Ratings: Modern Family Eyes Its First-Ever Win Over Idol, Chicago Fire Tops CSI, Arrow Rises

ELIZABETH BANKS, AUBREY ANDERSON-EMMONSWith American Idol dipping 7 percent week-to-week to its lowest rating since July 2003, ABC’s Modern Family — at least per preliminary numbers — is looking at its first Wednesday win ever over the Fox juggernaut, scoring a 3.9 rating to Idol‘s 3.8.

The closest the ABC sitcom has come to Idol previously was within a tenth of a rating point (just last week), so even if it winds up a tie in the finals… still a first.

Though Idol of course led the night in total viewers, it did so with its smallest audience (13.15 mil) since August 2002, down 8 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: It Moves Us All, Through Despair and Hope

Also of note this Wednesday: NBC’s Chicago Fire (with a 1.9 rating) scored its first ever demo win over an original CSI (down 22 percent to 1.8), as well as bested Nashville (down two tenths to 1.6). Who else agrees with Twitter’s MaskedScheduler here?

Going network-by-network….

ABC | The Middle (8 mil/2.1) and The Neighbors (6.12 mil/1.7) both dipped two tenths. Modern Family (10.6 mil/3.9) ticked down a tenth, while Suburgatory (6.3 mil/2.3) rose 10 and 15 percent. Nashville (5.14 mil/1.6) was down 11 percent.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow

CBS | Survivor (9.43 mil/2.6) rose two tenths, Criminal Minds (10.6 mil/2.6) was flat and CSI (9.3 mil/1.8) dropped 13 and 22 percent.

FOX | The aforementioned Idol (13.15 mil/3.8) dipped 9 and 7 percent week-to-week.

NBC | Whitney (3.55 mil/1.2) and the Guys With Kids season finale (3.15 mil/1.1) each ticked up a tenth. SVU (5.6 mil/1.6) and Chicago Fire (6.54 mil/1.9) were flat.

THE CW | Arrow (3.3 mil/1.0) added some eyeballs and ticked up a tenth, while Supernatural (2.24/0.9) ticked up in total audience.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. George2k says:

Arrow best new show of the year !!!!

2. HeatherC says:

Wow! Go Chicago Fire! That’s pretty cool news. I’m bummed that Nashville’s ratings dipped a bit this week but stoked for CF. =)

3. Esaul says:

Glad to see Chicago Fire is improving. Not the best show of the season, but definitely the most underrated despite the reviews from TVLine, EW, etc.

4. Valerie says:

Good to see those solid numbers for Chicago Fire. Its a pretty entertaining show.

5. wrstlgirl says:

WhoooHooooo for Chicago Fire!!!! I’m smelling a renewal :-)

6. Elyse says:

awesome for Chicago Fire! it was a great episode :)

7. ollie says:

yay supernatural

8. Jaime says:

Great news for Chicago Fire! Now get rid of SVU and give CF a good lead in and imagine what their numbers would be.

• Esaul says:

SVU is actually doing well considering their lead in. Note how it’s the sitcoms that are failing and being removed, not SVU.

• JC says:

Agreed. The problem with NBC’s Wednesday nights is the 8:00 hour. It has consistently been the lowest rated hour of the night all season long.

• icywinter2 says:

You’re wrong, SVU hasn’t been the lowest rating tv show of the hour all season long. I don’t know where you got this information but it’s incorrect, the ratings have really improved. They aren’t low at all.

• John says:

Wow icy…you seriously need to go back and read that post again. JC is talking about the sitcoms in the post above. I suspect JC is from the east coast which would put the comedies on at 8:00 and SVU on at 9:00. Chill.

• JC says:

I was referring to the sitcoms that air in the 8:00 hour. SVU airs at 9:00 idiot.

9. Mikael says:

I’m so glad that a scripted show is beating Idol. We’ve had reality show overload, especially with music competitions.

10. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Elizabeth Banks – hardest working woman ['I'll sleep when I'm dead'] in Hollywood. The Modern Family team scored a coup in landing her for a guest role – I bet that had something to do with the improved demo numbers. Last night’s show was terrific. If Elizabeth elects to move away from feature films to television, she could have her pick of the litter – any show she wants.

That’s the good news for ABC last night. The bad news? I love the show, particularly the cast, but Nashville’s numbers can’t be making people at ABC happy – they must be worried sick. Heck, I’m worried, and I don’t even work there. Nashville was heavily promoted on Sunday during the Oscar telecast – I was hoping to see a ‘bump’ in the numbers. Not happening.

Who would have predicted at the start of the season that Chicago Fire would be out performing Nashville? Now, Nashville is consistently bringing up the rear in a three horse race. That can’t continue. If ABC finds a pilot for fall’13 for that 10pm slot [they will], Nashville will have to be on the move – either to Sunday/10pm, or worse.

