TVLine Items: Once Upon a Time Adds Alphas Alum, Ken Marino Joins NBC Pilot and More

Once Upon a Time SpoilersIt’s time to put on your sparkly thinking caps, Once Upon a Time fans, and speculate on which fairytale character is next to arrive upon the scene.

Exhibit A: John Pyper-Ferguson (Alphas, Brothers & Sisters) has booked a major guest-starring role on the ABC drama, EW.com reports. Exhibit B: He will be playing Ben, a widower striving to help his son cope with the death of his mother.

Hmm. Was Ben’s wife shot by a hunter in the woods? If so, we have at least one theory….

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Exclusive: The Beanstalk’s Giant Meets His (Female!) Jack

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well….

* The CW’sBeauty and the Beast has promoted Heroes/Covert Affairs alum Sendhil Ramamurthy to series regular status — weeks ahead of his Feb. 28 debut as a charismatic ADA spearheading the search for the vigilante (aka Vincent).

Party Down’s Ken Marino and The Daily Show‘s Aasif Mandvi have joined the NBC comedy pilot The Gates, which examines the 15 minutes that span picking up and dropping off kids at elementary school.

* HBO has double-secretly confirmed that Girls will be back for a 12-episode Season 3.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Bones, Horror Story, Smash, Grey’s Once and More!

• In ratings news, American Horror Story: Asylum‘s Wednesday finale drew 2.3 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating among, down some 26 percent versus the Season 1 closer.

Katie‘s on-camera interview with Manti Te’o (and his parents) netted the daytime talker its highest Household rating since its Sept. 10, 2012 debut, surging 30 percent over its prior four-week average.

ABC has changed the name of its celebrity diving series to — wait for it — Splash, which premieres Tuesday, March 19.

• ESPN reporter Rachel Nichols has been plucked away by CNN and Turner Sports. She will cover the NBA and MLB for Turner and work major sporting events for CNN. She is also due to get her own weekend sports program on CNN, premiering later this year.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. TMW says:

Splash is the name of the Tom Daley hosted celebrity diving competition on ITV in the UK. It’s apparently one of the worst shows to ever air on British TV. Some have already taken to dubbing it Splat.

2. Anna says:

Hook’s dad? The theory seems to be that it’s a Hook origin story episode because the little boy who was already cast looks like he could be a younger version of Hook.

3. Sarah says:

Yay Aasif Mandvi! Love him.

4. opus says:

How does Sendhil Ramamurthy get these parts? He was highly disliked on Heros although I personally found him more unlikeable (and useless) on Covert Affairs. I hope he doesn’t ruin Beauty and the Beast.

• wednesday says:

Why did they have to put him on Beauty & the Beast! I was thrilled when he got killed off of Covert Affairs. Season 3 was the best season & alot of that had to do with the fact that Jai was no longer on the canvas. I can already see the writing on the wall for Beauty & the Beast. People are speculating that it will be canceled which really makes me sad because it’s one of my favorite shows this season, but with his addition to the show, it seems almost a guarantee to get canceled!=( It’s almost enough to make me not want to watch anymore. I’ll give him a few episodes & see how it goes.

5. Gilda says:

My first thought is always Baelfire. Always. It’s never him, but I always think it’s going to be.

6. Martin says:

Not fair, when I read OUAT adds Alphas alum I thought finally Azita Ghanizada gets to play Jasmine.

7. Russ says:

Can HBO just renew girls already. We all know that it will happen.

8. likestrek says:

He is the least interesting person on Covert Affairs but then I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to ruin a show that is the worst remake of a kickass series since Bionic Woman…

Yeah, the guy probably is Hook’s father which is kinda lame actually…

9. The Squatch says:

As far as John Pyper-Ferguson… I know this just shows my age, but he will always be Pete from “The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.” to me. I always enjoy his work.

10. Liis says:

Bambi’s dad

• Britta Unfiltered says:

When I first read this, I laughed, but then I remembered ABC is owned by Disney, and they can pretty much incorporate any Disney movie into OUAT that they want. It doesn’t even have to be a fairy tale. Which I wish they wouldn’t do. They seem to be starting to veer away from real fairy tale stories into other territories like they did with Frankenstein. Even Captain Hook/Peter Pan aren’t real fairy tale characters. But thank goodness they brought Hook into the story, eh? :) He and Robert Carlyle are what’s keeping me watching at this point.

11. Kelly says:

I was thinking maybe this is the huntsman’s dad and how he ends up being raised by wolfs.

12. I’ll immediately grasp your rss feed as I can’t in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.