Sons of Anarchy Scoop: Jimmy Smits Returning Full-Time in Season 6

Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers Nero and GemmaSons of Anarchy is making Jimmy Smits a full-time member.

TVLine has learned that Smits — who joined the FX smash last season as gangbanger-turned-“companionator” Nero — is not only returning in Season 6, but will appear in all 13 episodes.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers: Find Out Who Will (and Won’t) Be Back!

In December, series creator Kurt Sutter told TVLine that he was anxious to further examine the relationship between Nero and Katey Sagal’s Gemma, but noted that Smits’ busy schedule could be an obstacle.

“I dig [them],” said the boss. “In the finale, when he’s all twisted up about being back in the life, that’s the thing that makes Gemma the most comfortable. She knows what to do with those kinds of men; she knows how to be strong for those kinds of men. So, what does that look like? It’s a culture clash that we haven’t explored yet. To plug her into that world, which is traditionally somewhat misogynistic, could be interesting to see played out a little bit and to see what that looks like. I’d love to keep that going.”

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on Television Right Now

Despite being signed for all episodes produced in Season 6, Smits won’t technically be billed as a series regular.

SOA, which currently stands as FX’s highest-rated series ever, is slated to start production on Season 6 in early summer ahead of a fall 2013 launch.

1. jasie says:

Great news. He added a great new level to the show.

• Stephen says:

Hey Jasie, i liked they way in came into the show.

• Diane says:

Loved Jimmy Smits in L.A. Law and NYPD Blue. Now to have him on SOA–woo-hoo.
      Good actor who is also hot, hot, hot!!

• Nicole says:

I love Jimmy Smits he is a great actor. He should have been on Sons of Anarchy since the first season.

• A says:

NERO BACK….?????????? WHAT! GOOD JOB KURT SUTTER FOR BRINGING HIM ON FOR S6! CAN’T WAIT . HE CAN REALLY HELP OUT JAX AND THE MC NOW W/ LEE TORIC IN THE REAR VIEW LOOKING TO CUASE SOME TROUBLE UP IN CHARMING! AND RESPONSIBLE FOR MAYBE ……………..PUTTING TARA IN JAIL???

• Martin says:

I think it was gemma that put tara in prison as she cant live without her boys remember folkes….

• Deee says:

Yah gemma she went to the cops and told them that she went and brought Tara the cross.

So I think caz she did threaten her because Tara didn’t want Et around Tomas and Abel

• william says:

I agree with you. I think it was gemma to because also remember she heard nero tell jax “your almost out to mono” the look on her face she almost screamed lol

• Net Etiquette says:

Why are you YELLING?

• Hank Terrell says:

Opie should be brought back as a ghost that haunts Jax in his actions a sort of check and balance that keeps him (Jax) from completely becoming another Clay a sort of moral compas. Glad to see Jimmy Smits join season 6, being a former Biker Bobby needs to change his pampers and quit crying about every action his Pres. Makes, I would like to see the Scott become the new VP I think he would make Jax stonger as the Pres. Caint wait for the new season, I watch all the seasons over and over on Netflix season six will be very interesting but do not forget Popes crew there may be some blow back on the MC if the truth ever comes to light.
      LONG LIVE THE SONS OF ANRARCHY THEY RULE!!!!!!

• Good thing u r not a writer on this show, You want Opie back as a ghost? Really? A Ghost in SOA? Anytime any show does that like Walking Dead it jumps the shark AKA the show begins to suck

• Bjinak says:

Could not agree more. I loved opies character but seeing ghosts would kill the show. Bring him back in dreams of flashbacks but no ghosts

• Rob Foe says:

Hell Yea man That would be an Awesome Idea,I digg what your saying,Sorta Keep Jax from going off the Rails completely.I def. Think your right about bobby to,Hes been acting like a total Sissy im getting sick of it..And @ Steven micheals,Are you Slow?First off Rick seeing Lauries Ghost In The Walking Dead Was NOT that show Jumping the shark in any way.You Suck at life for even thinking that lmao.IDK where you get your thoughts from but honestly your getting screwed wether you pay for them or not.It had its meaning and It definitely wasnt because they ran out of ideas for tyhe show,Rick NEEDED to see her,HE was about to SNAP.But whatev Man enjoy your Crappy tv viewing.

