Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey's, Revenge, Downton, Arrow, Big Bang, Bunheads and More!

Get More: Ask Ausiello, Spoilers

Question: I love what you and your staff have done with TVLine. My wife and I are enjoying Bunheads and would love to know just a little bunheadssomething that happens in the upcoming episodes. —Matt and Kelley
Ausiello: Thanks, Matt! For being such a loyal reader, you get the following scoop: Michelle’s going to audition for a musical in the season finale (which shoots next week), and Bunheads creator Amy Sherman-Palladino is going to make sure we see everything. “I want to take the audience through the entire experience of a cattle call,” she says. “So we’re going to see Michelle go through that entire process.” So what’s the big show she’s up for? “A new musical… that I will make up in about an hour,” she joked. (Translation: The story’s not ready yet.) “But it will be,” she asserts, “and it will be phenomenal! And it will be a lot of dancing!”

Question: Can you give us anything about the Amanda sinking on Revenge? Like, clues about which character gets whacked? —Kay
Ausiello: I can’t give you the edge in your office’s Revenge death pool, Kay, but I can tell you this: The show isn’t going on a break after its huge midseason climax – it’s going to truck on, full speed ahead! “We’ve mapped out closely what we want the end of the season to be,” EP Mike Kelley told TVLine’s Meg Masters. “This year, like last year, we’re asking the audience to trust us to lead them to a pretty explosive conclusion to Season 2 that I think will have a lot of people talking for a very long time.” Bonus Scoop: He also hinted that The Initiative’s huge plan is “all tied together to what Nolan’s able to do on the show.”

RELATED | Revenge Boss Teases a ‘Powerful’ Tragedy

Question: Can you please explain to me what The Initiative is on Revenge? For the life of me, I can’t figure it out. —Jamie
Ausiello: Until the release of my forthcoming sure-to-be-bestseller Confusion Times Double Infinity: Ausiello Explains Revenge’s Initiative, I’m going to let star Henry Czerny give you the Cliffs Notes version. “Here’s what The Initiative is: People go through life assuming they can control their environment,” says the man who plays Conrad. “The Initiative is the cloud over them that they have not addressed thoroughly that gets in the way of them being able to appreciate what’s going on without having to control them. It’s not simple. It’s nebulous. You can deal with The Initiative very simply: You can acknowledge it and move on. [But] the Graysons feel that it’s an albatross they need for some reason to pay homage to.” Now that clears things right up, doesn’t it?

Question: January 15 marks the 20th anniversary of Santa Barbara‘s final episode. Is there anything that can make me think the world hasn’t gone to hell in a handbasket since?  —Carl
Ausiello: Keri Russell has a new drama series coming out. The number of people who watched Downton Abbey‘s third season premiere is greater than the individual populations of 144 of the world’s nations. My acting resume continues to expand. Rest easy, Carl. The world is fine.

Question: So, with Barney and Robin’s wedding set to be in May 2013, does this mean the Mother will be appear throughout How I Met Your Mother‘s ninth season? BTW, nice Golden Globe pics! —Marie-Christine
Ausiello: Don’t have an answer to that question, but I can tell you that this season’s 17th episode, titled “Weekend at Barney’s,” will find the Legen-dary One headlining a circa-1988 fantasy sequence. (No word if said fantasy sequence features a cameo by Andrew McCarthy.)

Question: I’m a huge fan of Ask Ausiello and have been for years. (Ego stroke!) I was curious if you have any insider information on Episodes? Any idea when it is coming back? —Dan
And The Law WonAusiello: Flattery gets you everywhere. Episodes will return on Showtime in early 2014, and here’s a little scoop from series co-creator Jeffrey Klarik: Since John Pankow’s Merc was fired last season, there’s a new head of the network. “He’s a piece of work,” Klarik says, before adding, “He is bipolar.”

