Scandal Scoop: Huge Time Jump Coming! Plus - Shonda Rhimes (Lightly) Spoils Liv's Reaction to the Big D and Scott Foley's Top-Secret Role

Scandal Season 3 Spoilers Fitz OliviaABC’s Scandal returns this Thursday (at 10/9c) with the second-to-last episode in the current election-tampering arc, and all indications are that the you-know-what is about to hit the proverbial fan.

Below, series creator Shonda Rhimes previews the climax of Season 2a, teases the final nine-episode plot (and the “pivotal” role Scott Foley plays in it) and sheds light on Olivia’s surprising/disappointing reaction to Fitz’s big D-bomb.

RELATED | Scandal Scoop: Shonda Rhimes Previews Her Favorite Scene Ever

TVLINE | Does this Thursday’s episode pick up right where the last one left off — with Fitz dropping the divorce bombshell on Mellie?
It picks up the next morning-ish.

TVLINE | How quickly does Liv get wind of it?
Not that quickly. By the time she hears about it she’s got problems of her own. Perhaps it’s not the good news that we’d hope it would be for her.

TVLINE | Should we think for a second that Liv might accept Edison’s proposal?
Now that we know about the election rigging and we know the lengths that she has gone to, I think it’s possible that Edison can be an escape route for Olivia. I don’t think anyone believes that Edison is the love of her life. But Edison can feel like a very safe escape route. He’s the guy she’s supposed to want because technically on paper he has all the attributes of a guy that she’s supposed to want.

TVLINE | Do you see Fitz learning that Olivia knew of the tampered election as a big game-changing moment – if and when it comes?

RELATED | Scandal Scoop: Was Fitz’s Divorce Bombshell Brain Injury-Induced?

TVLINE | The current arc ends with Episode 13 on Feb. 7, correct?
It ends-ish, because the repercussions [continue]. And then things start again in Episode 14 [on Feb. 14]. Episode 14 is 10 months later than 13.

TVLINE | Can you shed any light on what the final nine-episode arc will be about?
Um… no. [Laughs] And not because I’m being coy. But because we’re in the midst of writing it and planning it and figuring it out as we go, which is what we’ve been doing the whole time.

TVLINE | Does Scott Foley figure into it?
Scott’s character plays a pivotal role in the final nine-episode arc. And he plays a person who is not what he seems on any level. At any time. Ever.

TVLINE | Is romance in the cards for him?
Possibly.

1. CJ says:

A 10 month time jump? Such a long time!!

2. Jon says:

So excited for this. I’m so glad they decided to end the arc at the original episode 13 rather then drag it out to complete the full season.

3. Did I miss something or have they ever addressed the Vice President’s Chief of Staff murdering the reporter Quinn was with? When the season started we hit the ground running on Quinn but did we ever here about the murder?

• tp says:

Yes. Well, sort of. There was no evidence leading to him (Billy Chambers) because of the Gladiators. Then Charlie “took care of him” per Huck’s instructions because they believed that Chambers ordered the hit on Amanda Turner when it was really Cyrus. So poor Gideon will never have justice for being murdered.

4. intelliwoman says:

Stopped watching when I realized there wasn’t a single character to root for except maybe Josh Malina’s character. of course since I despise kerry Washington (she is so arrogant and one note in anything she’s in) that didn’t leave much anyway

• Okay says:

Stopped watching yet you HAD to comment on this article. The irony is lost on you, clearly.

• Jackie says:

Stop going into discussions about the show if u don’t want to watch it!!! Wow pathetic!! You think as fans of scandal we want to read your post??!?

• Sue says:

If you despise her, it seems so puzzling as to why you would ever have started watching or wasting your time commenting on her. She is the pivotal character in this show. No one here is interested in your opinion.

• eyenomyworth says:

:DYou are so hating right now! Little jelli?

5. FeFe says:

ONE NOTE!?! Who are you watching? Kerry Washington is far from one note. She plays levels that are clearly not written on paper. When it comes to Olivia and she gives great performances. You have your opinion about her being arrogant and that’s up to you but I think you are totally off the mark on both. FYI, the great thing about the show is that it is not written in the style of EVERY OTHER show. As humans we are not black and white we are gray and I like that they’re gray elements to each of these characters. They do what they have to do to get the job done.

