Vampire Diaries Recap: That '70s Show

Because the NightThursday’s Vampire Diaries brought us one of the best character entrances in recent memory as Damon recounted his time in New York City circa 1977 to Elena.

Close your eyes and picture it: A couple walks down a dark, empty street – until they’re stopped in their tracks by someone lying lifelessly on the floor. Before they even have a chance to help, the mystery man is on his feet and feeding on the gal.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

“You’re that serial killer, aren’t you? Son of Sam?” asks the frightened man.

“Son of Giuseppe, but close enough,” replies Damon, as Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer” starts to play. (Music supervisor Chris Mollere, you are a genius.)

Back in those days, the vampire had shut off his emotions and was so out of control that even Stefan and Lexi heard about his sloppy escapades back in Mystic Falls. (Side note: If Stefan was in town in the ’70s, wouldn’t some of Mystic Falls’ current, older residents remember him?)

So Lexi came to New York to stop him because both she and Stefan were concerned about him. (“You got Lexied?” marvels Elena.) Lexi partied with Damon. She drank with him. She tried to get him to spill his guts about Katherine so that he would start to feel again. And eventually, she slept with him after he revealed that he’d flipped the switch and started to care for someone else: Her. But the next morning on the rooftop of the club, Lexi was met with the harsh sun – and Damon’s lies. It was actually all a trick to pay her back for six months of nagging and righteousness. Then Damon didn’t see her for several decades until she showed up in Mystic Falls to wish his brother a happy birthday, and the guilt washed over the elder Salvatore. (But not so much that it stopped him from killing her. Doesn’t this whole flashback just add a heartbreaking element to what went down between the two in Season 1?)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Scoop Vampire Elena’s Search for the Cure

Because the NightDamon tells this story to Elena as a warning. He doesn’t want her to do anything she’ll regret once she turns her humanity back on. But the new vampire has different things on her mind. She’s actually enjoying her new carefree state of being — fresh hairstyle included — and doesn’t want to take the cure or go back to feeling everything. In fact, she’s out to play Damon so she can get to the cure first and get rid of it. Rebekah offers up her assistance, but Elena rejects her, calling her an “emotional variable” she doesn’t need. Instead, she seduces Damon, trying to get the piece of paper in his back pocket with Katherine’s whereabouts. Having played the same trick on Lexi, Damon stops her. What he doesn’t see coming is Rebekah swooping in to snap his neck and the two gals taking off in his car to go after Katherine.

This cure business just got fun!

Meanwhile, back in Mystic Falls, Stefan enlists Klaus’ help with the Silas situation, and good thing he did because the mystical baddie has pulled one over on Bonnie big-time. She even knows Shane is really Silas, and she’s still working with him and plotting to kill the 12 witches! She fools the coven into believing that she needs to be expelled of expression, but Stefan shows up and spills the truth. Unfortunately, it comes down to saving the 12 witches or Bonnie’s life, and Caroline makes the choice to help her pal. With another massacre complete, Silas’ plan is done. But – twist! – Bonnie doesn’t remember anything that happened after Jeremy tried to pry the cure out of Silas’ hands. So does this mean she’s free of Silas’ control? Or is he just getting started with her?

RELATED | The CW Sets Finale Dates: Who’s Done First?

The events take an emotional toll on Caroline, who realizes she’s just murdered 12 innocent people. It looks as if Klaus is about to offer her comfort, but when you’re an Original, you tend to hold onto things – like Caroline’s earlier comment to him that “people who do terrible things are just terrible people” – for a very long time. So he replies, “Why don’t you find someone less terrible you can relate to.” Before he leaves the woods though, he senses Silas, who stabs him (partially) with a White Oak stake to get him to give up the cure’s location.

Vampire Diaries fans, are you as excited as I am for The Adventures of the Two Doppelgangers and the Original? What did you think of Damon’s 1970s fun and the new wrinkle to his history with Lexi (who needs to come back more often)? And has Bonnie lost her mind or is she finally starting to regain it now that she’s lost her memory instead?

1. Diva says:

Better than the last episode but not by much. At least they tried to explain why Damon killed Lexi even though it was a dumb reason and really did they need to have sex? Was that necessary?
    Please writers DO NOT let Klaroline happen it just wouldn’t make any sense.
    This is the first time I was on Klaus and Elena’s side for once. They were the only ones thinking rationally. Let 1 person die or 12 and bring back the dead. Great decision Caroline, and you’re one of my favorites on the show.
    But isn’t funny that if the Salvatore Brothers thought rationally, they would see that Not saving Elena all the time would be a better decision for everyone?

