Arrow's Gasp-Worthy, Finale-Caliber 'Betrayal' Will Leave You Screaming at the TV -- But Why?

Arrow Spoilers -- Betrayal Episode 13Stephen Amell and his castmates have a lot to say — and yet little to reveal — about Arrows 13th episode, titled “Betrayal” and airing tonight at 8/7c on The CW.

RELATED | Arrow Targets ER Alum to Play Laurel’s Mother

On the surface, the episode guest-stars David Anders (Alias, Once Upon a Time) as Cyrus Vanch, a nefarious criminal resigned to reclaim his position atop the underworld after release from prison. That agenda thusly lands Starling City’s hooded vigilante in his crosshairs.

“He is a different kind of villain,” Amell shared during our visit to the set, as “Betrayal” was being filmed. “If The Count was very diabolical and scheme-y, this guy is sort of reckless and incredibly confident. And I don’t go after him; he comes after me, which is a change for us.”

To that end, Vanch “figures out who is close to me, and if I have any weak spots, and he tries to exploit them,” Amell says. For that reason (and perhaps another), Laurel gets targeted by the big bad. “You definitely see some more of the relationship betweenBetrayal Laurel and the Arrow, and you see a lot of betrayal going on,” Katie Cassidy shared. “I mean, this is a big episode for Laurel and there’s a lot of action and a lot of things happening.” The actress then echoes something Amell has hinted at, saying, “Yeah, there is a huge, huge ending that I am really excited about…. I think it might be one of my favorites.”

And what were Amell’s own words to tease the bejesus out of “Betrayal”? “I will say this. The ending of Episode 13 is season finale-worthy. It comes out of nowhere,” he enthused. “It is something that people have been waiting for, and it is one of those moments that end with people screaming at the television and clamoring for next week.

“It is the most [gasp-worthy] ending of the entire series, so far,” he added.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

As for milder-mannered Oliver’s own arc within the episode, he will show Moira his father’s notebook, which he got from Felicity (who got it off Walter), and question her about the names on the list. And that will likely put Mom in a pinch. “More suspicions are raised around her” — including and especially by Diggle, said Susannah Thompson. (Watch for a tense exchange ‘tween the two when he steps in as her driver for the night, and she ominously notes, “It’s a very dangerous city, Mr. Diggle.”)

And, as previously promoted, the episode also flashes back to Oliver’s very early island days, including his first meeting with Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke (played by Spartacus’ Manu Bennett).

All told, at least two major twists are on tap tonight — so if you think photos floating around from the next episode reveal all, think again. What are your predictions for “Betrayal’s” big bombshells?

Want more scoop on Arrow, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. A Young Samaritan says:

Holy Arrow! Can’t wait for tonight!

2. Jared says:

Arrow is GREAT!..Cant wait to watch tonight.

3. It’s big episode for Laurel. It has a moment we’ve all waited for. And we’ll be left SCREAMING *winkwink* at are TV. If Arrow wasn’t so set on being ~grounded in reality, I would be thinking that Laurel’s going to break out her canary cry for the first time right now. It’s too bad that won’t be it.

4. guss says:

Maybe Laurel will know who is Arrow. I love Laurel&Ollie/Arrow

5. James says:

Sweetness can’t wait this is easily my favorite new show this season. i hope Mr. Anders escapes though cuz this show burns through its heavy’s like crazy, and would like to see an overall arc develop with one of them, I liked Gabal’s performance as the Count, and Love the Dark Archer, but Anders always plays such a good villain i Kind of hope he sticks around. Oh and great casting on Slade Manu is awesome.

6. Zayne says:

If Laurel gets her powers somehow, I’m going to lose my sh*t, in joy.

• yuka says:

Can’t wait to see her in Black canary’s fish net stckings

• Katie_Mead says:

You’ll have to wait a while then – if Laurel Lance is to take up the Black Canary role, it will have to be after her mother, Dinah Lance (Alex Kingston, aka Dr Who’s River Song), passes on the mantle. She’ll be joining Arrow soon in a recurring role.

