Ratings: Bones, HIMYM and Broke Girls Hit Season Highs, Deception Drops

Ratings Bones Season HighFox’s Bones celebrated its early Season 9 renewal on Monday night by delivering its current run’s highest-rated and most-watched episode.

Drawing 8.1 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating with its 8 o’clock airing, the drama notched gains of 11 percent from its last fresh episode. Bones‘ second bonus episode held onto that 2.1 while netting 7.8 million viewers.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line Has Scoop on Bones Meeting Her Maker

Also at seasons highs were two of CBS’ Monday sitcoms. How I Met Your Mother (10.4 mil/3.8) hit a new high by rising 20 and 12 percent, while 2 Broke Girls posted its largest audience of Season 2 (12.2 mil) and matched this season’s best rating (4.1, up 17 percent).

Mike & Molly drew a season-high audience of 11.5 mil but settled for a second-best rating of 3.5 (up two tenths). Capping CBS’ night, Hawaii Five-0‘s “Choose your ending” episode won the 10 o’clock time slot in both total viewers (9.4 mil) and in the demo (flat at 2.4).

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser was flat in the demo week-to-week (with a 2.4), while Deception in its second outing dropped 20 percent to a 1.6.

At ABC, The Bachelor inched up to a 2.4, while a frankly filler-y episode of Castle (9.1 mil/1.9) added a handful of viewers and was flat in the demo.

RELATED | Reader Poll: Did The Carrie Diaries Sweep You Off Your Manolo Blahniks?

The series debut of The Carrie Diaries drew 1.6 million total viewers at 8 pm — up 60 percent from the most recent 90210 and marking The CW’s largest audience in the time slot since May 2011 — while scoring a 0.6 demo rating (up a tenth vs. 90210). The freshman drama tacked on 930K/0.4 with its 9 o’clock encore. The CW also notes that Carrie drew more viewers than any episode of Gossip Girl in almost two years (since Feb. 7, 2011).

Previous 2012-13 CW debuts went as follows: Arrow (4 mil/1.3), Beauty and the Beast (2.8 mil/1.2) and Emily Owens, DOA (1.7 mil/0.5). The Carrie Diaries premiere will also encore this Thursday after Vampire Diaries. (That’s a lot of diaries.)

What were you tuned into this Monday? And yes, cable ratings (e.g. Continuum) always take longer.

1. Deception got a 2.0 last week. I believe it dropped to a 1.6.

2. Patricia says:

Bones was perfect last night!!

3. gary says:

NBC killed Deception when it put it on verus the BCS Championship

4. Madeline says:

Carrie Diaries also only managed a 0.6 for the premiere showing. I guess if you add the 9pm showing, they got a 1.0…

Will be interesting to see how next week goes. I’m sure CW was hoping for a whole lot more.

5. madbengalsfan85 says:

Loved Bones last night…and especially loved the promo for next week

6. Lilys87 says:

Deception means disappointment is french :) it was well titled unfortunately…

7. Shaun says:

Deception just doesn’t have any interesting storyline.I thought I’d watch ep 2 but then changed my mind.

8. Chicago Dan says:

NBC is not surprised by Deception’s drop. That’s why it cut the order from 13 to 11 the week before it premiered. NBC will really regret not running repeats of Revolution during December and maybe ordering two more episodes (like it did for SVU – really?) to bridge the gap. By the time it airs in March, a lot of the audience will be gone. (It was already eroding.)

• That’s not the reason why they cut the orders. The reason is that they wanted to air both shows back-to-back without repeats or interruptions. And they had no room for the original order, they wouldn’t have made it before June. So they’ll air 11 episodes of Deception in a row and the remainder of the Revolution ones consecutively as well, without repeats or interruptions. It’s actually a very good plan. It’s the plan cable networks follow in general. And, Revolution will come back and be just fine. It will have The Voice as lead-in again. THe interruption won’t be a problem. Again, cable does that the whole time.

9. leah says:

I watched my thunder game. I’ll probably watch castle tonight, and my syfy shows

10. Peter says:

Revolution will come back and be fine. The numbers leveled off and were not dropping at the exit. Monday at 10 is an easy period.

11. Deception is actually very good. The story is interesting and the actors are VERY good. Last night was not a good night across the board for NBC, plus it’s normal for it to drop from premiere. Next couple of weeks will be better, I’m sure. The show does deserve attention, it’s well written and it’s very well acted.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, the show is indeed very good and the acting is damn fine. Plus, anything involving the great Victor Garber is worth a look. Just so happens this particular anything has even more going for it than just Garber.

12. The Kaibosh says:

Bones may have scored its highest numbers to date but all that means is that a lot of people tuned in to watch an incredibly bad episode. It was ludicrous. Neither of them can dance and they both looked ridiculously out of place in the competition.

