Once Upon a Time Recap: New York, Giants

Get More: Recaps

COLIN O'DONOGHUE, JOSH DALLASThis Sunday on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, a familiar face surfaced in Storybrooke carrying a giant grudge, the first leg of Mr. Gold’s road trip took an unsettling detour and a seed was planted for the fairytale land characters to one day return home.

RELATED | Casting News: [Spoiler] Is Returning to Once Upon a Time

ON THE ROAD…. | Mr. Gold came calling for Emma, to begin their search for his son Bae, and Emma insisted that Henry come along. Wearing the “talisman” shawl around his neck, Gold survived the first hurdle — actually crossing the town line — but an unexpected test came at Logan Airport, when a TSA agent insisted he remove the article. Gold was anxious about taking off the shawl, but he appeared to endure the brief separation fine enough — until later in a washroom, when he purposely blooded his hand but could no longer heal it. Once on the plane — an Ajira Airlines (!) flight to New York City — Emma took note of Gold’s bandaged hand, while Henry seemed determined to plug a certain cinnamon danish chain.

IN STORYBROOKE…. | David and Mary Margaret are determined to find Cora, but first bump into Regina, who is “shocked” to learn that her mother Cora crossed realms, and that Archie is in fact alive. The Charmings meet up with a recouping Captain Hook on the pier, then board his ship looking for clues to Cora’s whereabouts. There, Hook “reveals” to them one of Cora’s weapons — a captured, shrunken giant. Upon being freed, Anton believes to recognize David and begins pummeling the prince, After a bow-toting Mary Margaret intervenes, Anton storms off to terrorize the quaint burg — helped in that cause by Regina, who gives him a magic mushroom to return to his giant size.

In the hospital, Ruby greets amnesic Belle, who gets into a tizzy and needs to be tranq’d whenever she thinks about what she saw that night, with Mr. Gold and the ball of fire, his magically healing hands and all. Greg Mendel, the wayward driver, overhears, then later tells Belle he saw the same fireball.

David interrupts Anton’s rampage to explain that he is not his twin brother James, while Mary Margaret somewhat successfully plays upon the big guy’s recent run-in with Emma (who’s sadly “out of town” at this instant). The giant remains riled, so David offers himself in trade for all the others. Just as Anton takes the deal, he simultaneously falls through a sinkhole and shrinks back down. David enters the chasm to save the stranger, and then they all make merry at Granny’s. When Mary Margaret notes that they, like Anton, miss their old land, the giant reveals a beanstalk cutting handed down to him by his brother Arlo. With it, they could grow new magic beans and traverse back home — for anyone who wants to. The dwarfs agree to protect the crop from Cora (“Work is work,” Leroy shrugs), and they bestow Anton with his own axe, which emblazons itself with the nickname “Tiny” — just as Anton’s brothers called him.

After, Mary Margaret beams about the fun they had, how she misses their adventures. “We could do it all the time,” David counters, alluding to his want to go back home. Mary Margaret, though, doesn’t wish to separate from daughter Emma again.

RELATED | PaleyFest 2013: Which Stars Have RSVP’d for the Once Upon a Time Panel?

IN THE FAIRYTALE LAND THAT WAS…. | We learn that Anton’s bigger, more brutish brothers (ER‘s Jerry aka Abraham Benrubi included) tease him, in part because of his interest in the humans on the ground far beneath their beanstalk kingdom. Anton sneaks off and descends the stalk, soon bumping into James and his recent conquest Jacqueline. “Jack” offers Anton a bit of mushroom that she received as payment from a wise woman for killing a Jabberwock in a far-off land, saying it will reduce him to human size. Upon shrinking, Anton accompanies the two in a tavern, where he gets wind of James’ indebted kingdom and the threat upon it. Anton offers his treasure above to help his new friend, only to later learn that they only intended to follow him to his beanstalk kingdom and steal the magic beans. As his brothers get picked off one-by-one by the human army and their poisoned swords, Anton razes the bean field, lest the humans bring their violence to other realms. Anton’s last surviving sib, Arlo, shares with him a beanstalk cutting which he one day, and for the right people, can use to reap new beans, while James dashes off with treasure to save his father’s kingdom, leaving a slain Jack to die.

TIME PIECES | Mr. Gold, in response to David’s threat to chase after him: “Crossing the town line? And what, David Nolan will come after me in his animal rescue van?” …. Hook to Mary Margaret: “I see where your daughter got her gumption”…. Ruby gifts Belle — played by Lost alum Emilie De Ravin, and who was watching Exposé on the TV — with a copy of Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island. Heh…. Gold deeming the airport security line process “terribly uncivilized” as he removes his shoes…. Leroy trying to process David’s twin tale and many names while sprinting from the giant…. Catch the Jack the Giantkiller movie commercial running right after the Jack/giant flashback scene? Similarly, a Twitter follower noted, a Peter Pan ad ran shortly after a Captain Hook scene.

