Scoop: Covert Affairs Adds CSI: NY's Hill Harper as Series Regular

Covert Affairs Spoilers: Hill Harper CastExiting CSI: NY original cast member Hill Harper is spying a new gig — as an ambitious CIA honcho on Covert Affairs.

TVLine has learned that Harper is joining the USA Network drama for Season 4 in the series regular role of an intelligent, charismatic and slightly cocky CIA station chief based in Latin America who plots his way into a bigger position in D.C.

In his quest for greater power, Harper’s character will attempt to make Annie and Auggie his allies, though his actions will cause the pair to question his intentions.

UPDATE: Per our sister site Deadline, Harper will not continue with CSI: NY should it be renewed for a Season 10. (TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard has the latest on the CBS crime drama’s prospects.)

RECAP | Covert Affairs Season 3 Finale: Annie Gets Two Offers She Can’t Refuse

In announcing Harper’s casting, USA let slip this preview for the coming season: “Season 4 picks up after CIA operative Annie and her longtime best friend and blind CIA tech-op Auggie finally acknowledge their romantic feelings for one another. Things get complicated at the agency, as Annie aligns with Henry Wilcox in a dangerous, covert mission that has potentially scandalous consequences for the CIA.”

In addition to his nine-season, series regular run as CSI: NY‘s Dr. Sheldon Hawkes, Harper’s TV credits include The 4400, CBS’ City of Angels and The Handler, and Married… With Children.

RELATED | USA Network Boss: New Graceland ‘Has Some Real Grittiness,’ But Isn’t Too Dark for Us

Covert‘s 16-episode Season 4 premieres this summer. CBS’ yet-to-be-renewed CSI: NY airs its Season 9 finale tonight at 9/8c.

1. Pennagirl says:

Well this sounds like CSI NY is not coming back, even though the chances were slim.

2. JTP says:

Whoa so does this mean CSI NY is done for since its regulars are already looking for other gigs?

3. Luciano says:

What happens if CSI: NY gets renewed somehow? Is Covert Affairs in second position?

4. Jessica Valure says:

They are getting rid of all the CSI except for CSI Las Vegas which is stupid cause Grissom and Catherine aren’t even in the show anymore talk about boring. I still can’t believe they canceled Miami before any them CSI Miami was so much better then NY and Las Vegas dang producers

• Barb says:

I definitely agree with you! CSI: Miami was much better than the other two. I also agree that since Catherine and Grissom left, the show hasn’t been the same. With Ted Danson at the helm, it’s just boring, and I can’t stand his acting!

• Amanda Parker says:

I agree !!!! CSI Miami was so much better than Las Vegas & New York !!!!! It’s a shame it was cancelled!!!!!!!

5. Ashley says:

Nooooo. I hate that guy. Ugh.

6. george says:

I always found his CSI NY character wishy washy. Even when he was front & center & they tried to make him 3 dimensional he came across as “created by committee”. It’d be nice to give him something to get his teeth into.

7. Sue says:

Why does every show seem to be adding an African American actor? I don’t have an issue with African Americans but I want cast additions to be done because it is right for the show not because it is politically correct or giving a nod to diversity (like Jennifer Hudson joining both SMASH and Sex and the City when there was no reason for her to be on either show). African Americans only make up 13% of the US population so it seems odd that we are seeing more African Americans than Hispanics who make up 29% of the population. And is this case, the CIA station chief Harper is portaying is from Latin America so someone Hispanic would make more sense!

• Lena says:

If you have no problem with African Americans on television why mention it? I agree that it would be nice to see a Hispanic American in various roles, but that doesn’t mean the writers and producers of shows should just shove out any other race because of the U.S. population. Besides, you have no idea why they chose this guy for the role. You are just making ridiculous, racially charged assumptions.

• Jane Doe says:

Hispanics are well enough represented in today’s TV. We have Sara Ramirez on Greys, Constance Marie on SAB, Naya Rivera on Glee, Jon Huertas on Castle and Oscar Nunez on the Office, just to name a few.

• the girl says:

Jennifer Hudson didn’t join Smash because she’s Black; she joined Smash because she’s an Academy Award winner with a huge American Idol following and an amazing voice. They needed to breathe new life and interest in the show and they used her star power to do it. Also, there are many Black Hispanics; look to Cuba and the east coast of Brazil for examples of Hispanics with African features. The enslavement of Africans did not only take place in the States. As a result it is believable for someone who looks like Hill Harper to have been born in South or Central America.

