Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Bones, Horror Story, Smash, Grey's, NCIS, Once, Five-0 and More!

InsideLine_0124_DWWho’s returning to Bones? Was the latest Horror Story all a hoax? What’s the bullet on Grey’s Anatomy‘s new whip-cracker? Who’s the new gal in charge on Smash? And what “big” surprise is coming to Once Upon a Time‘s diner? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED | American Horror Story: Asylum Finale Recap: Going Out With a (Bloody) Bang

American Horror Story: Asylum | Some seem a bit confused about what the season finale’s callback to the premiere’s Jude/Lana scene meant – namely, there is speculation that perhaps Lana fabricated her asylum stay in the name of selling a book. What show boss Ryan Murphy shared after a press screening of the finale, though, puts that to rest. “Our jumping-off point for the whole season [was to have Lana] go in there, become a prisoner, do her shock-corridor tenure and then go back to tear the joint down,” he said. “That was the ending we had from the very beginning [and] I thought it was a very heroic ending for her.” Murphy also revealed that “for a split second” they considered having Bloody Face Jr. turn out to be Season 1’s Ben Harmon, “But I really like that the seasons have their own story.” Looking ahead to Season 3, Murphy teased that the story will be “more historical in nature,” include a “star-crossed-lovers-from-different-tracks thing” and perhaps not be quite as deviant as Asylum’s antics. “As a person right now,” he explained, “I do feel lighter and wanting to embrace something a little bit more fun.”

RELATED | Jessica Capshaw Previews ‘Creepy’ Grey’s Twist, Weighs In on TV’s Amputation Craze

Grey’s Anatomy | Seattle Grace won’t know what hit it when Constance Zimmer (Entourage) kicks off her recurring run tonight at 9/8c, playing physicians’ adviser Dr. Alana Cahill. With the hospital needing belt-tightening in the wake of the lawsuit whallop, Alana is “your total f–king nightmare,” Jessica Capshaw told me, “because she’s the person that comes in and delivers the bottom line, talking about how unnecessary people are, essentially. She talks about how everyone can function more efficiently, and that means people lose jobs. She’s the bad news bear, man!” Then speaking out of character, Capshaw declares herself “a big fan” of the new Grey’s addition, raving, “Constance is fantastic.”Montego_Glover

Smash | With the NBC series introducing at least one other show-within-the-show, titled Hit List, during Season 2, we’re going to need a second Linda. To that end, TVLine has learned that Tony-nominated actress Montego Glover (Memphis, right) has landed the recurring role of Marissa, a stage manager who is described as “compassionate and authoritative.” Smash launches its sophomore run on Tuesday, Feb. 5.

And now, a smattering of questions from the reader mailbag…..

The Bones episode that you and Michael were talking about on Spoiler Alert!, the one dealing with Sweets’ childhood, does it have a title yet? Also related to Sweets: Is Danielle Panabaker returning anytime soon? –Ed
I’ve got a two-for-one special for you, Ed: The aforementioned semi-Sweets episode, “The Fact in the Fiction,” is tentatively scheduled to air Feb. 25. But you’ll want to also tune in Feb. 11, when Panabaker reprises her role as FBI Special Agent Olivia Sparling. (That episode, “The Shot in the Dark,” is the one in which a gunned-down Brennan “reunites” with her mother.)

RELATED | Bones‘ David Boreanaz Teases ‘Tense’ Times for Booth/Brennan, ‘Very Shocking’ End to Season 8

Can you please give us some Once Upon A Time scoop, especially about Emma and Neal? –Shelly
I can only advise you to keep an eye out for the next episode of TVLine’s Spoiler Alert! But as a make-good, I offer an exclusive photo of the Giant sipping mead (or beer) at Granny’s in the Feb. 10 episode:
JOSH DALLAS, JORGE GARCIA, GINNIFER GOODWIN, LEE ARENBERG

PHOTOS | Exclusive First Look: Once Upon a Time‘s Giant Meets His (Female) Jack

This is not really a scoop request (or maybe it is), but the press release for the NCIS episode “Canary” (Episode 10×14) seems to be lacking guest cast. –Daniel
You seem crafty, Daniel, so maybe you already dug this up. But if not, that guest cast includes Chuck alum/imminent Bones guest star Vik Sahay (playinga  computer hacker), Ethan Rains (General Hospital: Night Shift) and Geoffrey Wade (aka Don’s Mad Men dentist). Did I mention Vik Sahay?

