Ratings: Do No Harm Very DOA, 30 Rock Has Big Finish, Big Bang Wins First Idol Face-Off of '13

Do No Harm - Season PilotDoctor, heal thyself.

NBC’s Do No Harm on Thursday premiered to 3.1 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, marking — wait for it — the lowest-rated, in-season debut of any scripted Big 4 series ever.

It was also down 55 percent in the demo from Awake‘s own Thursdays-at-10 premiere.

Opening the Peacock’s night, 30 Rock finished its run strong, surging 26 and 36 percent to net its largest audience in two years (4.8 mi) and its second-best rating (1.9) since March 2012. Leading out of that, a double-pump of The Office averaged 4.2 mil/2.0 (flat versus last week).

RELATED | Did Do No Harm Double Your Pleasure? Vote In Our Poll!

Surprising no one, The Big Bang Theory trumped the first half-hour of American Idol in the juggernauts’ first head-to-head face-off of 2013.

With 17.5 million total viewers and a 5.3 rating, Big Bang was down 12 and 17 percent from its last fresh outing yet still easily bested Idol‘s 12.8 mil/4.1 in the shared half-hour. (Two and a Half Men, however, lost the lead — 13.7 mil/3.9 to 14.6 mil/4.8.)

For the night, Idol averaged 13.7 mil/4.5, sliding a mere 12 percent week-to-week, with the Bang back in the mix.

RELATED | American Idol Recap: Better ‘Later!’ Than Sooner

Elsewhere….

ABC | A Shark Tank repeat (4.6 mil/1.1) was down just a tenth from Last Resort‘s finale. Grey’s Anatomy (8.8 mil/2.8) slipped two tenths to tie a series low. Scandal (8.1 mil/2.7) ticked up some but fell shy of its recent records.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: It’s All Over But the Crying

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Irreconcilable Differences

CBS | Person of Interest was steady at 15.6 mil/3.2, easily besting Grey’s in both measures. Elementary did 10.8 mil/2.2, down a few percentage points. Next stop: Apres-Super Bowl!

FOX | Leading out of Idol, Glee nonetheless was down almost 20 percent, to 5.54 mil/2.1.

RELATED | Glee Recap: Poking the Bare

THE CW | Both The Vampire Diaries (2.6 mil/1.3) and Beauty and the Beast (1.73 mil/0.7) dropped a few eyeballs but held steady in the demo.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Bad Romance, Bad Witch

1. wi says:

Scandal is going for >> Grey’s in next few weeks (vis-a-vis ratings), impressive.

Do No Harm. Do No Ratings. Embarrassing.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Yep – you are right on the button. Keep your eye on the numbers for Grey’s and Scandal – I think we may see a pivot point before April/May – Scandal will out perform Grey’s at that point. If that happens, big changes coming to ABC’s Thursday night lineup for fall ’13.

• the girl says:

I think ABC would be smart to leave Scandal at 10 pm – the later hour has larger creative possibilities.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Agreed – if I were making the decision, I’d move Revenge into the 9pm/Thursday slot, and leave Scandal at 10 (for now). Bring in SHIELD at 8pm, and have a really strong, new lineup for fall. We’ll see what happens, but something is coming. I noticed (in this column further down) that Michael A. is thinking the same thing – Grey’s may have to be moved in the fall – better a year early and a year late.

• Cupcakester says:

I like this decision. I’m pretty sure the only reason Scandal has good ratings is because of the Grey’s lead in. Revenge is doing spectacularly on it’s own, so why not give it the best slot on Thu (9pm)? This way, Grey’s can have a graceful bow out and they have a strong show in the 9pm spot instead of being left in the lurch when Grey’s goes. Is Grey’s going anytime soon though? I haven’t been following TVline as religiously as I should be lately. Got too busy.

