sadly, Walt’s pal wasn’t quite ready to reciprocate, although he was definitely interested; he just didn’t feel right Carrie Diaries Season 1 Spoilersabout their age difference. But don’t fret, the high schooler turns 18 over the summer — come next season, anything goes! After the thoughtful, sensitive way Carrie Diaries has portrayed Walt’s coming-out arc, we simply must see what his first honest relationship looks like.

SUMMER IN THE CITY | Carrie is taking up residence in Larissa’s loft while she’s out of town, which leaves the door wide open for countless New York-set adventures (Carrie’s first house party, Carrie’s first city-cockroach sighting, etc.). Executive producer Amy Harris also confirmed that she hopes to spend the first couple episodes of Season 2 in “those hot, steamy New York summers mixed with the country club of Castlebury. That is going to lead to some exciting, very sexy stories.” Not to mention, the temporary move puts Walt, who’s shacking up with Carrie, and Bennet in close proximity. (We really like them, OK?).

BLASTS FROM THE FUTURE | It was only a passing line, but we’re already anticipating the introduction of Bennet’s club promoter pal, Stanford! And if we should be lucky enough to meet a younger version of Mr. Blatch, who do you think should play the part?

NEW PAIRINGS | If there’s anything Carrie Diaries proved this season, it’s that it can take any combination of characters — Sebastian and Mouse, Larissa and Tom, even Donna and Dorrit — and make them work, thanks to the charismatic cast and deft writing. With several couples and friendships coming undone in the finale, there’s lots of opportunity for fresh dynamics. Plus, some new pairings are just heating up, leaving us with lots of questions: Will the impossibly smooth Miller break Dorrit’s heart now that they’ve had sex? Will Sebastian and Maggie find themselves drawn to each other after being booted out of Carrie’s life? And can anyone crack Donna LaDonna’s neon-colored shell?

Comments (36)

• PERFECT finale. Gave me chills. Mags outing Walt was perfect and I’m so glad Bennet wanted to do Walt right. I was on the fence about Dorit losing her v-card but that story went very well and will open things up next season (if…) that will be spectacular. I was afraid that Carrie and Walt wouldn’t be spending the summer in the city because time on the episode was running short, but it ended so well. Very impressed by how dynamic the storytelling was this season. All the characters have grown so much and I am praying for more time. Best freshman show I can think of in a long, long time.

Comment by brycealexander – April 8, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kind of pissed about Sebastian not being Carrie’s first. I really loved them as a couple and while I know SATC was about lots of different relationships, I wanted more of Carrie and Sebastian together. I’m glad she gave it to Maggie at the end…Maggie was my least favorite character on the whole series. Anyway, I hope we get a season two. I really enjoyed the show and I love the characters, but I want to be able to get past how upset I am over Kyddshaw being over and not have that be the first thing I think about when I remember the show.

Comment by Kayla – April 8, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with everything and love Bennet and Walt!

Comment by Tina B. – April 8, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i definitely agree about Sebastian and Carrie!! I wish they were still together, I was kind of upset that we didn’t see more of them as a couple and the struggle of maintaining a relationship. I absolutely love them together and I’m saddened by the outcome, Especially him kissing Maggie how much of a whore could they possibly make her. I hope we see more of Sebastian in season 2, of him trying to when Carrie over! ijs

Comment by Michelle – April 9, 2013 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I definitely agree about what Kayla said about Sebastian and Carrie* & I thought they did it ?? I guess I was wrong :(

Comment by Michelle – April 9, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The chances of this being picked up for another season are very slim. I have a feeling The Tomorrow People will end up in its timeslot.

Comment by TT – April 8, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Sebastian so incredibly tedious and off-putting, from his blah-blah-boring bad boy backstory to his pouty-lipped,duckface smile. I’m sorry, but Chord Overstreet 2.0 can barely act, and even if he could, he wasn’t given much to work with. He’s a stockcharacter without much depth and his relationship with Carrie does nothing to develop her character at all. Deep-six him. Can we finally get some viable male love interests in a teen drama that aren’t such boring cliches?

Comment by Michael – April 8, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. He can’t act his way out of a paperbag. Get rid of him and maybe the show will get better ratings. He is only famous for his girlfriend.

