Scoop: Castle Season 5 Is Extended

Get More: News

Castle Season 5ABC has cracked “The Case of the Missing Castle Episode” and extended the crime drama’s fifth season by one, to a total of 24 episodes.

RELATED | Castle Recap: You Can’t Win ‘Em All

The increased tally matches that of Seasons 2 and 3. (Season 4 scored 23 eps, while the show’s freshman run, as a midseason replacement, fired off just 10 rounds.)

What does this boost mean for you, the consumer? One less repeat to endure during the month April.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Why Castle Thinks He Will Croak!

Castle continues Season 5 next Monday with an episode guest-starring Nathan Fillion’s Firefly castmate Gina Torres. Then on Feb. 18, the show plunges into its annual February sweeps two-parter, this time featuring Dylan Walsh (Nip/Tuck, Unforgettable) as an FBI agent and involving the kidnapping of someone close to Rick; the second hour also guest-stars James Brolin as Castle’s father.

Tags: ,

Comments (66)

Comment by Karen – February 5, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle is a winner! Bright, and wonderful in the Tv world of Blaaaaaa! I know they are cutting Monday night episode, but I hope they add back into the season 5 – DVD set when released. ABC would be fools not to renew such a great show, with great actors and writers. Go! CASTLE! Season 6, can’t wait.

Comment by jenniefr – April 19, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Shows that ABC has faith in the show!

Comment by Astrid – February 5, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or it means that later they´ll announce it will be the series finale:(
      Don´t get me wrong; I hope to be wrong but somehow that´s what my gut is telling me:(

Comment by Mary – February 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a fair theory. Castle’s ratings are #2 after Hawaii 5-0, which consistently wins in the young demographic, but until recently has lost to Castle in overall viewers. It’s in syndication on TBS and has hit the magic 100 episode mark that makes that work. Without DWtS as a lead-in, it’s had trouble bringing in viewers.

On the other hand, it’s ratings are quite good, especially with DVR re-watches. The Castle/Beckett relationship was well-timed, well-handled, and has breathed new life into the series.

TVbyTheNumbers has it as likely but not slam-dunk for a renewal, and that seems pretty reasonable. So I’m thinking they’re just rounding out the season, but we really can’t rule out that being a series finale.

Comment by asdf – February 5, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m positive there will be a sixth season ;) Ratings aren’t spectacular but good enough for another season. Positive thoughts!

Comment by Astrid – February 5, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ratings are still good, in fact better than good, some people just seem to be blowing the usual drop off between seasons way out of proportion.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mine too. And I’m going crazy. It seems like a “last hurrah” to me. Though the renewal scorecard lists it as a safe bet, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment by May – February 12, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is not a “last hurrah” for Castle. The extra episode is not being tacked onto the end of the season. It is being aired in April so that we actually have one less repeat during that time. In addition, ABC has already inked a deal with UKTV to allow that British network to have exclusive rights to air Season 6 of Castle. Why sign that deal if there is no intention to renew the show? That doesn’t sound like smart or ethical business to me.

Comment by Elena – February 12, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It wouldn’t be the first time ABC did something like this. And there’s the photo Stana Katic posted on Twitter. If she’s leaving, I really don’t see the point in keeping Castle.

Comment by May – February 13, 2013 12:56 AM PDT
          • There’s got to be a six season. The fan base is there just like it wasn’t Firefly and look after 10 years it still has a rage following. Go out on the seven season.

Comment by Ron – February 18, 2013 12:06 AM PDT
  • hellyeah!

Comment by Polly – February 5, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wooohooooo

Comment by Brittany – February 5, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic news! Glad ABC is showing some support for Castle by ordering an extra episode! Woohoo!!!

Comment by Elena – February 5, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lauren – February 5, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news!!

Comment by Andrea – February 5, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice! One more ep.
    They should bring in Adam Baldwin again.

Comment by John – February 5, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that!