Question: On The Good Wife, there have been tiny hints that Kalinda might have some romantic feelings for Alicia (Nick being jealous, Lana, too). Can you please find out if they’re going to elaborate on that? —Flor
Ausiello: I think you can safely rule that out… although Archie Panjabi does confess that last week’s “bedroom scene” with Alicia and Kalinda was very satisfying. “It was a really nice moment,” she said of Alicia finally sorta accepting Kalinda’s apology. “[There is a lot] of pain there in the midst of everything that’s happened. But hopefully this is the beginning of getting back to how it was.”

RELATED | Major 2013 Scoop on Good Wife, The Office, Revenge, Once and More!

Question: Any scoop on Penny and Pete on Happy Endings? Maybe something about next week’s proposal? —Josh
Ausiello: Casey Wilson tells me that the big moment is going to be a dah-zas-ter. “It’s Penny’s dream come true,” she says, which means, naturally, “It is ruined by Max. We’re doing a prank episode. Everybody starts pranking each other, and they end up getting more heightened and more heightened. And something terrible happens to Max’s limo – R.I.P. Max’s limo. And Penny’s beautiful engagement is a little bit stymied by Max’s prank.” Bottom line? “Basically, Max ruins everything.” Bonus Scoop: Max may soon have his own piece of perfection in Wilson, a very handsome Brazilian who happens to be the son of David’s biggest food-truck nemesis.

scandaltvQuestion: Need Scandal scoop, please. Obsessed. —Ricky
Ausiello: How about a little intel on the couples Shonda Rhimes loves playing with most? “I really enjoy writing Olivia and Fitz and Mellie and Fitz,” she shares. “I think that Mellie and Fitz is the most interesting marriage I’ve ever gotten to write. Cyrus and James are the healthy marriage on the show. And Nellie and Fitz are this very twisted, dark dynamic of what happens when a marriage has gone bad — and yet they still love each other, and yet I feel sorry for her a lot. I have a lot of compassion for Mellie, even when she’s doing terrible things.”

RELATED | Scott Foley Joins Scandal... But as Who?!

***Major spoiler alert about Downton Abbey‘s Season 3 finale ahead, so if you don’t wanna know, don’t read on.***

Question: Not sure I want to watch Downton Abbey without Dan Stevens’ Matthew. Care to try and change my mind? —Jodi
Ausiello: I’ll leave that task to EP Gareth Neame, who has found the silver lining in the much-grieved exit. (Hint: It focuses on Lady Mary.) “When you see something that feels like a difficult thing for a show — like an exit of a key character — it’s actually a dramatic opportunity,” says Neame, adding that he knew about Stevens’ departure a year before it happened, so he was able to “flip the story in a whole different direction.” He adds, “In any relationship drama, the will-they-or-won’t-they is always more interesting than married couples. So actually what we’ve been able to do is reset [Lady Mary]. She has to start again, and that will be much more interesting.”

RELATED | Downton Abbey Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning For Season 4!

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Kim Roots, Vlada Gelman and Megan Masters)

Pages: 1 2

Comments (79)

• Wish I knew how this TBBT marriage proposal goes, since I’m pretty sure I know who it involves, considering the rest of those spoilers and, well, who is already married. I’m hoping well, but other sites have hinted at otherwise…although other sites have also hinted at ‘good’.

Comment by Nicole-bi Wan Kenobi (@ilovemylab93) – January 15, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who?

Comment by Lauren – January 15, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m assuming Leonard and Penny since they asked for “Leonard and Amy” scoop, and he gave scoop relating Amy so I assume the other one involves Leonard. And H/B are already married.

Comment by Nicole-bi Wan Kenobi (@ilovemylab93) – January 15, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope it would be someone less obvious like Howard’s mom, Will Wheaton or a random couple at a near by table in a restaurant.

Comment by Phoenix – January 16, 2013 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps it will lead to Penny and Leonard breaking up, when he finally realizes he can do so much better than her, in terms of a woman who actually loves him and doesn’t treat him like garbage.

