Walking Dead @ PaleyFest: Scoop on Andrea's 'Vagina Warfare,' Rick Vs. Carl, Daryl/Carol & More

Get More: PaleyFest, Scoop

The Walking Dead Season 3 SpoilersThe Walking Dead executive producer Robert Kirkman and several cast members took the stage at PaleyFest 2013 on Friday to sneak-peek upcoming scenes, ponder the personality clashes that have arisen among the survivors in Season 3 and preview Rick’s dire need to step up and be a great leader again.

The Dead panel livened up straight away with fresh footage from this Sunday’s episode, in which Rick finally softens toward Michonne a bit (though he tells Carl it’s just conditional). The trio also encounters a crazy, booby-trap-filled new town.

The episode also features the aftermath of Carl calling out his father on his “new,” un-leaderlike mindset. “[Carl] needs a firm hand,” Andrew Lincoln said with a laugh. “He has a point, though. Rick has been making some terrible calls [and] after that scene it puts him into a different gear. Something happens this week that really holds a mirror up to Rick and he realizes he’s got to step up.’

Addressing the Grimes boy’s ‘tude, Kirkman said, “Carl really is one of my fave aspects in the comic and the show… Where we’re going to go with this kid are some pretty exciting places.” This season, he stressed,  is “just the beginning” of Carl’s journey.

Other topics touched on during the PaleyFest Q&A:

FOLLOW THE LEADER…? | “To push one of the central characters off the cliff’s edge is really bold,” Lincoln said of Rick’s deteriorating sanity. ” Even if it means conjuring ghosts? “That’s quite a common thing,” Lincoln noted. “His brain’s short circuiting [from] guilt.”

IS THERE GOOD IN THE GOVERNOR? | “The Governor and Rick are both facing the same problems,” said EP David Alpert. “For the Governor, there is something in him that’s good…. But the darkness has allowed him to grow and prosper.”

DOES THE GOV’ STILL GET ANDREA’S VOTE? | “She did [have feelings for him] until she went back to the prison,” said Laurie Holden. But “at this point, [she thinks he's] a bad man. When she goes back and sleeps with him, that’s not because she thinks he’s handsome,” she explained with a laugh. Holden notes that Andrea “thought she could follow through” with what moderator and Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick has coined “Carol’s vagina warfare plan.”

RELATED | Scoop on The Walking Dead in Matt’s Inside Line

A NEW HITCH | Danai Gurira said a scene airing this Sunday where Michonne and Rick coldly (yet understandably) blow off a hitchhiker is “a brilliant moment because it’s so real and so brutal… It’s like a war zone, so you can’t trust people easily.” Observed Lincoln, “You could squeeze all those [hitchhiker] scenes together and it’s a perfect short film for their mental state.”

THE FEMALE FEUD | “Here’s the deal: Andrea and Michonne are two adult women who wanted different things,” Holden said of the BFFs’ estrangement. “Andrea didn’t choose a guy over her; she chose a life and community.” Nonetheless, Gurira chimed in, “In Michonne’s mind, it’s got a lot to do with loyalty.”

RELATED | It’s Official: Scott M. Gimple Named New Walking Dead Showrunner, Replacing Glen Mazzara

CAN MERLE BE TRUSTED? | And no, it’s not a rhetorical question. “[Daryl] knows there’s good in his brother — but then again he’s tried to kill half the people on this stage,” Norman Reedus said. “But I think he hopes.”

ISN’T IT ROMANTIC? | Surveying the never-easy Glenn/Maggie relationship, Steven Yeun said, “He’s young and that love is young. And a love like that is hard to keep down. So he’s coming at this [situation] very selfishly and I think that’s very appropriate for what a 20something would do.” Meanwhile, on the Daryl/Carol front, Reedus opined, “I like these two damaged people gravitating toward each other. If it happens, it might happen. I don’t want to make the first move!”

WATCH THE FULL WALKING DEAD PALEYFEST PANEL HERE:

Comments (28)

• I really like the new Carl. After last season he’s one of my favorites characters.

Comment by Omar – March 1, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally Agree..

I couldn’t care less about him before. He was just the little kid who couldn’t stay inside but now I look forward to him and Daryl the most.

Can’t say I liked reading spoilers in this though.