RELATED | Jamie Dornan to Revisit Once Upon a Time — But as Whom?

What did you think of this “Tiny” episode? Feel the road trip story got short shrift? (Of course, it’s the main plot next week.) And if Dr. Whale gets back in the swing of resurrecting people, maybe he can bring back James — his cockiness and horndog nature was refreshing.

Comments (77)

• I totally noticed the Ajira Airs reference and had a mini freak out :) haha great episode!

Comment by Roger – February 10, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved the reference to LOST. And I loved learning David’s real name is David. It makes sense, since Snow keeps calling him David in Storybrooke.

Comment by Gillian – February 10, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Made me miss Lost.

Comment by NM – February 11, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AND Belle was watching “Expose” on TV before Ruby came to visit!!!!!!!!! =D

Comment by Sarah – February 10, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, that was the show Nikki (of Nikki and Paulo) was on, right?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 10, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Razzle dazzle!

Comment by Babybop – February 10, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yup!! Nikki was on it.

Comment by Sarah – February 11, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did anyone see the promo for next week. looks like we were all right about rumple’s son. big shock (sarcasm:)

Comment by david – February 10, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worst kept secret ever.

Comment by Mike – February 10, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, agree with both of you. Such a shocker. I remember fans started talking about Rumple’s son and Henry’s father being the same person last season. Kinda disappointed because the writers kept hyping the big twists and revelations and it gave me hope that they really got a surprise in store and it’s not gonna be the predictable reveal. But it looks very much like the promo already gave everything away again and it’s just Neal = Baelfire.

Comment by Hanna – February 10, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Remember the trailer is NEVER what actually happens in the episode.

Comment by shuayb – February 10, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The trailer is “not always” what happens. Never is an exaggeration

Comment by JeSt – February 10, 2013 09:33 PM PDT
          • Isn’t Michael Raymond James confirmed to be in the next episode, so Bae is all but confirmed to be Neal.

Comment by Tony – February 10, 2013 10:32 PM PDT
    • The time line doesn’t match!! Bae went through his portal before Rumple started training Regina… Cuz he needed the curse to get to him…

Comment by English – February 10, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Blue Fairy stated Bae traveled through “space and time’. It’s possible he arrived in a future point of the real world. Maybe its like Narnia. Time works differently between the worlds.

Comment by tsukikomew89 – February 10, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good point!

I think the obvious solution that Neal is Baelfire, but if we’re going with the timeline-maybe Bae is already dead, and Neal is maybe his son? And since Bae was no longer alive, the globe found the nearest kin. Just a theory :)

Comment by Elly – February 10, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • hmmm that’s an interesting thought… :)

Comment by Cedes – February 10, 2013 10:49 PM PDT
      • I always have to shake my head a little at this logic. Rumpel made the curse for the purpose of finding his son. Do you really think he would let it send him to a time when Bae was dead? After all those deals, plots and manipulations, it’s just RIP son?

Considering what we know of Rumpelstiltskin… not likely.

Comment by Lynyrd – February 10, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • also whose to say the curse that is powerful enough to bring a who townful of people to a new land, can’t also travel through time

Comment by Emily – February 10, 2013 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed it. Was it a good episode?

Comment by Leondre – February 10, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected to. I loved the ending, I personally hope they do return to PFTL someday. Not enough if Emma and Rumplestiltskins storyline, but it seems to be the focus next week. Bring on the next episode.

Comment by Mike – February 10, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So David’s name is David…

Comment by Ella B. – February 10, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bit of a filler episode. I “liked” Jack and James. They were selfish, arrogant and violent for sure, but I found them with all of their flaws a lot more interesting than the ever heroic other twin brother and his entourage. It’s not that I dislike Charming or anything like that, I just find him so boring most of the time in this second season. Maybe the conflict between him and Snow about whether or not they should return to fairytale land will make them both more interesting again now.
    Since we know Cora can shapeshift in Storybrooke too I’m never sure if Regina is really Regina or if it’s her mother posing as her again. Her posture and some of the dialogue in the scenes with Hook and Anton felt off for Regina and looked more like Cora to me. Maybe they’ll clear this up next week.

