The Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter Campaign: Don't You Dare Feel Bad About Chipping In

VeronicaMars_SadSometime between 10:30 am Wednesday — when the Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter campaign was announced — and 11 am, something unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable, happened. People started getting kicked for kicking their money in.

What started off as a celebration of the impassioned TV fan turned into a condemnation of those who, I like to think, have a say in how their own money gets spent.

Hell, even I was left to feel “dirty” about writing a story about it, the outcry, criticisms and finger-wagging blogging came flowing so hard. But in the end, as I donated my $[SPOILER] just minutes before the tote board ticked past the important $2 million mark, I achieved peace with my pledge.

RELATED | 25 Shows You Want Remade or Revived Right Now!

Wouldn’t that money have been better donated to a charity? This was an early refrain from those who questioned this Kickstarter project. First speaking for myself: I donate throughout the year to assorted medical research and animal welfare causes. I also chipped in for the “loftier” Showrunners documentary’s Kickstarter campaign (as well as to the fundraiser for the way-cool Spike keyboard for iPhone). And who’s to say that a meaningful portion of the tens of thousands of Veronica Mars backers don’t also give to worthy causes, to the extent they are able or willing? No one ever went to bed feeling better about themselves because they spent their day assuming the worst about humanity.

But perhaps the most echoed criticism came in the form of: Why are you donating your hard-earned money to get a studio film made? When Warner Bros. will kick back and reap any profit?

The short answer: Because this was a time for the little guy to make a difference.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Meets Fundraising Goal: We Suggest 6 Possible Big-Screen Plots

Television is an impactful medium. Quality and/or ambitious shows get cancelled too quickly, far too often. (People are even mourning Zero Hour, after two episodes.) And 99 percent of the time, once the Nielsen Ratings Gods have spoken, we are left to do nothing, to feel without resource.

But this time… this time, the little guy was heard. Some 30,000 people who will never brush up blurbagainst celebrity, Regular Joes who will not once see their name in an end credits crawl, were afforded — and passionately seized — the opportunity to produce a piece of entertainment. I ask: When does that ever happen?

Movie studio executives greenlight any and whatever projects they like, and in this instance, Veronica Mars: The Motion Picture simply was not going to happen. Yet when put in the hands of the fans (and their friends) who have steadfastly and long-anticipated this unlikelihood, that excited mob rallied to secure their piece of happiness.

A lot of the time, the Internet is used to tear things down. To mock Smash, to snark about red carpet fashions, to hurt. All from the cozy, oft-anonymous comfort of everyone’s couches.

For 10 thrilling hours on Wednesday, though, 30,000 strangers banded together online to create something.

No, the Veronica Mars Kickstarters will never see even a fraction of a back-end point if the movie happens to turn a profit. But they will smile knowing that they were a part of something rather historical. A gone-too-soon series was plucked from the ashes not by a struggling network anxious to plug a scheduling hole, but by the very people who loved and were left to mourn it. Stand on a soap box and question the dissemination of discretionary income all you want, but do not dare rob other people of their self-defined joy.

1. How many episodes of a TV show could be produced for the amount of money the Kickstarter is going to raise?

I’d rather see a four-hour mini series produced for 4 million dollars than a 90 minute movie produced for 2 million, you know what I mean?

• Daisy says:

Then the next time you see a Kickstarter campaign for that, you know exactly where to put your money. Or you could start one of your own. That’s the beautiful thing about freedom.

• dude says:

He could start one but he’d still need to get Rob Thomas, Kristen Bell and company, on board. Working out schedules for all of them seems tricky enough for the movie, I don’t think they could figure out a mini-season. Everyone’s moved on.

• Miffy says:

I think it’s WONDERFUL that you’re all donating money to a movie studio.

Saps.

• Shannon says:

Don’t be so miffed Miffy. To each their own.

• dee123 says:

Don’t tell me how to spend MY money Miffy & i won’t tell you.