Comment by Katy – April 9, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he was famous before Vanessa H
        So clearly
        hes doing something right

Comment by Bo – April 12, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have mixed feelings. I really wanted more for Carrie & Sebastian. Dorrit turns me off, completely, not interested in her story at all. But I love Walt & Bennet and would love to see where that goes. If this gets renewed I’ll watch but if it doesn’t it won’t kill me :-)

Comment by Wrstlgirl – April 8, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry? Carrie was in a committed relationship with Sebastian? when? seriously where was the committed part? She was always breaking up with him for the stupidest reasons. She wants to end up with a white picket fence, a nice guy and a station wagon? Brady Bunch? Carrie pisses me off, some parts about her are ok, but she is so stupid and clueless, and not adorably either like Alicia Silverstone. I know she goes through a lot of other guys but Sebastian really loved her and he was committed despite his messed up parents. I can’t keep watching how poorly she treats him, she never deserved him. I wasn’t a huge fan of sex and the city either but this is worse! I liked Carrie and Big in SATC and I liked Steve, that’s about it. Charlotte was an insecure whiner, Samantha was a slut but interesting, and Miranda was the worst, never liked her. Carrie was the least messed up in that whole group. I love Bennet and Walt. Don’t care for Dorrit and Maggie is a slut.

Comment by Tina B. – April 8, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually don’t mind Carrie. Adult Carrie was the same. She always over think things. Remember she broke up with Big in the beginning because he never told his mother about her and he won’t say she was the one..blah blah blach. Then she hook up with Aiden and then cheats on him with Big.

Comment by Andy – April 9, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • too bad it’s gonna be cancelled!

Comment by Carrie – April 8, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree w/ comments about Carrie getting upset with sebastian over dumb things, but i love them together. Hopeful for a s2. Walt and Bennet are cute. I like Maggie with the cop, they deserve each other.

Comment by lorna – April 8, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season two? The abysmal ratings say otherwise. The show just aired its series finale.

Comment by J – April 8, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All remaining CW shows are at semi-similar ratings and they won’t be canceling all of them. I’m hoping they keep Hart and Carrie

Comment by B – April 9, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they ended with Carrie still a virgin, especially since this may be the series finale. It was still great, though. I’m hoping to high Heaven for a second season!

Comment by Dan – April 8, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am upset I am over Kyddshaw being over. They shoulda had Sebastien as Carries first and have dorrit’s bf/cheating storyline.wtf seriously? 1st ur puttin Donna w/Seb,now Maggie? Kinda want a season two to see where the writer’s take this.@least have Carrie tell off Sebastien! Hahaha

Comment by Anne – April 8, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carrie is an idiot I don’t think she deserves sebastian at all but I hope there’s a season 2

Comment by Lee – April 8, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sincerely hope this show returns for a second season. It got off to a slow start but really gained steam towards the end of the show. The last few episodes were amazing. With time for a reboot (losing some characters, picking up the pace, keeping the center around NYC) it could really be a great show.

Comment by Joline – April 8, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh…I just hope that if Walt and Bennet do end up going out that it doesn’t last long. I’m not a big fan of Bennet. :/

Comment by Jess – April 8, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show and know a lot of people who also love it! As a dedicated fan I am so thrilled for season two. It’s amazing to watch how dead on Carrie plays Carries role, amazing! I enjoy watching all the characters and seeing them behave like normal people experiencing the highs and lows that life throws and growing into who they are. I think the writers know exactly what they are doing because I cant get enough. And I think Sebastian is absolutely gorgeous. They couldn’t have done a better job casting him. All the characters are great in their own ways.

Comment by Mari – April 8, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TCD <3 please give us a season 2!!!

Comment by Elyse – April 9, 2013 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes i want more plz!!!

Comment by holly – April 22, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this was a very overstuffed finale that went a long way to cram acceptable solutions to all longer storylines into 42 minutes, and I think that took away from many things, for example the more important plot points, the character development and the interaction (which is the best part of the show, in my opinion).
    Case in point: I really could have done without the Dadshaw and Dorritt stuff and instead focus more on Carrie and her stuff, and Walt and Maggie. It would have been okay for me if some of this had already gone down last episode, or not at all, really.
    The break-up number 500… sigh. That felt a bit rushed.
    Walt’s storyline was great, if short, and while I found Maggie’s reaction to be awful, it is also realistic. Not everyone can shower Walt with loving support – some people will always react to a coming-out with disgust, in 1984 and today, even though that’s utterly stupid and abhorrent. I did like that Bennett told Walt to wait until he’s of age; very mature and thoughtful and such a nice contrast to eighth-grader Dorritt DATING A SENIOR. UGH. (Also a nice contrast to shows like Pretty Little Liars, which I like, but I’m not always comfortable with some of the relationships).
    Mouse is adorable, and I think she was great in this episode, finally telling her parents off.