Comment by Hanna – February 10, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah Cora shapeshifting has caused me to question if everyone is who they are supposed to be. The laugh with Regina when she transformed Anton sounded like the old Regina.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – February 10, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But we’ve always been shown Cora shifting back to her real form after she did what she needed to do. I think it was really Regina. Although, it would make sense for it to be Cora-in-disguise since she gave Anton a mushroom from Wonderland.

Comment by Meg – February 11, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the way they revealed David’s real name! Grumpy basically saying he will call David whatever grumpy wants, lol!

Comment by Me – February 10, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man James and Jack were pieces of crap glad Kharma came back and bit them in the butt!

Comment by Josh – February 10, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why are they flying from Boston to NY? I mean seriously…

Comment by Elle – February 10, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • vs. Driving from Maine to New York City? 5+ hours maybe 7.

Henry: ‘Are we there yet?’
      Emma: ‘No’
      Mr.Gold: ‘If you ask again, you will be left on the side of the road. Dearie.’

Comment by loki – February 10, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Boston to New York is 3-4 hour drive. Considering the time to go through security, wait on the runway, fly there, deplane, and get a rental car/taxi, how much time are they actually saving?

Comment by madhatter360 – February 10, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Try 4-5 hours, and that’s even including the lead footed driving that I use to do on the east coast and that’s assuming no major traffic snarls (or getting lost, like the first time I did it, which you would think is impossible seeing how you can see the damn city). I use to fly regularly a 100 mile jump from a regional airport and that was a popular, so trust me there is a lot of demand on this route, because it really does save you time.

Comment by moobear – February 11, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Love the antidote about seeing the city! So true!

Comment by Me – February 11, 2013 07:30 AM PDT
      • Dang now I wish they did drive to NYC. ;)

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – February 10, 2013 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get why Boston. Emma said in the Price of Gold that Boston was 4 hours away. Portland ME would have been closer for them to fly out of.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – February 10, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it also appears that they didn’t fly out of logan, b/c the sign says boston regional airport which is actually in manchester, NH….haven’t been there in a while but the glass blocks and plants gave it away….logan isn’t that pretty

Comment by joyce – February 13, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Line of the night:

Airport Passenger: ‘Haven’t you ever been on a plane before?’
    Rumplestiltskin/Mr.Gold: ‘Have you ever been impaled upon a cane, before?’

Comment by loki – February 10, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cassidy Freeman played “Jack.” I loved that. (Half expected her to make a Super reference, but no, she just turned out to be yet another Luthor.)

Comment by Martin M. Wilkinson – February 10, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Gold didn’t troll Emma. *Cross town line* Emma: So? Gold: Who are you? What’s going on? Emma: Mr. Gold, it’s okay- Gold: I’m just messing with you Emma.

Comment by madhatter360 – February 10, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would’ve been nice lol, but Rumple just wasn’t feeling it this whole episode. Looks like it’s gonna be a rocky road for him the next episodes…

Comment by jonbua – February 10, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I can safely say this is the first and last time I’ll ever get an erection from Jack in a retelling of Jack and the Giant Bean Stock(Stalk?). Loved seeing Cassidy Freeman in lingerie.

Comment by Terry – February 10, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what’s the stranger going to do? Is it a coincidence that Greg Mendel is so similar to Gregor Mendle, the monk/geneticist with the peas?

Comment by guest – February 10, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry, Gregor Mendel.

Comment by guest – February 10, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Def, didnt you notice have Gene Theory poster in the hospital where he’s staying?

Comment by Brian – February 11, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on the 3rd season of LOST and I can’t believe I’ve never watched that epic show before. Now every time I see Belle or Anton I think of Claire and Hurley. I love it.

Comment by A – February 10, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did anyone else get the very alice in wonderland vibe coming off jack? I reckon she actually is alice, if they ever decide to go back to wonderland (which I really hope they do)

Comment by Emily – February 10, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jack and Alice as the same person I think is a bit of a stretch. But I also hope they go back to Wonderland and cast an actress for Alice and bring Jefferson/Mad Hatter back as well! Let’s see a OUAT-style tea party!

Comment by A – February 11, 2013 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They pretty much all but came out and said she is Alice. Slayed a Jabberwock in another land, food that can change your size…yup.

Comment by Jason – February 11, 2013 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They also said “a wise woman” gave her the mushroom. That could just be a gender-swapped caterpillar or the white/red queen, but I see it as being Alice.

Comment by Isaac – February 11, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought they may have been implying that Jack was Alice, but I don’t think Alice actually slayed the Jabberwocky in the books; I think that just happened in the awful Tim Burton remake. I think in the book Alice just hears the poem of the Jabberwocky and that’s it. So it may not mean that Jack is Alice after all.