• RachelA says:

Yeah, I mean, why even bother spending money on a TV, or cable service, why not just donate it? Heck why spend money on anything fun whatsoever? We should all sit in empty rooms lit by a single 60 watt bulb and do nothing but play with the dust. While I understand the argument that this is ‘exploitative’, what I think it actually is is more like the dawn of a new era where, instead of risky things *always* just landing in the trashbin, they actually are given a real opportunity to see the light of day. Yes, the studios are hedging their bets with fans money. But I’d rather they do that than simply choose not to pursue a project at all. If I’m given a choice between backing something I love to help get it made, or just not having it made at all, I’m choosing option 1 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Do you pay for any premium channels?

• chaotic4life says:

I’d do it weekly, if that means I get to see the things I want instead of hours and hours of total crap!

• Spoony C says:

Here’s the thing–it’s not simply a donation. Every funding level comes with a reward, and starting at $35, you get a copy of the movie in some format or other. I paid $50, and I’ll be getting a DVD, a T-shirt, and digital copies of the film and script.

If WB was funding the movie itself, I’d still pay them money for movie tickets, and probably the DVD. But just because I paid before the fact, and at a bit of a markup from what a DVD/t-shirt combo, doesn’t make me a sap who got duped by a big corporation.

• morgan says:

lol, you made the VM fans mad. i like you already. they really want us to believe that they aren’t fools.

• Ali, Sr. says:

Knock yourself out! With your 4 million that is ;)

• Gonzalo says:

So you’d rather fund a four-hour miniseries (generously saying 45 minutes an episode, actual time clocking in at… 180 minutes) for 4 million dollars, rather than a 90 minute movie for 2 million? I really don’t know what you mean, because the cost per minute is exactly the same.

Most network TV shows DO cost at least a million an episode. And complaining about a 2-million-dollar “movie” as if it’s outrageously expensive? That’s about as low budget as you can get.

But even if I’m missing your point, people aren’t funding a random movie, TV episode or mini-series. They’re funding a movie that had no chance in hell of being made otherwise, based on a TV show that they loved and consider was cancelled too soon.

• I wasn’t complaining about the expense. A four-part miniseries (180 minute total) is MORE story, more material, more time than a 90 minute movie. That’s what interest me, seeing MORE over seeing less.

• Gonzalo says:

Fair enough. I did misunderstand your point about the money, but I’m not sure what you’re advocating? A mini-series in general? In that case, read the last paragraph of my comment above. Or a VM mini-series?

The goal was set at $2 million because that’s the LEAST they could make the movie for (which they already have a story for… and who’s to say doubling the hours to tell that story would inherently make it better?). $4 million (if it reaches that, which I guess is possible) would just allow them to make a much better produced movie, pay salaries to the cast, etc. That seems fair to me.

• A VM mini-series in specific…

• Consider that pay scales for movie vary from pay scales for TV. To “pay more” doesn’t really mean much when you consider those scales, which can mean the difference between paying 100 dollars for a fake pine cone for a TV show and paying a 1000 for a relatively more realistic looking fake pine cone for a movie.

• Gonzalo says:

Fair point, and I appreciate you taking the time to clarify what you were saying initially (it’s quite refreshing).

That said, the ambitions/ideas inside of Rob Thomas’s head (and everyone else involved) are unfortunately the decision-makers behind this project, and fans contributing are just financial backers. To be honest, I’d rather give RT freedom over what to do than have fans make these decisions. It’s also possible (even likely) that the scheduling for the cast would not work out to do a 4-hour production.

Assuming fans raise $4 million, in an ideal world where no one has other projects that need be scheduled around, and as long as creative has enough ideas to run with it? Then yes, I agree that 4 hours of content would be better than 2.

• I should have said “the difference between using a real cow and painting a horse to look like a cow”. More Simpsons-funny.

• Rod says:

Also, the studio (as far as we know) would only greenlight a movie, As has been said already, more money means better production value. Go to the kickstarter page for VM and they tell you that. I would rather they spend 4 mil on a 90 min movie then 4 mil on a 180 min mini series. Quality.

• TaMara says:

Michael, that $2M is really just good faith money. WB wanted to see if the interest was there. That 2M won’t even pay to have Rob T and the casts’ salaries….movie or tv series.

• mia says:

No it won’t pay their salaries, but then the cast + crew who are making this are doing it largely as a labour of love. They are working on the cheap….because they love the show and their fans.

