Dallas Post Mortem: Weigh In on J.R.'s Funeral and Get Scoop on the Shocking [Spoiler] Reveal

Dallas Season 2 Spoilers Pam Is AliveWarning: The following contains major spoilers from this week’s Dallas.

This week on TNT’s Dallas, the late and very great J.R. Ewing was paid his final respects, as many tears flowed. But it was what happened in the closing minutes that roused longtime fans from their somber mood and raised a big ol’ question:

Is Pamela Barnes Ewing really alive?!

RELATED | How Dallas Planned a Truly Emotional Funeral (After Using FX Magic to Extend J.R.’s Life)

The hour opened in Mexico, where J.R.’s body, felled by bullets, had inexplicably been found in a hotel room. And though the local police were quick to pass it off as a random crime, nothing added up for Bobby, John Ross et al. Why would J.R. claim he was in Abu Dhabi? And if he was in Mexico, what would possibly bring him to a seedy flophouse? (And don’t tell us it was some comely local girl!)

While that shred of a murder mystery simmered, time was made for J.R. to be remembered by friends and family, from near and far, including several returning cast members from the original CBS series. At the funeral itself, moving eulogies were shared, but perhaps none more gut-punching that those delivered by Sue Ellen, who declared J.R. the love of her life, and his brother Bobby.

In fact, so devastated by the loss was Sue Ellen that prior to the service, she just barely — and then totally — tumbled off the wagon, sloshing back J.R.’s fine bourbon.

RELATED | Dallas Exclusive: ‘Governor’ Steven Weber Will Aim to Take Down [Spoiler]

Just as J.R. was laid to rest, Bobby, John Ross and Christopher were paid a visit by his go-to snoop. Bum came bearing a box full of intel, pieces of what J.R. was calling his “masterpiece.” And first among them was a file showing that J.R. was in Mexico following the trail of… Christopher’s mother and Bobby’s ex, Pam.

Is Pam alive in the TNT series’ continuity? Exec producer Cynthia Cidre concedes that “the mythology is torn” when it comes to the character created by Victoria Principal.

“The last time she was seen, which I believe is Episode 282 of Dallas 1.0, she had hit an oil tanker and the car exploded, and she was burnt,” Cidre recalls. “The last time Bobby saw her she was wrapped head-to-toe in bandages, and then she ran away. Several months later, there was one scene where she asked Cliff, her brother, to come see her in a hotel room, and she was with a plastic surgeon who had made her presentable. Cliff says, ‘Don’t you want to come back to Dallas?’ She said, ‘No, I don’t.”

What that “new” Pam — played the one time only by Margaret Michaels — was hiding was that she only had months to live, and as such didn’t wish her loved ones to “lose her again.”

Bringing back Pam with a new face would certainly rock the worlds of both Christopher and Bobby and solve the issue of Victoria Principal’s  steadfast refusal to reprise the role. In a statement issued this month to our sister site Deadline, the actress said:

Since the inception of Dallas, the creators and fans around the world have referred to Bobby and Pam as the Romeo and Juliet of Dallas. I could not agree more. And since the original author of this scenario, William Shakespeare, felt compelled to make theirs a tragic love story, of epic and unforgettable deathly loss, I think I shall respect that very successful example and leave the legacy of Bobby and Pam’s tragic love story undisturbed and intact. When I filmed Pam’s fatal car accident, for me that was the punctuation mark on my role as Pam. I cannot be held responsible for any choices made by producers, once I left Dallas, but I do take responsibility for my decision, not to risk tarnishing Bobby and Pam’s love story with a desperate reappearance.

Asked by TVLine about that proclamation, Cidre shrugs, “Well, we’re not in control of Victoria Principal’s statements, and let’s just say that we have had a plan for this character from the beginning, actually before Larry [Hagman]‘s passing.

“We were always going to have Christopher go looking for his mother,” the EP continued, “and I can’t reveal to you how it turns out, but I think it’s pretty clever!”

Would you welcome Pam back, with a new face? If so, any casting suggestions?

1. Kendra says:

I would really like Victoria Principal to return to the role of Pamela but if the role was recast I think I would like it filled by Anne Archer or Barbara Hershey.

2. Drizz says:

I’m fine with Pam being recast. She already had been for one episode on the old show, so the precedent has been set- Pam no longer has VP’s face. I’m thinking the real reason Victoria doesn’t want to be on the new Dallas is because her last round of plastic surgeries really made a mess of her face. She is divorcing her plastic surgeon hubby, my guess is partly due to disfiguring her. Google her- her face has changed a bunch in the last year or two, she still had her beautiful looks until very recently. She still makes a lot of money with her makeup line- (with old pictures on her website!) it’s her prime source of income. She doesn’t want to be seen publicly past the bare minimum now- if people see what has been done to her face, it’s not going to be a good advertisement for her beauty line. Having plastic surgery isn’t showing a lot of faith in her product. She has kept her beautiful looks all these years- up until the recent surgery. The minute I saw her face, I knew she would never come back to TV, to increased exposure. She no longer has her beautiful looks, it’s a liability. I know some people will start screaming “oh yes she does how dare you!!!”, but the honest people know her looks are a mess compared to her former glory.
    Most of the suggestions on here for recasting her are terrible, though, I hope the show’s producers will do better. It’s funny, the suggestions seem to be too young or too old.