• Betsy says:

That was the point. It wasn’t a competition, it was an audition. It was obvious that they weren’t going to qualify, they were there to catch the murderer. I found the episode fresh and fun; most proceidurals follow a predictable line, but with Bones, one never knows. Enjoyed both episodes a lot.

• Stacey says:

Better than the official dance scene in Silver Linings Playbook! Yes they were bad. But they were both out of sync, because it was in character. The dream dance scene was much better. But still much more than Silver Linings Playbook was…

13. hello says:

Clearly people don’t want to see shows about rich sluts with stupid problems anymore

14. D. says:

It’s sad to see that Castle’s numbers are a bit down from the usual but is it necessary to say that it was a filler episode? I really enjoyed the episode, sadly can’t watch it live ’cause I live in Europe, but last night’s episode wasn’t a filler just because we didn’t get to see more Caskett. As much as I love them, and I do A LOT, it was great that espo got more screentime than usual.
    And also try running a show for 5 years… Every show out there has ‘filler’ episodes.
    How many viewers did Castle get, by the way?

• madbengalsfan85 says:

9.1M viewers

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

1) Because aside from an “OK” case and an Espo B-story that could have been more, there was nothing to it.
      2) 9.1 million total viewers; added.

• D. says:

I re-read my post and it sounds a bit offensive, so I’m sorry for that. But I have to agree; the cases aren’t what they used to be…

Thanks for updating! The viewers are the first thing I actually look for so I was just curious. :)

• Elena says:

I think the 1.9 for Castle is a solid overnight result and keeps the show on par with its overall ratings. I was looking at some data this morning that shows that Castle (along w Scandal) is actually the only show on ABC that hasn’t had a steep decline in viewers all season. Its ratings have gone between 1.7-2.2 all season, so the range has been kept pretty tight. That is especially significant when you consider shows like OUAT and Revenge which have not only averaged fewer viewers than Castle this season but have also experienced a viewer drop-off of about 1.5 million apiece since September. In addition, both shows have had a significant slide in ratings since the beginning of the season (over a full point difference between each show’s high and low for the season).

I am using these two shows as an example not because I want to see them perform poorly but because at this time of year it’s more important to measure a show against the shows on the same network to determine their fate for next season (I think you said that yesterday in response to one comment, Matt). So, Castle may be lower in the ratings than Revenge and OUAT but it’s actually one of ABC’s most consistent performers and has held onto the majority of its audience all season long.

I’m not an expert or anything, just someone who’s paying attention to the data and drawing conclusions based on those numbers. So, I could be wrong but that’s just how I’m seeing things right now.

• SW says:

Good post, Elena. Thanks :)

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

You are right. As we get closer to the spring fall 2013 pilot season, the competition for ratings is not only between shows in the same time slots on competing networks, but shows within a network competing with each other for slots on the network’s fall 2013 schedule.

A show such as Castle is not only competing with Revolution/NBC and Five-0/CBS on Monday nights at 10, but Castle is also competing with Nashville, Revenge, Scandal and Body of Proof for potentially two or three ‘open’ drama slots on the ABC fall schedule – particularly those dramas geared for 10pm viewing [rather than 8pm family-friendly viewing].

OUAT, Revenge, Scandal, Greys and Castle are set – they’ll be renewed for fall 2013. The battle will be between Nashville, BoP, Red Widow, etc. for that last 10pm slot reserved for returning dramas. All those shows and more [on the other networks] will end up ‘on the bubble’ as fall 2013 pilot season heats up. It will be close for Nashville and BoP on ABC – could go either way, depending upon how strong ABC believes their fall 2013 drama pilots really are.

• vincent dante says:

First time I’ve ever disagreed with you, Matt. I enjoyed the Espo-centric episode and can see that this could impact the future of his character on the show. I suspect, unless Mr. Marlowe pays attention to this column, we could see more of this mentor relationship in the future.

• Elena says:

I’m with you on this one, Vincent. I usually agree with you Matt but, to me, this wasn’t filler at all. Earlier in the season Andrew Marlowe mentioned his intentions to explore the supporting characters more deeply than we ever have. Last night’s episode was Marlowe making good on that promise. I love all the Castle/Beckett stuff as much as the next ‘shipper but I don’t think this ep was filler just because they were not the focus of it. It gave Jon Huertas a chance to shine and the audience the opportunity to get to know who Javier Esposito is, who he was, and maybe get a glimpse into where he might be going. I read just this morning that there is an episode later on in the season that will explore Ryan’s background a bit, too, and I’m already looking forward to that one. :)

@SW Thank you!

15. tp says:

I watched Continuum and it didn’t grab me. I think I will give it a few more episodes before I write it off completely.

