Ratings: Revenge Rebounds, Good Wife Dips to New Low, Amazing Race Slows But Tops Night

CHRISTA B. ALLEN, JOSH BOWMANOn a holiday weekend Sunday when TV usage was down 6 percent overall, both of ABC’s drama offerings rebounded from series lows.

Once Upon a Time‘s trip to “Manhattan” took along 7.5 million total passengers while netting a 2.3 demo rating, up 6 percent and a tenth from last week’s nadir. Likewise, Revenge (with 6 mil and a 1.8) surged 15 and 29 percent.

Capping ABC’s night, an encore of the Zero Hour premiere added 3.1 mil and a 0.9.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: The Son Also Rises

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Dead in the Water

Over on CBS, the 22nd running of The Amazing Race opened to 9.5 mil and a 2.4 — winning or tying for the Sunday lead on both counts, yet dipping to all-time lows for a season premiere. The Good Wife, while excellent, nonetheless dipped 9 percent and a tenth to 8.5 mil and a series-low 1.4, while The Mentalist fell 13 and 21 percent to 9.2 mil/1.5. (CBS’ numbers are subject to adjustment due to ever-so-slightly delayed start times.)

RELATED | The Good Wife Post Mortem: Matt Czuchry on What Makes Cary ‘Re-evaluate’ His Future

Fox’s The Cleveland Show (2.64 mil/1/1) dropped 21 percent in the demo, The Simpsons (4.6 mil/2.0) was flat, Bob’s Burgers (4.1 mil/1.9) ticked up a tenth, Family Guy (4.9 mil/2.4) tied TAR for the nightly demo win and American Dad (4.1 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth.

NBC ran repeats, with the second hour of some SNL special edging out Mentalist in the demo, 1.6 to 1.5.

RELATED | Downton Abbey Creator Defends [Spoiler]‘s Death, Reveals Length of Season 4 Time Jump

What were you tuned into this Sunday night?

1. HeatherC says:

Wow, I expected both Once Upon a Time and Revenge to uptick way more than that with such solid and highly anticipated episodes last night. So disappointing. =(

• Elyse says:

agreed! they both had amazing episodes!!!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m not sure what to make of Revenge’s numbers at this point – are the show’s lower numbers due to the show being on Sunday, or are numbers due to low viewer interest that is building up over time?

I still think the show would do better on Thursday nights/9pm, or maybe moved back to Wednesday, 10pm – and thus, leave Grey’s on Thursday [9 or 10pm] this fall.

But in my mind, Revenge cannot be left on Sunday this fall – not with these numbers. The show is still young, viewer interest can be high, they have a star-in-the-making for their lead, and yet these numbers don’t reflect that. ABC may have to do something here.

• Phil says:

Agreed! Sunday is not the right night for this show! I love Revenge….and this week was so good! I would like to see it on Wednesday after the comedy block!

2. Why is The Good Wife underperforming even after football season?

• elliemae says:

It’s a bad time slot. Too much competition during this time. I haven’t been able to watch it for a while. It may help some that Downton Abbey’s season has ended. We’ll see.

• drhenning says:

I think Downton took a big chunk of TGW traffic.. It draws from the same types… Now that Downton is done, the quality TV crowd will migrate back to TGW… Having missed too much really with all the specials…

• Elyse says:

same timeslot as the Walking Dead :(

• Vi says:

Exactly. I am now watching either by recording or on demand. I double checked my recording when 9 hit but was surprised to see the message that it wouldn’t start until 9:04 making my recording shut off before it was actually over. So tired of the late start times, maybe a lot of people are too. So maybe it will continue to be an on demand show. Walking dead is now my 9:00 live show, although I do love The Good Wife.

• drhenning says:

Another excellent point.. CBS seems to post their OD stuff pretty quickly… I too was recording TGW since I was out on Sunday night but got nailed by the Golf over-run.. However, CBS OD had the episode already up before midnight.. Another good thing CBS does is not block FF’ing On Demand which many of the other networks do to make you sit through commercials.. CBS doesn’t seem to sell any advertising anyway.. pretty much all promos…

3. Matt says:

Glad to see Revenge was up, but still hoping to see larger numbers.

4. Sarah says:

Somewhat dissapointed in the numbers for ‘Revenge.’ It’s good that it’s up from last week’s low, but it’s still not where it used to be or should be imo. I know much of the first half of the season wasn’t up to par, but the past few episodes have been excellent, perhaps some of the best episodes of the entire series, especially last night’s episode.

5. Mike says:

Is Walking Dead really that much of a beast or are Once and Revenge losing steam.

• Elyse says:

Walking Dead is really a beast. it shouldn’t hurt Once’s numbers as much as Revenge since it isn’t on until 9 so i think Once is losing some steam… its been a slow second season for Once.