• Alexis Kelly says:

I like Sela Ward she is so classy. I thought Sue Ellen looks bad at first but she looks better to me now. We all age have to get use to that . Even Jane Fonda shows age and she admits to some plastic surgery but she still looks good for her age which is all you could hope for. Who is the mother of Rebecca-Pam cliffs wife or who did he remarry?

• L says:

I saw some recent pictures of Victoria Principal – she definitely doesn’t look bad for her age. Of course she isn’t as beautiful as she once was as a young woman. But ,I don’t think she doesn’t want to return on account of being afraid to be judged for her looks (which, there’s nothing wrong with). No, I believe it’s because she’s retired from acting and has moved on. She put the Dallas chapter in her life behind her. She also has a very successful business of her own. I liked Pam and Principal’s portrayal of her but it’s time to move on. Let the poor woman live her life in peace and respect her decision.

3. Alexis Kelly says:

Who is this Emma 18 she sure knows a lot to be that crazy old woman’s Grandaughter and she knows John Ross already way to friendly? And she can hold her liquor! Christopher and Pam-Rebecca babies? She knew going in they were both Barnes cliff even said so? JR dying might sink this Dallas cliff looks pretty old also ? He may die too Maybe Emma will get Pregnant with John Rosses baby he’s not very if at all carefull that would tie Anne and Harris ( if he is really Emma) together. Another generation of Rivals to carry on!

4. Alexis Kelly says:

Oops if she is really Emma? And Elena just gos back and forth she’s a mess she needs t o get pregnant to! A whole new bunch of stories? How did Christopher come to be Bobby’s?

5. Alexis says:

I don’t like it o the air and then months go by 5 at least and then it comes back on they all are doing it now I loose track Grimm does that I don’t think it’s a good Idea? It’s hard to go back to might not even go back big risk.

6. Miranda says:

My guess is his masterpiece is to dismantle Cliff once and for all. In order to do so, JR locating Pam would be an asset to the Ewings. Pam would favor her son more so than her brother especially after Cliff tricked Christopher into marrying his daughter. This treatment would not sit well with Pam. Another clue… Who is one person Bobby would protect? Pam! Also there is one very fierce, rich and powerful enemy of the Ewings not being mentioned… Katherine Wentworth (Pam’s sister, in love with Bobby and hated JR). Perhaps JR discovered she did away with Pam? Katherine was also very evil.

• Mark says:

Yes!! Bring back crazy Katherine Wentworth!! They never wrapped up her storyline, last we saw her she was in Pam’s hospital room after the car wreck. I would love it if Katherine was the one who offed J.R.!! She already killed Bobby once (I know it was a dream) now she can take care of the other brother!! Bring her back, not to mention the actress who played her Morgan Brittany is still gorgeous! Have her kill Pam too!!

7. Tom L says:

From someone who has been to South Fork, and seen the inside and outside of that house, they have turned the set of SF into a Condo… the bedrooms look like motel rooms, and a pottery barn/ikea show room. LIke the show, was disappointed in my favorite part of the show… SF.

8. Daryl Pshyk says:

Kristin killed JR. Her twin sister was the one found dead in the Ewing pool years ago.

9. I WANT VICTORIA PRINCIPAL TO COME BACK AS PAM HA THIS IS TV YOU CAN DIED AND COME BACK .

10. Pat says:

You cannot replace Pam with any other than Victoria Principal. She and Bobby had chemistry and I implore Victoria to please come back. I never missed any episode of the original Dallas. No one can take her place.

11. Marnie says:

Seriously last night’s episode, March 18th was a disappointment… JR”s will was read, none of his other children were mentioned. He gave his mineral rights away but what about his fortune… might not be as rich as the original Dallas but he must still have some money to give. The will should of mentioned his other 2 kids. It would be funny if Cally had a girl and she showed up and was just like her father….lol. They need to pay attention to the history of the show in some aspects not to loose the people that have watched because of the history.

12. I was just wondering what anybody thinks would be good names for Christopher and Pamela babies (If they survived the blast). It thought boys would be interesting to name them Jock and Digger. If anyone has their own opinion please comment

13. Chris says:

I can not imagine this show being much better than it is. Dallas was the most shocking show I was allowed to watch as a child (born 1970)….and it is not disappointing me at all. I think that the speculation about who KILLED JR is awesome. I think we will see something out of Pam…..whoever Pam is played by. Did Rylan “kill” his mother?? That would be a huge twist…..the explosion is sure to be bad….but none of the critical cast died……I am sure…..I LOVE THIS SHOW and hope TNT considers that A LOT of us DVR it…..I do…..I do not watch it until the next day.

