Grey's Recap: Take This Job and Shove It

blogThis week on Grey’s Anatomy, Bailey becomes so disgusted by the prospect of working for Pegasus Horizons that she tells Arizona that she’s going to quit. And, just as the hospital’s sale is about to go through, someone else actually tenders their resignation. And someone else. And someone else. And… let me explain:

LIKE A VIRGIN | After yet another make-out session with April, Matt the Dreamy Paramedic asks her out on a date that won’t take place in his ambulance. In turn, she freaks, running to Jackson, of all people, for advice on how to explain that she’s a virgin who, for a while there… um, wasn’t. He responds flippantly, then thoughtfully. Then it hardly seems to matter, because it turns out Matt’s a virgin, too. (What does seem likely to matter is the fact that April doesn’t disclose that she’s not only done the nasty but quite a lot of it.)

ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO STEPS BACK | Throughout the hour, Jo seems to be trying to discourage herself from getting involved with Alex. “Office romances” never amount to anything, she says, citing his checkered past as ample evidence. In turn, he speaks basically three words: Derek and Meredith. (Can’t argue with that, eh, Jo?) Of course, in the end, we – and Alex – find out that he isn’t the colleague Jo was thinking of dating, it’s some new guy with the nickname Chest Pecwell.

THE OTHER WOMAN | Cristina doesn’t think anything of Alana texting Owen at 3 a.m., but aren’t the rest of us starting to see the writing on the wall? When the nurses threaten to strike, Alana gives Owen the pep talk that he needs to give the nurses the pep talk that they need. He and his reassuring presence, she adds, even gave her the courage that she needed to return to the OR (after choking years ago).

QUITTING TIME | For much of the episode, Derek, Meredith, Callie and Arizona go around and around on the subject of buying Seattle Grace, with Arizona being the primary holdout. But, after she learns that Bailey’s got one foot out the door, she changes her tune to “Where do I sign?” For her part, Cristina laughs (heartily) at the scheme – at first. However, once she realizes that Owen only thinks Pegasus Horizons is the best option because it’s the only option, she gets with the program, too. But wait – surprise! The Fab Five don’t have days to get their ducks lined up after all, they have, like, minutes! The sale is underway! How can they stop it? By resigning, one right after the other. Devastated, Owen demands that Alana salvage the sale – somehow. You have to, he says. And I quote: “You are all that I have now.” (Now do you see the writing on the wall?)

Okay, your turn. What did you think? If you were in Arizona’s shoes, would you have gone along with the plan to buy the hospital from the start? If you were Cristina, would you have quit on Owen? (Wouldn’t the gang’s plan have worked even if she hadn’t quit?) And how dumb of April was it not to be honest with Matt when everybody knows about her fling with Jackson? Sound off below!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Amy says:

Who was the actress who played the mom of the baby Alex operated on? Driving me crazy

2. Lori says:

I may be way off base, but I thought I saw a bit of smirk from Owen when the all resigned, as if he was thinking – I know what you guys are doing.

3. the girl says:

The quitting would have been even more effective if they had gotten Bailey, Webber, and those two interns to quit also. Throw in some (all?) of the surgical nurses and there wouldn’t be anything to salvage. The more people to replace, the less likely it would be that anything could have been done about it.

In other news, thank GOD that Jo is dating someone whose name is NOT Alex Karev. And thank GOD that Meredith and Cristina were (are?) better at coming up with nicknames than this new group of interns. I mean really. Chest Pecwell??

I have no doubt that they will be able to come up with the rest of the money. Callie and Derek are already pretty wealthy and I imagine Arizona isn’t doing too shabby either. Even if they have to take out a mortgage or equity on the homes or something they should be okay. Meredith still has her house she can sell. There are lots of options here.

4. cris says:

I was really hoping you’d say: “if you were in Arizona’s shoe”

5. Thedoc617 says:

Owen and Cahill? Gross! Owen only belongs with Cristina

• Lilly says:

Amen to that!

• Alichat says:

THANK YOU!

• GS says:

No he doesn’t! They are ridiculous! They end their marriage b/c she doesn’t want children and he does but they are miraculously ok now that they are divorced?? The basic problem still exists and won’t have a different outcome. Totally stupid storyline and they are gross together! Let the Alana chick have him!

• Brian says:

I agree. Owen and Christina never belonged together. Shonda didn’t know what to do after Issiah Washington was fired so she just threw them together to fill the void and it’s always seemed forced to me.