• MaryAnn says:

Walking Dead’s numbers would be excellent even if it were on one of the big four networks, so yes, it is that much of a beast.

6. Missy Kelly says:

Last night’s episodes of OUAT, Revenge & The Good Wife exemply what good writing, acting, directing and editing can be on TV – All three episodes exceeded my expections! Congrats to Cast and Crew of those – Sunday night is the best night of TV all week

7. sara says:

Weren’t Once Upon a Time’s gross numbers like 3 or 4 million higher last year?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Exactly one year ago, ONCE did 9.7 mil and a 3.0.

• sara says:

Wow, so down pretty significantly. I was browsing the numbers and it seems it was averaging much closer to 10 million throughout last season with a lot of demos above 3.0 but these numbers seem pretty typical of Season 2.

8. Di says:

Someone PLEASE get The Good Wife off Sunday nights! Even after football season, the show has a delayed start. I’d like to see this show around for quite some time, but with its current time slot, I fear it is doomed.

9. nikki says:

It’s fun to blame to the audience leaving The Good Wife on its Sunday move. But the truth is, people wanted to watch the GOOD WIFE not the average law show where the married woman bangs her boss. That’s when a good show ended and became a soap opera.

• amanda says:

I’m sorry bt I don’t think I would have continued to watch the show if it was about an american wife and her good deeds there are more interesting things to do. The law firm drama is actually a hook to clever people anyhow Good Wife is more than that if you really watch the show.

• TV Gord says:

If that’s what The Good Wife is to you, I feel bad for you. You’re missing one of the best hours on television because Alicia and WIll had sex once.

10. Chicago Dan says:

TGW drops a FULL DEMO point from TAR. That’s pretty pathetic. REV for it’s heavily promoted episode can’t even crack a 2.0 and loses to FG and AD.

11. Dave says:

Pretty sure Downton Abbey & The Walking Dead can take credit for those low numbers

• MaryAnn says:

“Revenge” really needs to be moved to a different time slot where it doesn’t have to compete with these juggernauts. It would be a terrible shame if it were cancelled when all they have to do is move it to a different time slot.

12. Gio86 says:

Several reasons for the ABC shows not rising, Its a holiday, Revenge and Once Upon a Time have both been negatively effected by their scheduling, three straight episodes vs some of the biggest ratings events of the season, Golden Globes, NFC and Grammys.
    Also Downton Abby aired its last episode of the season last night and it shares the same viewers as Revenge. With Downton Abby and the big events out of the way, Revenge and Once will both get back to normal!

• Elyse says:

Revenge won’t have good numbers again until MAYBE after the Walking Deads season finale. i love Revenge but it’s just not up to par with TWD.

13. Yesterday's Child says:

I was bashed last May, when I totally thought that Revenge should never have moved into DH slot. Seriously if any fan thinks 1.8 ratings is looking good for serial series to get a syndication deal, then you are just being stubborn for not wishing it was in the same time slot as last year.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I do recall fans getting bashed last spring over this move of Revenge from Wednesday to Sunday, and although I wasn’t one of the people doing the bashing, I was one of the people who honestly thought moving Revenge into DHousewives time slot would be a good idea. But, I have to admit now, I may have been wrong. I think you may be proven right.

Next to Thursday at 9pm, I believe the Sunday 9pm slot is very important, and networks should place their best shows in these slots. Revenge fit that mold. However, the ratings results are not that good – Revenge should be doing better, and I can’t figure out why it isn’t.

Revenge has all the pieces in place – a dynamic, fun, fast moving storyline, a ‘guilty pleasure’ water-cooler vibe, and a lead actress who is a star-in-the-making. Emily VanCamp is going to be a star – she just signed on to join Cobie on the upcoming Captain America feature film. These two young actresses are going to be stars – both TV and feature films! Revenge should be doing at least 9-10million viewers and a 3.0 demo (like last season). Is the lack of ratings due to a second year sophomore slump, or a Sunday time slot that is not a good fit?

Anyone who can figure out how to remedy this Revenge ratings situation should be able to get hired by ABC! Maybe a move back to Wednesday, maybe to Thursday [my initial thought], but something has to give. Revenge has too much going for it to have to see these types of ratings.

• Kristina says:

From what I’ve seen of fan comments the decline in ratings has less to do with its time slot as it does the direction of the story this season. A lot of people are losing/have lost interest. This has even been addressed in interviews with the creator, and he felt the need to reassure fans the show will be getting back to something closer to the style of season 1. Personally I’m fine with it either way, but I suspect this is at least some of the problem.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

That’s a good point – I realize that many times I’m more of a ‘casual viewer’ of TV series and not able to dig down into some of these shows that are seeing a decline in storyline. That’s why I love these blogs like TVLine – it helps me catch up on some of the details of shows that I may be missing. No question about it though – Revenge is a show worth enjoying and worth ensuring it has a long life – if that includes better storyline and script, that’s what needs to be done. If more is needed [change in day &/or time], that’s worth investigating as well if need be.