11. Tran says:

NBC better renew Chicago Fire for a second season. Don’t know if Nashville is going to get renewed for ABC but if it does, they better move the series to Sundays at 10 p.m.

12. Tran says:

Hope Guys with Kids gets “canceled” by NBC as does Whitney. They’re two of the worst sitcoms I’ve ever seen. :-(

• Jo says:

Speak for yourself, I love them as a lot of other people i know also do! In my oppinion we need those type of shows, too many adult shows going on at the moment like new girl and modern family which i personally can’t stand…so to each their own i guess, but those are the types of sitcoms i like, which were made so popular in the 90’s!

• Nick says:

Just wondering, Tran, if you’ve seen some of the more recent episodes of Guys with Kids? No disrespect to your opinion, but I for one think it has greatly improved over its run and has become one of the funnier multicam sticoms on TV these days. The cast are immensely likeable and the storylines exemplify fatherhood in the 21st century. I’m hoping NBC gives it more of a chance and renews it for another season. (Plus, it’s always a joy to see Tempest Bledsoe back on TV!)

Whitney, on the other hand, I actually liked more last season than this season. I don’t like the new bar setting, and the poor supporting characters don’t seem to have much development or things to do. Ah well.

13. ggny says:

NBC got to give a renewal to Chicago Fire and stand behind the show. It got hit written all over it but i think people are worried NBC is gonna axed it. Renew it and get the Leads Guys and Gals out their to promote it they are good looking people and NBC needs to get them out there to promote this more

14. Drew says:

The CW better not split Arrow and Supernatural up next year. It’s a great night of TV, and the ratings for both shows reflects the fact that the audience has responded to it. It would be stupid to split them up and pair each of them with iffy new shows.

For me, Wednesday night has become the one night worth looking forward to each week.

• Prue says:

I think they are going to split them. Arrow serves as a lead-in to the new shows next fall.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Perhaps, but they may not need to. Here’s a possible scenario I’m betting on:

* Wednesday: Arrow/Supernatural [ratings are good for both - CW has other headaches]
        * Thursday: TVD/The Originals (new series)
        * Friday: Nikita/new series (your guess as good as mine) – maybe Top Model holds on? :(
        * Monday: headache for CW – decision on soap or genre block? I’m betting soap: HoD/TCD
        * Tuesday: BatB/new series to match (Oxygen?)

This lineup gives CW a returning lead-in show on each night at 8pm, with either new series or ‘newish’ returning series (TCD) at 9. Minimal disruption to schedule, but new shows in place.

15. Martina says:

Chicago Fire is a great show, last nights episode was really good, I was sure right up until the end that Severide’s dad had caused Henry Mills death.
    Last nights SVU was a brilliant episode, I unfortunately read twitter afterwards and was appalled at the amount of young people spouting rubbish such as “I love Chris Brown no matter what he’s done”

• icywinter2 says:

Yeah those haters on twitter that constantly put down SVU.. They don’t even realize that this episode was loosely based on what happened. The ending most certaintly didn’t happen in real life.

Who would even support Brown after what he did, that’s just wrong to even support him after abusing that pop star girlfriend of his.

16. Sarah says:

Chicago Fire just keeps getting better and better, a well balanced and well written show. I’m still watching Nashville but it has moved to the bottom of my PVR list and is in danger of being deleted as I’m having a hard time convincing myself it is worth an hour of my life when there is other, better tv shows on.

17. Mel says:

American Idol is just boring anymore. How many years are we willing to watch 2-4 hours of mediocre singers, and judges who have nothing new or fresh to say every week? I quit AI several years ago. God bless um though.

18. Iakovos says:

Disappointed about NASHVILLE. It is so well done. Is there a better time slot for it? Would it do better Sundays at 10, Tuesdays at 10? I know NBC’s football would kill it come fall though, going with the former. ABC can dump THE NEIGHBORS and SUBURGATORY (despite the talent). COUGAR TOWN or HAPPY ENDINGS should still be in that 9:30 Wednesday slot.

IDOL is on its downside. When the drama is more about the judges and show itself, not the compeition, well… I’d expect less interest.

NBC should be loving CHICAGO FIRE. It is comfort television with sweet eye candy. Renewal should be obvious. Maybe Dick Wolf can revive LAW & ORDER as a partner piece. Seriously. The concept is foolproof. One needs only the right talent. Reruns remain interesting to me. SUV needs to be retired. Good run, but it’s time. Peacock needs to scrap its lame comedies.

The CW scores with ARROW. It is good.

For all nets: Less snark. Less reality.Less base humor. Fewer mysterious dark conspiracy future-in-danger trying-to-be-the-next-LOST serialized dramas.