• Lena says:

Yeah, why didn’t Caroline let Bonnie die? Forget about the fact that they’ve thrown tons of other people under the bus in the past for Elena.

• Didi says:

I’m actually glad that Caroline saved Bonnie. Typically, nobody gives a damn about Bonnie. Everybody is willing to spill a little blood on this show for Elena – even ppl who claim to hate her. Why shouldn’t Caroline save her best friend from being murdered? She didn’t know that it would mean all the other witches would die but she didn’t want her best friend to die. Also she’s locked developmentally in high school as a vampire, 17-18 y.o.s not famous for thinking things through or weighing the consequences of their actions. That seemed in character for Caroline in my mind, maybe it’s just me.

2. S says:

I thought it was a good episode. I loved 70′s Damon :)

3. Jared says:

Elena looked gorgeous tonight

4. vannesa180 says:

i always wanted to see a fight between katherine and elena…cant wait

5. :)lol says:

i love this episode way better than last episode hate haley. i think the knew elena is a good look and klaus and caroline SEX so we can be happy and rebekah should get the cure

6. Dmac says:

Soooo, is there any women on this show that Stefan cares about that Damon hasn’t slept with? Katherine, Caroline, Elena, Lexi and Rebecca…seriously, this is getting old.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Can you blame them? If you were a vamp woman, would you rather be with the dull bunny-eater or his sexy, vibrant brother?

• Cori says:

With the exception of Caroline, Damon has received his little brothers sloppy seconds which is so not sexy, but a little sad because Damon deserves to be a first choice. This episode was a bit of drag and I just want to see this Silas thing play out. To me Katherine will always be head bitch in charge so if Elena somehow kicks her ass, it will make no sense because just because she turned off her emotions Katherine is still older than her.

• Adam says:

didn’t Stefan say he never slept with Lexi, so how could she be sloppy seconds.

• Cori says:

You are right about Lexi, I meant to put it her in my comment, but still this sharing women deal is not working out for them and you would figure they would figure that out by now.

• Dmac says:

Damon doesn’t deserve anything, he needs to find someone who isn’t best friends or slept with his brother. It is his choice to be “sloppy seconds”

• Cori says:

I get what you are saying and that’s what I mean about being a first choice with someone his brother hasn’t slept with or even affiliated with. There are fans who are saying ‘oh Damon loves Elena as a vampire and Stefan doesn’t, they should be together forever.” Which does not make any sense to me because to me it means that Damon is so starved for love that he will take it whatever kind of love he can get, including vampire at the moment bratty Elena. Stefan was just man enough to admit that this Elena isn’t who he fell in love with. Which is hard to understand because both brothers said they fell in love with her because of her caring and compassionate nature that was the total opposite of Katherine personality wise.

• Tamim says:

Damon loved Rose, didn’t he? But of course she had to be killed off because Damon can’t have anyone or anything that could be his alone…

• sls says:

Also wasn’t Damon with Sage? And Andi wasn’t with Stefan. I’m sure Damon has had plenty of women that weren’t with Stefan first.

• unknown! says:

Damon was okay Stefan was okay, but Elena was kool. First off her and Rebeka hate each other and now they are buds, soo kool! I can not wait till next weeks episode cuz it looks great No scratch that it looks awesome! Silas get off the screen cuz we have too many killers/evil villains already!

• Dmac says:

I admit Stefan was getting a bit dull with Elena but now he is so much better with Rebecca and Caroline. Now it is Damon’s turn to be Mr. Blah. Since he has been with Elena he has been neither sexy or vibrant, he has been beyond boring and for whatever reason they don’t work as a couple.

• Sara says:

Dull bunny eater

7. ThatTVGirl says:

This episode was quite dull.

Question: I thought Klaus could not be hurt or killed by the white oak stake because he’s also a wolf. Did I miss something?

• Meredith says:

I think it’s the only thing that can kill him. That’s why everyone thought he was dead at the end of last season after Alaric staked him.

• ThatTVGirl says:

Ok, got it. That’s the one mama witch put the juju on.

• SL says:

Klaus can’t be killed, that’s why he’s afraid someone (Katherine, Tyler … you name it) will find the cure and make him drink it. Once humain again, he can be killed, at last.
          The white oak stake turns him into a mummy, as we’ve seen with the rest of the Originals.