14. Alicia says:

Wonder if there has been a difference in Downton’s ratings since the DVDs of the season were released a few weeks ago? I wonder how many people bought them and haven’t watched the airings on PBS since. I know I did. Maybe lower ratings would prompt PBS to show it sooner. The network shows are usually on hiatus in December, it would be the perfect time to start it and get a chance to finish airing it before DVDs would be released.

15. Rachel says:

Pretty disappointed about the Good Wife dropping. Last night was, in my opinion, one of the best episodes so far this season. Ever since they got rid of God awful Nick, the show has steadily gotten back to it’s Season one form.

16. Terry S says:

Good Wife is probably hurt by going three weeks without a new episode. If they ran the how straight without so many preemptions it would do better. Also, I bet it does better when DVRs are factored in

17. TMW says:

Sad to say I’m nor surprised by Revenge’s dwindling numbers. Kelley and the showrunners have simply made very bad choices with storytelling and casting since Nolan was murdered on the beach.

• Mike says:

You mean Tyler? I stopped watching but Nolan was the best.

• TMW says:

Oops, yes, I meant Tyler, of course. I think everything after that has been dire. And I’m one of those who think it should have been Daniel who ended up dead. It would have sent the storylines spinning into more compelling directions.

18. forwarddad says:

CBS can’t continue to schedule GW like they do and expect good results. They put this on every other week. It’s been two weeks since last nights episode and it won’t be on again next week due to the academy awards. What do they expect?

19. luli says:

Dissaponted with revenge numbers. Yesterday’s episode was probably one of the best of the entire series. Heartbreaking and intense!

20. Tran says:

Last night’s Amazing Race was anything but AMAZING especially what happens when the last three teams had to take a 4 hour penalty for not completing a task on the Roadblock challenge. Sad to see the firefighting duo go down in flames. :-(

21. Joe Smith says:

maybe if they air “the good wife” at the scheduled time rhe ratings would stabalize

22. Frenzz says:

ABC killed Revenge with its bad programmation.
    Just like Brothers & Sisters a few years ago.

23. Beth says:

Love love love Revenge. Last night’s episode was so entertaining. We will miss you Fauxmanda! Hope the ratings go up. Where would we be without all the beautiful people of the Hampton’s? The best show for watching new style tips. Madeleine Stowe never looked more radiant. .

24. cjeffery7 says:

Are there ratings for Beyonce’s HBO Doc on Saturday?? I’m just curious.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

You may have already gotten this info, but just in case – Beyonce’s HBO Doc ratings last Saturday were – 1.8m viewers [good number for HBO] – numbers on 18-49 demo are still to come. Not sure how many days it will take for HBO and Nielsen to crank those demo numbers. They may be trying to wait to also tally any DVR+ and DVR+3 numbers, which actually makes sense – lots of DVR/PVR recording of shows on Saturday nights.

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

I spent the evening watching the WGA Awards online. I was so thrilled to see Louie win best written comedy, Portlandia win best sketch comedy, and Girls win best new show. I was so bummed to see Homeland and Moonrise Kingdom lose their categories. Good for Argo though. Zero Dark Thirty was another decent winner. And if I’m being fair, I can’t be upset about the two wins Breaking Bad got, even if they did beat Homeland in both the episodic and series categories. Lots of good nominees last night.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I boo-booed here as I often and embarrassingly intend to do. Mad Men won for best episode, not Breaking Bad. I think I was confusing another awards ceremony with the WGA where Breaking Bad won something for best episode. It was probably the ACE Awards I was thinking of, I believe they won for best edited episode there. Anyway, just wanted to correct myself before someone else got a chance to do it.

26. As The Mentalist and The Good Wife flunk, hope for CSI:NY season 10 surges! ;)

27. shar says:

The Good Wife had one of it’s best episodes, minus Will and Alicia kissing, I do not like them together. I felt bad for Cary. I was glad Alicia and Cary did beat Diane and Will in the mock trial.

28. JoyAnne says:

The Mentalist and The Good Wife are being clobbered by such lousy time slots. Get these two shows off of Sunday. We never know what time we will be able to watch them and if you set DVR it is a disaster. Go to watch and you get parts of both shows as the channels do not adjust. Set 10pm for The Mentalist and the DVR records whatever is on the TV at that time. Put these two shows back into decent time slots so that we can relax, watch & enjoy them.