• TaMara says:

Agreed. I was just responding to Michael’s protests about using the money to make a mini-series or tv episodes. It’s unrealistic. Freeing everyone up for a few weeks to shoot a 90 minutes movie is the only practical way to approach this. See: Joss Whedon and Dr. Horrible and Much Ado

• dude says:

It depends on how much they’re making. Some actors are willing to work $100 per day on low-budget indie films as long as they’re passionate about the project. Most of them are in a good enough financial position that the money isn’t important.

• Scott R. says:

Tamara, It’s Been Said That The Money Collected From The Campaign Will Go Towards Everything Except For Promotion/Advertising. No-One Else Is Chipping In Money. Not The Directors, Or Anyone.

• The problem I see in this discussion is that you people saw something negative, an attack, where there is none..

• Gonzalo says:

If you re-read your initial comment with fresh eyes, it had nothing positive to say, and none of the context that you added later, which significantly qualified your opening statement. It’s not surprising it was seen as negative (by me as well as others). Plus, all the replies I’ve read have been pretty respectful, and simply opened up discussion on what we thought you were arguing. That we all misread your statement should tell you something

• rowan77 says:

People can be very reactionary. A $4M Mini-series, however enjoyable, is not realistic. Not because there’s no audience for it, but because you can’t make a 4-hour miniseries for that little. Pilot always cost way more than regular episodes because of all the constructing from scratch. The VM sets are no more, so everything needs to be recreated or newly created. That costs scratch – and in TV they are bound to certain standards of pay depending on the type of show it is, running time, etc. With films there are concessions from unions depending on the budget.

You don’t want this to look like one of those horrible low-budget Sy-Fy channel movies with the crappy writing, editing and effects.

So a new VM mini-series would be great. Hell, a new full-on VM TV series would be outstanding! Both are more costly to produce than a low budget film. I’m very happy with getting a film – and who knows – maybe that will lead to a new series.

• Katie says:

As someone who works in the television industry let me tell you that actually, depending on the budget, not that many. Sorry dude, sometimes a movie is actually the cheaper option.

• MTB says:

I agree 100%. I was going to say I hope they do something no less than 2 hours, but I like your idea better. There are 28 more days for this. How high will it go. They might, and I hope they do, have to rethink the whole thing and how they do it.

• Even better than a 90 minute movie in theaters or a four-part mini series would be a series of annual “reunion” movies like the ones done over the years for shows like Mike Hammer, Matlock, Perry Mason, Hart To Hart, Quincy, etc

2. iMember says:

PREACH!

• Sg. Grant says:

I don’t know that some people recognize just how huge this is. Studios now know fans will get behind shows they love… with their wallets. Remember the people who sent peanuts to save Jericho? Remember the people who donated blood to save Moonlight? It is unfortunate that Kickstarter was not around offer an alternative to help those shows, at least perhaps a movie form. That said, the Community subreddit has over 100,000 members. Most of the Community fans, though they download and watch the episodes online for free, have money. This Kickstarter campaign for Veronica Mars is a game changer for entertainment.

• Nora says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Being a part of something like this just put the entertainment on it’s ear. It’s not only about money, it’s about knowing if there is an audence. If things like Kickstarter were around years ago when they were needed (Firefly, Angel, VM, the list lives on) the fan campaigns that went on could have really made a difference. My favorite was Roswell’s Tabasco and Angels hair gel rally.

I love that us ‘small time fans’ were finally able to put action the phrase “Put your money where your mouth is”.

• Autumn says:

Or eating at Subway to save Chuck? The entertainment industry should take notice, with how accessible shows are now with the Internet, they should realize it’s not entirely about ratings anymore.

Also, Zachary Levi was talking about this on twitter yesterday. I WOULD TOTALLY DONATE FOR A CHUCK MOVIE!!!

• Whispers Magic says:

Some of us sent Mars bars to try to save Veronica….

• Sarah says:

Yes, this, exactly! Tell the sanctimonious to leave the true fans alone- obviously, they have never known what it is to love and identify with something this much.

I love this campaign. I love that they didn’t give up on the fans, and eventually put it in our hands to make it happen. And I love that the fans delivered.

Down with the haters!

• morgan says:

yes, you guys came together to donate millions to a studio and into the pockets of millionaires. good job. you should be proud.