Comment by AmbidextrousAspie – January 15, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perhaps it will be Penny that proposes to Leonard.

Comment by Gene Bannister – January 15, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @gene those were my thoughts exactly. Great minds think alike LOL

Comment by Melina – January 16, 2013 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I always thought that Penny would have to be the one to propose after she said no to Leonard.

Comment by babarsuhail – January 16, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought the same thing; Penny will be the one to propose.
          I hope it doesn’t go this way though because the series has emasculated Leonard enough that, in this instance, I do want the so called “traditional” route, and have Leonard be the one to propose…. And, of course have the answer be, “yes.” We’ve seen Penny reject him enough times.

Regardless, how it turns out though, I can’t wait to see the coming episodes, and the rest of season 6. I love TBBT so much! This series has an amazing cast.

Comment by Mirelle – January 31, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d be jazzed if it was Raj and Stuart :P

Comment by mia – January 15, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as Sheldon’s not marrying that sanctimonious pest in heat who look like his mother’s slightly younger church group peer, the now phoning-it-in writers can marry who they want.

Comment by takethat – January 19, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Hmm, does that mean the episode ends after 45 minutes?”
    I feel like I’m missing the joke here. (Supposedly the therapy session is 45min, which is more or less an episode’s length? Eh, okay. Lame joke.)

Comment by Penny – January 15, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m kinda lost too.. the only joke I could infer was the one you came up w/ as well. Unless Aus is saying that Shonda’s episodes usually only have about 3/4 worth of good material instead of a full hour. Who knows lol.

Comment by Danielle H. – January 15, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it was just that. W/O commercial breaks an Ep. lasts between 41 and 45 minutes.

Comment by Olivia – January 15, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like…and its the only way for me to want to keep watching … the driver and the Earl’s first born will find each other. Both widows…it could be romantic in a shared tragic sort of way.

Moriarty…networks do this thing where they get talent that is above and beyond a random guest spot. My first thought of CBS’s Moriarty was David Tennant…b/c how would that not be amazing…but w/ Henry Ian Cusick circling Mentalist…he could soooooo play Moriarty…his mentalist role is beneath him, but its like a stipend paycheck to a proper role for him.

Comment by Trenton – January 15, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lady Mary Crawley and the former chauffeur?! For that matter, an Irish radical making his life’s work a fight to save the aristocracy he abhors?! Is there no level of stupidity we won’t accept in the name of convenience? Sure let’s just throw the DA we all know out the window and create this bizarro parallel universe where the characters bear no resemblance to themselves.

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 15, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still don’t get “the iniative” on Revenge! Help!

Comment by N – January 15, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dittoo!

Comment by Luli – January 15, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by lll – January 16, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t there “The Initiative” on Lost also.. Maybe it’s the same one..LOL. I don’t get it either.

Comment by Theresa – January 16, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callie better give a good explanation at that dinner, because her excitement at getting the money from the lawsuit and wanting to go out to celebrate leaves a really bad taste in my mouth just reading about it.

Comment by lousi – January 15, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could she be pregnant again? Might she & Arizona be adopting?

Comment by Cassie – January 15, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s probably to celebrate the lives of those who died.

Comment by Leigh – January 16, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Santa Barbara question, awesome sauce.

Comment by Mick – January 15, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love episodes but am confused? HBO? 2014? i know that the HBO comment is a typo but 2014? thats a long time to wait for the third season….

Comment by eddie – January 15, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if we have to wait til 2014 can we at least get a season thats longer then 7-9 episodes?

Comment by mario – January 15, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Episodes airs on Showtime, not HBO.

Comment by M – January 15, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cried reading the spoiler for the last Private Practice episode. It’s become one of my favorite shows. I’ll be like the patient. “I need you.” I’ll be a wreck next week.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – January 15, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like Helena on Arrow. I wished that was the last we’d see of her.

Comment by tp – January 15, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Can’t stand her myself.

Comment by lll – January 16, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Felicity more than either Helena, Laurel or Theo..