• n says:

silver stake whit white oak dust can’t kill him cos he is wolf, but the stake can becouse it was from the bridge they find was made from white oak tree! they find it last season…

8. Josh says:

Pretty much there aren’t any good guys haha..They all constantly sacrifice innnocent lives to save each one another after they make stupid choices. Word to the wise…avoid these people. They are literally the worst human beings/vampires/witches/werewolves/hybrids/point in a love triangle ever :p

9. sls says:

I thought this episode was great! More flashbacks, Elena taking some control and initiative. A fun pair up, her and Rebekah. Can’t wait for an Elena, Rebekah, Katherine meet-up and smack down! How fun!
    I had hoped for a more in depth, and more emotional, reason for Damon killing Lexi. That was a bit of a let down. And, what..Caroline killed 12 witches…holy crap. But she’s a kid and she didn’t want her best friend to die. Still…Caroline…yikes.
    I love Klaroline so I hope they continue with that pairing.
    Glad we are out of the triangle for a bit and getting to see Elena do her thing. Refreshing!

10. Yawn says:

I was hoping for Bonnie to just die already (don’t think that was the writer’s intent). Hate the Originals (except Elijah) so the sooner they are gone, the better. Also don’t like the partnership between Rebekah and Elena. Too much bitchiness to take.

11. Cathy O. says:

I didn’t care for this episode, it was just okay. The reasoning behind Damon killing Lexi didn’t, make sense, I hope Elena’s lack of humanity doesn’t last too much longer either. Was it necessary for Damon to keep checking in with Stefan about Elena? Why? I am getting bored and glad Elijah’s back next week. I get the impression that either Elena’s love for Damon or Stefan is going to be the only thing that brings her back. Oh and another hiatus coming up, great. Why can’t this show just keep going? It’s frustrating.

12. Faster says:

Loved the episode! The music was great, the flashbacks were great, and most importantly Elena and Rebekah together were great. I’m very excited to see those two take on Katherine. The reason that Damon killed Lexi was very strange, but sort of fits in line with S1 Damon. it was refreshing to see Klaus taken down a notch, and good to see Caroline in a more relevant storyline. Im glad Elena finally acknowledged in a meaningful way that she doesn’t want the cure, I hope we don’t have to sit through any sort of remorse when she inevitably doesn’t get it and when her emotions inevitably get turned back on.

13. ollie says:

I liked the new look for elena it was more grown-up and nina looked great. so exicted about the elena / rebecca pairing. elena/ kat smackdown should be awesome next week. poor bonnie having to hear jeremy dead all over again and woonder without her memories if she will still pair up with silas.

14. ollie says:

I liked the new look for elena it was more grown-up and nina looked great. so exicted about the elena / rebecca pairing. elena/ kat smackdown should be awesome next week. poor bonnie having to hear jeremy dead all over again and wunder without her memories if she will still pair up with silas.

15. ollie says:

oops sorry about double post

16. Elle says:

Klaus’s character is now more interesting and complicated. His line is catching. The 70′s worked well. But Damon’s character becomes plain and a bit of boring because of his eternal foolishness (hope he’ll acquire some intelligence finally or he’s doomed to failure) and sex-ploitation. Lexi’s murder might be explained if Damon didn’t want to show his weaknesses, if his pride needs a mask of violence and indifference.

17. yehey says:

Caroline just became the old Elena.. Unnecessary death”S” to save the person they care about. Those 12 witch was also someone else friend Caroline!..with Klaus being super fast and an original he can’t stop Caroline from killing the witch.. another vampire diaries lame logic.

18. meg says:

In fact there WAS a scene that a old man found Stefan and said it was impossible..

19. ThatTVGirl says:

They brought in a fierce warrior from Spartacus just to kill her off within minutes of her on-screen appareance! That was a dissapointment. Hopefully she will be among the Silas Returnees.

• sls says:

I read somewhere that she was going to be a mentor to Bonnie. I’m guessing this means she is going to be brought back somehow, either by Silas or by Bonnie herself. Now that Silas doesn’t have a hold of Bonnie or at least she seems in control for now, maybe Bonnie is going to kick some butts and bring the witches back. Either that or Silas is going to lower the veil to the other side and she comes back that way.
      My thoughts on the veil lowering…don’t think it’s going to happen. Or maybe it starts to happen and some people start coming back to life in the reverse order that they died, like the witches died recently so they would come back towards the beginning. I would imagine that somehow that process will be cut off before we get to bring back Ric and Jenna and maybe even before Jeremy. Or who knows, maybe Jeremy will be brought back. We will see!

• Chelisa says:

I think maybe Jeremy will be brought back and that’s when Elena’s humanity will return.

• Cathy O. says:

I think Elena’s love for either Stefan or Damon will bring her humanity back and that’s who she will be with next season. I think that because of Lexie saying to Damon that he needed to talk about Katherine in order to bring his own humanity back since he loved her. Also I read that the final three episodes will wrap up the Stefan/Damon/Elena story.