3. Daisy says:

Wait. Someone is judging me on how I spend my money? No. Just no. I’m the only one that gets to decide what’s important to me. What happened yesterday was a beautiful thing and I’m glad and proud I was a part of it.

• Ames says:

Exactly! People who smoke are not berated for spending all that money on cig. and not donating it. People who drink 4$ a day coffee drinks are allowed to give Starbucks there hard earned money. If you love something and give money to help it come to fruition it is your business!

• april-ann says:

That is exactly what I was thinking Ames and Daisy. NO one gets to decide what is important to someone else OR how they should spend their money, or even sit in judgement of what anyone would like to put THEIR money towards. I never watched VM (but now I’m wishing I had), but personally I loved seeing the power of passionate fans. Now if only there could be a campaign to raise funds for a Gilmore Girls movie…

• dsm says:

Please do yourself a favor and watch Veronica Mars. It’s a pretty cool show!

• Lauracw says:

VM was a great show!! I saw somewhere that you can stream it currently. Maybe on the CW site? Definitely worth checking out. I’m proud to have donated my hard earned money for a show I loved dearly and had no closure with when they canceled. Kudos to all who donated and a big boo to those giving us crap for it. Warner Brothers is only paying for promotional stuff. The movie budget itself comes from the kickstarter campaign and no where else.

• nuna says:

Apparently you don’t smoke. All you do is get grief for something that is still LEGAL.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Exactly.And I bet that some of very same people bitching about this with their noses pointed down probably just came back with from the mall with a 60″ TV for the living room and 42″ for the bedroom or from a day at the park where they spent $30 for each jersey alone and $10 bucks on each beer and coke and hundreds on tickets and parking! And who says they have given more to fund medical research, further the progress of science, done things to help endangered wildlife, etc. (maybe some who put money to the Veronica Mars movie actually not only have donated to those things but actually DO those things). Sure, I bet some have, but I bet as many or more have not.

• ben says:

So agree Daisy. I can’t even believe the priggish, self-righteous claptrap has been said by anybody in the first place. When people watch that movie, they will know that it only exists because they helped it to, and that is quite some reward. Bitterness towards movie studios and their profits is not uncommon, but it speaks directly about the people who are bitter, not about the movie studios or the people who help fund this movie.

Lastly, I give a good 15-20% of my income to charity. I’m not poor by any means, but nor am I wealthy – I just make room to budget for charity giving and I also make room to budget for luxuries. That luxury might be a coffee, it might be a box set DVD (and usually is, because I like my TV shows), and it might be giving money to having Veronica Mars made. I’ve budgeted for that luxury and my goodness I’m allowed to spend it on what I want!

• Emily says:

It’s times like these that I really hate the blogosphere/internet era. It’s like a competition, seeing how thoroughly we can tear each other down. The 21st century: if you don’t set out to anonymously ruin someone’s sense of self-worth each day, you’re not living your life correctly.

• shksprsis says:

You made the exact point I was going to. If people pay for cable or buy DVDs or movie tickets, etc., then spending money on the VM kickstarter is no different. You are spending money on ENTERTAINMENT. Plus, it is a special kind of arrogant for people to dictate how others should spend their hard earned money.

• morgan says:

that’s the thing about judgement, people can judge you from here to kingdom come for it. you just seem to care ALOT that people judge you for it.

what’s beautiful is a whole community coming together to donate money for a kid to pay for their transplant. that’s beautiful. what you’re doing isn’t beautiful. it’s just self serving. you are buying something you want to see. like a dvd or an album. don’t kid yourself on what you guys did here.

4. Mika says:

Thanks for addressing this topic Matt. I agree with you 100%.

• Pretty embarrassing to admit in this arena, but i’ve never seen an episode of Veronica Mars, so i didn’t know if i’d like to see a movie or not. consequently, i didn’t contribute. that said, i’m way impressed with the folks who cared enough about something they love enough to have done so. i’ve seen a lot of people in a lot of different arenas criticize people for what they do with their money (how dare (insert celebrity) have such a nice house when so many people are starving!) (how can you spend your money on making a foolish movie when the (insert endangered species) need saving!) the fact is, people everywhere work hard to earn what they have, everybody has something they are passionate about, and nobody has a right to criticize those choices. i, personally, may not support the same causes you do, but i support 110% your passion for your cause, and any time you want me to cheer you on, that’s what i’ll do. why is it anybody’s business (except, maybe, my long-suffering husband) where i want to toss my money after the bills are paid? Congrats to all Veronica Mars fans, and i really, truly hope the movie is a total joy to you all.