As long as Helena doesn’t become permanent and only comes on to drive a plot, I can deal with it. Laurel annoys me much more.

Comment by kath – January 16, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given Cyrus’s behavior towards James in the most recent Scandal I’m concerned that they’re considered to be the healthy relationship. “Our baby is all ready and waiting for us, but I can cancel that if you want to keep investigating.” Real healthy.

Comment by madhatter360 – January 15, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to say the same thing. I have no idea what Shonda believes a healthy relationship is but it certainly isn’t any of the relationships on the show.

Comment by redbelle234 – January 15, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will probably all end up with Penny brushing it off as a joke, because I don’t see either another failed proposal or an engagement happening at this point.

Comment by aboutThat – January 15, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, unless it’s Stewart proposing to Raj, it’s Penny and Leonard (Pennard?). I don’t see Sheldon popping the Q and idt that could be Amy’s great present.

Comment by Olivia – January 15, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TPTB at DA seem utterly clueless. Oh we built the Matthew/Mary relationship up for three series, but gee now that its over the show will be much better because Mary gets to start over. I loved Matthew and I loved M&M. I bought the story the show spent three series telling. It infuriates me that now its oh its better with Mary back on her own. DA should have ended with dignity in the Christmas Special with M&M and their child. I won’t be watching series four and I expect many others will skip out as they realize how utterly the show has changed.

Comment by Kavan – January 15, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoa, I’m a huge Mary/Matthew fan (who’s been in mourning since he was killed off), and their relationship was the first and main thing that made me love the show, but honestly “how utterly the show has changed”? That makes it sound like it’s been ruined forever when you have no idea what that’s going to feel like or look like. Could be even stronger from a dramatic stand point. We’re all devastated about Matthew, but Dan Stevens chose to leave. They didn’t ask him to go. Blame him, it’s hardly the producers’ fault. They’re trying to do the best they can. It could be an extraordinary opportunity for Michelle Dockery to show what she’s got. An Emmy win wouldn’t be out of the question. This is going to require so much of Mary. Being independent sounds great until you’re doing it as a grieving single mother in training to manage an estate on behalf of your son, essentially as regent whenever her father dies. The biggest downside of losing Dan is no more Mary/Matthew. The biggest upside is a strong showing from Mary next season. I’ll watch the proposal scene on a loop and anticipate the amazing drama next year.

Comment by Scooby – January 15, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I understand what you’re trying to say, but I agree with Kavan that DA can’t go back to what it was. It sounds like, in a desperate attempt to leave the misery of S3 behind, Neame wants to have Mary move on as quickly as possible by recreating another great romance for her (and this is echoed by other remarks by JF et al. that came out this week). But to do so after pounding it into our heads that M/M are soulmates, meant to be, an OTP to end all OTPs, for the last 3 years is incredible (literally), manipulative and insulting. None of this, of course, absolves DS from his actions, which IMO were utterly selfish and which none of us will ever truly understand. Even so, blaming DS only gets us so far. Fine, they had to kill off Matthew. But TPTB have to take responsibility for the direction of S4 and if they truly care about the goodwill of the show, the characters and the fans, they will avoid easy, obvious, cliched tropes and write something that honors the original vision of the series — the one with which we fell in love. For commercial reasons, they couldn’t turn down the opportunity to do a fourth season. But then, do it right. Make it nuanced. Make it realistic. Honor what M/M had and will never have again. And yes, this means that DA will never again be that safe, ordered, (comparatively) happy place. But it’s better than the alternative, which is to ignore, forget and retcon a narrative we (and they) invested in and loved.

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 15, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am confused. They are just starting to show season 3 and I know that Matthew is leaving but how do you know he is being killed off? Has season 3 in its entirety already been aired somewhere else? From reading some of these posts (Mary having an heir, Matthew being killed off, the misery of season 3, Sybil being killed off) it sounds like people have already watched all of season 3.

