Ratings: The Following Has a Solid Start, Bones Hits a High and The Carrie Diaries Dips

Ratings: The Following Premiere on FoxFor a show that appeals to a specific audience, The Following got off to a rather killer start on Monday night — and certainly outperformed Fox’s most recent drama debut.

RELATED | Read Our Recap of The Following

UPDATE: With 10.4 million total viewers and a 3.2 rating (adjusted up per finals), the Kevin Bacon-starrer built significantly on its Bones lead-in — which rose in the demo (2.3) and drew a season-high audience (8.5 mil) — to more than double The Mob Doctor’s opening numbers (5.1 mil/1.5). With the 3.2,it also now stands as this TV season’s second highest-rated drama premiere (behind NBC’s Revolution), edging out CBS’ Elementary.

RELATED | Could Castle Learn Something from Bones? And Many More TV Questions!

Looking back further: Versus the Alcatraz series premiere (10 mil/3.3), The Following delivered a larger audience but fell shy of the demo rating. Similarly, the serial killer thriller outdrew the far more family friendly Terra Nova (9.1 mil/3.1) and bested its 18-49 rating.

As for speculation that those who stopped in would tune out and hide under the bed, The Following retained its audience throughout the hour and even grew in the demo. In the 9 o’clock hour, it was only bested by CBS sitcoms.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Recaplet: Ted Hooks Up With [Spoiler]! Were You Surprised?

Over on CBS, How I Met Your Mother (10 mil/3.7) slipped 5 percent and two tenths, while 2 Broke Girls (11.5 mil/3.7, down 8 and 10 percent) and Mike & Molly (10.9 mil/3.3, down 5 percent) also dipped yet outrated The Following with an average of 3.5. Hawaii Five-0 was steady in audience week-to-week (9.6 mil) and ticked down in the demo (2.2) but led the 10 pm hour on both counts.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Sex, Lies and Videotape/SD Cards

ABC’s The Bachelor (7.5 mil/2.5) was steady in total audience/ticked up a tenth in the demo, while Castle (8.7 mil/2.0) shed a few eyeballs but grew a tenth.

NBC’s Biggest Loser (6.1 mil/2.4) was flat; Deception (3.6 mil/1.3) dropped 12 and 19 percent in Week 3.

The CW’s Carrie Diaries did 1.3 mil and a 0.5, down 19 percent and a tenth from its premiere outing. 90210 christened its new time slot with 790,000 total viewers and a 0.4 rating, down 33 percent in the demo from its last fresh episode.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

1. wrstlgirl says:

The Following was absolutely amazing. I kept having to remind myself that I was watching a television show and not a movie.

2. Jane says:

The only thing those numbers really tell us is that a good start doesn’t necessarily mean a successful show. Hopefully The Following doesn’t follow in the footsteps of the previous dramas before it.

• Jake says:

Quite the wet blanket, eh? It certainly is better than if the ratings were a flop right? It also did not have to deal with dancing and the voice

• Alex says:

Why is being cautious and realistic supposedly being a “wet blanket” worthy of getting screeched at rudely by you? Jane’s first sentence is completely true and not in the least rude or nasty. She then expresses hope that the show will do well. Nothing wrong with any of what she said.

• Alex says:

True! Plenty of shows start well and then collapse in the ratings. Alcatraz is just one example, though you could argue that Alcatraz was also not very good and lost viewers because of that.

Carrie Diaries is stinking it up!

• B says:

How not? Alcatraz and Terra Nova were compared to it…

3. Cheryl says:

The real test will come next week. Hopefully the ratings will stay up or grow.

4. Adam Bramble says:

The Following Was Amazing.
    Bones was just as good.

5. madbengalsfan85 says:

An absolutely incredible episode of Bones, on the edge of my seat the entire night…and The Following was just WOW!!

6. Zippie says:

2.3 for Bones. 8yr show still holding it’s own, proud. I think this was the best rating of the season in both demo and views for Bones.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, I was just told that BONES wound up with a 2.4 on 11/26/12.

• Sarah says:

Hopefully, the finals for last night will be adjusted up.

• Alex says:

More likely to go down. The Following started a couple minutes early, and those higher numbers will be stripped out of the final Bones tally and given to The Following, which earned them. So Bones will likely go down, Following up, in the finals.

7. Shaun says:

Woo,Following was terrific!!Just a twisty kind of story that leaves you surprised.

8. wrstlgirl says:

So can someone tell me… are those ratings for TCD and 90210 on the CW good / bad or okay for that network?

• Alex says:

Bad. As a new show, Carrie Diaries is more likely to lose viewers early on than to gain them. A .5 in the demo is not good already and will probably not improve in subsequent weeks. And 90210’s .4 in the demo/well under 1 million total viewers just plain reeks. The only thing that might save Carrie is that the CW in general is faring badly. As for 90210, a pre-announced final season for a veteran show is something the CW has done lately (shortened final seasons for One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl).

• wrstlgirl says:

Thanks Alex. I’ve been wondering for a couple seasons now why 90210 was still on the air. Not sure why they’d bother with a final season but I suppose those who watch would appreciate it.

• Alex says:

90210 staying on the air makes sense. First, the CW has had a few weaker performers every year, so it’s going to cull those shows first. Also, I think 90210 does pretty well for a CW show in the 18-34 demo, which helps. I’m just not sure how much it helps. Also, this season puts it over 100 episodes, which is good for syndication purposes. All other things being equal, a network is probably going to cancel a first-year show rather than a second-year show (or older), seeing that the older series has compiled more episodes for potential syndication. Plus the CW can’t afford to launch too many new series during any particular fall or spring season. It’s just too expensive for them.