5. Matt, thanks so much for this post. It echoes everything I have been feeling since yesterday

6. Sarah says:

Great, great article, Matt!

7. In this moment I love you. Perfectly said.

8. McKenzie says:

Nice column. I’ve heard upsides and downsides to this. I agree with what you said.

I’m just happy I got the chance to participate in the making of a Veronica Mars movie. I don’t care what people say — it’s the chance to be part of something we love!

9. Lisa says:

Thanks for this, Matt. It’s exactly what I’ve been telling people myself. We had the opportunity to support a writer that we care for, and who wasn’t being supported in getting the film made. This is working exactly like an indie film being shopped at Sundance, except that Rob had a pre-commitment from a studio to distribute. He needed the funds to actually make the film, and so this is working exactly like any other film deal. There’s no difference at all. Plus: bonus gifts for all of the funders!

10. Liza180 says:

yes! Thanks for that, Matt!

11. Rebecca says:

Thank you for this. I donated in the early hours with glee. As the day went on I saw all the snark emerge… (particularly the WB profits argument) and began to feel a little weird about it all. Thank you for cutting through the nonsense arguments. So fun to watch the total surge across 2 mil!
    LoVe

12. DeeDee says:

Well done, Matt. I’m still waiting for them to have international shipping so I can give money.

13. L says:

Thank you! It’s my money, not anyone else’s and what I do with it is my business. If I give it to charity or if I buy a new car, it’s my money and it’s my decision. I can find fault with any person’s use of their income because no one is without frivolity or splurges. This happens to be some people’s splurge and it will make them happy. That’s worth whatever they donated.

14. cjeffery7 says:

well said, sir. couldn’t agree more.

15. Liz says:

Amen to that!! Money was given to create a movie that would have never been made otherwise. And that will make us (the fans) happy. That does not mean we don’t help charities, but we can also spend some money for joy & lightness, darn it! :)

16. Reesa H. says:

This is the best reply to that particular line of outcry I’ve seen. Thanks.

17. Dóchas says:

Well said!

18. dilsa says:

wonderful article, Matt. Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make.

19. Erin says:

Bravo! Perfectly said and 100% in agreement.

20. David4 says:

I rather they ditch the high school reunion idea and go back to college.

My only problem is this sets ideas in studio heads that the fans can get all the money for the movie, and then the studio can make all the money.

Let’s be honest though, this movie won’t make any money after everything is totaled.

• Scott R. says:

This Movie Is Going To Make Plenty Of Money. The Directors Have Whatever Is Earned Via The Kicstart Campaign To Spend. It’s Been Said That No More Money Will Be Added, Except Towards Promotion And Advertisement.

21. Jan says:

Great column, Matt! And for the haters — shove off! We want our movie!

22. Gabi says:

Thank you!

23. Adding to this, people didn’t vote with their wallet to see a male dominated action movie with things blowing up with women portrayed as sex objects, they want to see a smart, funny, female led character do her thing on film. THAT is the big takeaway here.

24. I proudly gave money. No one is going to make me feel bad about it. People suck!! Why can’t they just mind their own business. I am happy to know that I was part of the orginial group to give before it hit 2 million heck before it hit 1 million. I love VM and miss it everyday so I am so excited to see this little movie that could.

25. Jenn says:

I totally agree. I actually wasn’t a big fan of Veronica Mars and didn’t donate but I think it is awesome that the fans banded together and raised enough money to get the movie made. There are too many shows on network tv that are never given a chance to catch on and I love that the fans finnaly got the last word. The people behind Veronica Mars have paved the way for more fans to have a say in what they want to see.

26. Steph says:

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that get the beauty of good TV and those that don’t. Don’t like where my money is going? Good thing it is not your money. People have a right to an opinion, yes, I just don’t have to care or agree with it. Thanks for this post, Matt.