• Mike says:

Opie was awesome and the second best character to Jax, but an Opie ghost? Thats the stupidiest idea ive ever heard and would ruin the show… plus i think Ryan Hurst has better things to do than stick around playing a ghost for atmost five minutes each episode. Opie should have never been killed off, but SOA isn’t the kind of show with ghosts from the past. Kurt Sutter focuses on reality and he does a great job. Your right about Bobby thou, Sons isn’t for wuss’s. When time comes that someone deserves to die, none of them should punk out. Stopping Jax and making a deal with someone who betrayed the club like Clay has is not something another member should ever do, i consider what Bobby did a betrayal, especially since Bobby knows everything from Clay killing Jax/ Opie’s fathers, killing Opie’s wife, and setting up the death of tara. Bobby needs to remember when a member crosses the club that deliberate and decisive action needs to be taken, NO MATTER WHO IS IT. Former president or not he is a trader and allowing him to live is wrong, how many people that deserved to live that are dead because of clay? I cannot wait to see what Kurt Sutter has instore for us next, he is great at his job as a writer, and an actor. Thanks Kurt for bringing the world SOA.

• Steven Grant Stratford says:

When does Season 6 begin?

2. Hell yes! I am so glad they got him back on SOA. I didn’t like him in Dexter but I loved him in SOA.

3. G says:

FANTASTIC. Smits and Logue were great additions to season 5. So glad they’re both back for season 6. I really hope Sutter doesn’t ruin Gemma/Nero because they’re great together. Smits/Sagal was my favorite duo of last year’s TV season.

4. Ivyanne says:

I think so long as charlie hunnam stays in the show ill be watching!!!!!

5. Donna says:

Bouncing up and down in my chair at this news!

6. Carl says:

All real Jimmy fans know him from NYPD Blue…. Love this couple also..

• G says:

True! I still remember him back in that show. NYPD and Married with Children were two of my household’s favorite TV shows so we all are thoroughly enjoying this pairing.

• Carl says:

NYPD Blue was a fav of mine and mothers. His death ep. was one for the ages. Really sad. I miss some good ole 90’s sitcoms..

• carolyn says:

he sooooooo rocked in NYPD Blue, he came in during the second season after david caruso threw his little tantrum and demanded a ridiculous pay hike. i think he thought he made the show and it would die without him pfffffffffffffft.. jimmy smits came in to replace him and HE made the show, made it even better then ever.. totally awesome actor and the man aint hard on the eyes at allllllllllll, lol

• Michelle says:

Oh yes! Loved NYPD blue… Have always been a big Jimmy fan.

7. Charles Lovett says:

The best show on tv I love it

8. Angela says:

Great news……LOVE him and I think he is good for Gemma. Can’t WAIT for new season!

9. Ames says:

best news ever…i LOVED the new Nero characters and have been hoping for this news…ALL 13 episodes is even better than i hoped for!!

10. Aly says:

I’m really excited about this! Gemma and Nero were great together, so can’t wait to see where they go with their storyline.

11. missy says:

So excited about this news …can’t wait for season .6

12. lori says:

SOA should be on everyday i cant get enough

13. Hayley says:

That’s awesome! Season 6 needs to hurry up! I’m ready to see what happens next! One week waits killed me, lol and now I’m dying because it’ll be months before we find out!

Also I’d love an autograph from Charlie Hunnam:) I love me some Jax!:)

14. cappy says:

dont matter who is in it just get the show on t,v, rushhhhhhhhhhh itttttt cant be waiting ,,,best show going ,,

15. PR says:

SOA keep Nero an Gemma together ,they have chemistry !!!!! Clay isn’t good to her or for her…Nero loves the lady !!!

