Exclusive

Red Widow Exclusive: Radha Mitchell and Goran Visnjic Are Dressed to... Kill?

If looks could kill, this exclusive photo from ABC’s new midseason drama Red Widow would surely land on the FBI’s Most Wanted list.

RELATED | ABC Sets Body of Proof Return Date, Gives Red Widow Sunday Slot, Plots Suburgatory Move

Launching with a two-hour premiere on Sunday, March 3 at 9/8c (before settling into its Sundays-at-10 home), Red Widow stars Radha Mitchell (Silent Hill) as Marta Walraven, “a housewife who has been sort of avoiding her criminal upbringing by living the life of a soccer mom,” the actress explains. “She then is suddenly dragged into that world… when her husband is assassinated in relation to a drug incident.”

Because though Marta’s husband paid dearly with his life, that fails to offset his debt with crime lord Nicholae Schiller, played by Goran Visnjic in a role that could not be further from his last series regular gig, as ER‘s Dr. Luka Kovac.

Returning to TV as a formidable international crime boss “was really fun,” Visnjic says. “The character is completely unusual, something I’ve never done before.” When pitched the role, he recalls, “I was thinking it’s going to be a very interesting thing to do.”

RADHA MITCHELL, GORAN VISNJIC

Rounding out the cast for Red Widow — which is based on the Dutch series Penoza — are Sterling Beaumon (Lost) as Marta’s son, Jaime Ray Newman (CSI: NY) as her sister Kat, Rade Serbedzija (24) as her father, Clifton Collins Jr. (The Event) as FBI Agent James Ramos, Lee Tergesen (Oz), Luke Goss (Hellboy II), Suleka Mathew (Men in Trees), Wil Traval (All Saints), Erin Moriarty and Jakob Salvati.

1. I’m looking forward to this show. I love both Goran Visnjic and Radha Mitchell, and the premise seems promising.

2. Kvivik says:

Ok, they had me (sorta) with Goran, but Jamie Ray, Lee and Luke make it must see. Then it will live or die on my DVR if I like it, or I don’t.

3. Holly says:

I’ll give it a shot with Goran Visnjic starring in it. I even watched Pan Am through his episodes.

4. AJ says:

I already foresee a possible love triangle developing between her, Visnjic, and the FBI guy. All shows have to have a triangle these days.

5. greysfan says:

Of all the new shows this season, this is the one i am mostly looking forward to. I hope it does well after Revenge. ABC though have a habit of being unable to launch new shows although did snag 3 hits last season in Revenge, Once and Scandal. Will be interesting to see how it goes but it looks great.

6. Stacy says:

It’s a really good show! not much love triangles as you would think there would be. its more about keeping herself and her family together! Really, as someone who already has seen the dutch version of this show, i would say that it is worth checking out!

• Amiee says:

Unfortunately, we all know how american TV tends to mess with shows from other countries. They try to “americanize” it and end up ruining everything that is great about it.

• mariam says:

What is the name of the dutch version, please?
        I really like the show the storyline and the background if russian mob is unique for a US series.
        And the Schiller/ Martha ships so great

7. Robert says:

I’m looking foward to the show. If Romeo Tirone had his creative ideas involved in the show then I know it will be good watching.

8. Melanie says:

Oooh! I was on the fence about trying this one, but I really like Goran. Didn’t realize he was in it. Definitely will give it a try.

9. Suz says:

I’m watching this now and everyone needs to improve their English/Russian accent. It’s distracting.

Not sure I’ll stay thought the next hour.