27. Amy says:

I refuse to feel guilty. I donate to plenty of good charities. I gave money to the Veronica Mars movie for myself. This was a TV show I really loved and wanted to see more of.

28. Jess says:

Thank you for this! Very well said. I often lament the destructive nature of internet contributors. Thank you for taking a moment to laud those who take a more positive approach to connected participation.

29. Jamie Paton says:

Thanks for this article. I also chipped in last night just before the $2 million goal was reached, and then immediately felt like I needed to have some sort of rationale or response ready for when people questioned my participation. But I shouldn’t feel that way, I’m not rolling in money so I gave what I felt was reasonable because you know what, I want to see more Veronica Mars and if this was my only chance to get more then I didn’t want to let that opportunity go by.

People pay good money for all sorts of experiences, concerts and music festivals cost a pretty penny anymore, and even a movie ticket is over $10 – so really what’s the difference? Just b/c its a different kind of entertainment experience doesn’t mean our passion is somehow incorrectly placed because there is money involved.

30. Dennis says:

Matt, beautiful words! Thank you! I was so proud to be a part of yesterday’s historic moment. It’s rare when the star of a cancelled TV show AND it’s creator support their fans for almost a decade and give us the opportunity to partake in a lively, impactful campaign.

Haters gonna’ hate, and that’s just that. But as fans, as consumers, we have a voice and our voices were heard loud and clear! :)

31. April says:

Thanks for writing this, Matt.

I’d also like to add that we prepay for our own entertainment ALL THE TIME; i.e., Concert tickets, magazine subscriptions, pre-ordered DVDs, etc. This is just an investment into our future entertainment. The naysayers can just be so self-righteous sometimes.

• QueenJ says:

Exactly. The lower tier pledges are basically a pre order. What’s wrong with that? it’s not like the supporters are blindly throwing money around, they are getting value in return as well. The higher tier stuff are all fan perks who wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to attend a premiere or be an extra. I see it as a win-win situation.

32. charissa29 says:

well, that was a bit flowery and over the top, but I donated and I am happy that I did. You are right, it is our money and we get to spend it anyway we like. Plus if this means that at least ONE movie Warner Bros. produces this year isn’t about superheroes or the stupid things that 12 year old boys want but is well acted, well written and brings back characters that I enjoy well damnit I call that a win for everyone.

33. Chris B. says:

I pledged and have zero regret! The video on the Kickstarter page was worth it alone.

34. You’re absolutely right Matt. I have not problem with people spending their money however they want. Better spend it creating something than on anything else.

My issue with charity though is not that people are donating their money to this instead of charity. It’s that world causes and fundraisers don’t generate nearly as much response from people. I just wish that people would care as much about fixing real world problems as they do about TV shows.

35. Sara says:

Thank you for this article. As a backer, and a die-hard VM fan, I was unaware of the criticism, however I probably should have expected it. I give to charity, but even if I didn’t, who are these people to tell me what to do with my money? I support charities 100% and I think if people can, they should donate – but I’m not going to condemn those who don’t. Just like these people shouldn’t condemn us for wanting to see this movie made. It’s been a long time coming, and frankly, I find Veronica Mars is what made it seem okay for women to be nerdy, or portrayed as nerdy and quirky. This show was fantastic and I think it helped a lot of females find their inner-strength. Why SHOULDN’T there be a movie about that? Goodness.

36. Didi says:

AWESOME article! made want to give!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Matt

37. John says:

Certainly far better than endlessly posting “WHY can’t they just bring back Magnum P.I.?” on various web forums….

38. Jan1 says:

If nothing else, a whole bunch of people who probably weren’t even aware of Kickstarter now know about it. They may be willing to donate to less high profile projects in the future.

I never watched Veronica Mars but am now catching up online. So, yay fans! You done good. :-)

39. Mars says:

Excellent points. Plus I assume a lot people will work on this film. In this economy, isn’t that a good thing?

40. I also proudly gave money and honestly didn’t even think about the whole WB profiting – what’s the difference between me spending money on this or buying a sweater or a purse where some else profits. I profit becasue I get to see some of my favorite charactors back together again. People can suck it.