• Respect says:

Right On FeFe I agree Olivia has to be tough this is what SHE does. You have to be resilient and
      Ruthless In order to make it out there in the political arena.

• Karen says:

I completely agree. I cannot fathom anyone’s disdain for Olivia’s strong-willed character. And Kerry Washington plays her to the hilt and beyond. She is elegant, arrogant, determined, aggressive, resilient, remarkable and the list goes on. She has to be, as you so astutely pointed out, to survive and be as legendary as she is WHERE she is. Come on, it’s Washington, DC for crying out loud. I think the writing is impeccable and the storylines are fresh and thought-provoking. I spend many hours kicking myself for actually rooting for Fitzlivia when I KNOW it’s wrong because he belongs to Mellie. But, guilty pleasure be danged, I’m in it for the long haul.

• Shuayb says:

Your comment is seconded…. Kerry is amazing and the main reason I watch the show…

• Phyllis S. says:

I too agree with FeFe. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! The chemistry betweeen Olivia and The President is magnetic, and sexy, and it’s like I can feel there emotions through the tv screen. Now that’s great acting.

• Lola_Getz says:

“Arrogant” is a substitute word used by a certain kind of person to describe someone who is black, when the word they really want to use is “uppity.”

6. Stacy says:

Kerry Washington is fierce, amazing, talented, intelligent and judging by the cast events and interviews very funny and probably a lot of fun to hangout with. Hey, who can blame her for being arrogant then. Go ahead, girl! Plus, she OWNS the role of Olivia Pope. You’re not “one note” when you’re tasked with playing a character that’s as “grey” as Olivia.

7. forwarddad says:

Intelliwoman is a troll. She/He has posted this exact post numerous times.

8. Hurley says:

Such a strong show, and such a powerful cast. But I think the show would work better with 12-13 episodes per season, so I am happy that the final nine episodes will be different. Also I was wondering what happened to the Abby/David relationship…

• Stacy says:

I agree. I wonder if they’ll do this next season. It keeps the pace moving. It also allows for almost two seasons in one!

9. Josh says:

So I hope the show doesn’t expect anyone to believe that a president who leaves his pregnant wife and stats up wit another woman will EVER get re-elected. I know Shonda-land has heightened reality(and a season 1 Fitz which no longer exists) but come on…this is America…one President almost got impeached for an affair.)

• It was not going to get impeach for the affair instead for lying to congress about the affair.

• Christie says:

You’re right, he wasn’t almost impeached for the actual act of having an affair, but rather for lying about the events. However, I have to agree with Josh, there is no way a president gets re-elected after leaving his pregnant wife, who by the way is pregnant with ‘America’s baby’. Especially if he took up with Olivia right afterwards. I’m not conservative in that sense and even I cringe when I think about it. He’d look like a total creep.
        Olivia’s knows this and she and Mellie will join forces once again to ensure be stays in his marriage.
        I’m more interested in the election rigging storyline right now. I really wonder how they plan to wrap this up. It can’t be that the information goes public because they’d all be in jail. Plus, I think when Fitz finds out there are going to be HUGE problems between him and Olivia. It’ll take him a long time to get over the betrayal. This show is so addicting!

• I don’t think he wants to be President after this term. And I don’t think America’s baby is for Fitz. What woman knows about the other woman and how close they are and waves it off. She is about Power and her own policical agenda don’t get me wrong I do like her but she goes off the deep end. She is quick to remind Fitz that she gave up her career for his kids and the White House….Really. most women would leave their job for 4 years and have people wait on them hand and foot. She still wants Olivia around, when she messed up with Fitz She has to call Liv or Cyrus calls her to get him to change his mind.

• thats not the president’s baby via dna

• scandalhooked says:

Yes. But times are changing in America. A New Way of thinking about individuals freedoms is upon us.Clinton almost got impeached but he didn’t. The country is legalizing marijuana which would have knocked a politician out of if they smoked a couple decades ago. Presidents are now talking abt gay marriage. The Military now have women in combat. We are finally becoming more like Europe in being more open minded. So I don’t think a President getting a divorce while in Office will be far fetched in the near future They are human just like us and marriages fall apart all the time. Why should they stay in a broken marriage for 4 to 8 years for show?

