Homeland Exclusive: Diego Klattenhoff Not Returning as a Series Regular In Season 3

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Diego Klattenhoff Leaving Homeland Season 3Homeland fans will be seeing less of “Uncle Mike” when the Emmy winning smash returns next September.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Diego Klattenhoff — who has played Brody’s army buddy and the “other man” in his marriage to Jessica — will not be back as a series regular in Season 3.

RELATED | Homeland Exclusive: Find Out Who Will Be Back in Season 3

Reps for Showtime and 20th declined to comment, but a source tells TVLine that it’s possible the actor could be back in a recurring capacity.

The news doesn’t come as a huge surprise given that Homeland essentially wrapped up Klattenhoff’s story in the Season 2 finale. Curiously, Klattenhoff’s co-star, Morena Baccarin, is expected to return as a regular.

PHOTOS | Golden Globes 2013: The Best & Worst Moments

The silver lining for Klattenhoff: He’s now free to jump head first into pilot season, where he’ll likely be a hot commodity.

Homeland‘s third season launches Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

Comments (42)

• Dull as Dishwater Mike and the rest of Brody’s family could never be seen on Homeland again as far as I’m concerned.

Comment by Enad – January 18, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!! tht Jessica was yawner… I did like Mike though… candy eye…

Comment by mmota123 – March 7, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree and most fans do as well.

Comment by ab576 – May 24, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be Shane Oman from Mean Girls.

Comment by JennyS – January 18, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a scary mask bro.

Comment by dude – January 18, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard he cheats on Jessica with Regina George in projection room above the auditorium.

Comment by Russ – January 19, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait what? We hadn’t even seen his ass yet? :(

Comment by King – January 18, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a second, watching the photo, I thought Rebecca was not returning. Thank God it’s not the case, i love her.

Comment by D. – January 18, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *A* story was wrapped up in season 2, but I don’t necessarily believe *HIS* story is done, particularly now that he’s in love with Jess, the soon-to-be ex-wife of someone whom the public believes is a terrorist on the loose.

That makes me sad :(

Comment by Skruff – January 18, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s kind of what I thought. I don’t buy he’d leave her when she’s about to go through this incredible crisis. Life is going to be really rough for Brody’s family next season. People will consider them to be terrorists by association and there’s no way they’ll ever be able to live a normal life again.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 18, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather they kept him and got rid of the kids. Hopefully they will. Have them sent off to boarding school or something.

Comment by Ryan – January 18, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like him. :(

Comment by Sarah – January 18, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah this is weird. I rather keep him and get rid of the wife and kids. I’d have him be part of a conspiracy theory that brody was set up or that there is more to the story.

Comment by Midori004 – January 18, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep the kids and get rid of the wife as she cannot act.

Comment by Marty Cone – January 19, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think she’s a fine actress and I’d hate it if she left. Uncle Mike needs to stay too. We need to see what happens to the family. They’re too big a part of the show.

Comment by ab576 – May 24, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Mike kicks the family to the curb after its suspected that their husband/father was a terrorist after all? I feel bad for them..

Comment by Shari – January 18, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I liked him, I did find some (more than some) moments of Brody’s family life blah and sometimes even untruthful to the way I would expect someone to react.While I’m not sure how I will like it (probably won’t), even though her husband is now a known traitor, with so many political people dead, Brody’s wife could rise to political power on a “we will not be fooled by a terrorist again” fear policy. Her world could be so rocked off kilter that she becomes a blood-guts-gore Hawk and support overt and covert methods of retaliation. That could also be why Mike leaves – she’s changed so much he can’t be with her any more. BUT, if the family story line is going to stay, those people need to stop whining all the time.

Comment by Tami – January 18, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed. I really like Diego Klattenhoff! And I liked his character Mike as well. I would not have minded seeing more development on Mike and his relationship with Jess. Bummed :(

Comment by Eliza – January 18, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know…I think Brody’s family will have a REALLY interesting storyline next season. Think about…they went from rags to riches to nobodies to somebodies and now they’ve lost EVERYTHING, including Brody and are now related to a terrorist.