When is Jamie Lee Curtis making her re-appearance as NCIS‘ Dr. Ryan? I thought she was perfect with Mark Harmon. –Nancy
“I actually speak to her all the time,” NCIS boss Gary Glasberg said when I ran your Q by him. “She is a huge fan of this show and of Mark Harmon, and she would love to come back. But right now, there’s just a lot of talking. Nothing to report at the moment.”

VIDEO | NCIS Preview: A Blast from the Past Knocks Abby Off Her ‘A’ Game

Is it too soon to ask about Awkward? – Jayna
Actually, no – because the show has just put out a Season 3 casting call for the role of Collin, a surprisingly charming classmate who will distract Jenna some, even to the point that she ignores Matty’s calls. Then again, Jenna as a whole is not quite herself when the MTV series returns. Something about not getting much sleep at home….

Do you have any scoop on Hawaii Five-0? –Dave
The scoop is that, suddenly yet surely, roller-skating is en vogue again! Because just as Bones‘ Angela is going undercover on a roller derby team in an upcoming episode, so is Five-0‘s Catherine, when one of the sport’s top draws turns up dead.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Kaye says:

I need castle scoop!!

• Sally says:

Me too! Am I the only that took Beckett’s smile after Castle’s daddy/daughter comment at the end of the last episode to mean that she just MIGHT be pregnant?!?! Or was everyone too busy complaining about how boring it was..?

2. madbengalsfan85 says:

Ridiculously excited for “The Shot in the Dark”!!!!

3. Lexa says:

Oh lordy, no more Sweets spoilers. Just no!!

• Bored says:

The only spoiler i want on Sweets is the one where he gets killed off. Most useless character on Bones. EVER

• Marisa says:

For frakk sake how many episodes does a supporting character need anyway? The last time I looke the show was called BONES. Beyond pissed now. S8 Fail

• Matty says:

Just spin off Sweets so I can get back to actually enjoying watching Bones again. I detest this character. He is the worst. The worst.

• veronica says:

The show may be called Bones, but in my opinion, Bones is the most annoying character. Season after season she just regresses to a bigger and bigger child to the point where I don’t see how any of her colleagues put up with her, regardless of her brilliance in her field. This character flaw is not helped by the actress’ voice. I find the other characters so much more compelling and funny. So I’m all for whole episodes devoted to supporting characters.

• Carmen says:

I have to disagree. Brennan has grown as a person since the pilot. And what’s wrong with her voice? I think Emily is a brilliant underrated actress and that only should matter, not her voice. But hey, I respect your opinion. Just saying :-)

• Diane says:

I agree – Emily is an incredible actress to be able to portray someone like Bones without cracking up all the time. She’s awesome.

• Sara says:

I have to agree with Veronica. I feel like she’s become too childish to be believable or enjoyable. I actually stopped watching the show for that reason, and I used to be a huge fan. I think she should be less blatantly stupid-clueless. She wasn’t like that when the series began. They’ve written her to be progressively dumber and dumber.
          Unfortunately the last episode of NCIS (which I’m an even bigger fan of) had me feeling the same way about Abby. I love Abby’s character but her huge mental breakdown over a teddybear was a little extreme, to say the least, and very childish and out of character. I love her sweet silliness, but for goodness sakes I wish the writers would have her acting her own age and not like she was in this last episode. They portrayed her self now as so weak and emotional that over something minor from childhood she runs away from work and walks around moping holding part of an old stuffed animal and crying about her life. Seriously? These women in the shows have been shot at, kidnapped, and lost people they loved and they showed tremendous strength and tenacity throughout. The writers are turning them into whimpering children, and it’s annoying as hell. I think the writers of both shows need to do some female (forensics chick) character reassessing.

• LD says:

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH. DID NOT GET THE POINT OF NCIS AT ALL, AND I AM ALSO A HUGE FAN. AS FOR BONES, THEY ARE MAKING HER LOOK STUPID AND DAISEY THE BRAIN(WHO BY THE WAY I CANT STAND)

4. wow the giant…the way he looks for Charming.
    He thinks is James isnt it?

