Nashville Recap: On the Road Again

CONNIE BRITTON, HAYDEN PANETTIERELife on the road is tough, y’all.

This week’s Nashville finds Rayna and Juliette only a few dates into their “Red Lips White Lies” tour, and they’re already having to endure sulking soon-to-be-ex-husbands, lonely mayoral candidates wanting a little attention and guitarists who – despite Rayna’s best efforts — refuse to be Deacon. Read on for the major developments that take place in “I’m Sorry for You, My Friend.”

RELATED | Nashville Scoop: Will Ming-Na Steal Rayna Away?

IN ABSENTIA | Rayna misses Deacon. Everyone knows it. Buddy knows it. Liam knows it. Both of the guitarists Rayna has fired know it. But while Deacon’s still on the road with the Revel Kings (more on that later), she’s going to have to make do with a strummer with whom she doesn’t share decades of history, a past romantic relationship and possibly a daughter. Hipster producer Liam! Yeah, you’ll do. She begs him to join her band, which he does very reluctantly and only as a favor. She buys him cowboy boots to celebrate, but is bummed when she notices he won’t wear them. “I put ‘em on, I clicked my heels three times, and I didn’t turn into Deacon,” he teases her, adding that she’s afraid to go on tour without her biggest back-up player. Oh Liam, you wry teller of truth!

Meanwhile, back in Nashville, Teddy and Coleman are in a dead heat with just a few days before the mayoral election. Rayna pays a lot of lip service to the idea of flying home for the big night, but she’s totally not into it. So we’re subjected to a few scenes that boil down to this: Coleman and his wife are in true wuv and will be just fine, even if he loses; Teddy is a sad-sack emotional cuckold watching the news alone in bed while his wife puts on a show for strangers hundreds of miles away. (I do love, though, how Rayna seems glowingly content on stage – at least in this episode. That’s her happy place, even without old Deke. Or maybe it’s just the bajillion sequins on her shirt making her face light up like that? Either way: pretty!)

At the last moment, Ray-Ray changes her mind and flies home in time to be there for Teddy’s big win. Yep, that’s Mayor Sad-sack Emotional Cuckold to you – and Lamar swears he listened to Teddy and didn’t buy any votes to make it happen. Yeah, right. (Side note: Anyone else think the way Lamar and Tandy were standing near each other at the victory party was a little… inappropriate for a father and daughter?) (Another side note: Teddy’s victory party was held in a venue that looked a lot like the one where Elaine Barrish gave her concession speech, didn’t it?) Everyone but Teddy goes home, which makes it very easy for Peggy to show up at his campaign’s hotel suite later. Though she touches his face and it’s clear they both want more, she leaves… for now.

MRS. NO MORE | Juliette wants a divorce. Sean wants an annulment. She goes through a lot of foot-stomping – including flying her private jet out to meet him getting off the team bus, sending him really vague messages through Country Music Television (no joke) and taking “Love Like Mine” (aka the song they crooned together on her plane) off her set list – before she agrees to do things his way. The marriage was a fraud, she admits, because she lured him into it under false pretenses. Once everything’s settled, she finally apologizes, but the tormented Tebow doesn’t want to hear it. “You once told me I wouldn’t like you very much if I got to know you,” he says as their lawyers hash things out in an adjacent room. “You were right.” Ooh, emotionally stunted burn!

AVERY’S AVARICE | Scarlett’s ex, apparently not one for cuddling, wants to talk about his contract just moments after he and Marilyn finish a session between the sheets. He’s ready to sign with Dominic, but she advocates negotiating for more money. Guess which bullheaded, floppy-haired member of that little party gets his way? Dominic spins a tale about how Marilyn’s only looking out for herself, which is enough for Avery to sign with him and happily drive away in a “bonus” convertible – “instead of a six-figure advance,” a frustrated Marilyn notes. Showing his true colors, Avery very nastily informs her that she can get on board or get left behind.

