Jodie Foster's 'Coming Out' Speech at the Globes: Stirring, Strange or Simply Scolding?

No matter how you felt about Jodie Foster’s speech accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Award at Sunday Night’s Golden Globe Awards, you can’t exactly call it boring.

In a freewheeling, nearly seven-minute talk, Foster publicly acknowledged that she is, in fact, a lesbian, explaining how she’d already come out to friends and family “back in the stone age,” publicly thanking her “heroic coparent, ex-partner in love but righteous soul sister in life” Cydney Bernard, and expressing pride in her “modern family.”

PHOTOS | Golden Globes 2013: Best and Worst Moments

But Foster also used her moment at the podium to reject the idea that being an actress means the public is entitled to a press conference or a reality show chroniciling her personal life. “You guys might be surprised, but I am not Honey Boo Boo Child,” she said. Foster also noted that after spending her childhood as a public figure, she’d learned to value privacy above all else.

RELATED | Backstage at the Golden Globes: Who Said What?

Check out video of the full speech below, then tell us what you thought of Foster’s watercooler moment. Did it make you laugh or cry or roll your eyes? Was it brave or a decades-late cop-out? Take our poll below, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts!

Comments (78)

• Strange considering she was sitting beside one of the most misogynistic homophobes in Hollywood. Also strange because I can’t believe anyone thought she was in.

Comment by xav – January 14, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure he’s only a homophobe towards men. And I totally agree with you that this is no surprise.

Comment by Kim – January 14, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When it comes to sexuality, all men are douches. They say something like “gay people is an aberration” or “I wouldn’t accept if I had a gay son” but when come to a gay woman, known as lesbian… they wouldn’t give a damn. I bet they get crazy when they see two girls kissing in tv.

Comment by me@hotmail.com – January 14, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You’re an idiot.

Comment by TV Gord – January 14, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I may have been blunt about saying all men. I didn’t mean that, what I mean is the majority of men. They don’t accept gay men but doesn’t give a damn about gay women. I’m not homophobe, nor want that Mel Gibson starting insulting homossexual women just for the sake of equality. What I’m saying here is the reality, As mentioned before, Mel Gibson didn’t cared for two main reasons. 1st – He was in the event, obviously he wouldn’t start a scandal there. 2nd – While some straight men are very rigid when it comes to gay people, they tend to watch lots of lesbian things because it turns them on, but when it comes to gay guys they abominate them. Bunch of hipocrites.

Comment by me@hotmail.com – January 14, 2013 12:59 PM PDT
          • Better. I take back my comment. :-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 14, 2013 06:55 PM PDT
        • Not true. My best friend is gay. My boyfriend and I knew him before he came out, and my boyfriend loves him the same as he did before. Literally nothing has changed. He comes over at least once a week with his boyfriend. We have a son, and yes, our son is around his gay uncle and his boyfriend. Not ALL men are douches about sexuality. That comment was rude and offensive.

Comment by Ashley – January 14, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As I said, the majority… not all men.

Comment by me@hotmail.com – January 15, 2013 04:28 AM PDT
    • Who was she sitting beside?

Comment by Ann – January 14, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mel Gibson. They were in The Beaver together so I don’t know why people are so surprised they were sitting together.

Comment by Steven – January 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig Jodie — but that speech was just ODD.
    She rambled on and on.
    And boo hoo about privacy. If you’re an actor, you gotta deal with it.
    And if not, find a different career.
    Sorry!

Comment by Hmmmmm – January 14, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s that simple, you can’t un-famous yourself. I think the fact she hasn’t starred in a major movie in years suggests she may be looking at a different career.

Comment by popculturewithkyle – January 14, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you can certainly disappear if you want. it’s a choice. no one is harassing Kristy McNichol about her lesbianism these days. she long retired from Hollywood.

Comment by Hmmmmm – January 14, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by Babybop – January 14, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was three when she started acting. Just caught her in a “Daniel Boone” episode a couple of days ago. She didn’t pick the career. And having a career doesn’t mean sharing every aspect of your life. Grow up. Her comments were wise and touching.