Comment by Theresa – January 16, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I can’t quite tell if this is a serious comment, but just in case it is: S3 has already aired in the UK. These spoilers are actually old news for a good portion of the show’s fans.

Comment by Pixley – January 16, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
          • This was a serious comment. I am in Sacramento CA (United States) where Season 3 has just begun airing.

Comment by Theresa – January 16, 2013 01:59 PM PDT
          • Just before the holidays, 2012, the BBC Magazine offered purchases of Season 3 DA, but would not be shipped until around Jan. 20, 2013. That is likely why you are reading these “official” outcomes of Season 3. The first day that we received our copy in the mail, we watched it in its entirety.

Comment by Linda M. Campbell – January 23, 2013 05:06 PM PDT
      • Matthew being gone does change the show. It’s not just about M&M, its about the role his character played. One of the largest arcs of the show was Matthew coming to Downton and changing it, bringing a different view, meeting and mututally changing with Mary, the assumption they would be Earl and Countess. All that is now gone. That’s a huge shift. Beyond that you’ve now got Tom a socialist committed to a free Ireland deciding to hang around and work for an English Lord, Edith is suddenly a columnist with a social perspective. The show just changed hugely last series.

Comment by Kavan – January 15, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But Matthew did change Downton. He gave an heir. His plot function is complete. Now it will be about how that is carried out. I’m tired of butthurt MM shippers acting like this show had ONE ROUTE and it was only MM as Earl and Countess. Personally, I think it’s shortsighted and I’m interested in seeing the new route the show takes with Mary trying to carry out the legacy Matthew wanted for Downton. Your perspective is so narrow.

Comment by Claire – January 15, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You do have to admit though that it took awhile to cook this romance and add to that Cybil’s death in the same season and they’ve killed most of the interesting characters.

Comment by Shaun – January 15, 2013 11:16 PM PDT
          • Where did I say my issue was all about M&M? I’ve clearly stated that I think the character of Matthew and his role on the series was a necessary factor. DA isn’t any one character but you cannot remove a main character without altering things. Matthew’s entire story wasn’t just M&M. He had a strong relationship with Robert, Isobel, Branson. All that’s gone and yes I think its going to be different. Likewise, I think reducing his entire role to oh he gave Downton an heir is simplistic and demonstrates an inability to actually look at the role he played on the show. And as Shaun said to kill both Matthew and Sybil in one series.

Comment by Kavan – January 16, 2013 02:55 AM PDT
          • I’ll admit I’m curious to see how Fellowes handles this new direction, only if you admit there was no way this would’ve have happened had Dan Stevens not bailed on the show. M/M as eventual Earl and Countess was absolutely Fellowes’ original intention, and if you honestly don’t think so, then it’s you who are shortsighted.

Comment by Give me a break – January 16, 2013 12:43 PM PDT
        • You mean characters that have aged ten years have also changed in that time? Mellowed from 20 to 30? Gosh, that’s nothing like real life…

Comment by ben – January 15, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • People do change as they grow (up) but in mostly subtle ways. They don’t become someone unrecognizable. I think this was Kavan’s point. E.g. Irish radicals don’t, in the space of a few months, make it their life’s work to fight to save the aristocracy.

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 16, 2013 09:30 AM PDT
          • Except Tom didn’t change in ten years time. He changed in a month. Except Edith had never mentioned an interesting in writing. Both of these changes occurred virtually overnight for reasons that are the definition of plot point.

Comment by Kavan – January 16, 2013 04:21 PM PDT
      • My husband and I are HUGE fans of Downton Abbey. We just finished Season 3. I am greatly disappointed that Dan Stevens has chosen to leave the show so early and is killed in the end in a car crash. I was simply SHOCKED, angry that this happened, disappointed to say the least and am mourning this tragic ending. I felt there was enough “drama” and loss already before this loss of Matthew. It just doesn’t make sense to me. So disappointed that I don’t know if I can even look forward to a season 4 and 5.