• Ninna says:

Agreed. And I can’t believe she’s putting in jeopardy her life and career for a guy that when is not happy with her goes to whores on Joe’s Wall. It’s only a matter of time that the blonde’s sniffer stray up again. He’s not trustable. And don’t be afraid Owen, feel free to cheat again on her bc she’ll receive you open arms as if nothing happened. Cristina used to be one of my favorite characters but now I only feel disdain for her.

• Ninna says:

Let the blonde slut come back and have him!

• Emma says:

Disagree. How can someone who wants children and someone who doesn’t want children ever live happily ever after?!

• Alicia says:

Thank You!!!! After everything they have been through…

6. With the amount of tension going on between Derek and Arizona this episode, they should have just gotten a room to sort out their issues.

7. nibbles says:

Agreed. Very insightful. April shouldn’t have lied to her new guy. She is not a virgin anymore. Get over it. Cahill is positioned as Hunt’s love interest. I’ve been thinking that since she first came on the show. Hunt is going to be furious with Cristina now, and that will give Cahill the opportunity to come back and get cozy. But, it’ll be a little weird to see them couple up, but whatever… it’s not like Cristina is going to ever give Hunt what he wants in the long run anyway. I’m over CO. They give me headaches. I use to love them.
    Callie and Derek are too emotional. I was hoping Arizona and Cristina wouldn’t have caved so quickly. They’re the most cool headed. In the end, the docs hearts are in the right place, they just don’t know diddy about finding investment, businessymanagement and running a hospital. It’s going to be a steep learning curve. They should have asked Owen to resign and he can go in with them…never mind, he’ll probably get sued by the board if he did.

• Rose says:

Well, April isn’t a BIOLOGICAL virgin anymore. I checked online and it seems that there is such a thing as “revirginizing” in the spiritual sense. After all, not all nuns and priests were virgins when they took their vows.

She should have ‘fessed up, though.

• Alicia says:

They could always go ask Addison Shephard over at Private Practice how to do this. ;)

8. Mary says:

funny u keep pushing the owen/cahill scenario when zimmer tweeted herself about two days ago only two more episodes of Cahill. Not to mention she is also on the House of Cards which is Netflixs most popular series right now. I call bull on this theory if u can even call it that. owen didnt hide the text at all drom cristina he even talked about it with her. not to mention shonda herself said this season is about OC finding their way back.

9. mediana says:

I think the fab.five must buy the seatle grace coz that place is where they all grown to become great doctors,become family n a place where they become better human being. They can’t let owen sells the hospital.

10. Ang says:

Actually Arizona is part of the reason they are in this boat. If she hadn’t been a *itch towards Alex when she found out he was actually considering other offers and booted him off of the plane and jumped on, they wouldn’t have had 3 attendees on board and the insurance would have paid instead of the hospital. Derrick should have thrown that at her.

• Olivia says:

Actually they are in this position because of Owen so don’t be blaming Arizona furthermore they could have taken the settlement from the airlines instead of deciding to go to court. Also I am so freaking sick and tired of this frigging story line I don’t care anymore lets focus more on the medicine and the docs lives.

• Ang says:

Yes Owen is partially at fault too for not researching the airline and relying on his staff’s suggestion, but Arizona was on the plane because she wanted to punish Alex for doing what he should have been doing at that point in his career. That being said, if you ask me, the airline was at fault. They should have been the ones to pay and put out of business. I don’t like the idea of them owning the hospital. I’m over this story line as well.

11. Karen says:

Jo just up and broke my heart along with Alex’s. Did not see that one coming. Here’s hoping Alex’ future at some point will look a bit brighter on the love-front

• Mary says:

No I didn’t see that one coming at all. And that’s not to say they won’t be together. It’s just going to take longer.

• Alicia says:

I’m still hoping Izzy (Katherine Hiegel) stops making movies and comes back to patch things up with Alex. Guess I should let it go.

12. Ana says:

This is a very half-hearted review. I think this was the best episode of the season, so far. There was the tension of the hospital sale. The secret meetings with the ‘fab 5′ which I absolutely love because they and Owen are the core of the show, IMO. Alex always seems to be in a supporting role as are Bailey and Webber. It was good to see the disagreements and a real show of emotions for once. These doctors always seem to be so polite with each other. Bland, really. Callie, as always, delivered the funny. Finally Lexie’s part of the settlement was mentioned as was the fact that Callie does in fact have money, almost a million bucks, no less. That coupled with Arizona’s comment about ‘if your parents would have made you work a summer’ just brought back the fact that Callie is in fact a trust fund baby. Something that was overlooked with all her previous concern about the money which was really OOC because from the beginning Callie was never one to give money a place of preeminance in her life. LOVED that the interns were in the background playing the supporting roles without taking over the A stories. Wish that it would stay that way. That closing scene with April kind of broke the momentum of the hospital situation. I think it should have been placed a bit earlier. And Tony Phelan, IMO, did a fantastic job directing this episode as did Bill Harper in writing it. Would that the Shondaland gods continue to focus on the central characters and develop more compelling and dramatic arcs. Like Bailey fighting for that little kid which was heart breaking.