Well I wish you can post something more about Emma and Neal too.
    Cause you have always always Emma and UGH Hook news…but…well …ok…

5. Catherine says:

The only thing I want to know about Sweets is when he is moving. Hodgela needs a boarder now, honestly there are more secondary characters than Sweets.

• Ginny says:

Best. Idea. He can go live with Angela and Hodgins. They lost their money and the rent money would come in handy. He has lived with Booth and Brennan since Nov, that is long enough, in a kids room no less, what a creeper. Plus I want to see Parker back bonding with *his* family. Parker > Sweets.

• Marsha says:

Good point, where is Parker? He should be at least visiting the MH, a phone call would be nice, anything. Booth would never choose one child over the other or, at least, I hope he wouldn’t.

6. zaza says:

If they are bringing back Danielle Panabaker’s character on Bones, then I hope this means that Daisy and Sweets are NOT getting back together in the upcoming episode. Can’t stand Daisy. Sweets deserves better!

• Brian says:

Daisy deserves somebody better. He let her rent an apartment and at the last minute dumped her. She’s kinda cute. He on the other hand, is not.

• Imzadi says:

I agree. I never liked them together, and Sweets really does deserve better. They should get Tina Majorino back.

7. Maggie says:

the broadway geek in me is SOO HAPPY that SMASH snagged Montego Glover (aka the one who should have won the Tony over Catherine Zeta-Jones). she has an incredible presence & maybe we’ll even get to hear her sing!

8. TV Gord says:

Thanks for the Bones scoop. I’m looking forward to the Sweets backstory!

9. Ted says:

Grey’s Anatomy is just getting better and better

10. J says:

JLC back on NCIS? Are you insane. Worst character ever.

• Bella says:

I agree. I like Jamie Lee Curtis, but hate her character on the show. Major game player, even when it wasn’t necessary. Just not a good fit with Gibbs. I’d rather see Colonel Mann back, even though she’s been out of the picture for several years now.

• Andy d says:

I’d like her to come back if only to have Sean astin and Gibbs team up to hunt down her ex husband or to try and find the killer and have everyone think its Sean astin only to have him take the fall for her and end Gibbs liking her for good. She plays a much better bad guy than good.

• Totally agree! Love Jamie Lee…did NOT like her with Mark Harmnon…not Gibbs type.

• Templar says:

I’m still hoping they bring in Tea Leoni as a love interest for Gibbs. IMO she’d be perfect.

• DIO says:

YUCK!!!!! the cik factor, I can’t stand Tea Leoni! She ruined Jillian Anderson & David Duchovney on X/Files, they were a great couple on a personal basis, but then “she” guest starred on an episode & her sex-starved self broke that relationship up! Now they are divorsed & Jill & David are just fine again!

• Brandon says:

She’s not a redhead…

• flysafely says:

I’m in agreement. I did not think JLC had chemistry with MH though it could have been the character and the way she was written. I certainly think JLC is a terrific actress but still didn’t see chemistry with MH. And JLGibss deserves chemistry with a woman–at least at the very end of the series.

• Jo-Ann says:

Is Glasberg serious? He must not read the same blogs and comments that I do and I read as many as I can find. Her character was a complete disaster. I know she is a personal friend of Harmon’s and they probably thought it would be fun to work together but she was just awful. Does anyone believe Gibbs would get involved with a woman he couldn’t trust? My husband (and I am sure he isn’t the only one) would actually refuse to watch any episodes and reruns she was in. If, for some reason, Glasberg feels the need to wrap up the story arc let’s pray it is one episode and they send Ryan on her way.

11. Lorna says:

Neal can leave he’s annoying and a coward.

12. Maggie says:

Looking forward to Neal returning. Emma needs closure from that relationship in order to move on and from some writers interviews, seems they have no interest in making Neal a regular so he is most likely back for an arc than will either day or leave Storybrooke again.

13. Julie says:

Poor Daisy, she really does care for that jerk Sweets and she has really tried to change her personality to please him & he dumps her right on the street, ugh, hope she has a fling with hottie Wendell.

14. realpandora says:

You know that Catherine isn’t 5-0, do you?

• Rach says:

I originally noticed that too, but I think they mean “Five-O” as in the show, not the task force

• luli says:

I hate that she is only on the show to do favors for Steve! when is she doing something worthy of being a regular on the show? I’d like for her to join the task force!!

