Castle Preview: Ryan's 'Badass' Undercover Self 'Surprises the Hell Out of Everybody'

Get More: Previews

Castle Season 5 Spoilers Ryan JennyThis week on ABC’s Castle (Monday, 10/9c), Detective Kevin Ryan (played by Seamus Dever) must slip back into an alias he used years ago while working narcotics — revealing to his pals at the 12th a side they’d never seen and putting a fiery old flame in close proximity.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

When a man is found dead in an industrial cake mixer (was he battered?), the investigation leads Beckett & Co. to Siobhan O’Doul (Cara Buono, Mad Men) — a beautiful bar owner with whom Ryan has a complicated history from his days undercover with a Staten Island mob.

“She was basically Ryan’s girlfriend,” Dever tells TVLine, “so we get to see a lot of him making amends to her. There’s a lot of making up and doing the right thing for her, to help her out of the current situation.”

To that end, Ryan dusts off his old undercover persona, Fenton O’Connell, to delve back into the underworld of the Irish mob.

“You see Ryan immerse himself and play a different character, basically,” says Dever. “You’re going to realize that he’s not just that guy in a tie and sweater vest. He has a very dark past that gets to come out.”

“This episode features Seamus in a way that we have not been able to feature him before,” affirms series lead Nathan Fillion. “We’ve got all these wonderful, talented actors on this show, so to be able to take them out of their wheelhouse of what they’re usually doing and say, ‘This guy has a life outside of his cop-ness that we see all the time, he has history, he has other things going on,’ is very exciting.”

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

Ryan’s colleagues meanwhile are a bit taken aback to “meet” his alter ego. “NATHAN FILLION, JON HUERTAS, SEAMUS DEVER, JULIANA DEVERAs Ryan assumes his old persona and sees if he still has the ‘juice’ to do what he used to do, it surprises the hell out of everybody,” Dever previews. “They’re like, ‘Oh my God, he did that…? What?!’ Everyone sees this mild-mannered family man, but here he gets to be a badass.”

Alas, Ryan’s wife Jenny must also lay witness to this transformation — and just as they’re laboring to put themselves in a family way. “Jenny comes back and we get to see the progress they’re making in trying to have a baby,” Dever says. “There’s some lovely work by my wife Juliana [Dever], which is a real treat.” (As previously reported, the wannabe parents will have either a thumbs up or thumbs down to share by the end of the episode.)

All told, Dever describes the Ryan-centric hour as “fun” and “dark and interesting.” The actor raves, “Terence Winter wrote us an amazing episode, so I hope it all turns out, because on paper it was amazing.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Want more scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (29)

• good! I’d like to see Ryan’s character fleshed out!

Comment by Emily S – March 24, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great!! Love Ryan. But when are we getting a Lanie Centric???? Stil waiting…

Comment by Johanna – March 24, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she’s too 1 dimensional as an ME

Comment by Shaun – March 24, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thats why she needs an episode

Comment by Russ – March 24, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After we know about Beckett’s past, Castle’s father and Esposito’s past, now we’ll get to see Ryan’s which is I really excited about.

Comment by ska – March 24, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking forward to this episode. The entire cast is great on the show (Espo and Ryan are a hoot as partners) and it’s nice to see the supporting cast (e.g., Ryan) get a chance to shine. That only leaves Lanie who has had the least exposure story-wise and Gates (which I don’t really have much interest in – still miss Montgomery).

Comment by Barb – March 24, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the fact that the show doesn’t push the supporting cast to the background but also digs deeper into their past. That’s why it’s so easy to love the characters.

Comment by Astrid – March 24, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tough guy Ryan will be hard to pull off. The character has been developed in the opposite direction for 5 seasons so this shift might not be convincing to viewers. Perhaps if the the actor who played Ryan seemed more masculine, I’d have more confidence, but Seamus Dever is a self-proclaimed sonnet writing, theater geek, vegetarian, who gets weekly facials with his wife. He might as well have a vagina! If he can pull this off, it’ll prove he’s a very good actor. Either way, the episode’s worth watching to see how things go. I hope it turns out well.

Comment by Mick – March 24, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously never seen him as the dasterly dr Ian devlin on general hospital so you have no clue if can play a bad guy

Comment by Alex – March 24, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Correct, Alex, I don’t watch soaps. I have a job.

From what I understand, Ryan isn’t supposed to be a BAD guy in the upcoming episode, but rather a tough guy. We’ll see if he can pull it off. I have my doubts but would like to see him succeed.

Comment by Mick – March 24, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • WTF? I have a job and I DVR GH. Get over yourself.

Comment by PG – March 24, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True, that is an option. Let me rephrase myself:

I don’t watch soaps. I have a life.

Comment by Mick – March 24, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
        • “Seamus Dever is a self-proclaimed sonnet writing, theater geek, vegetarian, who gets weekly facials with his wife. He might as well have a vagina!”

Impeccable logic there. You claim to “have a life”, so please feel free to get back to it and stop posting nonsense here.

Comment by John – March 24, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry John but your rude, juvenile and hateful comments reveal more about you than about Seamus Dever. If you have the need to anonymously sling insults, I am sorry for your lack of self-esteem.

Comment by chistosa – March 25, 2013 06:29 AM PDT
        • Still rude.

Comment by Bob – March 25, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is really no need to respond like that. You look really immature. Just say you don’t watch soaps, you’ve never seen him in that role and move on.

Comment by NBC – March 24, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the …? “He might as well have a vagina”??? I’m sorry, I can’t take you seriously.

Comment by Annie – March 24, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve left some very rude comments for someone who has delved into Mr. Dever’s life in a way a lot of people wouldn’t. You say “He might as well have a vagina!” Obviously, he is very self-confident in himself and his work to be so successful. You, on the other hand, felt a need to put him down, basically because you don’t understand him. Women appreciate a man like that; rude comments and acting superior? No, not so much.

Comment by Cathy – March 24, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guys this person is obviously not worth anyones time. It’s easy to sit behind a computer and insult other people.

Comment by Julie – March 24, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me it’s not a question of whether or not he can “pull off” the role. It’s that I don’t care enough about his backstory to sit through an hour of it.

Comment by Tabs – March 24, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I’m not getting my hopes up. While I liked watching Beckett and Castle’s past, I thought Esposito’s was a pain to watch. But maybe this will be surprisingly good.

Comment by May – March 24, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Esposito’s did nothing for me either. The second they introduced the wayward teen, you knew Espo was going to try to earn his trust and take him under his wing. It was like a bad after school special.

Comment by Tabs – March 24, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m embarrassed I didn’t know Dever’s real-life wife played Jenny. Shame on me.

Comment by Annie – March 24, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been really excited for this episode. Seamus is such a talent, and I love to see supporting cast members take on serious material.

Comment by 4theloveoffilm – March 24, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was looking forward to this episode, until I read the details. Seriously, more Staten Island mob crap? I hate that that’s the only part of my hometown that ever reaches TV.

Comment by nick1372 – March 24, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seamus can only do so many decent accents. :)

Comment by taliesin – March 24, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An episode about Ryan? I thought his only purpose on Castle was to make Nathan look taller and more rugged.
    What’s next, a Martha Rogers centric episode where we learn that before she was an actress she was an assassin for hire?

Comment by Tabs – March 24, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, oh please let Ryan’s wife be pregnant! I’d just love to see the doofus “Wait, what?!” expression on his face.

Comment by Dreamrose – March 24, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seamus Dever played a villain in an episode of NCIS (Season 4, Episode 3 Singled Out) and he was fantastic. Cannot wait to see his transformation in Castle.

Comment by tvdiva – March 25, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post