• Snsetblaze says:

Callie can also approach her family. In her early season, it was mentioned that her family was wealthy. I can’t remember if she was disinherited when she came out.

• Alicia says:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Callie’s father pull the trust fund when she revealed she was a lesbian?

13. shuayb says:

Can we please get someone else to do the recaps for Grey’s? This guy hardly reviews anything… Its so sparse its not funny!

14. Russ says:

I loved the van scene and that guy scaring the crap out of Callie.

15. CC says:

Your insinuations about Owen and Cahill are not going to happen. Cahill’s final episode is next week. Also, Constance Zimmer, the actress tweeted a couple of weeks ago that she is not a love interest for anyone in the show.

• Rosa says:

And you do not even know how much I regret it. I wish so much Cahill would vanish from my screen and take Owen trawl, very in love with each other into the sunset to never comeback.

16. maayanelson says:

for some starnge reason, i have a feeling that the name they’ll choose for the company is Slexi inc. or something like that

17. kayla says:

By having the ‘fab 5′ resign, don’t they have enough money to buy the hospital now? It was said in an earlier episode (early as in season 2) that Derek makes 2 million a year. Add that to whatever the other 4 attendings make and they should have enough… Right?

18. GS says:

While I do think the “hospital falling apart” story is FINALLY getting interesting, I don’t understand why they didn’t tell Webber. He has to be loaded and he would be great to help run the hospital after all his years being Chief. While I’m glad April and the cute EMT are together (love Justin B), I am so over her saying she is a virgin again. She is a freaking doctor and knows that once you have sex, you are no longer a virgin. You can choose to abstain but you don’t miraculously become a virgin again because you decide not to have sex anymore. She sounds like an idiot 16 yr old when she says that crap. Jackson was right to make fun of her. I might be the only one but I want Alex with Jo. They make sense. None of his other love interests ever made sense.

19. Jen says:

This episode was just plainly IDIOTIC. They turned Matt from an extra cute, romantic guy into a wimpy.

He could’ve simply said he wanted to wait to have sex because he really liked her. You don’t need to be a virgin not to want to jump in somebody’s pants right away, and that line was WAY artefact.

I don’t care he’s a virgin, it’s just the way they made him say that…it makes it so obvious they’re pushing Japril back together. This show just gives me the nerves.

Epic, ginormous FAIL!

• Alex says:

That sure came out of the blue…I don’t understand the urge to make Matthew say that, either. They could’ve found more believable reasons for him to wait, and I agree, he seems the kind of guy who would not have sex with someone right away even without being virgin.

What’s really bugging me though is April’s behaviour: you’re not a virgin anymore, get the friggin heck over it and stop complaining. She’s always been annoying to me anyway, so I kind of expected that.

• Ann says:

I DO care he’s a 30-year-old virgin man in 2013. Seriously, guys? Not saying you should be doing it at 14 but come on, that plot was unbelievable. They messed up his whole character in just one sentence.

Ah, poor Justin Bruening…

• Alicia says:

Actually he said I’m saving myself for marriage. I don’t believe he ever said he was a Virgin. Maybe he revirginized too.

20. Amanda says:

Am I the only one who does not care one bit about April’s love life?

• Emma says:

No, I’m with you there! I dislike the April character immensely. She had the supreme eye candy that is Jackson willing to do anything for her and she shat on him. She’s certifiable!

21. Bob says:

Who cares? This show is toast.

22. AmbidextrousAspie says:

So Bailey, who whined at the survivors because “some of us don’t have millions to fall back on” is the first wanting to quit? Um…..

And April, I think the religion you follow also has an issue with lying, dear.

• Ninna says:

She wasn’t lying she was omitting. It’s different. And she doesn’t have to tell him that she has made a mistake(of religious point of view) right away. Further down the line she might tell him. But for now this belongs to her intimacy and until it’s proved they’re a thing she better keep it for herself.

• Stew says:

What the heck are you talking about, she clearly stated she was saving herself too when she obviously didn’t.

This is even dumber than the “having sex with a ghost” thing.

Since George and Izzie left the show started going way downhill. Calzona, Japril, Cahil, new interns…who cares about these people? Stop introducing new characters for Pete’s sake.

