Preview: Once Upon a Time's Search for Bae Will Leave Viewers 'In a Tumultuous Situation'

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

OnceUponaTime_0217_EmmaRumpleThis Sunday on Once Upon a Time (ABC, 8/7c), though Mr. Gold and Emma’s jaunt to New York City is at the fore, flashbacks to Rumplestiltskin in the fairytale land that was will leave viewers of the series with a most unwelcome souvenir.

But first, there’s the matter of finding Rumple’s son Baelfire, who apparently wound up in the Big Apple after being sent to our realm — without his father — in Season 1′s “The Return.”

“When I first read this script, it sort of felt like a season finale,” raves Jennifer Morrison, whose onetime bail bondswoman helps suss out Bae. “So much that has been building up for so long happens all at once in this episode. It’s definitely a payoff to a lot of questions.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line Has Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s Trip to ‘Manhattan’

Of course, forever-speculating Once fans have their theories on Bae. But as Rumplestiltskin (played by Robert Carlyle) learns this week in flashback, just because you think you know what’s going to happen, that doesn’t mean you know what’s going to happen. “That is really true,” Morrison affirms. “[Series creators] Eddy [Kitsis] and Adam [Horowitz] did an incredible job of setting up the circumstances for everything to come out in a very particular way. I didn’t see it all coming this way at all.”

Because, for example, if Rumplestiltskin reunites with his boy, it won’t necessarily be “happy to see me.” Instead, a rather complicated father/son talk may be on tap. Morrison, for one, is a huge fan of delving into such dysfunction. “What drew me to this show in the first place, and what I always loved the most about it, is when we go deeper into the relationships of the people that we got to know initially,” she says.

Giving the storyline added gravitas is the fact that it plays out away from Storybrooke in New York City, an environment without magic (sparkly Times Square billboards notwithstanding). So when words need to be had and as problems demand to be hashed out, Once transforms into (almost) your typical TV drama.

“That is a big difference about this particular episode,” Morrison notes. “On this show there is a lot of heightened, sort of fantastical elements, so it is an interesting relief to ‘take a breath’ in the real world, where there is no magical solution to something. It’s just real people with real problems, and they’re going to have to deal with it.”Once Upon a Time Season 2 Spoilers

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Brings [Spoiler] Back

All told, Morrison says that when father and son do come face to face, “It’s incredibly emotional” — for Rumple, at least. For Bae, however, “It’s everything he’s worked so hard to avoid for his entire life. So, there’s conflict and love going on at the same time in that moment.”

Speaking of conflict: As alluded to above, the episode’s flashbacks pack as much of a punch as the New York City story, when Rumplestiltskin’s stint in the Ogre Wars is rerouted by a run-in with a blind seer. That storyline plays out in a way that not only explains how things went sour between the spinner and his wife Milah (and reveals where he got his limp), but also drops in viewers’ laps a bombshell they never saw coming nor thought to expect.

“It definitely puts the audience in a very tumultuous situation, in terms of being in on that piece of information and constantly sort of waiting for this thing to jump out around the corner,” Morrison teases. “It’s an incredible element of suspense that’s been built into upcoming episodes.”

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (43)

• Are they trying to make it sound like Bae WON’T be Henry’s dad? I will believe it when I see it.

Comment by Steve – February 15, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol good point i agree with you

Comment by david – February 15, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. They aren’t fooling me. Yet.

Comment by Melinda – February 15, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It sounds almost like Bae may not be Rumple’s son

Comment by Giselle Alexandra – February 15, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I was thinking too and also I still think that Bae will not turn out to be Henry’s father I think if anything that Neal is bae’s son and Bae has died leaving Neal to be Rump’s grandson not Son

Comment by girlinmd – February 15, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seems pretty obvious that Bae is Henry’s dad at this point. It would be stupid to not make them the same person at this point due to all the potential story they have if they are one in the same.

“even though you know what’s going to happen, doesn’t mean you know what’s going to happen” probably means that just because we meet Bae, doesn’t mean we know what will happen with Bae.

Comment by Kavyn – February 15, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worst kept secret…EVER…This season started out so strong but I’ve been predicting just about every beat…

Comment by Josh – February 15, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by Rachel – February 15, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole article just gave me a headache LOL

Comment by Summer – February 15, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With this info I will NOT read the recap before watching!

Comment by Olivia – February 15, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol I’ve never heard of someone reading a recap before actually watching an episode. That would spoil everything.

Comment by A – February 15, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I usually do that if I miss an episode and then watch it latter. Spoilers have never really impacted how much I enjoy a show.

Comment by Maggie – February 15, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I see. A few spoilers for me here and there don’t bother me, but I would just wait till I can watch the whole episode rather than know every single detail. Anyways, really excited and hope this episode lives up to they hype and I’m really glad they’re not leaving the reveal to the finale.

Comment by A – February 15, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find that spoilers only tell half the story – you really need to watch the episode to get the full impact of what happened.

Comment by majamababe – February 16, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate being hyped up for these things, lol

Comment by Tony – February 15, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happens, I’ll keep myself calm. The articles that have come out about the episode, they are putting people in a panic.

Comment by xelaMsrM (@xelaMsrM) – February 15, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Neal is Bae, great. If Bae is someone else and the answer blows our socks off, great. All I want to know is what in the world was in August’s box that made Neal believe in magic in 4 seconds but yet it took Emma 22 freaking episodes.

Comment by chris – February 15, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Inside the box was a…plot contrivance!

Comment by xav – February 15, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My bet is that this particular plot contrivance was a magic bean… which would also explain how August managed to disappear without a trace after last season’s finale.