I SHOT A MAN IN RENO JUST TO WATCH HIM DIE | Okay, maybe Gunnar’s brother Jason didn’t actually kill anyone. But he did do eight years in jail for armed robbery – a crime that we learn Gunnar barely escaped being part of – and Gunnar’s there when his big bro is released. After a road trip with Scarlett, whom he drops in Austin to see Deacon’s Revel Kings show, Gunnar and Jason hang out at a motel. They spend exactly enough time together to sing a partial duet of Merle Haggard’s “Lonesome Fugitive” and for Jason to hock Gunnar’s guitar, buy a gun and take off. Yes, it happens just about that quickly. Something about the pace of the guys’ scenes feels rushed, and their singing, while lovely, is the first time that a song feels shoehorned into a Nashville scene – for me, at least. (Thoughts? Hit the comments.) When Gunnar and Scarlett rendezvous in Austin the next day, she lets him know she’d love to hear all about it – and anything else – whenever he wants to talk.

TOURING’S A BITCH, AND THEN THERE’S CY | As the Revel Kings tour bus prepares to leave its pre-Austin stop, Deacon gives his old music journalist friend a perfectly lovely kiss but deters her from meeting him later on in the tour. Seeing an opportunity, Cy steps in with his slickest moves but gets shot down hard. (Lame, yes, but not character assassinating, right? The only other less-than-cool thing we’ve seen the Kings lead singer do is act a little threatened around Deacon, yes? OK. Keep that in mind.) At the Austin concert venue, Cy takes a shine to a starstruck Scarlett. And by the end of the episode, he’s got her trapped in the band’s private lounge, where he attempts to force himself on her while a bodyguard tries to keep a raging Deacon from getting inside. (My notes from this scene: “Whaaaa?”) Finally Uncle Deke busts in and decks the suddenly sleazy singer, but not before Scarlett plants a firmly upthrust knee into Cy’s Big & Rich. Deacon shouts that he’s quitting; Cy replies that he’s fired. And, scene! And also, huh? Was I so busy singing into my hairbrush to “Telescope” that I missed the episode where Cy became a total cretin?

Now it’s your turn. Did this episode feel a bit disjointed to you? Do you want to know the story behind Gunnar’s (almost) life of crime? Are you worried about Deacon? And is there any way at all that Juliette actually ran those stadium steps and still left the venue looking so spring fresh? Sound off in the comments!

1. wordsmith says:

Totally agree that Cy’s sudden left turn into outright villainy was a bit abrupt, but it makes sense to get Deacon back into the mix with the rest of the characters, rather than off on his own. Would have been nice to see them do it a bit more organically, though…

2. Angel says:

The only thing I loved during this episode was the Deacon/Scarlett part, and Cy being a jerk wasn’t surprising because we could see it the first time we saw him he was a bit arrogant.

And I’m probably the only one on this earth but Juliette and Liam have some crazy sparks and a good chemistry, I can’t wait to see more of their interactions

3. forwarddad says:

Agree about J&L. Was disappointed that Teddy won. I like Coleman.

4. Christina Schmid says:

1. That father-daughter scene was beyond inappropriate! I was fully expecting the ep to end with them making out.

2. I know that ex-cons frequently return to a life of crime. But within 2 hours of being released from pros

5. Christina Schmid says:

The hazards of posting in an iPhone — incomplete posts. Sorry. I was about to say that the scene with Gunnar’s brother made no sense. Waaayyy too quick.

3. I love Deacon. I really hope they don’t mess with his character!

4. It’s lucky for you that you are only humming Boys In Buses. I can’t stop singing the lyrics. The problem is I don’t know all the lyrics.

• Sam says:

hahah I always sings words I don’t know all the words to! You’re belting out the ones you know them kind of “AHHHMMGMJD GGG UHHH OHHH YEAAAHH MMMM HMMM!”

6. Terry says:

Yeah, the sudden heel-turn left a lot to be desired. It makes me nervous for the other peripheral characters on the show.
    And why are they still following Avery’s story? Does anyone care what happens to that nefarious little rat?
    I really hope Juliette finds some shred of happiness before the season ends. I don’t think I can take all this crying for very much longer.

• Elyse says:

thank you! i was afraid i was the only person who didn’t give two crap about Averys story. i hated him from the pilot episode.