• Adam says:

I don’t think that SHIELD and Revenge and Scandal have the same audience. I suspect SHIELD will be paired with Once Upon a Time for a double hour of scifi/fantasy and SHIELD is rumored to be more family friendly like Once is. Revenge and Scandal could pair well together and overlap with audience, though.

• Alex says:

Bad idea. The Revenge ratings are weaker than Grey’s, and the show would likely flop HARD on Thursdays.

• Elyse says:

I didn’t know Scandal was doing so well in the ratings. might have to check it out on Netflix!!

• Christi says:

You totally should. My husband and I decided to try out an episode on Netflix about two months ago and ended up watching the whole season that weekend. Just do it :)

• Liam says:

Scandal is red-hot(!), and with damn good reason! I friggin love it!

• Adam says:

Scandal sucks, Do No Harm is action packed, hilarious & thrilling. The cast is very easy on the eyes to boot!

2. Steven says:

New on NBC, the World Premiere of Do No Ratings

• Plum says:

The scariest thing about Do No Harm is that it was made in the first place; how does a Greys/Jekyl and Hyde mashup get on the air? Maybe with all the witches, wolves and vamps on TV NBC thought well let’s just fling this at the wall too and see if it sticks. But who really was clamoring for Jekyl or Hyde; I mean in this century?

• Tarc says:

The problem wasn’t the general concept, but the execution. I’ve never seen such a completely preposterous pilot in my lifetime. I’m no that difficult to get to suspend disbelief, but DNH lost me five minutes in. The lead actor could carry a show, but not with that premise. It was really bad.

• Tess says:

Am I the only person who feels like the lead actor (whose name now escapes me) was so good playing a dim wit on Rescue Me for so long that it’s hard to believe him now as a doctor? Between that and the lousy looking promos, I felt no need to tune in and clearly so did just about everyone else in America.

• B says:

Frankly, even the title of the show was completely unappealing. That’s been an issue with a lot of NBC shows lately though. It’s superficial, but cheesy or awkward sounding titles definitely impact a show’s appeal.

3. DreamRose311 says:

So what you’re saying is, I shouldn’t bother checking out Do No Harm on OnDemand?

4. Templar says:

I’m starting to see Bernadette as a shrew. Actually, IMO, 2&1/2 was better than TBBT this time. Jim Parsons is a gifted actor with impeccable timing, but the rest of the show fell a bit flat for me and Penny looked awful. Ashton K. has grown as a comic actor and the man-centric ep was refreshing.

5. Isaac says:

Maybe it’ll get better for episode 2 of Do No Harm, since that wasn’t online almost a month in advance

• Alex says:

Exactly. Anyone who was interested (me) watched the premiere a while ago. That was dumb if they wanted ratings for the premiere. Though Thursday nights in general are already packed.

• Alex says:

LOL, plenty of shows have pilots that are available online first legally. Once Upon a Time and Grimm are a couple of recent examples. They’ve done just fine in the ratings without the cheap excuse of being available online in advance. Face it, Do Not Harm is a stinker almost no one wants.

6. Tran says:

Who’s really REALLY giving up on Idol this season? I’m one of them. Reply if you agree.

7. Renee says:

Glad Beauty & The Beast held steady. Was hoping for an increase, but I’ll definitely take steady.

8. rachelle says:

The news about Do No Harm sooks, but whatever. At 10pm on Thursdays, my eyeballs belong to Scandal! I don’t watch Grey’s, but I was looking at their first few season ratings and it’s nuts that how much they fell in the ratings. They used to average up to 30-something million viewers a week and now sometimes they barely make 9?? Wow.

• Shaun says:

Ha,I doubt they ever had 30mill viewers.Maybe 15-17mill.It’s season 9 and the online/dvr viewing has taken off for all shows!!

• the girl says:

That is the serious truth. I love Grey’s and Scandal but I can’t be around to watch live every week. Online viewing and On Demand get used heavily in my home.