• Spencer says:

You are the one making it about race. Isn’t it possible that they liked the actor and thought he was right for the part? And you do realize that there are Afro Hispanic people, right? If his character is from Latin America (and not just a American who is working there, as the article implies), he could very well be both black and Hispanic.

• Luke says:

You do know that there are black Hispanics, too. In any case, Hispanic is considered an ethnicity and not a race. There are Hispanics of a variety of races.

• Sick of people like sue says:

My reply to this racist comment about adding African Americans to the show is, if you do not like it do not watch it. African Americans was brought to the United States by force. Made to build this country by force. If we make up a small amount of the population what does that have to do with someone acting? We are Americans our ancestors were from Africa. Hispanics, chose to come here for a better life. With that said I have no problem with adding African Americans and Hispanics in which the Asian population will be the majority population by 2020!

• Sydney says:

I think when you posted this, you very well knew that your post would be perceived as having to do with race. And it does. As an African American, I don’t think there are enough Blacks on television but I don’t through a fit every time they add another white person to a show when a black person could work just as well.
      Also, there is a such thing as a black Hispanic and just because his skin is dark, does not automatically equate a man to being African American.

8. Bella says:

His character didn’t really have that much to do lately. I can see why he’d want to move on. I love CSI New York, though, and it’s the only one of the franchise I’m still watching. I stopped watching CSI Miami first. Then the original CSI after that. I’d like to see CSI NY come back for another season.

• April says:

I love CSI:NY; but, I really lost a lot of interest after Stella’s character left. I loved her on the show and the dynamics it brought with the characters. I have gotten in Castle and Bones a lot now. I do still watch but it is not a pressing show to watch anymore.

9. It’s okay with me if they get rid of Sheldon…he was my least favorite of the characters. But, I hope CSI NY gets another season…I think it does well on Friday nights and none of the new shows sound all that exciting!

10. Cuddy's lawyer says:

His character isn’t too important! I hope CSI:NY will be renewed!

11. Svenska says:

Maybe they should have kept Jai. He sounds exactly like him. C’mon Covert Affairs! Maybe you should just bring in Eyal Lavin as a regular and bring his talent and hotness to spice things up.

• Yes! I am all for adding Eyal to the cast as a series regular =). I love Oded Fehr and I think that his character would add a lot to the show. Plus I still want to know what all of that secret talk was between him and his boss when they would meet late at night in the parking lots. It was obvious that he was using Annie, but it never said exactly why–what they were up to.

12. Michelle H. says:

Yay for new people! I think Season 4 is going to have an interesting new dynamic. Why can’t it be summer yet??

13. Stacy says:

While I am sad that ‘Hawkes’ won’t be around if CSI NY gets renewed, I am happy and excited for Hill joining the cast of Covert Affairs. As a C.A. fan, I honestly think he will be a great addition.

14. Chicago Dan says:

After 9 seasons, I’m sure his salary would be a factor in S10. So, I doubt that will impact renewal. Glad he got a gig.

15. Cassie says:

Well, they got rid of Jay. So someone has to come in . Personally I too liked Eyal Lavin. My 1st love is NCIS,Covert Affairs and Burn Notice .If CSI-NY goes maybe one could move over to that spot. Can’t wait till July;)

• I really wish that they would add Oded Fehr to the cast permanently. Btw, NCIS and Burn Notice are totally awesome =)!

• Svenska says:

I watch the show for Eyal Lavin as played by Oded Fehr. The episodes he has been in have been the best. Loved the end of the season when he was in almost every episode. Hated the ending though. The train station scene was painful and that incestuous kiss between the bff’s. Ick!

I hope we see a lot of Oded this year.

16. shutterbg says:

I’m disappointed that yet another character is jumping ship, I like him on CSI and he’s leaving before the show even gets canceled. Not the first time its happened and unfortunately probably won’t be the last. If the show was for sure canceled then that would be different.

17. C.E.Mathewson says:

I watched C.S.I. N.Y. last night,and the ending sure seems like the last.I hope it is not the end,it has been one of the best shows,and i really enjoy it.

18. robin vance says:

Bring CSI: NY back!!!!!!!!!!!! Including Hill!!!!!

19. Sonia says:

I kinda of got the impression that it was a series finally and not season finally also. Love this CSI the best and makes me sad to know that it may very well have been it for the show. CSI Las Vegas is not the same without Gil, Catherine or Worrick!

• Carm says:

They have been doing the season finales like series finales for the last few years because they never know if they will be renewed.

20. Svenska says:

The description of this new guy sounds very much like Jai, so why didn’t they just keep him around instead?

21. 平 裕子 says:

I reckon something really interesting about your website so I saved to favorites .