Comment by NickC – March 2, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s definitely the BEST character growth on TV! Carol from season 2 is not the same woman we met in season 3 neither are Glenn, Hershel or Carl. That’s what makes it so engaging: we actually see how they get to be who they are now. And that includes the Daryl and Carol state of affairs.,

Comment by Riddle – March 3, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrea is an insufferable character. I know the TV show doesn’t have to be exactly like the comics (and honestly, I don’t think adaptations should be 100% the same). But man oh man, did they drop the ball with Andrea. Literally, she’s like the coolest character in the comics next to Michonne. I really can’t believe how bad she is in the TV version.

Comment by Courteous Vampire – March 1, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I love Andrea in the comics and she had so much potential on the show. Its sad. And the actress does a great job with the horrible stuff she’s given.
      But this show does all their female characters pretty abysmally.

Comment by mia – March 2, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw the show first and loved andrea from day one, read the comics since and tho.she a much better character in them I still love the tv character! The actress is brilliant and her character, like most real people, is extremely flawed, Totally disagree that the show portrays women badly, all the characters are depicted through their good and bad qualities making it one of the most realistic shows in that respect(aside from the zombies of course)

Comment by Richie – March 2, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with everything you said. I think the show is pretty realistic. Don’t see anything wrong with the female characters.

Comment by Patricia – March 2, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The writing of the female characters has gotten considerably better. I thought their season one portrayals were just awful; reinforced binary and judgement from Lori about how to be a good woman in this world their in. It was incredibly condecending. But its gotten much much better

Comment by mia – March 2, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hitchhiker storyline? I don’t remember that.

Comment by Teag – March 1, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s because you haven’t seen it yet! That scene is one of the many previews Paleyfest attendees saw at the panel.

Comment by martina – March 2, 2013 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Carol and Daryl. I hope something eventually happens there.

Comment by Aleksa – March 2, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve got to agree with Reedus though: I hope Carol makes the first move.

Comment by Riddle – March 3, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As walter bishop would say, she has a “vagenda”

Comment by Jay – March 2, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Double geek word score for working in a Bishop vagenda reference. Well done, good sir and/or madame.

Comment by Dan – March 2, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carol + Daryl are my favourite characters on the show! I love their relationship whether they go there or not. I love their platonic love or their romance.

Comment by mia – March 2, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they like each other but I think carol likes Daryl more then Daryl likes carol and even though they could make a nice couple I don’t think it will go that was

Comment by Emij cool kat – April 16, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Many of us have already speculated that we will be seeing Morgan in tomorrow’s episode. So maybe the thing that makes Rick realize he has to step up is that Duane has died. Thus, to Rick needs to step up so he doesn’t lose his own son.

Comment by Potato strong – March 2, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure if u know something we don’t, but that is a very good thought. Would be a good way to bring Morgan back, or at least remind the audience of him.

Comment by Kurt – March 2, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure if I know anything you don’t, but I explained the reasoning behind my speculation on blog (linked in my name.) I could be dead (see what I did there?) wrong.

Comment by Potato strong – March 2, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morgan is comeing back he lost it more then rick. He didnt shot his wife and she kill there son.

Comment by Amy – March 2, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some people don’t read spoilers, at least day spoiler alert.

Comment by Mike – March 2, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Amy or Sophia, or both back on show somehow. Or make Alice character but just like one from comic. :) Please :)

Comment by Bring more people to WD – March 3, 2013 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lori came back in a way, so did Amy. I don’t see why not

Comment by Riddle – March 3, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They can bring them back and andrea too as zombie or alive. Yes they are death but can it be that somehow they have been cured and come back to life but dont remember anything or something like that ??

Comment by Bring more people to TWD – October 13, 2013 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope they bring back Morgan he’s a great actor.

Comment by N mehden – March 3, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God wtf do you guys see on Carol/Daryl , is the worst thing ever on tv if that happens. I blame teens for pushing that so much when the characters are sooo not for each other.
    I love Andrea, the stupid hate she hates is ridic. And even more dumb the hate that poor Laurie Holden get for that.

I love the show but a lot of the TWD fandom is annoying and dumb.

Comment by Mandy – March 4, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *gets

Comment by Mandy – March 4, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree Carl used to be just quite and in the middle he was wierd about I would have killed her to and shoot him dad but he turned out pretty sensible although he is a good character my fav is Daryl Dixon although he’s a tough and great fighter he is nice and he has a mad Horton scout hd 12 crossbow

Comment by Emij cool kat – April 16, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post