14. Adam says:

Lets not all forget that Victoria Principal was a BAD ACTRESS who has disowned her role since Dallas since the second she left in 1987. She is ungrateful and as someone wrote above ‘Get over it, this is just a TV show – it’s not like you are refusing to return to the peace table in the middle east”. Screw her. Recast is the only option because the character is TOO pivotal to the show and the way her character was handled in the 2nd half of the original series was just plain DUMB. Recast, bring her back for closure (or more if it is right) and really throw a spanner into the mix. My bet is this. J.R. was the one who (somehow) resulted in Pam never coming back to Dallas. For whatever reason he blackmailed or posioned or something such that she would never return, BUT, she possibly didn’t know it was him. Now that he needed her (as part owner of Barnes Global) he goes to find her and reveals that indeed, he is the reason she was forced out of Dallas. When she finds this out (or whatever) she kills him. Period. Now that is CLASSIC Dallas, is a absolutely worthy end to J.R. and returns the series to the day 1 roots of J.R. v. Pam. Now that would get headlines and rock the show back to its core. Thoughts?

• I think that is a great plot twist. And Victoria Principal left the show in 1987. They could get a look a like actress and spin that she had that plastic surgery and she is now 26 years older, Pam could look a lot different then Victoria Principal by now. Oh and the new Dallas never said that JR;s other kids or Gary’s kids didn’t exist they just haven’t mention their existence yet, like how Valene wasn’t mention until Gary returned.

15. renee says:

Lynda Carter as Pamela Barnes Ewing would be the way to go….She has the flair ,style,and hidden strengths to pull it off…. Now that Cliff has put their children in harms way is the perfect. time to have her come in as an Angry Lioness to protect her child ..

16. Brandon Childers says:

Hey everybody, Remember when Drew got in trouble and Elena didn’t want her mom to find out, and Chris said how are you going to keep it from her and you know what Elena said, She is in Mexico visiting family where was JR shot Mexico, and Elena’s mom doesn’t like JR. That is who I think did it anyone else.

17. Who is the woman that says “I know what you did, Christopher” in the Promo for the next episode of Dallas (March 25th 2013)

18. Margaret Michaels played plastic surgery Pam, why not have her play Pam in the new Dallas, since she was the last person to play Pam Ewing she should be the one to play the role in the new Dallas, especially if Victoria Principal is not wanting to do it

19. greek mustang says:

I think they should recast using Lauren Manslow. She is Kate Dimeria. She is old enough, very beautiful and can be evil

20. Phyllis says:

Don’t want Victoria Principal back! After the way she left, she shouldn’t even be considered to return! I really don’t like Ann either! It’s really too bad that April is dead. She would have been perfect! There was a chemistry there that does not exist between Bobby & Ann.

21. E. Williams says:

I loved the episode of JR’s death. It was very tastefully done but I expected more of the regulars to return. Why wasn’t Valene there, Sherri J. Wilson, Barbara Eden, etc. I cried thru the whole episode not only for JR but also for Larry Hagman. What a hell of an actor. I would love to see Jaclyn Smith recreate the role of Pam. She is beautiful and is truly from the south. She would be fantastic.

22. john o says:

Kristen shepard, christophers natural mom was killed in the southfork pool, so jr was looking for pam for sure!

23. Alexis says:

What about the rigg blowing up? Does anyone care what happened that Cliff he doesn’t even care about his own Daughter andGrand babies. Who raised Pam he sure didn’t as I say I dislike selfish cowards.

24. Given how Bobby reacts to even the mention of Pam’s name . . . I don’t remember a divorce on the original series, just the “almost” killing of Pam to get VP out of the cast . . .I can imagine the now-reunited-at-Southfork family sitting down to dinner when the doorbell rings. The doorbell??? say all the Ewings. John Ross goes to the door and returns to the dining room, a female figure in the dark behind him. “Uncle Bobby,” he says, “the b—- is back.”
    [Elton John had a big hit with that "b" word. It isn't a network level curse ... especially with the language in tonight's (4/1) episode]]

25. Gerry says:

I am leaning toward Katerine Wentworth being behind the killing. She was in love with Bobby. She hated Pam because she had everything she didn’t, including Bobby. Because the last time we saw her was after the explosion at Pam’s bedside still ranting about how much Pam had. Then they both disappeared. I think Katherine has been impersonating Pam overseas and spending her money and basically becoming Pam. I think Pam is not alive. I think JR found out and she killed him. She certainly would have no problem killing anyone.

26. Sharon says:

Have just seen a up to date pic of Margaret Michaels and she could easily play the role of Pam Ewing if Victoria Principal wont come back, I think the show needs to bring someone back to play Pam.

27. Thor says:

It’s a soapie for goodness sake ! Apparently many here have adopted it as “real life.” That’s what Bravo is for…that’s “reality TV”… ROFL

28. Dee says:

Apologies for swinging off subject in a way…but what is point of ‘reprising’ old characters when it leaves you hanging anyway…ie, why did Cally Harper Ewing (Cathy Podewell) appear at JRs wake, and yet NO MENTION WHATSOEVER OF THEIR SON!!!!! Now THERE’S a storyline!!!!!

29. I think this is among the most important information
    for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some
    general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles
    is really great : D. Good job, cheers