16. Amanda says:

Bring back Venus Van Damm!!!!!

17. Danielle says:

The best “Show” of the decade… SOA CAN’T GET ENOUGH…;)😜…. However Opie shld be brought back bcuz Jax n Opie make the show, not to mention thy are very much “eye candy”…:)

18. Stephen says:

Can’t wait for season 6 ..

19. Amanda says:

Can’t wait! Fall is too far away! Miss Jaxx n hope Clay stays gone!! Hopefully there will b plenty more seasons to come! My favorite show, EVER!!

20. Me says:

Didn’t Ausiello just make a pithy comment about how it was too early for S6 spoilers *yesterday*?

21. Doug Turnidge says:

Sutter doesn’t ruin any thing. His story is flawless in my opinion. Can’t get enough SOA

22. SOA is the only show on TV that I never miss. I have watched it from the very begining and love, love, love it. It is my only “MUST WATCH” for the week. Hasn’t been a show this good since “24” left the air. Keep up the great work Mr. Sutter.

• Mike says:

No show thats on now, was on, or ever will be on will ever match up to SOA. SOA is the absolute best show there is or will ever be and that is not up for discussion. Kurt Sutter is the s**t. I recommend SOA to everyone, and if you dont watch your missing out. I would give me left teste to be on the show.. actually i wouldnt but you get the point lol.

23. yea i agree with one poster if jax was to leave that would kill everything. he needs a new “clay” to rough him up a bit. i like jaxes ex wife, she needs to start dating someone in the club, that would ruffle jax, brother against brother would follow, need to clear the doctor and have her beat up on jax ex lol

• carrie says:

Why would Wendy date someone else in the club when she hates all Of them?

• Mike says:

and none of the members should ever do that, they are a club based on loyalty. Jax does not want her around and his friend dating her wouldnt help him accomplish getting her out of his life and away from Jax’s child, WHO SHE ALMOST KILLED WITH HER DRUG PROBLEMS. Any fan of Jax’s wouldnt want her more involved… I sure dont, and none of these ideas matter because Kurt Sutter doesn’t need any help to keep us interested or write his show, our ideas suck compared to what he comes up with. Kurt is the most abstract and interesting writer of any show, You never know what’s coming nextand it seems like our guess’s are never right. Kurt is full of suprises!! Thanks Kurt i hope one day I get to meet you.

• JAX IS PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE SHOW AND LOVE TO SEE TARA PUT GEMMA IN HER PLACE. DON’T GET ME WRONG I LOVE GEMMA

24. love smits, gemma will finally find someone who will tell her the truth. until season 7 when smits becomes a ruthless vato

25. Trulie says:

Love sons!!!!just toooooo long to wait between seasons. My favorite show. Hated u killed opie off!!

26. Penny Hodges says:

I can not hardly wait that show is so AWESOME hope they never stop this show if they do it would be a crying shame I know I would cry

27. UGH! Didn’t like him on LA Law… HATED him on NYPD Blue.

28. Barbara W. says:

Can hardly wait for the Fall. Love the Nero addition to Gemma’s world. LOVE SOA!

29. bigmoe says:

awesome show let jimmie stay with gemma dont let tara leave and bribg back opie

30. Tony says:

Don’t care for his appearance or acting skills.

31. yolanda piot says:

Hallo een trouwe fan van België hier moeten wij speciaal betalen voor de serie te volgen we zij juist gestart met seizoen 5 nu te horen dat seizoen 6 ook ga komen kan ik het alleen maar toe juichen ik zelf heb de 4 seizoenen aan geschaft die hier in de winkel verkrijgbaar zijn is natuurlijk en hopelijk brengen ze seizoen 5en 6 ook in de winkel komt want hier in België weten ze het nog niet maar de eerste dag is mijn favorieten serie en wens hun veel sucses toe
    Vele groeten
    Yolanda

32. Lyn says:

Love him, although let’s face it, the scenario of Jimmy Smits making out with an average-looking middle-aged woman is only gonna come true if you are Katey and your husband is boss of the show!