Comment by gdv – February 11, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m all for the twists OUAT does but having her be both Jack and Alice is just weird for me. She looks nothing like Alice. Alice should be blonde and quite a bit younger than the actress who played Jack in my opinion. Yes, I think the whole mushroom/Jabberwocky thing may tie into Wonderland but I think maybe it might be that Jack knows Alice and they are friends or has met her before rather than her actually being Alice

Comment by A – February 11, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Anton’s story, although Jack was kind of a disappointment with the most developed part of her character being her cleavage. No surprise on David’s name. Or that Snow and Charming bought Regina’s fake surprise; they are so gullible! I do wish Gold had tried to prank Emma at the town limit, but the cane line almost made up for it.

It does look like Neal will be Bae. MRJ did confirm that he’s in the rest of season 2 and possibly in season 3, depending on his scheduling. A recently filmed scene of him with Emma and he parents having an argument with Gold in his shop seems to add credence to this. The space-time continuum part of all that with the curse seems wonky, but then I didn’t try to wrap my head around all that stuff on Fringe, so I’ll just go with it, if it turns out to be the case. I can’t wait to see what Neal’s up to with that sword in the photo MRJ posted on his Twitter page awhile back… other than for defending himself against CaptainSwan shippers!

Comment by ej – February 11, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hate when shippers attack other shippers. gives shippers a bad name, didn’t like captainswan shippers doing it to him or swanqueen’s now attacking ginny

Comment by Patti – February 11, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think Jack is Alice? She said she got the mushroom that either makes someone grow or shrink from another land after she slayed a jabberwock. It’s a possibility…

Comment by Kim – February 11, 2013 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Think she got it from Alice but she’s not Alice.

Comment by Brian – February 11, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Jack’s story may tie in with Alice but I doubt that she is actually Alice

Comment by A – February 11, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think she’s Alice. IIRC Anton asked Jack if the mushrooms really work, Jack said she didn’t know because she never tried them.

Comment by Julio – February 11, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid episode, hated how they had Jack and James kiss. Whoever that actress was I hope she doesn’t come back because it ruined the episode for me. I don’t want to see the girl Jack again. That entire scene made me gag. So awkward and horrible.

Comment by Jasmine – February 11, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why, I don’t see any logical reason that scene could make anyone gag?

Comment by Mike – February 11, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree!!

Comment by Hannah – February 11, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cassidy Freeman wearing stockings and garters was muy bueno.

Comment by Jason – February 11, 2013 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anybody kinda freak out when we finally heard the seven dwarfs whistle the song from Snow White. That was a cool little moment.

Comment by Ian – February 11, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have done that before, but it’s always a great moment.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 11, 2013 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I had a feeling they did. Thanks Matt. Love the site.

Comment by Ian – February 11, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grumpy had some great lines. I love Grumpy’s friendships with not only Snow but with Charming and Tiny. Charming was cool last night, James and Jack not so much. I hope Jack is not Alice. I felt really bad for Belle. She’s got some crappy friends.

Comment by Patti – February 11, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Charming’s name is David for real. I wonder if Snow’s name includes Mary. So excited to see Neal again. If he is Bae those MRJ and RC scenes should be excellent.

Comment by Patti – February 11, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mary Margaret comes from the fake name she gives Ruby back in the werewolf episode of season one

Comment by Isaac – February 11, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They finally mention Jules Verne whose famous book, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, just happens to be a Disney movie. How soon can we expect Captain Nemo and his Nautilus to surface in Storybrooke?

Comment by Jon – February 11, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Possibly episode 17 which focuses on a boy named Owen…flip the name upside down.

Comment by Brian – February 11, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Damon Lindelof was back again as the TV announcer for the Storybrooke TV station.

Comment by Mary – February 11, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 11, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all of the talk at the beginning about Anton being obsessed with humans and how evil humans really are, did anyone else expect someone to break out into a ‘Little Mermaid’ tune?

Comment by Sheila – February 11, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only just realized why they chose this episode to reveal that Charming’s name is David. It’s because he was facing up against a giant. David. Goliath.

Comment by Rob – February 12, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More like because he’s a shepherd turned royal.

Comment by xav – February 12, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That explains why his name is David, not why they chose to reveal it in this episode.

Comment by Will – February 12, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • …Because there was a mistaken identity? Kinda hard to not reveal your real name when you’re trying to convince someone you’re not James.

Comment by sara – February 13, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess that’s confirmation that Charming was pretending to be his brother to everyone but Snow. :/

Comment by xav – February 12, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post