• Elyse says:

I have to be up for work every day at 5am so if it’s not in the 8pm timeslot most of the time I’m too tired to stay up and watch. I rely heavily on DVR too.

• rachelle says:

They had 37.88 mil for 2×16. According to Wikipedia w/ a source to MediaNet. Maybe it’s a lie. But that’s what I was basing my info on. And I’m not saying Grey’s numbers suck. I was just pointing out how crazy the drop was. I’m not making fun, people!

• Laura says:

It was a different world back then. Not much competition on the networks or cable. If Grey’s premiered today it probably wouldn’t do as well as it did then.

• scooby says:

That episode of Grey’s Anatomy was a post-Super Bowl episode. It wasn’t their normal week to week numbers. Their season 3 premiere pulled in around 25 mil, but their season averages were never over 20 (not that they needed to be, the upper teens are great numbers). I used to be a mega fan and never missed, but the wheels started to come off the wagon in season 4, on and off set. The George/Izzie drama and subsequent Izzie character collapse (I always felt that was fall out from the Isaiah Washington situation being made public instead of staying in-house so Shonda didn’t have to fire anybody), Heigl’s infamous Emmy issue, Addison had transitioned to Private Practice. It was even worse dramatically than what happened to The West Wing after Sorkin left because Shonda was still there. It’s so hard to keep shows going for a few years at the top level so this was bound to happen and I’m still glad she introduced me to some really great music. I just have to contend myself with nostalgia for old Grey’s and pretend TWW (post-Sorkin) never screwed up Toby.

• Meghan says:

Do No Harm has me hooked!! Can’t wait for next week! The first week was the pilot so it will get even better than the first & it’s filmed in Philly, which is great! Philly is starting to blow up for film!

• Jackson says:

It’s their 9th season for crying out loud. Show me ANY show in their 9th season that has the same ratings they started with.

• Zorkel567 says:

Ever heard of NCIS? On Season 10 and their ratings have almost doubled since the early seasons.

• Ana says:

To be fair, NCIS is an outlier. An exception to the rule. By and large viewership decreases over time. And NCIS gets the big viewership numbers but the 18-49 demo doesn’t break any records. Greys has lost a lot of pivotal cast members over the years and it’s always reflected on the ratings. At the end of last season, they lost another 3. Plus, in typical ABC fashion, Greys is more of a soap show. CBS is rich with procedurals. They are two completely different dynamics that attract different audiences. IMO.

• Blur says:

Exactly. Grey’s is too soapy for most males. The gay guys probably like it but the women are not very attractive to hetero males. Except for some of the new interns and Arizona.

• Zorkel567 says:

I agreethat NCIS is an outlier. Jackson just said to show him ANYT show that has same ratings, and NCIS is ANY show, so I wanted to point it out. But I do agree that NCIS is a lot different from almost eery other show ratings wise.

9. Mike says:

Do no harm will be gone soon, I give it 3 episode tops.

10. Jade says:

Beauty & the Beast steady?..ill take that!

11. marge says:

Grey’s is always pretty low (maybe not THIS low) mid-season with their filler episodes (like last night’s). But considering it’s 9 seasons in, still impressive.
    Saw Ausiello’s tweet about his prediction for a Scandal move to 9pm next year – doubt it! Grey’s success is what Scandal has been built on, and with Grey’s probably (and should) bowing out after season 10, why would the network want to move it it’s last year?
    But I’m happy for Scandal’s success! It’s a fantastic show :)

• Shaun says:

I wouldn’t call it filler,it’s setting up the sale of the hospital.From the previews I might call next weeks a filler.

• eridapo says:

I agree.. Scandal is the new Private Practice. Everyone assumes it is a great hit because how well it does after Greys, but as soon as it moves away from Greys it goes down in flames.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I think Ausiello’s prediction is correct – something is going to change at ABC 9pm/Thursday night this coming fall. Grey’s is still a good show, but sometimes it is better to make a move a year early than a year late. That’s the challenge ABC is facing – better to move the ‘hot’ show into the key 9pm/Thursday slot and allow Grey’s to run it’s final season (10) in another slot on another day – maybe Sunday 9 or 10pm, or Tues/Wed 10pm? I bet Grey’s will do better in that new slot/day, and improve the ratings.

