Idology: Diva Contestant Deluge on Idol! Plus: Nicki Vs. Mariah -- Who Was Right? (Not Randy!)

It’s not every day that American Idol prayers get answered, and so while it’s unlikely we’ll ever get a Senate hearing about Candice Glover’s confounding elimination during Season 11 Vegas Week, let’s nevertheless have a moment of thanks that she’s getting a shot at redemption this year.

Indeed, Candice’s fantastic “Syrup and Honey” was the highlight of Idol‘s second week of Season 12 auditions, but it wasn’t the only cause for celebration. On this week’s Idology, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I take a dive into the Charlotte, NC and Baton Rouge, LA auditions and dish the multitude of divas — from a variety of genres — who’ve got us excited to see how Season 12 plays out.

PHOTOS | American Idol: 20 Songs We’d Ban Forever!

Melinda and I also discuss that dustup between Nicki Minaj and the two-headed opponent of Mariah Carey and Randy Jackson, in which the candy-haired rapper barked that contestants shouldn’t be forced to come to auditions already settled on their musical genre of choice. Did she have a point? Or should she have deferred to the Dawg’s “30 years” of experience? Plus, despite Melinda’s protests, I nominate a few contestants whose Golden Tickets should be revoked. If that’s not enough, there’s a Doctor Who-Idol parallel, and references to Kristy Lee Cook, The Bachelor and a very special performance of “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.”

So press play below on this week’s Idology, then hit the comments with your opinions. And for all my Idol news, interviews, recaps and photo galleries, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Templar says:

Will the last one out the door, please turn off the lights?

2. Sam says:

I get the best vibes from:
    1. Charlie the “mysterious man.”
    2. The young black rocker girl.
    3. The teenage girl that sang Sam Cooke.

If one of them makes it to the live rounds, I’ll be rooting for them all the way.

3. Blinged Up says:

Yippee! Monday Morning Procrastination Idology!!! Love it.

I thought this was a great week of Idol. Have to be on Team Melinda over the Charlie Askew debate. I thought his performance was riveting.

Found several favorites this week. I think it’s going to be a great season! (But, I’m an Idol loon, so I always feel this way at this point.) :)

4. PattiH says:

OMG!! I love you two together!! Can’t stop laughing!

5. kris says:

I don’t watch Idol at all, but love these two!!!!

6. Name That Tune says:

Have noticed a return to the idea that this is a singing competition. Only seen the guitar once – not by a WG either.
    Lot of great female singers, but truthfully, will the voters be able to tell them apart? Will we get the boring or not relevant feedback from the fans? Seems heavily weighted with country artists. I’m predicting another country idol as the winner’s. Just not sure which WG that will be.

7. IMHO says:

Ditto – just can’t watch this year, but love Idology!

8. Word Money G says:

Idology rocks. Not always 100% accurate, but always interesting.

9. forwarddad says:

After with Michael re: Charlie. Not ready. Come back two years.

• ben says:

I definitely thought Charlie was a bit raw and could improve with time. Actually, what I thought was that he was just slightly too operatic, and probably what he needs is a vocal coach who changes his vowels slightly.

Having said that, I hope Charlie goes far this year. His voice was really unique and special, and he seems to have come to a place in life where he is comfortable with being himself (which is a good way to be).

10. Bonnie says:

The frog killer girl looked like she could be Melinda Doolittle’s offspring! No joke.

11. Marilyn says:

Michael, love your commentary, but disagree completely about Charlie Askew. His rendition of “Nature Boy” moved me to tears–first time that’s ever happened to me re: Idol.

12. MB says:

There are so many good contestants this season it is hard to pick a favorite. I know everyone is hoping for a female win but there are some great guys too. It will be interesting to see who will make it through Hollywood and Vegas. Sometimes the ones we think are on the top wind up cut before we even get a chance to know them better. I am more excited about this season than I thought would be.

I just want to say something that has nothing to do with this weeks Idolology. Everyone is always saying that Idol needs Simon, yet the X-Factor has Simon and it has the lowest ratings of all the singing shows. I am so disappointed in the X-factor and in Simon. To me this season of the X-factor was even worse than last season and after watching that I couldn’t wait for Idol to return, new judges and all. Yes, The Voice was great this year (1st season I really enjoyed) but none of the other shows can hold a candle to Idol. No matter who the judges are and it is because of the contestants. With Idol we get to know and love them. That’s why Idol has more success with their winners. By the time the Finale rolls around we are loyal fans who feel invested in our favorites and will support their success. Idol is not just a show it is a phenomenon.

• Bonnie says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself! The media is in love with The Voice, but the talent isn’t as good as idols and their contestants never do anything worth noting after the show. That show is mostly about the judges than anything.

• Jason says:

The X FActor has neutered Simon! He’s not the same Simon! The mentor thing has him give false good comments to his groups when they sucked (Emblem 3 sucked have the time but he praised them)!! So people no longer believe him. Ther mentor/judge concept doesn’t work. Judges should be impartial.

• deedee says:

Could not agree with you more! The mentoring aspect of both X Factor and The Voice are one of the reasons I can’t bear to watch either show. Idol judges might have their favourites, and/or be mouthpieces for Nigel’s favourites, but at least they’re not personally gaining from someone’s win.
          X Factor also suffers from bad hosts, boring judges, a bad format, and horrible production values, so the mentoring thing is not the only issue. I find it totally unwatchable and can’t believe Simon is going for a 3rd season! LA Reid and Britney are so lucky to be out.

• Mafs95 says:

I think the format of The X Factor is interesting, but the way this season developed was awful. I watch the UK version and I like it, not as much as I love Idol or The Voice, but still… it’s much better than the trainwreck the US version was! They need better hosts, less “fake” drama, better mentors/judges and better contestants.