Comment by sundance – January 16, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As she said she was out for 1,000 years. It was strange and rambling, but caring at times.

Comment by Midori004 – January 14, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of thought she came out in like 2009. So….wasn’t surprised, I guess. I found her entire speech to be kind of longwinded and weird. I think she had one good line, (“Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from.”) but honestly I wasn’t all that enamoured by what she had to say. Both my mom and I were kind of confused as to why everybody was crying – just don’t get it. But good for her, either way, for winning the award and saying to hell with the naysayers.

Comment by Sara – January 14, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I felt the same way. When she was sort of rambling I almost muted it because I was getting embarrassed for her. Then (she kept going) I was confused by what the heck she was trying to say? Just say thank you for the honor and go sit down, it’s not a soapbox. Then the people started crying. What? Why? Who? In the end, I would have rather had some of the other acceptance speeches not be cut off than to have a 7 minute point of view on privacy/coming out 1000 yrs ago and Honey Boo Boo. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 14, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they were all crying for what Jodi said about her Mom. I believe she has dementia. For me I took away from the speech not so much she was coming out, but it is really nobody business what goes on in their private lives. Just because you are famous does not give everyone the right to know every facet of your life. I also think it is a dig at reality TV Honey Boo,
      Kardashians, Jersey shore etc. It is sad that people don’t have a life of their own and think these shows are watchable.

Comment by Mary – January 14, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah. See and I totally understand that part. The part about her ex partner, and her kids, and her mom…all of that was exactly what it should have been. It was just kind of all the gibberish at the beginning that I felt was really bizarre and almost inappropriate for an honourable award. But yeah. It really is no one’s business so good for her, weird speech or not – there are so few celebrities who are good at keeping their private life under wraps and she’s done a great job of that.

Comment by Sara – January 14, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry what? Oh I thought Jodie Foster was still talking.

Comment by Kevin – January 14, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found her speech very rambling and honestly just uninteresting. I think a lot of people were put off by the weird, lyrical way she talks but that didn’t really bother me as much as how unfocused it was did. It’s like she had a bunch of talking points in her head and kept mixing them up. I didn’t find her “coming out” that big of a deal because I never realized it was a question and if she was going to publicly announce her retirement, she should have made it more black and white (although I’m not sure if it’s black and white in her head).

Comment by popculturewithkyle – January 14, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Call me naive but i honestly thought she was just saying shes single, i didn’t realize it was a coming out speech, mainly because she said in the speech she already came out years ago, which made me even more confused about what the speech was about. And when it comes to actors basically asking for privacy I kinda feel like saying well your in the wrong profession then, but you kinda have to let child stars off because they obv did not have a choice. But yeah i was confused for a lot of the speech, i didtn actually understand what it was about until after when it was all over twitter!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – January 14, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree, just because you are famous does not give the media the right to be so intrusive. What the stars do on their own time is nobody’s business. If you want to be a fame whore: Honey boo, Kardashians, snookie then fine but those who choose not to should be respected. I personally do not care who sleeps with whom, but many feel it is their right.

Comment by Mary – January 14, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, why would she bother to make a speech saying she’s single? I really do have to call you naive here.

Comment by Alex – January 14, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you find the transcript and read it, it’s a lot easier to follow than watching the video. I think her nerves got the better of her on this one.

Comment by Michelle – January 14, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was both strange and rambling, but ended on a stirring and emotional note, when discussing her “modern family” and her mom. The part about her mom, who apparently is suffering from dementia, is what brought the tears for me, and probably for most people there.