• Cynthia Culverhouse says:

Yes, “times they are a-changing”, if you can have same-sex marriages you should be able to have divorces, and it might actually free up more time for the president to be concerned with matters of the government. He will need a woman, as most men do, for Fitz, preferably a new First Lady. In this case President Grant already has his eyes on Olivia Pope.

• bigdede says:

You believe Fritz is different than he was season 1. In what ways? I am very interested because I also sense something different in Fritz but I can’t really put my finger on it. In season one, he had that affair with that woman. He still loved Liv but he let her go. He tried to leave Mellie. A lot of things are the same but there is something different about Fritz. He seems a little angier but that’s to be expected since he’s so unhappy right now.

• Jo says:

I believe he realizes just how much he loves Liv. Shes willing to do anything for him even going against her own personal morals. if she was willing to do that to make him president and she has been hanging in there through all the b.s i think he knows its time to step up and be the man that she made the president like she said in a earlier episode. He still has to weed out all the ppl that he cant trust either because yes Verna was willing to sell her soul but she was all about herself in the end and he knows everybody thats more worried about power rather than him cant be trusted

10. Christian says:

I’ve loved this show since the very first episode and I’m so happy that people are discovering this show. I was never a big fan of Grey’s or Private Practice but Shonda I am so grateful that you created this show! The writing and acting are impeccable and I hope it just keeps growing in the ratings!

11. Patricia says:

I started watching this show this year on Netflix and I’m so hooked now. It’s so good and Kerry Washington is amazing

12. moobear says:

#savejames
    Sure right now he’s basically the big boobed co-ed wondering into the dark alone, but just maybe Shondra won’t kill him…..#savejames

13. mariam says:

A 10 month jump from one episode to the next! Wow they’re just flying through his presidency! I dont know how I feel about that… Guess ill just have to keep wayching!

14. joy says:

I think Quinn is Verna and Jerry”s daughter. And since Jerry would not publicly acknowledge Quinn, Vera was mad Fitz being glorified as Jerry”s son.

• Jackie says:

I think that is way too out there on the impossible scale!!! I think Verna was behind killing Fitz but because she went to Olivas office and at the table with Mellie and Cy she said she saw Hollis on that phone, which wasn’t his, she heard Hollis mention a girl named Becky, and talked about the hotel. When all along Hollis did not call or pay Becky this time. So how could Verna know all of that info?? She wanted to frame Hollis. Why Verna wanted to kill Fitz, I think she is all about carma and she got cancer right after she rigged the election. Maybe getting him out of office was the only way she thought she could make it right and I think that there is some other reason that is in Shonda land.

• joy says:

thanks for the reply. That could also be true

• SilverFox54 says:

You’re definitely on to something, because now we know it wasn’t Hollis’ money, and he didn’t do it, and he (Hollis) also said it wasn’t his phone that they found. Verna said she saw him put the phone in the drawer, he sounded genuine when he said it wasn’t his phone, and Verna has nothing to lose, nothing to look forward to, she’s dying of cancer.

15. joy says:

Verna had Fitz assassinated. What did she have to lose? She is terminally ill. So what would she receive, a death sentence?

16. Disneyfan says:

Mellie tried to have him killed and that’s now his way out of the marriage….

17. BJ says:

Scenario 1: Verna is Fitz’s biological mother. Verna will reveal this truth on her death bed. We will learn that Olivia new this truth all along. This tragic event, along with the election rigging will bring Fitz and Mellie closer together. Fitz will be unaware of Mellie’s involvement in the election rigging.

Scenario 2: Fitz and Mellie’s baby will suddenly die of Sids. This tragic event will bring Fitz and Mellie closer together. Verna and another individual will be responsible for the tragic event on President Grant.

18. SilverFox54 says:

Is it Fitz’s baby? Somebody call Maury, he will find out for all concerned, “Fitz, you are NOT the father Imagine if she was artificially inseminated and the donor was swished from Fitz to the Cyrus’ husband. Now that would really be scandalous.

19. bg says:

Love the show but the way Fitz treated her after the closet sex was so bad. I wanted to kick him in the groin.

20. HUNTER says:

When is the next episode coming on???