• wordsmith says:

At this point, I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to hate him, and the whole point of his storyline is to give us the chance to watch gleefully as he screws everything up. Schadenfreude can be fun too, so I don’t object to the idea.

• Alex says:

Avery, Gunnar, and Scarlet are SO boring. Their scenes are worthless. I want more of Rayna and Juliette, together and apart.

• Sam says:

I don’t see how anyone could like Avery. I think he’ll be killed or screwed over and written out eventually.

7. Drew Herring says:

Great recap as usual, Kim. I really liked last night’s episode, and I think with Teddy winning the election, the dynamic of the show will change drastically (in a good way). I like the girls being on tour so far, but I don’t like how quickly they rushed Juilette’s divorce/annulment.. She should’ve stayed married for a couple of episodes at least. Other than that, I think this show is off to a fantastic second half!

8. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll just be very honest here. I could care less about Rayna/Juliette’s concert tour, could care less about Teddy, period. The only reason why I continue to watch is Deacon / Scarlett / Avery and Gunnar. I also really like Sean, Juliette was at least tolerable while with him. And Cy’s sudden turn wasn’t that surprising. You could see the character had a dark in earlier episodes.

9. margaretames says:

All I want to know is…when will Rayna see Deacon again??? Cy was a pig.

PLEASE TELL US WHEN RAYNA WILL SEE DEACON AGAIN….

10. Iakovos says:

The episode did seem to take us far and wide plotwise. Seems TV series today donot linger or develop details as they once did. But then again, when the webs have their itchy fingers on the cancellation button all the time and audienses seem to have shorter attention spans anymore… Still, NASHVILLE is a strong drama with even more potential then it has developed to date. I am sure more is on the way. LOVED the performance sequences. Go NASHVILLLE!

11. Michelle says:

Am I the only one who sees chemistry between Rayna and Liam? A brief fling with them could be fun. ;)

• Judith, in Nashville. says:

This! That is what I was thinking all episode. Would love to see them together.

• MJ says:

That could be fun, though I think Liam and Rayna are more of a little brother/big sister dynamic at this point. Liam has become my favorite character on this show. However if Liam and Juliette become a thing, I may have to stop watching this show.

12. Anna says:

I just want to say that your reviews, Kimberly, are the best. Sometimes they’re funnier than the actual episode and I’m looking forward to reading all of them every week (:

Also, I think I might be a little in love with Liam ever since he just layed down on the stage to screw with Juliette.

13. mrsdeacon says:

I don’t think Cy had a sudden turnaround in behaviour. One of the selling points that the band had when recruiting Deacon was that they were all now clean and sober and Deacon thought things would be different this time. Remember he said he thought Cy was a jerk before because of the drinking, but he realized Cy is just a jerk period.

Love the chemistry between Juliette and Liam! Rayna and Liam, too (that Liam!) but Rayna and Liam have that mutual respect/friendship, where J & L have that fiery emotion between them. And Liam is the only one who calls out Juliette on her behaviour. They have made it clear that is what she needs. Juliette hooking up with Liam will make Rayna crazy and wreak havoc on the tour!

• margaretames says:

I’m not sure it will make Rayna crazy…She’s in love with Deacon and nothing will stop that. You all know how first loves can be.

• Sam says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t think Cy being bad was a big deal. He was a bit sleazy from the start (and the actor has played nothing but sleazy characters anyway) so this was nothing shocking.

14. EveatEden says:

Who is the actor who played Gunnar’s brother? I know I’ve seen him in something but I can’t place it!

15. Amy says:

Am I the only one who thinks it strange that Liam is on tour with Rayna? The guy is supposed to be this amazing artist, yet he drops his studio recording to go on tour with her? Not that I don’t enjoy seeing him. :) I could definitely see he and Juliette getting together at some point. Add Deacon joining them on tour, and it could get interesting! Glad he’s off the Revel Kings.
    And am I the only one who wishes Clare Bowen would tone down that accent? Scarlett is so screechy sometimes.

• MJ says:

Liam came on tour with Rayna so she can record her album, which he is producing, on the road. I think he goes where the money is. I would

16. bill says:

why can’t u buy a version of the song” Im a lonesome fugutive” sung by Gunnar and his brother?