Comment by Ashleigh – January 14, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This, exactly. She seemed really nervous getting to the coming out part, which was a little surprising, so I chalked up the strange and rambling part to nerves. But when she started talking about her mom and how she hoped saying “I love you” three times would penetrate her mom’s memory, that choked me up. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to have a parent suffering from dementia.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 14, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing that weirded me out about her speech was that about halfway through it … she almost seemed to be encouraging people to NOT come out of the closet because “we don’t have any d*mn privacy anymore these days.” And I was like, wait … wha?? Why is it something to hide anyway?? I totally get the idea of wanting to not be stalked by paparazzi and stuff in general, don’t get me wrong. But if you’re a celeb, you’re always gonna have that happen occasionally even if you’re not Lindsay Lohan. And that means that unless you’re sneaking around trying to hide it, people are eventually going to see who your significant other is. And why should you feel the need to hide that?? Maybe the feeling of wanting to hide it is a generational thing? The speech just felt a little backwards to me, when a “coming out” speech should feel exactly the opposite.

Anyway I’ll watch the speech again when I have a few extra minutes, because she honestly lost me halfway through last night. If I watch it again, maybe it’ll make more sense on second viewing.

Comment by maryploppins – January 14, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t see it has her discouraging people from coming out. I think she was just expressing distaste at the fact that people she doesn’t know like they have a right to know all of these personal things about her. I saw it more as a statement that people you’ve never met don’t need to know who you’re sleeping with, regardless of whether its a man or a woman, and that, if you’re a celebrity and you’re ready to come out of the closet, you shouldn’t feel like you’re required to release a press statement about it. You come out to the people who matter to you, just like anyone else.

Comment by K – January 14, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I saw it more as a statement that people you’ve never met don’t need to know who you’re sleeping with, regardless of whether its a man or a woman, and that, if you’re a celebrity and you’re ready to come out of the closet, you shouldn’t feel like you’re required to release a press statement about it.”

And I totally agree with that, I just don’t think you should have to go to the extreme of sneaking around to hide it either (which, to be fair, I do not think Jodie was doing in the past few years at least). I always respected the way Anderson Cooper and Matt Bomer went about it, which is that, even before they “officially” confirmed they were gay publicly, they just lived their lives like normal people. They hung out with their significant others the way anyone else would in public, and let themselves be photographed and went about their lives as normal, because there’s no reason to do it any other way.

I also totally agree that you shouldn’t have to do a big press release about it, which is why I also liked the way Anderson went about that bit as well – one day he just kind of mentioned it publicly and then went about his business. No big press conference, no People mag cover, no other hoopla, because there shouldn’t be any more hoopla about a celeb being gay than there is about a celeb dating someone of the opposite sex.

Anyway I’ll rewatch Jodie’s speech again later today … on second viewing I’m thinking/hoping it’ll be less confusing to me.

Comment by maryploppins – January 14, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was equal parts inspiring and odd; everything she said I agreed with, I’m just not sure whether this was the right place for it.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – January 14, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She wasn’t asking for privacy, she wasn’t whining about how celebrities can’t have privacy. She was saying that in a profession where it is hard to find privacy, you should seek it out above all things. That you shouldn’t exploit yourself for more publicity, that you don’t have an obligation to tell every detail of your life to the world. Which I found really great. I kinda think she made it clear that this wasn’t a coming out speech, that she had come out long ago to the people who mattered. It seemed like it was maybe in response to her being “expected” to come out to the world or something? I don’t know.

Comment by DreamRose311 – January 14, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said!

Comment by Linda – January 14, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I get that. But WTF does it have to do with the eff-ing CBD award?

Comment by Jody Fan, But Geez! – January 14, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Lauren – January 14, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more.

Comment by Rebecca – January 14, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly right. Her point was that everyone she had to tell she was a lesbian has known for a long time. She wasn’t coming out to the world, she was telling the world she didn’t have to come out to them – that it wasn’t her obligation just because she was famous.