• She actually IS a regular on the show, Michelle Borth, I mean. She just isn’t on the Five-0 task force. Technically, her job is much more “important” to the government than theirs! ;) BUT, yes, like you, I just keep expecting something to go wrong with it that she’ll quit/leave and joins the task. She’s amazing and I’d like to see her in every single episode. In fact, I keep asking Ausiello this question almost weekly, but never get answered.

Maybe the problem is that her character wasn’t in the original series, and they think it’s too much of a stretch to just throw her in on the task force? Every other woman they tried (Larisa Oleynik – who was initially supposed to stay — and Lauren German) were rejected by the public. I heard they were smoothly brining Michelle Borth into the show. With Kono, the character did exist in the original show, except it was a man.

Yes, I’m obsessed. And, nope, I’ve never seen the original :)

15. ““I do feel lighter and wanting to embrace something a little bit more fun.”” that has nothing to do with horror. this is horror, it’s not supposed to be light or fun.

16. Josh says:

No Hook is arrogant and a Coward and Neal is on for the rest of the season and hes a better match for Emma than Piece of S*** Hook. Its okay that he has attacked Belle Repatledy cause hes hot right? BARF Hook is a Villian and has no business being with Emma when she has a Child to think about and Hook is no role model

17. Andy says:

Vik Sahay! And the best roller derby episode of a show happened a couple seasons ago on Psych.

18. Adam says:

Sorry but I hate Catherine on H50 so I will definitely skip the episode.

19. Haley says:

Don’t forget that Bunheads in also heading down the Roller Derby road with next weeks episode. Just saying!!

20. Rach says:

Aww yay I love Cath on H50!! I don’t understand where the hate comes from…she and Steve are adorable.

21. Betsy says:

I would much rather see Kono undercover at the roller derby! This sounds like an episode to skip.

22. Brody says:

Aw, man, I liked OUAT (and TVD, and House, and SPN, and a dozen other shows) way better before the shipper wars started. Nothing ruins a comments section faster than people sniping at each other and trying to tell the writers how to do their jobs. (That goes for the rabid anti-Sweets faction of the Bones fandom, too. I’m tempted to quote Bambi: “Thumper, what did your father tell you?”)

23. Tali says:

Thanks God, Jamie Lee Curtis won’t be returning to NCIS. Her character was the worst ever and a complete waste of time

• Stormy says:

ITA. JLC was just too butch to attract Gibbs. Someone up thread said Tea Leoni. She’d be good and so would Lisa Ann Hadley who played Rachel on Gilmore Girls [Luke's old girlfriend].

24. Debra says:

Ohhhh, Geeeze!!!! Put Cath back on the ship on H50 and have Kono go undercover!!!! H50 is the Core Four: McGarrett, Williams, Kelly, Kalakaua!!! Not Core Four plus whomever!!!!

• Nancy says:

OMG why do they try and make Cath part of H5O. She is not a part of the team. I agree they should have Kono goi9ng undercover. If you want to make her McGarretts girlfriend fine, (although I was satisfied the way she was in S1&2) but not the TEAM.

25. Kay says:

So excited Danielle Panabaker is coming back to Bones! I love her! And Vik Sahay is going to be on Bones (thought I recognized him in the preview!) AND NCIS? This Chuck fan is pleased.

26. JoJo says:

So happy to get some Awkward scoop!..definitely one of my favorite Summer series.

27. Aw where is Neal and Emma spoilers?
    I want to know!
    Michael Raymond James is one of my favorite actors.

28. Walkie says:

What I hope for in the next season of AHS is some semblance of an actual story. This past season was a giant mess.

29. Dee says:

Disgusted by the H50 news, but called it as soon as I saw the roller derby spoiler. Yeah, this is one to skip. Once again Mary Sue Cath excelling at and knowing all. Kono is the cop and should be going undercover. No point to Cath’s character, sex, favors and whatever Lenkov wants her to be super at. I can’t stomach the character anymore, plus no chemistry or screen presence with Steve. Boring and bland.

30. luli says:

When is Catherine joining five 0, cause her only purpose in the show is to do favors for Mcgarrett…

31. Nancy says:

I love H5O just the way it is. Here a Cath and there a Cath fine, but please remove her from permanent. She has no purpose to her character. The core of the show is four people, that is STEVE, DANNY, CHIN, and Kono. Please, Please leave it that way. As a girlgriend fine, not one of the 5-O members.

