Pilot Scoop: Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt Cast as Michael J. Fox's Wife in NBC Sitcom

Betsy Brandt Michael J. Fox NBC ComedyAfter an exhaustive search, Breaking Bad‘s Betsy Brandt has landed the pivotal wife role in Michael J. Fox‘s upcoming NBC comedy series, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS | Pilot Season Preview: The 36 Most Wanted Actors and Actresses

The single-camera project, which has already been greenlit for next fall, is inspired by Fox’s real life and stars him as Mike Burnaby, a husband and father of three in New York City juggling the challenges of family and career while dealing with Parkinson’s disease. A former lead anchor for a local station in NY, Mike decides to go back to work after a new medication helps him manage the effects of his illness.

Brandt will play Annie, his tough, blunt, deeply loyal wife of 20 years. Although Annie has experienced the halo effect of being married to a saint, she hates being celebrated as “the rock” in Mike’s life. She gets easily worked-up over small injustices, like parking spot stealers and airplane armrest bullies and she’s also a pitbull when it comes to defending her kids (played by Conor Romero and Jack Gore).

RELATED | Breaking Bad Finale Preview: Walt’s Choice, the Cancer and Hank’s Next Move!

Kate Finneran and Wendell Pierce round out the cast as Mike’s sister and boss, respectively.

Brandt is currently shooting Breaking Bad‘s final eight episodes, the first of which is slated to air this summer.

1. Becky says:

Sounds like a great series, but how will this affect Michael J. Fox’s recurring roll on CBS show The Good Wife?

• D'Arcy says:

Likely he wouldn’t be able to do The Good Wife as well, considering it’s on a rival network (and would have a similar shooting schedule if they’re both fall-spring shows).

• Steven says:

Given the current ratings for The Good Wife it may not be coming back next year.

2. Liz says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this show! I love Michael J. Fox!

3. Teag says:

Good for her. I thought she’d fade into obscurity after Breaking Bad.

Gonna try out this show. Love me some Michael J Fox.

4. Kat says:

I love Betsy! Based on the Breaking Bad commentaries and podcasts, she seems like such a fun person.

5. cyclone says:

her bio says she’s 5’11”, I think she’ll be recast after the pilot. MJF is only about 5’5″ and I know his real life wife is about 5’7″ so the taller sitcom wife makes sense but 5’11” is too much of a gap

• Zach says:

Another pilot this year, I’m Not Dead Yet, has Ben Falcone and Missi Pyle as a couple. She’s 5’11”, and I know Ben Falcone is a whole lot shorter than that. Still, I would love to see both of these shows. I really don’t think the height difference will make that big of a difference.

What I do find weird is that Betsy Brandt is 36 and Michael J. Fox is 51.

• Clare says:

The age difference is surprising, considering she’s his “deeply loyal wife of 20 years”. So, they got married when she was 16? Maybe on the show they aren’t playing their real ages…

6. Jan1 says:

Please let this show have excellent writing. It could be so good.

7. Truefan says:

It’ll be good seeing Michael J. Fox back. I know a couple of with Parkinson’s and it’ll be a positive thing to see that you can still accomplish a lot.

8. Susan says:

Love the choice of “Burnaby” for his character’s name.

9. Catacomb says:

Damn it Marie, they’re minerals!

10. Susan says:

Two of my favorite actors in one show.. love Betsy and Michael. Looking forward to it..