41. TaMara says:

So, instead of going to a movie, buying a ticket, popcorn and soda, I should donate that money to charity? Because I see a donation to a kickstart project like this as the same thing. You’re paying to see a Veronica Mars movie. Whether you buy a ticket, dvd set or stream entertainment, the money goes to a big studio. Why not have some say in the project?

The critics are just whiny-assed attention seeking whores who know “negative’ gets more hits than a positive perspective gets any day. Good article Matt. Thanks for wading into the fracas.

42. Lexi says:

Thank you SO much for this article! I saw so much sanctimonious head shaking and the whole attitude that VM fans “Had their world views out of whack.” I’m reposting this on all my blogs and my Twitter. And here’s another thought: how many of these people who complained have spent money on things they enjoy when it “should have” gone to charity? Take a look in a mirror before you judge others, I say.

• Dave says:

Exactly what I was thinking. It’s entertainment, people spend money on it, get over it. Those who are saying otherwise better not be spending a cent on things they like because then they are being hypocrites, even a chocolate bar is an unnecessary expense when there are charities asking for money.. But even by their very nature they are being hypocrites, because their blog achieves nothing for the general public other than entertainment or something for other people to read. People like that annoy me, because they would give 5 cents to a beggar and shout at the world about charity, while those who actually genuinely do give every spare cent they have to good causes are far too humble to preach to others.
      Personally I think this project is exciting for another reason because it gives studios a wake-up call that people are not just happy to be spoon-fed whatever executives decide is good for us, but they are willing to pay it forward for something they actually want to watch or see made. I hope more movies in the future are made like this. Maybe we’d see a lot more variety in what comes out and less cookie-cutter, sausage-factory entertainment.

43. Alia says:

*stands and applauds*

Amen, Matt!

Let’s be clear: My charitable donations are already written in stone in my budget. I certainly wasn’t robbing African orphans to fund a movie. The 35 bucks I kicked in for my dear Veronica? Would have otherwise been spent on shopping. This is a *much* better use for it, don’t you think? And besides, art — good art — is *always* a worthy cause.

Plus, I’m not exactly giving it away. In return, I get a script, a t-shirt, and a dream come true. That’s more than my money’s worth.

44. Patrick says:

I never watched even one episode of Veronica Mars, but I was following this all yesterday and I thought it was awesome. I almost even donated myself even though I know nothing about it except it brought us Kristen Bell. People can spend their money on anything they want and it’s not for other people to question or judge. If this makes these people happy whether from a reward they get for donating a certain amount or just the knowledge that they helped make this happen, I think it’s great. Well done Kristen, Rob and Michael (for helping to spread the word)!

45. Emgee says:

Let me just say this: I’ve never watched VM. I’m sort of interested to go back and watch it based on what is clearly a very loyal and dedicated fanbase.
    As for donating money to see that the movie gets made?
    MWW is right. Don’t anyone dare feel bad. If such an offer were made to help make a “24” movie, I’d be all up on it. Don’t think of it as having “donated” money to get it made. Think of it as having paid just a little extra for a ticket for a movie that you really want to see.

46. ABBY says:

As for the “Wouldn’t that money have been better donated to a charity?” question, how many people out there can claim the donate all the extra money they make to charity? Who’s never bought a DVD, a movie ticket, a pair of shoes (that they don’t need), a book, a magazine, etc, etc? If you can honestly say this is you my hats off to you but most of us can not and really wouldn’t all the money we spend on such things better off donated to charity? The answer to that is yes however instead we spend our money on items that will give us a little joy and enjoyment and a VM movie will do just that for me.
    I also don’t like all these posts about how KB and RT should pay because they have more money than average folk, for one they needed to prove their was public interest to WB and two why should they? The fans want this movie why should the actress or writer (both of which have clearly agreed to work on this project for peanuts) pay for it for us?
    Personally I chipped in $35 and don’t even get the rewards as I’m outside the US but for me that’s $35 well spent if I get to visit Neptune one more time.

47. nikki says:

Great article. The Veronica Mars fans who donated, thank you. I can’t wait for the movie.

48. gdv says:

People spend their money on “stupid” stuff every day: overpriced handbags and shoes, DVDs, iPads, $7 coffees, etc. I’m a minimalist (for the most part), but I didn’t feel bad at all about donating to this project. I’m super excited about this movie happening!