While I really enjoy this show, I felt a bit let down by this finale. But I still would watch the hell out of a second season, especially with Walt and Carrie together in the City (my dreamteam). I think the show has done a great job in making me root for those characters and their friendships. For a sadly unlikely season 2, I would wish for a clearer focus on certain characters. Carrie, Walt, Mouse and Larissa as the main focus, Mr. Bradshaw, Maggie, Sebastian, and Dorritt supporting. Then integrate Donna into the plot, and maybe turn Larissa into a character instead of a surprise bag of anecdotes and quirks.

This show has so much potential and a lot of heart, and I’d be very sad to see it go.

Comment by Lea – April 9, 2013 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!! I have a feeling Maggie is going to be pregnant and not know who the father is – Sebastian or the “booty-call” newly engaged cop??? Weirder things have happened :) Bring on Season 2…

Comment by Belle – April 9, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P.S. How true to life was the breakup/get back together between Carrie & Sebastian? I mean seriously, that’s high school for sure…I don’t know how many times I broke up with a boy only to be back together within a day or two.

Comment by Belle – April 9, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As I watched this episode last night I realized something. The Carrie Diaries certainly isn’t the most highbrow show in my DVR queue, but I have really grown to like these characters as people–yes, even Donna–and enjoy spending forty-something minutes with them every week. It dawned on me how rare that is. I mean, as obsessed as I am with The Americans and The Following, how many of those characters would you actually want to know? My caring for these characters really really snuck up on me the same way it did with another ratings-challenged period drama from a few years ago: Swingtown. Like that show, The Carrie Diaries has given us a finale that makes the possibility of it not continuing feel like cruelty on the part of the network. Here’s hoping it doesn’t suffer the same fate!

Comment by Jared – April 9, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oi, don’t even get me started on Swingtown! That was such an awesome show and it’s really unfair that it only lasted 1 season. As soon as I saw some of the actors appearing in other places, I knew the show was over. Sad.

Comment by Rebecca – April 9, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show continues, as well. Really like the Miller character, much more so than Sebastian. I have to say, AnnaSophia Robb is an amazing find for the CW. That chick can ACT. The Larissa character really became the glue that held the show/worlds together, unexpectedly. And, as most have noted, Walt and Bennett are just the bomb.

Comment by Jason – April 9, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show isn’t renewed I will loose all faith in Humanity.

Comment by Celia – April 9, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not the best show I’m watching, but it is cute and fun enough. It would have made a nice summer show, if CW went that route ala ABC Fam.

I was already over Sebastian before the latest make-up and break-up.

Comment by Tee – April 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi near would you mind stating which blog platform you’re operational with? I’m looking to start my peculiar blog presently but I’m having a tough time deciding connecting BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your describe seems discrete at that moment most blogs and I’m looking for impressive completely inimitable. P.S My apologies for being off-topic nevertheless I had to ask!

Comment by Randall Tolmich – April 9, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they keep the show. I love the Sebastian/Carrie drama and Walt/Bennett are great together. Dorrit and Mouse are really annoying, I hope we see less of them next season. Every show needs a villain and Maggie is very interestingly damaged, she and Carrie could really have some epic cat fights.

Comment by Jones19 – April 10, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has recieved such harsh ratings, largely in part (in my opinion) because people are comparing it too closely to Sex and the City. Cut the show some slack, there’s a 20 year difference between the two worlds, 20 years of personal growth that Carrie has to experience. What hasn’t been recognized enough however, is how talented AnnaSophia Robb is. At first, I wasn’t so sure about her playing a young Carrie Bradshaw, but within the first 5 minutes of the pilot she reeled me in. Somehow, the girl has managed to get all the mannerisms of SJP down to an art – so many times I find myself going “That was SO Carrie!” about the way she said a certain phrase, or cocked her head as she said it. This show has far too much potential to be cancelled.

Also, I don’t think networks are taking into consideration that we are in a different day and age – viewcount can’t be solely taken from the timeslots of TV shows on their networks, we’re in an age of advanced technology where no one has time for TV and commercials anymore and instead watch majority of TV shows online.

Comment by Erin – April 12, 2013 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on
    this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!

Comment by battlefield 3 multiplayer crack – July 7, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post