• Cathy O. says:

Reply to Sis, I am hoping wrap up means Elena will choose the endgame. They are keeping the final episodes for the season really hush-hush from what I read. I was also reading that JP said we may have not seen the last of Jeremy’s ring. You remember Elena tossed the ring to Damon before burning down the house. I still have a feeling that something is going to happen to Damon that will bring Elena’s humanity back. I am not positive but I have a gut feeling it will have to do with Damon.

Elena is suppose to pretend to be Katherine this week. I am thinking Elijah is going to think he’s kissing Katherine and it will actually be Elena.

• sls says:

Very interesting! I’m sure we will see the ring again. If Damon turns human then he will need it. And if he turns human that will break the sire bond. I saw you asked about it in another question. I think it’s not currently broken but on hold because it’s tied to Elena’s emotions. I’m guessing if she gets her emotions back the bond will be back in place but I don’t think they have said anything specific about it (other than speculation about it being turned off along with Elena’s emotions).
          As far as her choosing the end-game relationship, frankly at this point I’m kinda over it. I like her with Damon. He is my choice. But really, in the end, I like all the main characters. I’m hoping for happy endings for all of them, no matter who they are with.
          That is what is funny to me about this show, I like so many different match-ups. I could see Stefan with Rebekah or Caroline or someone totally new. I could see Damon with someone totally new, someone who has only had eyes for him. I could see Katherine having a big redemption and ending up with Stefan. And Elena really could end up with anyone at this point. lol I’m looking forward to her rumored hook-up or first base or whatever it is with Elijah.
          What I hope for this show is that the characters keep growing and evolving. I’m loving this new side to Elena but only because I am hoping that when her emotions are turned back on she will have a new depth and wisdom to her, something that inherently changes her and develops her character. As far as end-game relationships, I think i’m reaching a place of not really caring as the show has become more than the triangle for me.

20. Fran says:

At least Caroline felt guilty about killing 12 innocent people. No one blinked when Elena and Jeremy wiped out Kol and an entire line of vampires. I’m just glad we’re getting a break from the insufferable triangle.

21. SL says:

What I learned is that New York in 1977 was THE place to be : Damon AND Spike, both in the same place, at the same time. Hot !!

22. Bender says:

Maybe its me but I kinda wanted to see Elena and rebekah start making out all hopped up on blood

23. ME says:

STEFAN IS GETTING SOOOOO BORING

24. SL says:

and what about Rebekah and her “excuse you” ?

25. MrsCharles says:

Did we find out why Damon killed his friend last episode?

• Cathy O. says:

I think he killed him because he was his friend and didn’t want him to suffer sort of like what he did for Rose.

26. Babybop says:

What I learned in this episode… is that Damon was always incredibly sexy, even in 70′s clothes. I mean, come on. Can you blame Lexi? Ha ha.

27. RobMF says:

Silas needs to bring the dead back, that would be such a fun story. They could do an Angel like finale moment where all they Vamps and wolves they killed appear in a massive group coming for the Salvatore brothers. Plus we could get some good characters back to help.

28. Tamim says:

I am such a bad person because I can’t help but think about all the people that I want back. Lexi, Rose, Alaric, Klaus’s baby brother, Matt’s sister, Grams, Mason, Jeremy, probably a bunch of others that I can’t remember right now. Twelve witches who should probably come back once the final spell was cast? Bonnie didn’t kill the humans, so why not set things “right” by casting a spell? I am a horrible, horrible person…

29. vannesa180 says:

i dont think rebekah will get the cure…i think as always..somehow they make or convince elena to take the cure…but before elena turned off her humanity she wanted that cure more than anyone..she never wanted to be a vampire..so maybe she should get the cure

• Cathy O. says:

I doubt Rebekah gets the cure since she’s going on the Originals. I still think Damon will get it somehow.

30. vannesa180 says:

i know the vampire thing isnt for everyone but damon was right..why would you wanna go back to being a human…weak caring about everyone..but that preveiw of next episode is confusing katherine and elena i almost didnt know who

31. Mikael says:

I think it would be cool if certain dead returned, like Lexi.

32. Cathy O. says:

33. Cathy O. says:

Can someone tell me if the sire bond is really gone for good? I mean when Elena’s humanity returns will the sire bond be returning or not? Confused?!

34. vannesa180 says:

i dont know about the sire bond…i cant wait to see elijah its been a while…and of coarse rebekah will beat katherine shes stronger than all of them

35. Julio says:

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here and can’t wait
    to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m
    not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing site!