The 2013 Grammy Awards: Best and Worst

Leading up to the Grammys, all anyone could seem to talk about was who’d win Album of the Year and/or defy CBS’ modesty memo and flash us some side boob. (Our money was on Frank Ocean. For both.)

But to focus on those topics would ignore a whole host of, shall we say, “alternative” categories ranging from Weirdest Acceptance Speech to Performance Most Likely to Induce a Seizure. TVLine.com couldn’t allow that to happen.

RELATED | Grammys 2013: Grades for All 25 Performances!

So, voila! Our slideshow of the night’s best, worst and, for better or worse, most memorable moments:

RELATED | The 55th Annual Grammy Awards: Winners List

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Commentary, Photo Gallery

1. Rachel says:

Taylor Swift was not a best. She is never a best. She was bad. She sang bad.

2. Chris says:

Taylor swift should only be on your list as a new drinking game. Every time her personal reacto-cam pans to her, take a shot.

3. mile says:

What Juanes did to “your song” should be illegal

4. This was actually a pretty good show. Loved Alicia & Maroon 5, loved the Idol girls, loved the Bob Marley tribute, and – I’m going to be the only person in the world who thinks so, but… – I loved Frank Ocean.

The In Memoriam performance was also pretty damn stellar. Rihanna wasn’t too shabby either.

All in all, I’m pretty impressed.

5. Also, I wish Pink was there to perform Just Give Me a Reason with Nate Ruess from Fun. I’m obsessed with that song these days.

• Deena says:

She said on Twitter she was asked to perform but turned it down because she is doing so much prep for her tour. Would have been nice as she is always a highlight.

• TV Gord says:

You Tube her performance of Try on last year’s AMA. That, and her performance two years ago on The Grammys, got me through the lulls on tonight’s show…and there were puh-lenty of lulls tonight!

• Courtney says:

That song is amazing! I love Nate Ruess of fun. and with P!nk, just amazing! Would of been great! But I’m just happy to see fun. winning! They’re a great band!

6. Troy says:

Major congrats to Fun.!! I’ve been going to their shows for 8 years, back when they were in other bands and it’s so nice to see hard work and determination pay off.

It was also really refreshing to see so many true artists win. Artists that write their own music, lyrics, and play their own instruments. No Lady Gaga, Brittany Spears, or others like that.

7. keith says:

I was hoping tom hanks was gonna come out with frank ocean.

8. CR says:

Not sure why they made a point to Taylor Swift singing along to every song performed tonight. It got real old real fast.

• Venus says:

She can”t keep a male interested in her for more than a month, so she acts like the forever teen she will always be. Wish all of her exes would write a tell all about her shortcomings as a female companion. She can’t sing well, writes juvenile songs, and will always be forever 16. Glad she didn”t win anything.

• Mikael says:

And her songs always make it seem like she dumps the guys and they’re begging her to take them back, but in reality, they dump HER! She’s got to be crazy or something

• Amy says:

She won for Best Song Written for media, “Safe and Sound” from the Hunger Games. It was during the un-aired awards.

9. Stacie says:

After last year’s emotional and powerful Grammys I figured it’d be a bit of a let down this year, and that it was. It was kind of a snooze fest. I love Justin Timberlake but not feeling his new songs yet. The Rihanna song was beautiful but doesn’t get you moving. It seemed the majority of the performances were very subdued tonight. The duets weren’t that compelling like they usually are. I usually love when they mix 2 artists that don’t appear like they go together, together. Don’t feel that really happened tonight. Underwhelming for sure.

10. Deena says:

One of the best shows in a long time. Bruno Mars & Sting were unreal. Also loved Maroon 5 & Alicia Keys.

It’s fun to see other artists singing along in the audience. Taylor was probably getting into it the most plus she was in the front row. She was having a good time. They also showed Keith Urban, Adele, Ellen and Beyonce singing along at times as well.

11. Sam says:

Ugh I hate FUN and seeing them win is weird because I loved The Format, their songs are so annoying. Really happy about Gotye’s wins!

• Troy says:

I’ve never met someone that loved The Format but hated Fun. Unless your full name is Sam Means?

Do you really think their songs are that different? I don’t. They were still before commercial success and in the same spirit. The next album may be a different story though.

• Alex says:

Ugh, I just wish The Format and Fun. fans could get along, and there’s really no reason for them not to, since it’s the SAME LEAD SINGER.

12. Francesca says:

you forgot the amazing tribute to Levon Helm,

13. BigWill says:

Really? No comment on the Levon Helm tribute?? It was the best moment of the night!

14. Sam says:

Thought it was a really good show. Loved JT, Kelly and the Marley tribute. Tired of people giving Taylor Swift a hard time for enjoying herself. There were many other people singing along and clapping.

15. mirvin365 says:

Realized tonight Taylor really IS just a shallow, goofy girl. Watching her in the audience (overkill by the way) I just felt bad for her. She reminds me of that kid that tries so hard to make people like them that she alienates EVERYONE. Frank Ocean was odd but loved Bruno Mars/Sting and Alicia on the drums with Maroon 5. Kelly Clarkson’s speech was adorbs- really like her.