Comment by Josh – January 18, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. It can’t all about Saul and Carrie now. I want to know how the family handles this crisis. I would imagine there are going to be some that think Jessica and Mike knew something when something. While they did have some suspicions, they certainly didn’t aide Brody in any terrorist acts. But will the CIA and the public buy that? And you know Dana is going to say something about her conversation with Brody where he admits he WAS going to do something but “changed.”

Comment by ab576 – May 24, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t be sad, this is just a mislead so we’re all delighted by Showtime picking up spinoff series “Detective Mike: USMC” featuring scruffy sidekick Lauder!

Comment by J – January 18, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This doesn’t make any sense, if Jess is a regular then how could Mike not be when he’s part of the family now? I wanted to see more of Jessica and Mike together. I’d rather not see Brody as a regular instead.

Comment by Jen – January 18, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Jen “I’d rather not see Brody as a regular instead.” <<< you realize he is the show right ?!?! how can they not have him as a regulr when the whole show revolves are him ?

Comment by Ashley – January 18, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They were gonna kill him off in season 1, he is expendable. A lot of people got tired of him and feel his story should be wrapped up, me included.

Comment by Jen – January 18, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Funny how the “expendable” character’s actor just took home a Golden Globe and, previously, an Emmy. Yeah – get rid of him.

Comment by Marianne – January 18, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh come on, how much more convoluted can they make his story? With Nazir dead Brody is now expendable. The only story left for him is a life on the run. The writers really made a mess of this show this season if they wanted to keep him in a regular role.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – January 18, 2013 02:32 PM PDT
    • they can’t kill brody bc the showrunners are focusing the show on carrie and brodys love story. but i agree, i’d rather see brody have a smaller role then have him killed off.

Comment by katie – January 18, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. Buh bye, Uncle Mike. My dog has better acting chops than you.

Comment by NervisRex – January 18, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one likes a jerk, so quit being one. I liked the guy. I thought he portrayed his character well. Military guys don’t show a lot of emotion day to day so if that’s what you’re looking for you’re not gonna get it.

Comment by ab576 – May 24, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brody on the run for a whole season could be a complete disaster. However if he were to get captured by the end of episode 2 or 3, put in federal prison, causing Brody to suffer flashbacks to his imprisonment in Iraq and face a public trial, which could involve his family sitting in the courtroom. The media attention causing Uncle Mike to exit stage left. Dana believing in her father’s innocence. That storyline would be the most plausible. Than your left with Carrie/Saul and the CIA to drive the thriller/spy part of the show and the Brody part of the show is a trial/prison show, which is more believable than the Brody in congress storyline from season 2.

Mike leaving could open Jess up to a much more compelling storyline next season, instead of a fairly boring she is with Mike storyline.

Comment by johnhelvete – January 18, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little concerned about Baccarin still being a regular. Now don’t get me wrong, I love her (diehard Browncoat here, so that kind of goes without saying). But it suggests that we’re going to be following Brody’s family during all of season 3. And while I wouldn’t mind seeing them in one episode to see how they’re holding up in the wake of what happened, I really don’t think there’s enough there to sustain that storyline in an interesting manner for twelve episodes.

Comment by Superhero – January 18, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Brody, Mike is a Marine and not a soldier.

Comment by Tim – January 18, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would gladly get rid of Brody for Mike. I love Mike and Jessica together. I think he truly loves her and is better for her.

Comment by Ana – January 18, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suppose that makes up for the fact that his character is boring as sh!t.

Comment by Superhero – January 18, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exclusive: we have exclusively learned exclusively that we have an exclusive.

Get over yourselves. It’s a small piece of casting news.

Comment by Tony – January 19, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike was not best pleased by Brody asking him to look after the family as before, not the reaction I was expecting and now with the bomb and Brody on the run, this is not good for a man in military intelegence to be so close to the family of a suspected terrorist

I am glad he will not be appearing, what did he do!

Comment by Grey – January 19, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • with brody gone, it’s prime time to start hitting mrs. brody again!!!!

Comment by adam – January 19, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!%7

Comment by agate cameos pendant – March 22, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • obviously like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality nevertheless I will certainly come again again.|

Comment by papaka – March 22, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!|

Comment by Anonymous – March 23, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you know if Homeland is coming back for a new season?

Comment by Anonymous – April 19, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get RID of the kids and the wife–boring storyline.

Comment by Anitia – September 18, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post