The major problem was that the contestants were average, only Carly, Jennel and 5H were interesting in my opinion. I know some people have their favorites and probably disagree with mine, but I guess most people think the same way I do: in X Factor, there were only 2 or 3 contestants we liked, contrary to Idol or The Voice where I usually really like 7 or 8 contestants per season.

• Me says:

Simon gave us One Direction, so I don’t like him anymore.

13. Brigette says:

Love. You. Guys. I’m getting more excited for this season now.

14. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

This week’s standouts were Candice, Janelle, and (sorry Mike, I’m with Melinda on this one) Charlie. How come no mention of Jimmy Smith or Paul Jolley? They stood out to me, anyway. Do you not want to embrace the fact that another white guy might go all the way? And while Nicki’s style isn’t my personal favorite, she may be the best judge ever to sit on that panel. (Simon originally held that title, but he blew it in Season 9.)
    P.S. Melinda, why did you not call out Mike for putting the hate on Sanjaya? I thought he was your baby boy.

15. James A says:

Thank you Slezak for making these videos now 10 mins + Always hated it when they were less then that!

• sg54 says:

They’re still not long enough though! I remember when his videos used to be 30 min +. Season 10 videos were always 4 or 5 videos put together. I wish he would go back to that.

• asherlev1 says:

Same. *sighs wistfully*

• Tusk says:

Let’s face it, the 3-5 episode format was created to tell the tale of “The Slayer”. Her Haliens will always have that reltelling through Idoloonies ;)

Also the drama that was the Casey Save (resulting in a one time top 11 tour) and the ‘early’ Pia Elimination….Love S10 :D

• KK says:

Agree! I love these videos and always wish they were longer! So fun to have yall together in the same room!!

I LOVED Janelle, Candice, Paul Jolley, and Megan Miller. I can’t believe yall didn’t talk about Burnell Taylor. I REALLY liked him.

16. emmuzka says:

I was surprised how few songs I recognized. I’m European and the only ones I knew beforehand were Nature Boy and the Adam Lambert song. So where the songs somehow especially American or did the contestants consistently choose songs that weren’t recognizable?

• darcy's evil twin says:

emmauzka – Most of the songs were easily recognized here in America. If you didn’t recognize “Summertime” (from the first week – New York auditions) you haven’t been watching American Idol. Stick with us and you’ll learn some new tunes!

17. kazamajin807 says:

If you think Linda`s story is something…, last pay-cheque my brother’s girlfriend also easily made 4152 sitting there 20 hour’s a week an their house and their classmate’s aunt`s neighbour done this for three months and earned over 4152 part-time at there pc. the advice on this page… pie21.ℂom

18. Kate says:

One of the saddest moments of my week is reaching the end of a new Idology.

19. Teeny Bikini says:

I just love you guys! Keep it coming. Thanks!!!!!!

20. Bob says:

Loved the way you inserted clips from Doctor Who, “The Snowmen”. I am looking forward to more Doctor Who reviews from you, Michael, when the season starts up again on March 30.
    Only time will tell how this season of Idol and its judging will stack up against past years. I have a good feeling about the judges though. Nicki has been a pleasant surprise.

21. Eli says:

Eh, the episode gets cut off for me when they are discussing the doctor dude who sang the maxwell song? Right in the middle of a sentence? Anyone else have this issue?

• darcy's evil twin says:

No, but my adobe flashplayer crashed when they were talking about the kid that looks like Brent Lowenstern (Charlie – the guy that sang “Nature Boy”). You might just try reloading and fast-forwarding past the point where it’s stopping.

22. Mary says:

Love your show, but I have to disagree with Melinda, although talented I think too many Country and R & B are going through. I think they need more variety, hopefully They do have it just has not shown them.

23. Jason says:

THIS IS AWESOME! Can Melinda be in the same room with Michael for every Idology? :D

24. Mafs95 says:

I’m really enjoying this season… great talent and I’m liking the judges (except Randy, but I think Idol wouldn’t be the same if I couldn’t laugh at some of his stupidity) a lot!

The girls clearly are better than the guys, at least from what I’ve listened to. My favourites were Candice Glover and Janelle Arthur!

I love Janelle and I’m not even a country fan but it seems so raw and so genuine when she sings and her voice… just amazing!

Candice is just excellent! I saw some videos from her on Youtube and I LOVED her “Call Me Maybe” cover, particularly. She is really current and her voice is big and powerful but at the same times it has so much control and restraint.

25. darcy's evil twin says:

I loved Michael and Melinda being in the same room! Awesome. I wish they would have discussed more of the contestants but it was still a GREAT “Idology”. One of my favorite parts of the week. There were a number of very good auditions this week and I hope it bodes well for this season.

26. ali427 says:

Michael and Melinda are the best combo EVER!! Witty, articulate, pitch-perfect timing–they need a live talk show. I could listen to them make fun of Randy Jackson all day, every day!

27. CharChar says:

Comparing Charlie with Sanjaya? Wow, Michael! Although I don’t agree with that comparison, I do love Idology!

• dj says:

I totally agree with it. I heard Sanjaya live summer before last, and he was amazing. Even people who were there to make fun of him left with total respect. I think if Sanjaya had waited a few years and taken some lessons, he would have a different career outcome today, but at this point, people won’t even give him a chance. They consider him a joke. Michael is worried that is what will happen to Charlie, and that’s a very real possibility.

28. Dayrah says:

Ahh I could just watch a whole Idology episode of the two of you making fun of Randy
    :-)