I think as Michael noted, moving Scandal to 9pm/Thursday next fall is a good idea, and may happen, and then perhaps place a new series at 10pm. My thinking is similar, but I’d move Revenge to 9pm/Thursday, and leave Scandal (for now) at 10pm, so that ABC would have two returning shows on Thursdays, and then bring in S.H.I.E.L.D. at 8pm to really super-charge the night – three newer shows, geared for the younger audience. A lineup of SHIELD-Revenge-Scandal, or even SHIELD-Scandal-Revenge would do ABC a whole lot of good on a very important night of the week.

• Cupcakester says:

We learned from Private Practice that moving a show into a new time slot KILLS ratings. It takes viewers a few weeks to find out that the show has moved, and then they aren’t likely to re-arrange their schedules just so that they can watch an episode. All the Grey’s viewers will just start watching whatever ABC puts in that slot and abandon Grey’s (their most successful show). What’ll that do to their network ratings if they don’t have Grey’s anymore?

• Jessica says:

This. ABC doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to moving shows in their final (or close to final) seasons (see Ugly Betty, Private Practice, etc)

• CJS says:

The way that I see it is if Scandal can go up against the established 9:00 p.m. series (Person of Interest, Glee, whatever’s on NBC) & stay competitive/beat them head to head (which I think it can), then moving Scandal to 9:00 p.m. for fall 2013 would be a wise move for ABC to make. Plus, moving Revenge to 10pm on Thursdays would give ABC a strong Thursday night lineup (random series-Scandal-Revenge).
        Now if this means that Grey’s moves as well, I say that it would be the better move to have Grey’s on either Tuesday or Wednesday, but NOT Sunday. The ratings would collapse for Grey’s if they had to go up against Sunday Night Football. IMHO, I think the best scenario would be either Tuesday @ 9:00 p.m. or Wednesday @ 10:00 p.m.
        Overall, any move that ABC would be making would be risky, but I agree that it’s better to make the move a year too early as opposed to a year too late.

• Ana says:

For Scandal to move to the 9pm slot it would have to change its rating. The racier scenes between Fitz and Olivia would not fly at that time. I don’t think. Scandal is an excellent show. I’ve watched since day one but it’s still a newbie. It’s beginning to build its audience now. What no one is mentioning is how hard the cast and showrunners work at promoting it, especially among the African-American community. Kerry Washington got a lot of visibility during the presidential campaign and later with Django. She and Shonda were on Oprah. They live tweet. They are working hard. The worst thing to do right now would be to rattle that boat. Moving Private Practice to Tuesdays killed that show. I think Shonda is focused now on Scandal as the new thing. Greys is older, more expensive and I think Shonda is looking to the next thing. I mean, we are talking Shondaland and Scandal gets way better writing than Greys. And they keep messing around with the Greys formula adding new characters that rock the boat. April from way back in S6 is still a polarizing character with a lot of people still disliking her. This season, it the midst of the plane crash aftermath, instead of focusing on how the lives of the surgeons are being affected and really taking the time to delve into that, we are dealing with four new interns that are sucking up a lot of screen time. It’s frustrating to the core audience that’s been there from the beginning. IMO.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I agree – I like Greys too – a good show. I’m reading the other comments, and I completely understand – there is big risk in moving Greys to another night. But as you noted, the show is getting a bit ‘long-in-the-tooth’, and the risk taking by the writers/scripts isn’t what it used to be. And that’s okay – as shows get older, the writers/scripts play things a bit safe – that happens.