• Ninna says:

I’m saying she didn’t state she was a virgin. She said she wanted to save herself for the marriage. In her point of view this was her initial purpose, she made a mistake(or several with J) but she regretted it and chose to ‘revirginazing’ herself again. She clearly became pleasantly surprised that this guy is the one able to help her to keep that initial commitment. Not virgin anymore but still saving herself bc she hasn’t been having sex. In my mind this perfectly makes sense, unless the word ‘saving’ has a double meaning that I don’t know since I’m not a native speaker.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

She flat out lied. He had the courage to say he was a virgin, she did not. He believes she IS a virgin, therefore, she lied. Not the best way to build a relationship on trust, hope he dumps her.

23. Emma says:

That was a great episode! I LOL’ed at their names for the new LLC…
    Cristina – the bitter pills
    Arizona – epic failure
    Grey – death spiral
    McDreamy – the blind leading the blind
    hahaha, can’t wait to see where this all goes, should be fun!

24. soxfan says:

LOVED last nights episode – poor Owen – everything he is doing to keep the nurses & doctor’s happy – not liking the sale of the hospital but he knows it has to be done & trying to keep his relationship with Cristina on an even keel has totally unraveled right before his eyes. LOVED the van scene with the financial advisor answering each doctor’s questions & informing them of how things would work. I can see how sad this is making Cristina & their relationship has just taken another hard hit with her quitting on Owen … again. She quit on their marriage & now this. Though WE all know why she & all the dr’s are doing it & I know they couldn’t tell him for the reasons given. I am all for April & the hunky paramedic – she withheld information from him – that is not lying – she just didn’t tell him she is no longer a virgin, but it will be found out. And I really DIG a 30 year old guy or gal waiting for marriage. What is so wrong about that? I think they had him tell her so that she knew upfront where he was coming from as they were getting a bit heated up with their making out. I agree, wish Webber & Bailey & the interns would have been included. When they name their “company” – will the hospital need a new name as well? And for myself, I do not see the Alex/Jo pairing at all. I am wondering if “the one for Alex” will come out of “nowhere.” That’s the kind of storyline I am looking for. Doesn’t mean I’m going to get it!! :-)

• Jen says:

They suggest the idea a guy (or a girl, that is) can’t refrain from having sex unless he’s a virgin. THAT is what is wrong. From their point of view an experienced guy lacks the ability to wait, just look at Grey’s Anatomy history. They had the chance to show something unusual -something every girl would like, a comprehensive man- and they messed it up. He’s not doing it not because he cares about her feelings and respects them, but just cause he CAN’T. And that is quite annoying IMO.

• Qhorin says:

Poor Owen?! everything he is doing is for himself first, to soften his guilt because he is not a such great guy as he is selling himself.

25. Lori says:

I’m glad they cleared up that Thatcher got some/all of Lexie’s portion of the settlement. Love the intern defacing Derek’s face at his request.

26. grey's fan says:

Shouldn’t Mark’s other daughter, Sloane, get part of his money?

27. Caro says:

Alana/Owen – yeah, I noticed, too. :(
    Loved the Derek posters and Der making what’s-his-name trash them one by one. LOL!

28. Sarabi says:

Whether or not this hospital buying storyline is a good idea, it’s nice to finally see those five attendings work together. If only they could somehow throw Alex, Bailey and Webber into the mix, so we can finally have the semioriginal cast as the main, and dare I say, only focus. Without the interns, without Jackson and April.

29. AJB says:

Was the music in this episode incredibly odd? Up until the last few scenes I thought it was incredibly distracting.

30. emma says:

So sick of Owen, Cahill, Arizona and Callie. The show should focus on the originals.

31. I actually hope that Owen and Cahill hook up so that him and Cristina have some ACTUAL drama to deal with – instead of of ‘aww you wanted a divorce for ME after all?’ and ‘awww you quit for ME after all?’. Previews for next week show Cristina saying ‘it’s done’ or ‘it’s over’ or something. Is she talking hospital business or her and Owen?

Also – to address complaints that the show should focus on the ‘originals’. Totally disagree. Meredith, Derek and Christina are great, but Alex bores me to death. And Weber is awesome, but is at his best when interacting with OTHER characters – like Avery or Callie especially. I’m a big fan of Owen, Avery, Callie and even starting to like April more and more this season.

I do like how they are taking the BIG characters – Derek, Mere, Cristina, Arizona and Callie – and possibly putting them in charge as the board of directors. I think it opens them up for a lot of drama + the conflicts of authority when it comes to others who have been around just as long (Weber, Alex, Owen).

32. GloW says:

What’s the name of Jo Wilson’s boyfriend?