Comment by Linda M. Campbell – January 23, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of shows seem to be taking 2013 off. Sherlock, Episodes, Louie. I hope this is not becoming a trend where shows wait a year and a half between season finales and premieres. It’s such a long stretch of time. I have a weird fear something is going to happen to me that will prevent me from seeing the next season of Louie or Episodes, because you know, it’s a really long time before they come back! Like, I could die or become so poor I have to cancel cable and internet and then never be able to watch them. I know it’s a weird fear. I have many.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 15, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its better that shows take the time to make good episodes rather than pushing out less than satisfactory stuff just to fill air time, too many shows do that already

Comment by Alan – January 16, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo Showtime for making us wait ANOTHER year for Episodes.
    Matthew will be missed on Downton Abbey but I’m certainly not going to give up on a great show just because one person decided to move on.
    It happens.

Comment by Whatever – January 15, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DOWNTON ABBEY SPOILERS

In regards to Gareth Neame’s remarks: that’s utter BS and he knows it. That’s certainly not what they were saying this time last year. (And if all marriage is supposed to be “boring,” why do Anna/Bates get their happy ending?) They can try to spin it all they want but you can’t poor blood, sweat and tears into the kind of epic, sweeping, iconic love story they built for Matthew and Mary and then pretend that it wasn’t really that special after all. That’s why people are so upset and angry (and I think it will be worse when the season finale airs here in February). We feel like we were led down a primrose path. Regardless of whose “fault” it is — and I do primarily blame Stevens for leaving — it’s us, the fans who invested in Downton, who will pay the price. … But then to insult our intelligence by trying to trivialize his departure and the Matthew/Mary story and, worse, to try to convince us that anyone else they introduce as a love interest for Mary will ever be anything more than mediocre or second best just adds insult to injury. … If they were smart, they would forget about trying to recreate the impossible (good luck even trying to CAST someone who has the same chemistry with Dockery that Stevens had) and focus simply, at least in S4, on Mary’s grieving process, her role as a mother (and presumably regent) and her involvement in running the estate. They keep saying it’s an ensemble piece and it can absorb the exit of a principal character, so here’s their chance to put their money where their mouth is. They already wrote a once-in-a-lifetime love story for Mary. Why don’t they concentrate on the other budding/potential romances upstairs and downstairs: Edith/Gregson, maybe Tom/Rose (eventually), the downstairs quartet (Alfred, Daisy, Ivy, Jimmy)? … S3 was excessively heavy and Matthew’s demise created a paradigm shift. They can’t just go back to the lighter, more optimistic Downton of old where the only tragedies are mild and noble ones. So fine, Downton wants to go “dark” and compete with the big boys of American drama on their terms? Then they must own up to the creative decisions they made last year which can’t be undone.

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 15, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, meant “pour” *not* “poor.”

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 15, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your assessment for the most part. Dan Stevens is a singular talent (one of my favorite up and coming actors of the last 5 years), and if he felt the need to move on to other projects, I can only hope he lands roles that befit his talent – I will follow his career to see what he does, and hopefully he’ll do some things in the near future to my liking. I would have liked to see him play Downton out to the end, but I can’t pretend it hasn’t been a rock-solid three years.

I almost feel the show has reached the end of an era. It needs a time-jump and an influx of characters to keep the material fresh, I think. After Matthew’s death, maybe even a psychic shift of sorts. They would be wise to never try to replace Matthew Crawley within the Downton universe though. Dan Stevens is not replaceable, and the Matthew/Mary Storyline of the first two seasons will not be matched. In fact, accepting that will be critical for fans of the show going forward. It will never be better, it can only be different.