32. Patti says:

I really enjoy the Neal Cassidy character and like him with Emma. I’m looking forward to that on Once and on Sweets’ episode of bones.

33. spider3tattoo says:

i stopped watching Bones at the first sign that HH was turning Bones into the Sweets show. Ridiculous, with the amount of damage he did to them in the first few seasons. No FBI shrink goes into the field with the field agent either, or conducts the interrogations, ad naseum. The actor is obviously HH’s new golden boy, fairhaired child, see the cross overs with his other failed show, and more story line then a secondary character deserves or warrants.

The contrived ‘here, sleep in our extra bedroom’ bull for more screen time. Just give him a spin off already HH, and be done with it. I watched this show for Booth and Bones and then the secondary cast around them. Not the Booth, Sweets and Bones show.

34. Amelia says:

Surely you meant KONO and not CATHERINE in the Hawaii Five-0 scoop…

• M says:

It would be dangerous for Kono to go undercover though, considering the entire island knows she works at Five-0…

• Amelia says:

It hasn’t stopped them so far and probably won’t in the future. This storyline is just Lenkov trying to show off his golden girl Catherine. Urgh. And to think, I use to love her and was excited when they announced her regular status. She can’t leave fast enough now. I miss the main characters and the ohana feel of season 1.

35. spider3tattoo says:

ZERO chemistry between Jamie Lee Curtis and Mark Harmon. They may be friends in real life, but they have NO screen chemistry, not for romance. NO. Almost as bad, are Tony and Ziva’s chemistry, friends – yes, romance – zero chemistry. At least you can tell they are friends on screen and not just acting. Please leave romance out of the bullpen and stick to the stories/friendships/team, more like real life.

36. AngelMoon Girl says:

Ew no. PLEASE do not bring Jamie Lee Curtis back to NCIS. She is a great actress, but not in a dramatic role – at least, not for that character! HATED “Samantha Ryan” and her relationship with Gibbs, which is funny considering that I loved Curtis and Harmon as a married couple on Freaky Friday,
    SO excited for the Brennan gets shot episode on Bones!

37. Caskettfanforever says:

Any Castle scoops?

38. M says:

Thank you for the H50 spoiler, I am now super excited for that episode. Catherine is one of my favorite characters!

39. This is not the first time that TVLine, chooses a question about Neal and Emma, and then responds on another character.

Begins to be ironic … I feel frustrated :(

But thanks for the scoop

40. Teri says:

Ugh, 5-0, what are you doing? Catherine is supposed to be in the Navy but so far we have seen her do everything BUT be in the Navy. It is wearing thin and I lost any interest I had in her character about 5 episodes ago. Kono is a team member, a cop and seriously underused. If she can’t go UC, then don’t do an UC storyline. No hate, but I will also be skipping this one.

• P says:

Totally agree. Of course, it could be worse – they could have Cath undercover as a champion surfer. It’s only a matter of time….

41. lucy says:

The Catherine hate is awful.I love her on the show her and steve belong together great chemistry…More Cath..More Cath!!!

42. Casey says:

I love Sweets! I don’t understand why so many find him unappealing. I’m also super excited about the Shot in the Dark episode!.

43. julianne says:

Since there is a huge storyline for Brennan and Booth in Shot In the Dark, then I can understand why they are doing a secondary storyline afterwards. They keep writing Sweets into the plot so much because David needs someone from the FBI to balance out all of the squints from Brennan’s group. They have also said that DB and JFD have very good screen chemistry and they like to work together. He also fills in a void because they can’t incorporate Parker into the show. If you compare Bones to say Castle the difference is that the lab plays a very large role in each episode while in Castle the squad room and Castle’s apartment are equally used in each episode. Castle’s teenage daughter and his mother can be regular characters because so many scenes are filmed in this location. On the other hand Parker would not fit in the lab or the FBI bullpen. Parker is living with his mother in England where she now works. He can only come for visits. Christine is still a baby, not too many plots can involve her without much of the audience tuning out of the show. JFD is a very talented actor and budding screenwriter so yes he is a viable option. Finally, Bones is a show known for the depth of character development, which includes their secondary characters like: Cam, Angela, Hodgins, Sweets, and their revolving interns.

44. wow! thanks for that tremendous posting. I really loved it to your core. Hope you retain putting up this kind of wonderful posts