Comment by Alia – February 15, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That makes more sense than any other theory I’ve heard, since it’s something Bae would recognize.

Comment by taran63 – February 15, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dorothy’s red shoes or the frog from princess frog is my guess

Comment by Kelly – February 15, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL-I’m with you, Chris.

Comment by Dawn – February 15, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m betting the blind seer has a prophecy about how Rumplestiltskin will either kill or get killed by his grandchild.

Comment by Corinthian Leather – February 15, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I can totally see something of this sort coming…

Comment by Summer – February 15, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless Bae absolutely despises Rumple for doing all the horrific things he’s done in Bae’s name and doesn’t want to be involved with him for a very, very long time, I’m not really all that interested. Especially if Bae happens to be Neal so we can wax on about how important it is that Henry knows his biological family and just forgets about his real mother.

Comment by xav – February 15, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All this talk about “real family” (read: bio family) on the show is really disconcerting.

Comment by Kay – February 15, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d actually like them to focus more on Regina&Snow. They weren’t bio family but loved their bond early on and wish regina would get over her misplaced cora emotions and have more one on one interaction with snow.

Comment by Kelly – February 15, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds exciting! The thing is, if Neal isn’t Bae, then who is he and why have I seen some behind-the-scenes photos of Michael Raymond-James in SB with a sword?

Comment by James – February 15, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Bae was switched at birth and Greg is his real son,lol

Comment by Misty – February 15, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am so excited to see neal again. i hope we get good neal/henry scenes and if he is bae some good neal/gold scenes. i’m bettng the twist has to do with henry’s future that gold thought was about bae but is abou his grandson

Comment by Patti – February 15, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The question is does Neal have a girlfriend because they cast Tamara and we saw behind the scenes pictures of her in new york and now in storybrooke during the upcoming august episode

Comment by Kelly – February 15, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny with all the rewrites and changes Horowitz and Kitsis do, they still can’t manage to surprise anyone, just piss off people who wish they’d stop rewriting mythology in the attempt.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – February 15, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bombshell? Either Regina is Snow’s sister or Milah’s a MAN, baby! (That would be a most unwelcome souvenir for Hook!) Could be about Henry and/or Rumple’s demise or something to do with that creepy pact with Cora. I’m gonna guess that Tamara is Tinkerbell. Just because Pan’s not around this season, doesn’t mean Tink can’t show up to annoy Hook, right?

Comment by ej – February 15, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds to me almost like Bae isn’t Rumpel’s biological son…either they couldn’t have kids, or, well, we all know how seriously Milah took her wedding vows. Regardless, Rumpel obviously loves Bae very much.

Comment by Dawn – February 15, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see how Bae not being Rumple’s biological son would matter that much. Obviously Rumple loves him anyway. I really don’t think that’s it. I’m more inclined to believe that the Seer told him that his son or grandson would destroy him. Or my personal theory I’ve had for a while is that Regina is Rumple’s daughter.We know that she is the baby he was promised in the original Rumple story and the way Cora kissed him seems like they may have been intimate at some point. It would explain his interest in her when he taught her magic but not him wanting to destroy her presently. It would be a game changer tho.

Comment by tracy84 – February 15, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also think that Regina could be Rumpelstiltskin’s daughter.

Comment by Dawn – February 16, 2013 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So very excited to watch this episode, thanks for sharing this post! It just made things seem even more interesting & makes me really want to dive into this Sunday sooner. I look forward to these twists & seeing more back story.

Comment by divinerush ღ – February 16, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Dívíne Rush and commented:
    Can’t wait till Sunday! Once Upon A Time, getting so good!

Comment by divinerush ღ – February 16, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a big fan of Neal — am I the only one?? Also, I will be very disappointed if Bae is not Rump’s son. I really like that element of the show and I don’t want it to change. That said, Regina being his daughter could be interesting too, but I still want Bae to be his bio son.

Comment by Seuss – February 16, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t fully made up my mind yet because we haven’t seen very much of him. But I didn’t care much for him in ‘Tallahassee’. Too sleazy and too little backbone for my taste. Makes it very hard for me to see Baelfire in him, too.
      I always liked the idea that Henry’s father was NOT a good guy. Now I expect them to put all the blame on August. I hope I’m wrong, but the writing this season seems to prefer solutions like that.

Comment by Mari – February 17, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am not a Neal fan either. I think it is because of his role on True Blood. He will always be a creep to me.

Comment by Melissa – February 17, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is turning out to be quite the tragedy. I’d have expected Baelfire to grow up more respectable than he did. And the little prophecy isn’t looking well for old Rumple.

Comment by Kay – February 17, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We all knew who rumble son was in the season two opener. Now the question is will he go back to stroybrook or stay in new York and fight for his son? And w What will happen? When. He find out. The real truth about his mother death. Will hook finally get his revenge when tells BA this. I believe coar. Will never change and regana will have no choice but to kill her on mother. As Henry he maybe the next dark lord if he kills rumble. Which he might have to do if rumble put. His mother and father in danger. Also I believe. Regana is rumble daughter as well. Let’s not forget they had history and rumble would never let any one just kiss him besides bell and his a lot older than any of them. I believe some will stay in new York. Or story brook. And the rest will take hook ship back to.fairy tell land. Who do you think will stay and leave or die when the arroyo ends. P.S. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE. MAD HAtter. Prince charming stepfather’s. Cinderella her baby. Hansel and Gretel. Regain flunky they just. Disappeared.

Comment by Debra mobley – February 18, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post