16. Courtney says:

Ugh Taylor swift is SOOOO overrated!! Not only does she suck singing live but I’ve never seen a person use their hair as a another member of their band like she does.

I missed P!nk!!! A duet with the guy from “Fun” would’ve been brilliant! Oh and Kelly Clarkson winning best pop album over P!nk????? Ludicrous!

17. JC says:

Kelly Clarkson had the night’s best acceptance speech, she is so adorable. And its a plus that she can really sing her performance along with Carrie were the highlights for me :D

18. Betsy says:

seriously?? no love for The Weight??? it was TREMENDOUS! what a tribute to Levon Helm. Zac, the stupendous T-Bone, Mumford, Shakes and MAVIS. It was the best part of the whole night!!! It should have been #1 – 5!

19. Brandy says:

I think it was one of the best Grammys in the last few years. Loved anytime Mumford & Sons, Fun., or the Black Keys were on stage. The Levon Helm tribute was fantastic. Excited that JT has new music and was able to perform. And Taylor Swift isn’t the most talented but she’s always entertaining. Could have done with less Rihanna, I’m just over it. And the cameras panned a little too much at Chris Brown for my taste. Overall, great show.

20. G-Mom says:

I really thought “Stronger” was the “song of the year”, but all of the nominees were deserving. I LOVED Kelly’s acceptance speech and her performance of Tennessee Waltz and Natural Woman was AWESOME! And, Courtney, I think Pink is really, really great, but to say that Kelly’s winning best pop vocal performance over Pink is “ludicrous” is, well…, ludicrous. But, to each his/her own. Everyone has their favorite and Kelly is mine.

21. Britta Unfiltered says:

I came for The Black Keys/Preservation Hall Jazz Band performance, stayed for the Jack White performance, and was delighted to see the performance of Take Five, an oldie, but a goodie. And I liked what Prince wore. It was very Prince. And I got a little vomitey everytime Taylor Swift was onscreen. And woohoo, The Black Keys won 3 Grammys!

22. Lia says:

I think they show Swiftie the most because she’s the only one who looks like she’s enjoying the whole show. I saw plenty of shots of bored artists in the audience. Loved Sting and Bruno Mars; Chris Brown needs to get over himself already; I couldn’t tell you what song Carrie U was singing because her dress made me dizzy; agree those Idol girls can sing though :-)

23. Little Red Charlette says:

Oh, TVLIne. Naïveté? Really? Taylor Swift looked WAY TOO MUCH like she was having the time of her life. It was her “in-your-face-I’m-having-fun-at-the-Grammys-and-you’re-not” shtick for her bajillion exes.

24. A says:

Please, I hope they never let LL Cool J host again. I don’t know how to describe it but there was no life in his hosting. No excitement, comedy, nothing. All he did was ramble on and on., I tried not to fall asleep

25. Jack White is more mad overrated than mad talented.

26. Emily says:

I thought Hunter Hayes looked like that kid that plays Joffrey Baratheon on Game of Thrones…

27. Sara says:

How could “The Weight” not be on this list?! That was the perfect group of totally random people to perform that. It was total perfection on every level. The ultimate jam band. I have been rewatching that one performance all night. It saved the whole show, in my opinion.

28. Melinda says:

Really though? Taking a dig at Harry Styles who is 19? How old are you Taylor Swift? Seriously girl needs to grow up and stop acting like a teenager.

29. How can you possibly sell yourselves as entertainment reporters when you don’t know who Hunter Hayes is. Your education is sorely lacking. That young Bieber looking guy has been performing since 4 years old and has written songs since he got a contract with Universal Music Publishing Group at the age of 17.. Youtube him.

30. Steph says:

Taylor Swift and Frank Ocean were horrible. Justin Timberlake, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood were the best. On the upside we didn’t have to see (or hear) Justin Bieber or Nicki Minaj. That’s always a plus.

31. Amanda says:

Taylor Swift should NEVER be a best. Especially with that tacky British accent she pulled just so reporters would write articles about her Harry Styles diss. You guys bought it hook, line and sinker.

32. Scott says:

JLo’s dress looked like a swimsuit. Sorry not pretty IMO

33. Reblogged this on Rebecca's News & Entertainment and commented:
    Best and worst lists, gotta love them!

34. Jonathan says:

Depending on who you believe, Prince may have a hip problem which might make the cane more than just a flashy accessory for him. Although I saw him live last month and he sure didn’t look like he needed a cane.

35. That Forrest Gump song was the most cringe worthy WTF 5 minutes I’ve ever seen on TV. Some long, boring, drone of a song about Forrest Gump? On the GRAMMYS?? It was like a depressing Weird Al song.. And this guy was up for several awards?? Everybody I was watching with just sat there dumbfounded starting at the screen in complete disbelief at what we were hearing.

36. Paula says:

Completely OT for the Grammys, but I think Miley Cyrus looks like a young Hilary Clinton. I just noticed that when the news was showing old video last week of her testifying before congress during Bill Clinton’s presidency.