Comment by Matt – January 15, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hi! If you have time and are interested (heh), I posted a meta on the significance of Matthew’s death and what it means to DA: shanghaiedinla[.]livejournal[.]com. … I don’t know if I think as highly of Stevens as an actor as you do — and his performance in S3 wasn’t entirely well received when it aired in the UK (I guess in retrospect many feel he had already checked out mentally) — but to me he was ideal as Matthew Crawley. And the onscreen chemistry he had with Michelle Dockery was truly unmatched (can’t say that I’ve seen anything like it on TV — well maybe Lucy and Desi, but that was comedy and they were married after all). … In terms of Mary’s arc going forward, I was prepared to accept a second marriage — a sadder but wiser kind of love — perhaps in S5 once she had been given the narrative space to grieve. But their (JF’s and the producers’) most recent comments on plans for S4 have just irked me to no end. “Oh no, it’s really better this way! She gets to find someone new!” The emperor has no clothes, people. Like I said, it’s insulting to us as viewers who bought into the original narrative vision to which they as a couple were central.

Comment by shanghaiedinlalaland – January 15, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent comment. Well put!!! Bravo!!!…I thought I was alone in feeling there was too much “heavy” drama in this Season 3 compared to 1 and 2.

Comment by Linda M. Campbell – January 23, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the heads up on PP. I will take a pass. Can’t stand a minute more of V.

Comment by Sissy – January 15, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read a similar BBT spoiler on the Frenemy’s site that said episode 16 had something big coming for Penny and Leonard and it was a good thing, not a bad thing. My guess Ausiello and her are talking about the same thing.

Comment by TW – January 15, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here it is word for word: Something huge happens in episode 16 for Leonard and Penny. We repeat, do not miss episode 16. And it’s an exciting happening, not a bad one.

Comment by TW – January 15, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe Penny is the one who proposes this time? ;)

Comment by Nobody – January 15, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I’m so excited that Episodes is coming back, I thought it was cancelled!!! Even though it’s return is next year (and probably later for me in Australia) I am still glad there is another season!

Comment by Loz – January 15, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Cyrus and James are the healthy marriage on the show.” HAH! right

Comment by Alex – January 15, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leonard and Penny getting engaged… Not sure how I feel about that. Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – January 15, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sick of Bones going undercover. It hasn’t made sense once. Comedy, dancing and now roller derby? Come on guys.

Comment by B – January 15, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially Angela going undercover. She’s an artist with computer skills, not an agent.
      Are they trying to tell me that in the whole of the FBI, there is no one who could do that so they had to get Angela?

Comment by kath – January 16, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • was that the last private practice aa scoop ever? crying about it….

Comment by lolo – January 15, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does the 16th episode of TBBT air? Is it this upcoming episode?

Comment by justanotherfan – January 15, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Shondra believes Fitz & Mellie still love each other. I know Mellie loves Fitz but I think it’s not reciprocated. Brotherly love, maybe? Makes me wonder if Olitz will ever be together as a legitable couple in the future. I sense much empathy love for Mellie from Shondra. Just saying.

Comment by Dee Dee – January 15, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted knocks up his wife in season 9 or very early season 10. His assassin daughter was atleast 3 months old at the time of the 3 year viewing of Star Wars, which is in season 7.

Comment by dragenphoto – January 15, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never ever really get an NCIS scoop anymore these days :’(

Comment by Mel – January 16, 2013 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen gave a scoop but it’s on Callie? :( I was hoping it’s about Meredith or MerDer.

Comment by Lea – January 16, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT marriage proposal: Howard’s mother.

Comment by Mike Q. – January 16, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Downton’s Abbey’s Lady Mary were a more interesting or sympathetic character, I wouldn’t mind so much of the show being about her.

But this season she’s become even more self-centered and short-sighted. I think Edith or Sybil is worth a dozen of her. So the idea that the next season will be about her new life makes me less likely to tune in to the show.

Comment by kath – January 16, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping for Kalinda/Alicia hookup. Sadly, most networks still consider this kind of thing to be either a one-off ratings magnet, or a subplot only for disposable secondary characters and guest stars. Far be it from a network to take a risk with something that could be really beautiful.

Comment by asdf – January 20, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post