• G says:

Hahaha average-looking? Katey Sagal makes the myth that “white women don’t age well” questionable. She’s freaking 60 and still banging. Her feature are anything but average. Hell, go ahead and even call her ugly instead, but average is not a synonym I would ever associate with her, lol. They’re both hot. But I guess that’s subjective. Jimmy’s real life partner is the lady who played Dora the Whora on season 5, btw. She was also a babe. Lucky Jimmy Smits…

33. Beth says:

Love this! Not only do he and Gemma fit well together, I think he has been great for Jax too. Great move :)

34. kikic says:

Does anyone know when season 5 will re-air or go to Netflix? We haven’t seen any of it!

• G says:

It will probably be added on Netflix after the season 5 DVD release (which is most likely going to be released by the end of August/early September before season 6 premieres). So you still have a long wait. iTunes and Amazon has all the episodes available already, though.

• Hank Terrell says:

iTunes has season 5

• gill hick says:

only morons actually PAY for reruns..jus get 1-5 in torrent take like 20mins to d/L

35. Sue says:

Jimmy Smits is good. Love his role. So excited for the new season :)

36. erika says:

I have never.loved a show so much in my life, sutter is brilliant, always keeps us.coming back.for more , poor.Tara, she will.soon.find her way , altough, I really hope jax had nothing to do with that..,I will never stop watching, great work!

37. karen says:

Bring OPIE back

38. yolanda piot says:

I like gemma and the rest of de crew jack doc
    Geëerd yolanda

39. Its one of the best shows ever wish i could be on a show like that with my v8 trike raising hell an haven fun..look forward to watching it every week S.O.A.

40. patty dilallo says:

I am a complete and total addict of SOA.. I can not wait until season 6 starts.

41. Kat says:

I have to agree…SOA is so freakin awesome…however I was totally sad when Piney and Opie got killed off….seriously Mr.Sutter….what r u thinking….Jax needs his ….Brother/BF ….and yeah Jaxs’ ex really needs to get hooked up with someone from the club….would make it that mug more interesting ……..wish I could meet the cast.. It would undoubtedly be the most phenomenal thing for me beside having 4 great kids….anyway best wishes to the cast and crew and Mr.Sutter too

42. conniecreswell says:

I love SOA and was very happy to see Jimmy join the show. I think he only makes it better!!!

43. Faster says:

Great news. This is one of the best shows on TV, and Nero is one of the best characters on this show.

44. Britta Unfiltered says:

That actually makes me want to keep watching the show. Good news.

45. mary says:

Yay. Finally someone who can call Gemma on her Manipulation. She will get a chance to find out if shes tough enough to be a real lady. And shes not gonna be able to toy with him. It will be fascinating to see her grow.

46. mary says:

Time for Tig to have a real love interest. I say a straight laced female cop.

47. megan says:

Well Jimmy is a super talented dude. Just wish they hadn’t messed up his storyline towards the end of the season there. Hopefully it will be better next season.

48. kates2424 says:

I call for another Walton Goggins cameo. That was priceless.

49. Faster says:

I don’t understand why there are so many “bring back Opie” comments. HE DIED. It’s not a supernatural show, he’s not coming back.

• Jacqulyn Brandenburg says:

I agree, OP did die, but I think/know that sutter must regret this. everyone loved OP sooo much, but OP was only contracted to do season 1, but we were graced by his presence for 5 seasons b/c fans loved him dearly!

50. chad Eric says:

As a 40yr old black man my initial thought of the show was a bunch of renegade white boys! Since then I have absolutely been captivated with this show!!! The story lines, plot, the characters and the acting are absolutely amazing!!!! I love this show, my favorite!!! Clay is cut throat! Cannot wait until next season, until then I’ll continue to watch all my episodes on dvr!