Comment by ben – January 14, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s fine if that was her point–but the speech was rambling and scolding at times. Inartfully worded, to say the least.
      Nobody was expecting Jodie Foster to “come out” at the Golden Globes. Perhaps if she said, as soon as she got up there, “you know, I want to say a few words on the state of celebrity nowadays” folks would have understood that her message was about the waning quality of what we call entertainment (if indeed, that’s what she was getting at). Most people can’t relate one iota to being a celebrity; we can all understand, though, the twisted pleasure many get watching the Kardasians fake-live their fake-lives, so that type of concept might have spoken to the audience at home as well. But she was talking from a far more personal place than that–perhaps she was talking about being a celebrity and wanting privacy, “and you celebs out there should find privacy where you can.” Well, okay, fine… this is televised and 99.9% of the audience at home can’t relate to that so it’s an odd message for this venue.
      The message I personally got was, “give us our privacy”–”us” being celebs. Maybe that’s not what she meant. She should have tried a bit harder to be more clear, then, if she intended on speechifying to the world.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep reading about all these great things that she said later in the speech, but it started so rocky that I’d lost interest half way through. It just came off like she was trying too hard to be clever in the early part of the speech, so I lost interest and drifted towards Facebook during what was apparently the more emotional parts. The entire tone just felt so strange that I couldn’t stay with her for the whole thing.

Comment by JAM – January 14, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think she meant to sound like a jerk but when celebrities whine about their lack of privacy I just want to strangle each and everyone of them. Boo hoo. You are rich and famous and never have to a do a REAL job for the rest of your lives. I’ll happily give up my privacy to live in the lap of luxury.

Comment by nikki – January 14, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Once you’ve lived through having inspired a Presidential assassination attempt as a teenager, then maybe you’re allowed to be critical of Ms. Foster’s “whining” about privacy. Until then, nope.

Comment by Sean – January 14, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously? Jodie Foster and celebrities don’t have a stronghold on bad things happening to them. People deal with horrific things every day. Luckily, Jodie Foster is financially secure, got a great education, has two apparently wonderful children, is still great friends with her ex, and gets to make pretend for a living. She chooses to do what she does. She hasn’t escaped Hollywood and she’s been in the business long enough to know what it’s like. I don’t disagree that she should want privacy and that people should be cognizant that she deserves privacy. I think my mom deserved more money as an elementary school teacher–but she didn’t get it. She chose to stay in her profession knowing she wouldn’t get it. We all have things that we want that we may not get exactly to our specification because of decisions that we make. At some point Jodie Foster weighed staying in the entertainment industry with the possibility that doing so may open up her personal life to some form of scrutiny (big or small). She decided she loved her profession. Her choice.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Idiot. You do realize this is America, don’t you. There’s this little thing called freedom of speech, whether you like it or not.

Comment by Miffy – January 14, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not like most of these actors don’t have to work very hard at their jobs. Television actors often work 12+ hour days, especially if they’re leads. And movie actors also put in long hours and some have pretty physical roles. Sure, there are people like the Kardashians and Paris Hilton who don’t actually work. But most actors work really hard, and only a small percentage see the success that rewards it.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 14, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t call Kardashians and Paris Hilton actors, I call them fame whore. Their is a difference. I think that might of been one of the points in her speech.

Comment by Mary – January 14, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @nikki – boohoo, poor you. Actors and actresses are not objects, they are people. Your attitude is not really all that different to an 18th century view of black people, other than who has the money. Actors are not slaves to the public.

Comment by ben – January 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re twisting her words to say something she didn’t say. She was being honest, and was saying what I think a lot of people were thinking, whether they want to admit it or not. Imagine if a successful lawyer started complaining to the double-shift checkout lady at Walmart about how she was being forced to work Christmas Eve, but wasn’t going to get her $10,000 Christmas bonus this year because of cost savings. You think the average double-shift Walmart checkout lady would shower pity on the lawyer? The concept is the same. Jodie Foster sounded like she was complaining about not getting a whole lot of respect for her privacy. Yet she basically admitted she loved her life (which she chose); her job pays her quite a lot of money, and she’s successful in many, many ways. And she was saying all this, not just to a room full of celebs like her, but to a national audience of people who would love to have the financial freedom and creative job that she has.
        Maybe Jodie wasn’t complaining. Maybe her point was something her words couldn’t quite describe in an elegent way.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was beautiful and heartfelt – I don’t think it was written as a narrative. She said what she wanted to say in the way she wanted to say it. It’s ok if your short attn span couldn’t stay focused. She was not up there to entertain you. And I so agree w her point about how coming out somehow no longer actually counts unless you or your publicist issues a public statement. Never mind that recent high profile figures were living openly and honestly as gay men & women – they were hounded and scolded by all sides until they made a public statement of some sort – that’s what she meant by privacy. (Notice no one expects str8 performers to issue a statement.)