I remember when Greys first moved to Thursday/9pm, years ago. That show was red hot – dangerously hot. Everyone was talking about that show the next morning at the water cooler. I started watching the show to ‘keep up’ – to stay in the loop with the ‘cool-kids’ and their office conversations. That’s what Thursday night shows should be doing – burning hot and getting viewers to watch live (or DVR for those with early Friday morning alarm-clock calls). Scandal, PoI, BBang, Revenge, HIMYM. Elementary – the shows we all talk about here at TVLine – those are red hot shows, and Thursdays is the place for the networks to showcase them and where advertisers pay the big money to catch those eyes.

If Greys is left at 9pm Thursday, next season may well be the last season of the series, and then, ABC may find itself in the same boat NBC now finds itself in. They waited too long – they held onto their older shows on Thursdays for too long. Now, 30 Rock is gone, The Office will soon be gone and NBC will be in full Thursday-night rebuild mode. That is not a good place to be. ABC needs to try to avoid that fate and get in front of what’s coming – the end of Greys in May 2014.

CBS has done smart things on Thursday. They moved CSI to another night, and it’s performing well, and maybe even extended its life, while CBS re-loaded Thursday nights with newer, younger shows – PoI, Bang, Sherlock. What Nina/Les and CBS are doing on Thursdays is very smart – ABC needs to learn from that effort. A move of Greys to, say Wednesdays at 10pm, will lose some audience, but I bet viewers will follow the show, and if the show puts up numbers like 8m/2.9 demo [which it can], that’s outstanding for a Wednesday/10pm show, and maybe an eleventh season consideration for Greys. It could be a win-win-win for ABC/Greys/Shonda and the Wednesday and Thursday ratings. I’ll feel bad if Greys has to move to another night, but sometimes these changes need to be made before the audience/customers move on to another Thursday night network – like CBS, that has the young, cool shows.

• Alex says:

Revenge is not a hot show, though. It would stink up ABC’s Thursday ratings, IMO.

12. Eric says:

Goodbye, Do No Harm!

13. jess says:

LMAO @ Glee’s ratings. If American Idol can’t give the ratings a boost, idk what show can.

14. Jess says:

Greys is still doing great in there 9 season. Scandal and POI are new shows and more and more people are watching them because there are new shows. And there are more competition at 9pm and what it is on 10pm its why Scandal are doing so good. Greys are still the best drama show ever :)

15. tmac11 says:

Time to pull Do No Harm and give us Hannibal

16. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

NBC has had an identity crisis for nearly decade. They take few risks with new drama. More than 50 years later they’re still rolling out cops-doctors-lawyers hoopla like it’s bold and fresh. Their surprise ‘hits’ usually float for a time, and inexplicably, but every concept they throw into competition just seems dated, derivative, and shallow. It’s as if they’re not paying attention. Also, it seems like they film all their drama using the same lens. Maybe it wouldn’t all feel familiar if it didn’t LOOK so familiar. Someone needs to step down. Again. One should never strive to find an identity, but to create one. With 30 Rock and The Office wrapping, I expect the network to fold or be absorbed. So many years of bad decisions…

17. Alan says:

hey look what happens when you cancel a great show nbc, people dont want to invest in another one from you because it will just get ripped away from them. those are some impressively bad ratings there, i give it 2 more weeks before its unceremoniously yanked from the air. and yes im still bitter about the way things went with awake. i wanna know which reality was real damn it.

• Tarc says:

If anyone cared about the cancelled show, it’d still be on. Do No Harm tanked because it’s been online for a month now, and the premise is just truly, deeply flawed. None of it makes a lick of sense, and it’s so unbelievable (a neurosurgen has to run home and knock himself out with an untested experimental drug from 12 hours a day, every day, from exactly 8:25PM to 8:25AM? And he’s employed? And the alter did horrible things, but the guy sin;t in jail? And the alter gets loose by becomeing ‘immune’ (pfft) to the old drug? And the scientist he’s working wqith doesn’t instantly – knowing the extreme danger of letting the alter run free – let this go on? It’s just nutz.

