Ratings: Smash Ticks Up, Golden Boy Steady

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Golden Boy, SmashFor the first time since its Season 2 premiere, NBC’s Smash is looking at week-to-week gains.

With a total audience of 2.9 million viewers and a 0.9 rating, the struggling musical drama added a handful of viewers versus last Tuesday and ticked up a tenth in the demo — and this time with a New Normal rerun for a lead-in.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

CBS’ Golden Boy (with 8.53 mil and a 1.6) was steady in the demo week-to-week if down a bit in total audience, and up sharply from its one-time Friday outing. (For those inclined to wonder, Friday-bound Vegas‘ most recent Tuesday tally was 9.7 mil/1.5.)

The two-hour Season 11 premiere of Fox’s Hell’s Kitchen averaged 5.4 mil and a 2.2, steady-ish in audience but down two tenths from the show’s previous opener.

RELATED | Smash Recap: A Tale of Three Musicals

Over on ABC, Celebrity Wife Swap (5 mil/1.6) rose 20 percent and a tenth, The Taste (3.4 mil/1.1) dipped a tenth and Body of Proof (6.4 mil/1.2) slipped 3 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Lying Game Finale Recap: A Killer Reveal, a Bittersweet Twin Swap… and a Shocking Death?

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (18)

• Golden Boy is really growing on me. I didn’t like the pilot much but the character development is becoming very interesting. Since we’ve seen the future I’m curious to see how it all comes together.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I agree. This has become one of my favorite TV shows. It has an earthy realism and yet we have this historical perspective of what’s to come.

Comment by taliesin – March 13, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m in total agreement with both of you!! I LOVE this show – I really think Chi McBride and Theo are great together!! I really am enjoying their on-screen chemistry. Sure hope CBS keeps it around longer than what they typically do. It takes time for people to catch on to these new series.

Comment by Kathleen Morris Wall – March 13, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree with all of you! However I did love the pilot and have been hooked since! I hope this show is on for years to come!
          I am happy about Smash too but after next week Splash is replacing it so I want to know when Smash will return..does anyone know?

Comment by sarah – March 13, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • how is Splash replacing Smash, when Splash is on ABC and Smash is on NBC??

Comment by Erik Galston – March 13, 2013 01:29 PM PDT
        • I completely agree! chi and Theo have awesome chemistry. I’m really hoping they don’t cancel it. I really like this show.

Comment by casey – March 26, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved the episode last week where Commissioner Clark met Detective Arroyo’s son as a rookie. I’m dying to know where future Det. Arroyo is.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is growing on me as well. I want to know how he gets to be commissioner in 7 years.

Comment by MJ – March 13, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • with a limp :-) I just hope we get to find out.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 13, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was stupid to put body of proof back in the same time slot were it struggled last season , gotta love the geniuses at the programming dept at Abc

Comment by Joe – March 13, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash needs to be back behind the Voice. With a more musically themed lead in, I think it will do much better. It did well behind the Voice last season and see no reason it wouldn’t this year. The story line is a little muddled right now, but given the right scenario it seems like it should be able to pull last year’s numbers.

Comment by Sk – March 13, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Golden Boy, I didn’t think that I would, but it’s growing on me. I’m a huge fan of Kevin Alejandro and Theo James is a strong lead and I like the framing of the stories (the only reason I knew he was British was bc of Downton, his accent is good!). I’m glad it’s getting the chance to build an audience on Tuesday nights.

Comment by Maggie – March 13, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • smash is probably the biggest bungles nbc has had in the last several years. why the hell would you hold it off till mid-season and not have it premiere the same night as the voice? that way, the numbers would have been (perhaps unjustly) inflated, but at least you could have it breeze on through to a third season, giving the new writing staff some time to find their footing.

Comment by hmm – March 13, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No wonder we get shafted by ABC. Wife Swap up 20%. How godawful for fans of decent TV. And we have to put up with DWTS next week. This is why ABC impatient with shows. They can put this crap on that I suppose is cheaper to make. Heck GMA has a reality show week this week. Poor GeorgeS!!

Comment by Boiler – March 13, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Smash was nothing short of an absolute mess last year, but this season it is getting really, really good. I hate seeing it finally begin to find its way only to have no one watch. There is a whole lot of incredible talent on that show, some great music, and I just flat out enjoy it. I’ll be sad to see it go. Is it too much to hope that NBC finds a place for it on another NBC Universal network? (Yeah, it is, I know.)

Comment by CJ – March 13, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMASH was really good last night. Hope it keeps getting more viewers. With the direction it’s going, the 3rd season should be the best.

Comment by Bobby Milford – March 13, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • INCREDIBLE SHOW!! I’m with the writer here…. Everything from chemistry to back-ground to the music keeps me on the edge of my seat and can’t wait till next week! I wish they would do a 2 hour special with this show…. Love pretty much everything about it… They could have had a more colorful Lt…. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing…. A lil worried about them throwing in the fact that he’s sleeping with his Only “IN” to the mayors office’s wife, but hey…. Guess u gotta make it juicy for all those ‘wonderland-ers’ out there…. Anyways, my main worry is that something like 666 park avenue or Chaos or some of these Great (or just good like 666) shows get yanked; then we never get to see the end, or how he got there, or whatever… Because this show could play out basically as long as they want to drag out “7 years”, and I hope they do it fairly quick before the ratings reapers come and smash another Great show before we know th whole story….. Again, good pick Mitovich, and well done to the Golden Boy team!

Comment by Ryan – April 17, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love Golden Boy. Love the music. Love the premise. Love the characterizations. The grandmother in me wants to give Theo James and Chi McBride great big hugs.

Comment by gail – April 18, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post