Few people have lived through the downside of celebrity like Foster (hinckley) and it sounds like this is an incredibly stressful time regarding losing her mother slowly. My heart went out to her – sadly typical that her very personal remarks are now being graded on their entertainment value. Michael, I’m really sorry to see a snide, Perez like take on this from you – and sorry you were too busy rolling your eyes to be moved by such a vulnerable moment.

Comment by Sara – January 14, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well-said, I agree. I found it moving and apparently so did many in the actual audience.

To those who were not sufficiently entertained by her acceptance speech, well, too bad you had seven minutes of your life wasted.

Comment by Kay – January 14, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with this. inviting people to judge the entertainment value of such a personal speech indicates how difficult many media observers (to put it kindly) find it to separate reality from reality tv. lana wachowski made a similar point in her celebrated HRC speech – that people had assumed she and her brother had avoided media and closely guarded their privacy over past 10 yrs to avoid questions about Lana’s gender/sexuality but actually it was really because ‘gasp’ they are private people who also happen to make movies. Lana made it clear that she only spoke publicly out of deep concern re the lack of transgendered role models and even then was deeply reluctant and pained by sharing such public feelings.
      Many have mentioned this was the wrong venue for Jodie to speak – well she pointed out that she may not be on a stage again for a while and clearly she was anticipating the usual ‘day after’ comments that are almost always made after she accepts something – speculation about her sexuality, her penchant for privacy, her reported breakup. Addressing (with both vulnerability and sarcasm) the ‘shrouded private life’ the press always ascribes to her and thanking the mother whom she has praised since she was a teenager as her best friend seemed like the perfect response to receiving a lifetime achievement award. I am Jodie’s age and it has been quite a journey- times have changed so much over these past 40 years but she has consistently been one of the few performers known for her unassuming integrity, humor, and loyalty. She opened her heart – I think the least we can do is not harp on about how she should have drafted a more eloquent speech or should realize she’s not entitled to a personal life. Many of us have quietly loved and respected her over the years – we appreciate her sharing such a personal statement and wish Jodie and her family all the best.

Comment by MichelleG – January 14, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night was not the right time or place for what she did. They were honoring her as an actor and rather than be gracious, she took the opportunity to gripe about fame and do this “Not gonna say I’m gay and you can’t make me. HA HA.” thing. Nobody cares, Jodie. No one thought you weren’t even before you thanked this mysterious Cydney 4 years ago. She was always one of those people that it was just understood she is gay so she doesn’t ‘need’ to say it. So her saying it by making a huge deal of not saying it was just pointless and weird.

Comment by Megan – January 14, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What she said about her mother brought me to tears. I didn’t google it but I’m assuming her mother has Alzheimer or dementia? Only because my mother had Alzheimer and I had the same feelings when it came to her. I wish I could have said I love you and she could have heard it, understood it and accepted it.

My other thought when she was done was that Jodie Foster is wicked smart.

Comment by Tammy – January 14, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she came out with cold legs in the first quarter. the second quarter wasn’t much better but you could tell she was starting to warm up. she must have given herself a damn good pep talk during halftime, worked out some new strategies, cause she dominated the 3rd quarter, setting a record for most tears cried by everyone ever. in the 4th quarter she rode the clock to victory. over my emotions.

wow, i have been watching way too much football…

Comment by cjeffery7 – January 14, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, Mel Gibson was represented theatrically by Ed Limato, who was emphatically and unabashedly gay. Gibson was represented by this one agent — one — from the inception of his success until Limato’s death. This wasn’t because Limato was the best agent on earth, and there probably isn’t any counting the offers and enticements that were made for Gibson to jump ship over the years. He never did, and that’s something that looks a lot like loyalty. People aren’t simple, and to label Gibson “homophobic” is more distorting than revealing.

