Exclusive

NCIS Exclusive: Homeland's Jamey Sheridan Cast as McGee's Father

NCIS Season 10 Spoilers: Jamey Sheridan CastJamey Sheridan has recovered nicely from the Homeland Season 2 finale, scoring a plum role on CBS’ NCIS.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the actor will guest-star on TV’s most watched drama as NCIS agent Timothy McGee’s father, Admiral John McGee, in an illuminating episode titled “Squall” and likely airing in late March.

PHOTOS | NCIS First Look: Who’s Tony Chatting Up on the Beach in the Bahamas…?

“Jamey Sheridan’s recent work on Homeland [as Vice President Walden] just reinforced what a terrific actor he is,” NCIS show runner Gary Glasberg tells TVLine. “The role of McGee’s father is complex and layered with some real surprises thrown in. We can’t wait to see what Jamey does with it and how he plays opposite Sean Murray.”

The introduction of McGee’s occasionally-mentioned, never-seen father — which was originally envisioned to fall during February sweeps — “will be part of what leads us into our final arc,” Glasberg previously previewed.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Alum Kim Raver to Headline CBS’ NCIS: LA Spin-Off

Prior to his Homeland stint, Sheridan’s TV resume included Arrow (as Oliver’s doomed dad), NBC’s Trauma and, of course, Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Svenja says:

Yay. I have been waiting for this. Perfect casting. Can’t wait.

2. Natalie says:

Hmmmm – Sheridan was certainly not the top choice amongst fans to play Tim’s Dad, but in any case, I look fwd to finally meeting this character :) This should add an interesting dynamic!!

3. Stacey says:

Interesting, not who I pictured. But I am sure it will work. NCIS has hit home runs with the other parental casting…

4. Kristi says:

Can’t wait to see him on NCIS! I loved him as Captain Deakins on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

5. Really excited about getting to ‘meet’ Admiral McGee! Can’t wait to see the episode. :-)

• papnana says:

I totally agree with you Marla, I have been waiting for “Admiral McGee” to show up & IMO Jamey Sheridan is a great choice.

6. Dianne says:

I can’t wait to see Jamey Sheridan again. I love him in anything he does!

7. Lorie says:

Nice choice!

8. Nani says:

Finally! I can’t wait to see this episode.

9. DL says:

Really happy about this choice. :D

10. Braywnen says:

Good casting but would have like to have seen Donald Bellisario play his dad. (as he created JAG and NCIS and is Sean Murray’s Dad in real life) as a sweet gesture

11. Yesterday's Child says:

Really, really happy about this choice. Again not a CBS spokesperson but I am so not getting the love for their shows here. I get there is a lot fans of ABC, NBC and even CW, and still the network that has so many viewers are constantly shunned here. For me being a CBS viewer, I would love to be a bigger part of this site, but it is not happening here. Maybe some day when CBS has lost shows like NCIS, and we are needing hits, maybe sites like this will open their arms with love. Till then, seriously I am confused why others are wine and dined on sites, and we are showed to the door of McDonalds.

12. TVDIVA says:

Fantastic! I could watch Sheridan read a phone book and be happy. Great casting.

13. Kathi says:

Okay, as an avid Homeland watcher (and not a fan of VP Walden) this is going to be hard for me, but I am sure the storyline will be such to “distract” me from the casting.

14. Tran says:

Can’t believe VP Walden did or didn’t deserve to get killed off in Episode 210 on HOMELAND. Wonder if Jamey Sheridan is in search to have his own series sometime in the near future. Also, he did good during his stint on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

15. Zorkel567 says:

Looks jut as I had imagined McGee’s father would. Excited to finally see his dad.

16. john moberly says:

I’m a fan of NCIS and Mark Harmon. McGee is one of the characters that needs some depth and I believe this coming episode will give us an insight into his background! Way to go producers as you take time to flesh out each main characters past.

17. Garrett B says:

Finally! I always felt that McGee and Vance always got the short end of the stick when it comes to backstory/daddy issues episodes. Looking forward to this. Thanks TV Line!

18. Moms a TVFan77 says:

Was Treat Williams busy? He has been playing everyone’s dad lately.

19. sladewilson says:

Perfect casting. BTW – I think you guys do a terrific job covering all the networks…

20. Pennagirl says:

Good choice, enjoyed Jamey Sheridan on L&O:CI

21. So, looking forward to this episode of meeting Tims father the Admiral.

22. Kathy says:

After Tim’s comment about how his childhood was like The Great Santini, I started picturing his father as Robert John Burke. Sheridan works, though. I loved him on L&O:CI

23. Anne says:

Thank god! I was going crazy waiting to hear any news about this. I’ve been looking forward to this episode so much. Loved him in Criminal Intent. It will be interesting to see how McGee stands up to his father after so many years – McGee has grown in confidence and assertiveness since he started at the agency. And yeah, it will be interesting to see how Sean interacts with him.

Thanks also for a rough time period. I was afraid that we’d have to wait for sweeps a few months ago. Gosh, I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas. How embarrassing.

24. Broadwayfan says:

I had heard previously that Gerald McRaney was set to play Tim’s father. Once I read this quote about the character…’complex and layered’….no one could do a better job with a character like that than Gerald. I like Jamie, loved him in L&O:CI, and on HOMELAND.
    He’s a fine actor.
    I just wish it WERE Gerald that was going to be Tim’s father.

25. Alisa Neely says:

he looks like he will fit the role….however, only TIME will tell…..if what we’ve been told by tim over the years, is actually what we SEE…..look what happened with tony and his father….while some of what we were told by tony, about his father….has been proved “true”….some other things, haven’t……i wonder how well, tim WILL stand up to his father?…because, he really hasn’t with gibbs….YES, i know gibbs is his boss…..however, TONY HAS “NO” PROBLEM standing up to gibbs, when it calls for it…..tim has once or twice….but, not alot.

alisa

• annemccoy says:

This was true of Gibbs and his father too. How Gibbs portrayed/talked about his father was very different from the way others actually actually experienced. Remember Ducky saying that Gibbs’ father was much more warm and friendly than Gibbs ever described?

26. June says:

It is not the guy I had in mind to have the role of McGee’s father. I am looking forward on how he will handle the role. The guy I thought would get the role would be Eric Branden.

• Kathy Agel says:

Braeden doesn’t sound like a McGee would sound…. He may be living here in the US for 50 years, but he still has that gorgeous German accent which would be hard to hide.

27. fictionnaire aka Skippy says:

After the disappointing reimagining of Tony’s Father, I’m not getting excited about it too much. What I am excited about is the possibility that McGee could get a Series Finale Arc which is what I’ve been hoping for for some time now.

28. Caroline Walsh says:

i think it’s a perfect choice.