7. Steph says:

I just have to read Stephen Amell’s name and I shudder with lust.

8. Cottage101 says:

Please let Laurel leave the show, she’s so booooooring!

• guss says:

She is my favorite. I find more annoying Tommy or Thea.

• Anon says:

Laurel CANNOT leave. She needs to be Black Canary.

• Kath says:

She seems superfluous except when they are trying too hard to write her in to the stories. (‘In loco parentis’ to Thea? Give me a break.) She was best on the Firefly episode because there was a reason for her to be around Arrow.

Maybe they’ll find a way to make her necessary to the show. Which on the one hand would justify her character on the show other than as Oliver’s old girlfriend, but on the other give her even more airtime. Not a character I look forward to.

9. KCC says:

My prediction: Tommy joins in with his dad!

10. The Kaibosh says:

Sudden and unexpected Canary Cry perhaps?

11. Kath says:

Then can we have a big Felicity episode please? I like this show best when Diggle and Felicity are rolling their eyes at Oliver.

• Azerty says:

Felicity is the blond IT girl right? I really like her,(i must admit, that may be because she reminds me of Chloe Sullivan in the early years). I think she should be the next person to discover that Oliver is Arrow.

• Alan says:

based on how she is going in the story, especially with the ending of last weeks episode, she will be joining team arrow soon. she cant keep pretending to buy olivers ridiculous stories for much longer

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I thought the same thing. I miss my Chloe Sullivan!

12. June says:

The tv Arrow show is hot can’t wait until tonight and guys thanks for the email.

13. mia says:

Woot! A big episode for Laurel. I love her – and I’m eager for her to be doing more! I hope she finds out that Oliver is the Hood.

14. Lilys87 says:

This the last episode that I’m going to be able to watch for a long time (april…). I may want to skip this one too then…

15. Azerty says:

At first I was thinking that Laurel would learn who Arrow is. Dragging the double identity secret is what caused the hate of the Clana in Smallville, so Arrow should learn from the mistakes Smallville did. But learning the secret in the middle of season 1 is definitly too soon imo. After reading your comments I really love the idea of Laurel’s first Canary Cry! I don’t know if there are really going to the superpowers storyline but I hope so.

16. Georgia Madman says:

The blond IT girl is my new favorite object of lust. She has brains, looks and wicked sense of humor.

• Alan says:

yep felicity has quickly jumped up beside diggle on my list of favourite characters, the two of them just blow the rest of the cast out of the water

17. sladewilson says:

Ollie and Digg need to bring Felicity into their circle. She’s definitely Arrow’s version of Chloe. As for Laurel – I hope there is no Canary Cry but she ends up with BC’s insane fighting skills. If that comes out of nowhere, I’ll love it. In the comics, BC is a better fighter than GA. I don’t think that will happen here, but at least make Laurel a serious ass-kicker – close to Digg but not quite as good…

• Alan says:

she already can fight, we saw it way back in something like the third episode when she beat up a guy twice her size who was attacking oliver and tommy

18. Jade says:

I do feel the Laurel character has gotten lost over the last 4-5 episodes when in the beginning she was a huge part of the show. Its time she gets back into the action and tonight’s episode looks like it won’t disappoint.

19. BC says:

I know I’ll be disappointed as a Laurel fan b/c the much totted about big moment will go to the IT girl. They already gave it away in promos etc

20. Dave says:

they will probably kill of Laurel’s father

21. Patrick Maloney says:

Ollie and Laurel are gonna kiss

22. RobMF says:

Not one person has mentioned the potential for us to see “Speedy” you know, as the actual Speedy and not just what Oliver calls Thea.

23. MaryAnn says:

If Oliver saved Laurel’s life and she learned his identity…!

That would open up a whole can of worms, plus pave the way for her forgiving him for her sister’s death.

24. scifisiren says:

Last night’s cliff hanger was great, but….. can we have Alex Kingston, now?