Comment by Kasper – February 5, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • can i third it? more adam baldwin on my screen is always a good thing, i will watch him in literally anything

Comment by Alan – February 6, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YES

Comment by Kourt – February 5, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever! Now we need an early renewal, just to be safe :)

Comment by martina – February 5, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely great. Can always take more Castle

Comment by CarlagUK – February 5, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC might haven’t had another choice to fill up their schedule with it’s lack of rating-wise working dramas. That’s IMHO the reason season 6 for Castle is relatively cut & dried.

Don’t get me wrong: I used to love Castle but the last episodes left me feeling totally underwhelmed & I’m not sure if an additional episode can make up for that, if the writing and the off-feeling that acompanies this season won’t change.

I just hope AWM & Co will rediscover the Castle & esp the Caskett-vibe! In that case I’ll take as much extra-episodes as I can.

Comment by MF – February 5, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news, YAY for ABC

Comment by JAA – February 5, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! This is great news :D

Comment by leigh – February 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss the post where we found out James Brolin was playing Castle’s dad?

Comment by Ace – February 5, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so we get an extra episode that marlowe doesnt like to do and SK posts a photo of an exit and knowing when to use one – me thinks we need to hear about season 6 soon

Comment by c – February 5, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marlowe gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for each extra episode – and this is the 2nd increase in episodes for season 5. Don’t fool yourself into thinking he doesn’t like to do them. :)

Comment by taliesin – February 5, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t read much into that SK has a habbit of tweeting random things is more likely an inside joke that gets shared onset and sorry for the double post

Comment by Karen – February 5, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know I would read to much into that pic SK has a habit of tweeting random things its most likely a onset joke or something

Comment by Karen – February 5, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me thinks so, too! Three cheers for season 6!!!!

Comment by Biz ness – February 5, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To my surprise I am really enjoying Castle this season. Imagine, an hour-long that actually improved after the two leads got together, something which could very well be unprecedented.

Comment by april-ann – February 5, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep they all get paid per ep. So NF gets another $150,000 for eight days work and I get another 42 minutes of NF. Win/win if you ask me. ;)

Comment by Lisa – February 5, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking as someone who is pretty clueless on how network works in the USA, this is a good thing right? It means it’s pretty safe to think that ABC has all the intentions of renewing the show for a 6th season, right?
    I’m sorry to ask this but when I read the news I was very excited, then I thought the worst. Which is that they might gave Andrew Marlowe and extra hour to give the show a proper ending. I hate myself for even thinking this but I couldn’t help it.

Comment by Sam – February 5, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle is still very popular, not only in the US but also around the globe. There’s very little doubt there will be some type of 6th season; even if it is only 13 episodes. Castle is still #2 in it’s time slot and could creep back to #1 with some writing adjustments. The only way there wouldn’t be a 6th season is if Nathan’s or Stana’s contracts are up at the end of season 5 and one of them doesn’t want to come back – or their salary demands are too high to justify their ratings.

Comment by taliesin – February 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m calling ABC to thank them for this second additional episode: 1-818-460-7477 then press 1-2-2-226. I started watching Castle for my Nathan Fillion fix. I stayed with it all these years because of the entire cast, crew, and writers. Most of the episodes are awesome and entertaining. Good balance between intensity and fluff.

Comment by Sheryl – February 5, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares if this sounds like a broken record but…..YESSSS!

Comment by Audrey – February 5, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Great news!!

Comment by Mari – February 5, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good news. I wouldn’t worry to much about season six its still a cash cow for ABC, I don’t see that changing anytime soon, despite slight drop in the demo. if I’m not mistaken Bones has had very similar if not worse ratings for a couple years now and thier still around. procederals like this usually have little wiggle room as long as thier isn’t a consistent significant drop in viewership. i have a feeling that after the two parter this show is really going to take off, can’t wait to meet castle’s dad, great casting btw.