16. M says:

What about Castle??

17. KC says:

“Previous 2012-13 CW debuts went as follows (roughly; I don’t have handy access to finals): Arrow (4 mil/1.3), Beauty and the Beast (2.2 mil/1.3) and Emily Owens, DOA (1.7 mil/1.5).”

I have access to TVbytheNumbers so can see that the final numbers for Beauty and the Beast’s debut were actually 2.78 mil/1.2 and DOA Emily Owens actually had a 0.5 not a 1.5. Does this mean that Carrie Diaries with a 1.6 mil/0.6 debut is also DOA? Even with the two showings, its combined viewers and demo are still lower than BatB and Arrow’s single airing debuts.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Numbers updated.

• Michael says:

Depends on the drop from week to week. This is the type of show that could easily tank but the lead is extremely likeable and the CW is giving viewers three chances to give this show a try(not to mention the on-demand and internet airings). The show could grow the audience if only the network would learn how to advertise it…the promos for the show were awful.

18. Anasazi says:

Deception is boring. I wanted to like it but for me Megan Good is the weak link and the writing is uninspired. A pity.

19. Christian says:

I’m not being snarky when I ask what is a filler episode for a procedural? Isn’t every episode by its very nature a filler since procedurals tend to not follow long story arcs or character development.

20. John says:

Continuum was entertaining.

21. Renee says:

They are holding back the next episode of Beauty & the Beast to show an encore of a pilot that has already had an encore? That just screams desperate to make Carrie Diaries a hit.

Who would watch this? I lived the 80’s and have no interest in watching a high school kid set in the 80’s. Would teenagers watch this? Truly believe men wouldn’t.

22. Gerald says:

HIMYM was awesome last night (too bad about Cobie’s cold) Well done. So glad to see Rachel Bilson back and Oh the tease about the mother was great and nice to see Robin dancing with her dad.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good numbers for HIMYM last night – I’m sure CBS and the HIMYM staff happy to see the uptick to double-digits in viewers and near four in demo as the story line moves into high gear this second half of season.

Nice episode last night, as we got a peak as to when Ted found out (via text from Barney) that Barney had indeed proposed to Robin [not Patrice]; that helped explain Ted’s staring out the window towards the WWN building at the end of the prior/Last Page episode. We also found out the wedding will be on May 25th, which would synch closely with the season finale of the show in mid-May. So, the wedding is a go [Ted's big white binder and all], and Ted will meet ‘the mother’ on the season finale in May during/after the wedding. That bodes well for all of us who would like to see a lot more of the woman under the yellow umbrella next fall in season 9 and her back-story and relationship w/Ted.

I also noticed Cobie’s voice sounded a bit different in this episode, and realized she had a cold. In a sense, that may have worked out okay for her Robin character – so much going on for her/Robin in the prior episode during Christmas time, stress, proposal, etc; and then new live-in arrangement w/Barney, needing to deal with her wild/crazy dad, etc. in this episode. A lot going on in her life all at once, and that could easily bring on a cold. I’m still waiting for Barney to snap – can he abandon his single-guy lifestyle cold-turkey? ;)

• Mike says:

Yes we saw something that looks like a wedding but we did not see Barney at the reception. Are we sure that Barney and Robin actually get married???

• justsomegirl says:

Just because we didn’t see Barney in the flashforward, doesn’t mean they didn’t get married. Robin looked really happy dancing with her dad, so I think that should’ve been proof that they did go through with the wedding and everything is fine. The scene didn’t show the entire reception, so since Robin was dancing with her dad, I think Barney was off dancing with Loretta. But the writers have said time and time again, that B/R do get married.

23. Jared says:

There is NO WAY the CW is happy with those numbers. 90210 usually gets around a 0.5-0.6 per new episode and that series has been on for years. Although I watched and liked the Carrie Diaries if its between Carrie and BATB for renewal my moneys on the beast!

24. sladewilson says:

Deception was good last night. It’s building to something – you can see that much and hopefully NBC will let them get there.

25. Daniel says:

Deception is confusing….so the whole family was in on the murder of the daughter? the only one that doesn’t know is her biological daughter? The father is evil obviously and the older son is as well, and it looks like the partier brother is partying so much because he feels guilty for the cover up of his sister’s death. That family is twisted and the writers are even more twisted. I don’t think the show will last but I do hope the whole family minus the young daughter goes away for a very long time.

26. Mikael says:

I’m very bored with HIMYM and I’m really only watching it out of loyalty now. How many times now has Ted “gotten over” Robin? Now that they’re renewed for another season, it seems they’ll drag out the Mother even longer. I just don’t think I can watch anymore. I don’t think I even laughed once.