• xx says:

“If anyone cared about the cancelled show, it’d still be on.”
        You’ve never heard of Firefly, have you?

• Tarc says:

Being a Browncoat, yes. And it still didn’t have the ratings when it was cancelled (hence, no one cared). I certainly didn’t watch it until after it was cancelled. what happened after is a totally different story (and an incredibly rare one).

18. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Well I was on the fence about even checking out DNH, I recorded it just in case. This however decides it for me.

19. Bribuf61 says:

I rather liked Do No Harm. More more more.

20. Niko says:

I found Do No Harm to be FUN.

Please give it a try, people!

21. mac says:

Maybe with those awful ratings, NBC will finally slot Hannibal into that slot. Now that’s a show I want to see…

22. Dom says:

I was one of those few who actually tuned in to Do No Harm, and I actually really liked it. I’m intigued and will definitely keep tuneing in for it. So bummer it didn’t do well. Hopefully NBC sticks with it…NBC has two good shows that are performing mediocre in Do No Harm and Deception, and I hope NBC stays faithful to them.

23. josh says:

nothing on 30 rock or the office ratings??

also do no harm is more of a film/book type of media outlet scenario, not a TV show, it will get old and tiresome in 5 episodes.

24. stevie says:

PERSON OF INTEREST was amazing again.
    i adore this show.

25. Cupcakester says:

I don’t understand why they would even premiere something on a Thursday. Thursday is chock full of favorites, and people have their nights full with watching those. They don’t have time to check out a new show. They should’ve looked for a less packed time slot. This seems to be a serious marketing mistake made very often. Is there something I’m missing?

Not entirely related, but I am wondering if OnDemand, DVR and Hulu are calculated into viewers? I know this number is only going to get higher as time goes on. Personally, I see no reason in getting a TV when I can catch the episode on Hulu the next day. AND, if I really must see a premiere, then I just catch it at the gym.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Yes, the ratings do take into account DVR use, and factor those numbers into the overall ratings calculations. They can’t factor them into the ‘over-night’ calculations, but they do add to the rating numbers via a DVR+1 [day] and DVR+3 [days]. A somewhat imperfect method, but the best they can do at this point. No question about it, DVR usage is on the rise, and it [and other means of watching shows – like on Amazon/Hulu/OnD, etc.] somehow must be included in the ratings for a TV series [broadcast and cable] in primetime in order to give a fair assessment of the success of a show and network.

26. Danielle H. says:

I was going to check it out, but the problem is that Grey’s overruns by a minute and I already have Suits going on @ 10, so my DVR wouldn’t record it unless I did some fancy starting late BS.. so I just opted not to even bother. Looks like I was right because this will be cancelled ASAP.

27. Timmah says:

I didn’t watch Do No Harm, but isn’t it basically the same premise as that Christian Slater show from a few years ago? I mean, if they can’t come up with something original, they deserve what they get.

28. Disco Dave says:

Person of Interest is a real find for CBS. The complexity and mythology of the show keeps it interesting.

29. Ashley says:

I was going to give “Do No Harm” a try until they decided to yank “Grimm” off the schedule until March to make room for it. Dear NBC: when launching a show based, however loosely, on a monster/horror tale, don’t alienate the audience that watches the only other monster/horror show on your network.

30. erikh says:

NBC should have kept “Awake”. It was much better than “Do No Harm”. 4 episodes max before it’s pulled.

31. S says:

Why would you watch ‘Do No Harm’ on live TV when they have had it on Amazon Free TV and on demand for over a week now? Why watch it live with commercials if you can watch it a week early without?

32. NCSouthernBelle says:

I watched Do No Harm last night; it wasn’t bad, it just had an “it’s been done” feel to it. The best way I can describe it is a Grey’s Anatomy meets United States of Tara. I’ll pass.