As for celebrity and the loss of privacy, how does paying for a movie ticket give us the right to invade people’s lives? “It comes with the turf” makes no sense to me at all. It only comes with the turf because we like it that way. Actors, singers, whatever, are doing a job. We don’t have any more right to spy on them then they have on us. Of course I love to know what my favorites are doing, but that doesn’t mean that I’m entitled to. A concert ticket doesn’t buy me rights to the person. It buys me the right go watch the performance. But because technology makes it virtually impossible for performers to escape, intruding on them has become so commonplace that we have mistaken what is usual for what is right.

Comment by Linda – January 14, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She made comments that she might not be back on a stage again and based on her age and the era in which she grew up she probably thinks that by saying what she did about her former partner in love that she had or could have damaged her career or at least the public’s opinion of her which is a valid point it was her moment and she said what she wanted however ill timed or inappropriate you might think it was

Comment by b – January 14, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the speech was sad. Clearly, she’s going through a lot of bad stuff right now. Her mother is dying and has some form of dementia; her life partner doesn’t physically love her anymore; she’s lonely; and, of course, she suffers from some of the same child-performer issues that have plagued many child-performers. Plus, she had to deal with stalker-murderer John Hinckley. All that leaves scars. I think I personally might not have wanted to air my emotional trauma in a televised speech in front of millions of people, but, hey, she values her privacy. I think I might have just said: I’d like to thank my co-parent, ex-lover, etc., without all the preamble. And I definitely would have resisted the urge to try to be clever and make fun of other celebrities choices — and I wouldn’t lower myself to even comment on reality TV. It came across as not very gracious. But I guess she wanted to say her piece, although just talking to friends or a therapist might have been a better choice.

Comment by Lois Benton – January 14, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I thought the speech was sad. Clearly, she’s going through a lot of bad stuff right now. Her mother is dying and has some form of dementia; her life partner doesn’t physically love her anymore; she’s lonely; and, of course, she suffers from some of the same child-performer issues that have plagued many child-performers. Plus, she had to deal with stalker-murderer John Hinckley. All that leaves scars. I think I personally might not have wanted to air my emotional trauma in a televised speech in front of millions of people, but, hey, she values her privacy”

^^ God, you have such great insight. My thoughts too.

Comment by SallyinCHicago – January 14, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I read pretty much all of these comments and I’m going to have to second what Lois said.

Comment by Emily – January 14, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with Lois. This would have been a great phone call to a friend, not so much an acceptance speech. I also felt uncomfortable for her to basically say she is very lonely in front if her two sons who she no doubt truly adores. Would it not have been confusing for them? But she did suggest that mommy was losing it, which I believe she did. It wasn’t very sophisticated as she normally is – it was messy, as is real life. I do hope for her that all her dreams come true.

Comment by Gem jode – January 14, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At first, I thought she was rambling but towards the end I understood what she wanted to convey. Lois is right, it was a sad speech. This line, for me, said it all: Jodie Foster was here, I still am, and I want to be seen, to be understood deeply and to BE NOT SO VERY LONELY.

Comment by Sandrine – January 14, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I don’t think it’s that simple, you can’t un-famous yourself. I think the fact she hasn’t starred in a major movie in years suggests she may be looking at a different career.”
    That was part of it. It was her way of putting her resume out there to prospective producers and directors.

Comment by SallyinCHicago – January 14, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She already has another career. She’s been directing and producing for years.

Comment by Montavilla – January 14, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jodie Foster and her work, but most of what she said was probably said in the wrong venue. It wasn’t for the masses. Perhaps she forgot this was being televised and thought she was just talking to her celeb friends. If the message was, “find privacy all you celebs,” then that makes no difference to people outside that celebrity world. If the message was, “stop glorifying exploitation television,” then she really should have used better care to be clear. If the message was, “stop speculating and being so nosy into celebrities lives,” then this really wasn’t the right time to soapbox as it came off as scolding the very people who were giving her the award (i.e., members of a press association). The first 3/4 of the speech was awkward and uncomfortable.
    At the end, it seemed like she sobered up a bit and got back on track. Don’t get me wrong, Jodie Foster can say what she wants; this, however, was the first time I’ve ever speak so inartfully.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *I’ve ever heard her speak so inartfully.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was just plain weird. I think if she looks back at it, she might be a bit embarrassed. I was embarrassed for her, it made little sense.