Even with poor ratings during its previous season, Gossip Girl was given a final season last fall. I figure it must have made financial sense somehow for the CW to do this. The same could happen with 90210.

• Brandy says:

Yes, Alex and the fact is first season shows Beauty and Carrie aren’t doing much better demo wise and could still fall in spring as most shows do.Plus, another season of 90210 means more episodes for Netflix and another DVD which CWwill profit from.Plus, 90210 has bounced back from low like this this season going from 0.4& under a million viewers to 0.5-0.6 and over a million viewers.Futher, Cult has yet to premiere so we have to see how it does and CW has already cancelled/ended three shows:GG,Emily Owens MD,LA Complex so that’s a couple slots already open for next season and Carrie Diaries ,Beauty & the Beast are Likley to be cancelled due to low ratings, but I don’t know about thier international sales or online performance which might save them.

• wrstlgirl says:

I always forget that it’s always all about money. My mind doesn’t work that way :-)

9. Sarah says:

Yay Bones! :)

10. Jillian says:

GO BONES!!!!

• Bob says:

I really liked “The Mob Doctor”. Sorry it’s gone. The premise was interesting and the cast was very good especially William Forsythe as the bad guy.

• Angie says:

I really liked The Mob Doctor, too. I still think it going on in the fall against Monday Night Football was a big reason it didn’t do so well. I wonder how the ratings have been for Monday night dramas debuting in the fall as opposed to the ones that debut midseason without so much competition.

11. Emily says:

Given The Walking Dead’s insane numbers and the success of AHS and Dexter, I don’t think that folks are looking for family friendly fare at the moment. Good for Fox!

12. nitemar says:

Glad The Following did so good. Was about time..this time slot deserves a great show like it’s predecessors such as House. Hope it sticks. :D

13. Lucy says:

Bones was amazing! Can’t wait for the next ep!

14. M. says:

I hope that Castle won’t be adjusted down.

It’s the first 2-rating in weeks & even though I’m pretty sure, that the show’s getting at least one more (final?) season I’m anxious about the ratings week after week.

15. Krysta says:

I love Bones! And this episode was super awesome! A great lead in to The Following. The Following though, can we just take a minute to relish in its greatness?! Definitely not the “family affair” totally keeps you on the edge of your seat! It was amazing!

16. Kim R says:

Pelant! Booth needs to take that guy out! :)

17. Doug says:

The final scene of Bones showing Pelant suturing himself would’ve been the most gruesome thing all night, but it just warmed you up for The Following. Hopefully Following can mantain the momentum from the premiere

18. Larry says:

I suppose this tells the broadcast networks that they can’t keep to their family-friendly market to sustain ratings. People are looking for edgier entertainment that cable regularly supplies. If FOX can keep at least 75% of this audience, it’s going to be an interesting ratings battle when NBC brings back The Voice.

19. Jared says:

Considering FOX has no other hit dramas except for Bones..even if The Following were to dip in the ratings the next couple weeks I still see the network renewing this series for atleast another 13-15 episodes and if they were smart they would launch season 2 in the Fall and not wait for mid season.

20. shuayb says:

More people should have watched the following. Its pure genius. Of course its still early days but methinks this will be a hit. Anyone know the song that plays at the beggining and end?

21. tp says:

Did anyone watch Ripper Street on Friday night?

22. Michael says:

I hate to root against The Carrie Diaries because it is a cute show and much better than 90210, but whatever gives Hart of Dixie an edge for renewal is ok with me.

• Christian says:

I’m the opposite. I’m hoping Hart of Dixie sinks tonight so that Carrie Diaries looks a bit safer. Sorry I gave HoD 10 episodes last Fall and the show was so bad. Not even bad in an entertaining trainwreck sort of way like Ringer was; it was just really boring!

23. cjeffery7 says:

ahhh looks like deception might be headed to cancellation land. unfortunately, as edgy dramatic mysteries go, The Following is the better half.

24. JT says:

Hooray for Bones! Hell of a good episode. And the Following was just amazing.

25. Kay says:

Castle’s ratings is very disappointing. 12-17 year old love to watch this show but not enough in 18-49 demographic. Clearly, they should learn from Bones!

26. Ali says:

The only reason I watched The Following was to see James Purefoy, who is just a superb actor. I’ve followed him since his days with HBO’s ROME and he never disappoints. I do, however, wish that the roles were reversed with he and Kevin Bacons characters. IMO, Bacon should be the serial killer-Professor with Purefoy being the author/disgraced FBI agent.

Purefoy did such a great job that he was able to make me truly disliked his character. I found the whole show to be too gory and weird for me. I’ll try to stay with it just for him, but this may not be my “thing.” This is the main reason I wished the roles were reversed. I could fast forward through all the gross serial-killer stuff if Bacon were playing him and just watch Purefoy as the good guy, but this is not the case.

Also, the tortured dog scene made me physically recoil. That was NOT needed in any way and was just there just to shock the audience. I resent that and took points away because of that one scene. I guess all of my problems would be solved if Purefoy found a better venue to showcase his talent/s.

My Mom (80 years old) was excited to hear Purefoy was in a new show and called me to make sure I DVR’d it. I told her it would be very gory but she watched anyways then called to tell me it scared her. She ended up having nightmares so I resent the show for that reason also. Ugh………….just not sure about this one.

27. Ant says:

That was the best episode of bones in a while.

28. kay v says:

Tuned in to see Kevin Bacon, but found The Following to be too gory. I don’t need to see all that. I think many tuned in to see what it was like, and will not continue with it. Just my humble opinion.