33. Maria says:

POI was, as always, edge-of-your-seat fantastic. Well-written, solid acting, great mix of dialogue and action, and Bear is one adorable dog!!

34. tahina says:

NBC is an embarrassment. Can’t come up with a decent show for almost decade. :-\

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, except for the fact that REVOLUTION is this season’s most successful new drama.

• Alienate says:

Just because it got a few more eyeballs than the usual NBC fare, doesn’t make it good. Plus, they then proceeded to make it’s fans wait forever to see the second half of the season. (for the record, I gave up on it after 3 eps and think it’s so full of plot holes it should be renamed Swiss Revolution )

• Annika says:

Doesn’t change the fact that it is NOT a decent show. I gave it 5 episodes at least, it was terrible. (The only NBC show I DO watch is Parenthood.)

35. Michelle says:

DUH. This show didn’t work years ago when it was Christian Slater and it’s not going to work now.

36. Scott says:

I had zero expectations for Do No Harm and was pleasantly surprised by it. Trouble is it seems to have been pushed as a medical show, and its not – it just happens to have a hospital setting. The medical drama audience will hate it and switch off, and the sci-fi/fantasy/horror audience (which is small to begin with) won’t find it.

At least it was an attempt to do something different, but it really seems like the only thing US audiences can handle is rubbish like Two a Half Big Men Banging Your Mother.

37. KC says:

There are 2 NBC shows we watch, and it’s usually On Demand..30 Rock & Community..so now we are down to just the one..for 13 weeks and then I guess it’s goodbye NBC…yeah, like NBC Pres said over the summer…they know the American audience!

38. stevie says:

Person of Interest.
    thank you jonathan nolan, jim caviezel, michael emerson & co for a show that is so under the radar (no VD-scandal-bones-like TVLine exposure), yet so amazing week by week.

39. Emily says:

Wow. I think some CW shows have premiered higher than that.

40. I remember when Awake was canceled, a lot of people said they wouldn’t trust NBC with another new show like this. I know I won’t start watching something on NBC unless it makes it to the 2nd season at least. Viewers matter, NBC. Your ratings are your on damn fault. No one wants to invest in a show that you won’t even get behind.

41. Jake says:

I question why NBC would try yet another split/ alternate reality when they just tried awake.

42. Deb says:

I actually like Do No Harm…and as far as the rating go, i think it’s fair to assume that a LOT of people watched it early as it was available online a week in advance, so i don’t think those ratings really define how popular the show will be…just a thought

• Emily says:

I thought the point of having it available pre-air is so that (good) word-of-mouth will spread and more people will tune in when it does premiere. New Girl’s pilot, for example, was available early as well, and its numbers ended up being pretty big because people were talking about it. DNH’s numbers are not going to skyrocket next week. They may rise some, but these ratings are not indicative of a bright future.

43. jon says:

i didnt watch Do No Harm cause it had already been previewed on Hulu earlier, so didnt wanna watch it again, but once it comes on each week i plan to watch

44. kirads09 says:

I am bummed this didn’t premier well ratings wise. I really liked the first episode. I am not a TV Exec, but I don’t understand. With a new show that shows these early signs of struggling why do they have it directly opposite powerful established hits like Scandal, Elemenatary and even Suits tonight. Seems if NBC wants this to succeed, they could put it on a different night/time against somewhat softer competition. I think when Grimm comes back (March?) they should put Do No Harm immediately following. It would really benefit from that lead in and subject matter seems to compliment. Rather than following a night of comedy?

45. Don D says:

It seems like everyone is not talking about “Big Bang Theory” yet again. I was waiting to see what the ratings would be like with an original episode, and they beat Idol baaaad! Have watched the show from the start, and it is genius! (Pun intended). For a show in its 6th season, it shows no signs of slowing down. Even the astronaut plot with Howard didn’t jump the shark!