Comment by James – February 5, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re mistaken. Bones has never had a 1.8 Demo rating. They dropped to 1.9 once this year, but have since rebounded. Plus their total viewers are around 9M.

Comment by caprigirl60 – February 5, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bones is around 9M now (without competition from The Voice), but not long ago they were around 7M and sometimes less… Castle, in the beginning of this season was up from 10M, and until now never worse than 8,5M…

Comment by Mary – February 9, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! The more we get of Castle the better!!!

Comment by Deidre – February 5, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEA!!

Comment by ollie – February 5, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • better up their game over the last sev eps or it will be a series finale

Comment by intelliwoman – February 5, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I understand, this extra episode is not airing as ep 24. It’s actually taking the place of one of the scheduled repeats to air in April. So, no, this episode was not given to AWM as an extra hour with which he is expected to wrap up the series.

In addition, I just read an article announcing that ABC has inked a deal with UKTV giving that network exclusive rights to air Seasons 5 AND 6 of Castle (on the Alibi channel in the UK). So, it’s not a renewal announcement, but that gives me strong reason to believe that ABC has every intention of renewing Castle. I don’t claim to know the ins and outs of TV networks and how they do things, but it seems to me they wouldn’t sign such a deal if they weren’t sure they were going to renew for S6. That wouldn’t make much sense, would it?

Anyway, I think getting an extra episode of S5 is great news for Castle! I doubt AWM, the cast, and crew are bemoaning the extra episode, either.

Comment by Elena – February 5, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They are also releasing another Nikki Heat book in September around the time the new season would start and they wouldn’t be doing that if this was the last season.

Comment by JuneB – February 6, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, YES, YES! So much for the rumours/fears that Castle will be canceled.

Comment by Beverley – February 5, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix the balance between romance and the crime of the week which is pretty bad right now. A good sign for season 6 methinks.

Comment by Barb – February 5, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean they can fit in some dating this season?lol.Ridiculous hooking up characters like this and then pretty much burying it.

Comment by Shaun – February 5, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this is unexpected, but so very welcome! Hopefully a renewal follows.

Comment by Steph – February 5, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! What a surprise. The more Castle the better!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kate – February 5, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Best show on TV.

Comment by Dick V. – February 5, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anyone listens to the fans they would see that there are a lot that are expecting to see more romance along with those mysteries. After all, we don’t want that curse thing to turn out true! There’s nothing like a good mystery romance, but you have to keep that romance in there or you don’t want to lose half of the fans. There has to be an even amount of the two, that’s why we call it mystery/romance after all!

Comment by Leona Palski – February 5, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh joy! More time to drag out the piddly few crime ideas they have and the pee-poor job at showing the couple’s relationship. I’m sure this extra ep will just be filler. Yick.

So what will this extra show be? reality-star zombies?

Comment by a – February 7, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooh, maybe reality star zombies visit the Hamptons and have better romance than Caskett!

Comment by a – February 7, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for another season too!

Comment by MJO – February 8, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. This is the best show ever, and last nights episode was great. I hope that this will bring back all the fans that left(I don’t know why). And hoping for season 6.:)

Comment by Guadalupe – February 12, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been following Nathan since Firefly. The best half serious/funny actor at the moment.

You can download the episodes over torrent sites in case you are missing the shows, guys. I grab an invite over inviteshares.com.

Comment by Nathan Fan! – February 28, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is the next castle episode?

Comment by Morgan – March 2, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan fillion is great as castle and beckett too. I love their connection. pls continue show

Comment by ISABEL BUTTORFF – April 1, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never miss an episode and watch marathon episodes non tnt

Comment by ISABEL BUTTORFF – April 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just become a fan of Castle. Love the dynamic between the two stars. One comment though.. I note that recently she has one of those phony looking cotton candy mops on her head. Puuulease! just give us back real hair. Am happy that I get to see the early episodes in syndication.

Comment by carniehermon – April 8, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • castle is awesome just love it want to write an episode myself someday

Comment by soban – April 23, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post