Comment by D.D. – January 14, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her speech and everything she had to say. I get it.

Comment by Safron – January 14, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I also wasn’t sure about her speech but then I understood.
    The award was for her “lifetime” achievement….so it basically was an appraisal for her as an actress/producer/director and a person. Since she is obviously planning on not returning to stage (at least for a long time) she seemed to take the chance to express herself and give thanks for the things that to her seem most valuable. So, she expressed her love for her work, for her co workers, her family, her ex-partner, her sons, her mother…and said how she values her privacy (the problems with traying to have said privacy if you’re in the spotlight in our days).

She was visibly very nervous (that’s why she almost shouted in the beginning of the speech) but I thought the thing overall was very touching and honest. She made people see her vulnerability…and she didn’t try and gloss over it.
    Also, she made the point that she left a mark and she was proud of that. As and artist myself I can tell you, that’s all we ever want to achieve. We want to be seen, recognised and remembered.
    I loved that she didn’t shy away from saying such things at an event were most people accept their awards and show nothing but exaggerated humility.
    All of that only makes me like her more.
    She showed what kind of a person she is…and it’s interesting and complex, not bland, shallow and flat.

(Also, the thing with Mel Gibson. He obviously is a really good friend of hers. Don’t you have friends, relatives(…add yourself…)that are full of faults? People are complex, they have their stories. Don’t you trust her- the intelligent and well educated human that she seems to be- to stand by the right people. It’s not our job to judge. I’m sure she knows him better than we all do ^^. Friends support each other even if there are hardships and mistakes being made.)

Just my two cents. Excuse grammar and vocabulary- foreigner ;-) worse than Sly and Arnie by any chance…

Comment by Kate – January 14, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kept waiting for the camera to widen out to see whether she was speaking to Clint Eastwood’s chair.

Comment by TV Gord – January 14, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got bored and stopped listening during the middle so I don’t know everything she said but I know the whole thing was just strange and took too long.

Comment by Betsy – January 14, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a great actor who spoke from her heart.

Comment by Truefan – January 14, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jodie’s speech was heartfelt and moving at times but she’s not really in the spotlight anymore so I’m not sure anyone really cares, unless I’ve missed something. When is the last time she made a movie? I’ve not heard the gay rumors about her for at least 10 years. After seeing her sons, who were babies the last time I paid attention to them, I’m wondering if Russell Crowe is the father. Remember how she wouldn’t reveal who fathered them? Both of them are redheads just like RC’s 2 sons.

Comment by Laura – January 14, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The last movie she made was a couple of years ago, and it was called The Beaver. (Now, if that’s not a coming out message…) ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 14, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever…who cares, Hollywood is all in the toilet!

Comment by Jennifer Tili – January 15, 2013 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do homos feel a need to talk about when hetros don`t?

Comment by Aren – January 15, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She got a degree from Yale. If she wanted privacy so badly why did she keep acting. If you want privacy [and almost no one has that anymore] you should definitely stay away from acting, politics, and the music business. Or else be a character actor that most people ignore. I would have respected her if she had just said she was a lesbian instead of acting angry that people want the truth. the truth is the more famous people who come out the quicker this can become just a footnote, not the main topic. And it will also help propel change which this country needs.

Comment by Adora – January 15, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her speech was wonderful. She said her piece and the negatives or ‘bored’ remarks shows us how our society has changed. We value being entertained and amused 100% of the time. Rather than listening and understanding what is being spoken to us. I feel sorry for those that didn’t get her speech. I feel sorry for us a society for turning to social media and expecting to know everything about everyone at every waking moment in the day. We wonder why we are falling behind the world in education and we can’t even sit through a 7 minute speech that touch on so many topics and delivered incredibly well.

Comment by Jen – January 15, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post