19. luisfernandogf says:

I think WHITNEY gets a fair Rating plus it’s a really good show, I love it. The next three weeks The Middle is going to have repeats so I’m hoping WHITNEY goes up a little bit more.

20. forwarddad says:

Hang in there Nashville….last night episode was good. Things moving quicker. So glad Teddy and Rayna divorcing . Move to Sunday?

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

And the other question for ABC – one I hadn’t thought of… would moving/shifting Nashville over to Sunday at 10pm ‘now’, *before* the end of this season in mid-May be worth considering? A lot would depend upon how well Red Widow does in that slot Sun/10pm – we’ll know soon.

If RD does well there, great, leave well enough alone. But if RD does not do well there and ratings are poor after a few episodes by late April, would a couple of shots of Nashville in that Sunday 10pm slot in early May be a good gamble for ABC? It would be ‘double-pumped’, with a new show on Sunday/10pm, followed by another new offering at the normal Wed/10 slot. It would force the viewers to jump from Wed/10pm to Sunday/10 for a week or two, and the episodes would be burned up faster, which is not good. BUT, it would allow ABC to quickly test Nashville at that slot, prior to fall vs NFL football.

Maybe worth consideration by ABC? If those couple of doses of Nashville at 10pm Sunday don’t fly, then it is probably over – but better to know in May’13, than find out the hard way by Jan’14. I think Tuesday/10pm is probably not an option for Nashville. I’m assuming ABC will just go with a new series in that slot this fall if BoP doesn’t return.

21. MJ says:

I am disappointed in Criminal Minds numbers. Last nights episode was amazing. Though in my local area Criminal Minds did not come on until 2:37am because of a basketball game.

• Angela says:

Oh, wow, seriously? Yeah, that would hurt things a bit, for sure.
      Anywho, yeah, I can’t believe I have to wait three weeks now to figure out what that ending means for the team. Argh, cliffhangers…*Shakes fist*

• kendall says:

CM hasn’t been the same for me without Paget!!!

22. sarah says:

Chicago Fire is one of the best shows on tv and the fact that it beat CSI is great!
    Glad that Arrow did well and good news for Modern Family as well!

23. Brandy says:

Too bad Nashville is down

24. Boiler says:

Bumbed about Nashville. ABC screws with it so much with specials and reruns. Need to get behind shows like this. I do see Nashville is equal to Chicago Fire after DVR factored in plus they have music downloads. Hopefully ABC gives this one a chance as opposed to other shows over the past few years

25. Shari says:

NASHVILLE!!!! :-(

26. Lyn says:

I wish they’d move “Nashville” to Monday, when there’s not a freakin’ thing on worth watching. Though there are some weak links in the show — and I for one am not sold on critics’ darling Connie Britton in the lead — I love the option of something that’s NOT set in NYC or Los Angeles and NOT about cops, lawyers or doctors. Plus, the music is often really good. Hayden Panettiere, especially.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Hayden rocks! She has been the big surprise for me on Nashville [I love Connie, but I knew that going into the series] – I had no idea how good Hayden could be. That said, ABC is stuck – there’s no place to put Nashville next fall.

This posting group may not be big on Castle at 10pm Mondays, but the posting group for Monday nights is an army [seriously, literally an army] of fans who love Castle. And Castle’s ratings are good. ABC is set on Monday at 10pm and probably Tuesday (ABC will either keep BoP, or more likely, place a new series in that 10pm slot). Plus, if ABC feels bold and moves Scandal to Thursday at 9pm, they’ll move Grey’s to this Wed/10pm slot. The production value/cost of Nashville make it an unlikely choice for Friday.

Hence, all that’s left is Sunday at 10pm – which actually may not be a bad idea. I’m of the thinking now that placing new series at 10pm Sunday is not a good idea anymore for the big-3. Hard to build a new audience in that slot – we’ll see how Red Widow does. But if it fails, Nashville may be the perfect counter-programming show for the 10pm Sunday slot.

27. Amiee says:

As weak as a 1.9 demo rating is, Chicago Fire is (currently) one of NBC’s highest rated shows. That will change when The Voice and Revolution return to the schedule but the rest of the shows are doing so poorly I’m fairly certain CF will return next season.

28. Kathryn says:

I think these long breaks are hurting Nashville… the show will be on 1 night, then off for 2 weeks, then on for 2 weeks and off for 3. It’s so hard to build momentum with those long breaks. I hope ABC takes this into account and gives it another season.. Nashville deserves it! It’s a great show.

29. Rjrtist says:

CSI looked tired last night. Plot lines lately have been the supporting actor who is left is the killer. Title of lastnight’s episode was ” Last Woman Standing,” duh!