It's Official: Britney Spears Is Leaving The X Factor -- Who Should Replace Her?

XF-RI_06292012-1_S-CS1H7786_RWhen The X Factor returns next season, Britney Spears won’t be on the judges’ panel — and it’s her choice.

UPDATE: The pop star is leaving Fox’s Simon Cowell-led singing competition to focus on her music career, she explains in a statement shared by TV Guide Magazine via Twitter. “I’ve made the very difficult decision not to return for another season,” Spears confirms. “Watching them up on that stage made me miss performing so much!”

RELATEDThe X Factor: A 12-Step Plan to Salvage Season 3

The news comes days after network entertainment president Kevin Reilly said he’d gladly welcome the “Toxic” singer back for another go.

“I think Britney did a really good job,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “People remain fascinated with her and always will… Maybe people were waiting for more drastic displays that never came. But pound for pound, I thought The X Factor was excellent this year. She tucked in really nicely on that bench.”

RELATEDReality Check Dissects The Voice and X Factor Finales!

Spears’ exit, fueled by reports that her lackluster critiques of contestants didn’t live up to her reported $15 million salary, has been rumored for weeks.

What do you think about Spears’ departure? Who would you like to see replace her? Sound off in the comments!

1. Sara says:

Well, if nothing extraordinary happens, Simon will stay as judge. Demi will also most likely stay, as she is cheap and actually a good judge (although she ruined her own acts). To replace Britney, they need someone popular and a good judge (something britney wasn’t, what so ever). I would suggest Madonna, Beyonce, Rihanna etc. but I would love to see Pink or Alicia Keys aswell. To replace LA, they should be looking at county artist, as shows like these have huge country audiences. I’m not that into country, so I don’t know who it should be, but I’d love to see Bon Jovi.

2. Chris says:

Hilary Duff. She already has a television deal with Fox for her own sitcom next fall. She could double up!!

3. para says:

Here is an idea, kick off that 20 year-old something that I can’t even remember the name of, and then bring Rihanna and Cheryl Cole! As For LA, ask that KadaShian Host beg Kanye to take it!

4. Dan says:

Who should replace her? That’s easy: BEYONCE!!!

5. Larc says:

It it comes down to either an excellent judge or a big celebrity, I’ll take the excellent judge any day. Being a good and successful singer doesn’t necessarily qualify anybody to fill a judge’s shoes. Plus it’s not a job for a kid.

6. MrTemecula says:

Christina Aguilera. She can truly embrace her inner B on the X and set Simon little show on fire.

• sjc of cny says:

Christina might be interesting but she is taking a leave on The Voice to go
      on the road with her new album. I was not impressed with the X Factor this
      year as I thought the panel judges and the contestants on The Voice were
      excellant this year. X Factor could be cancelled this year and it would be okay
      with me.

7. Tess says:

I think they should maybe consider going a different direction from the other singing competition shows and not go with the biggest names in the biz who are only there to get their big paydays and revive their careers and not really mentor or judge. I think it might be better to actually go with more behind the scenes people – get David Foster, Scott Borchetta, or Tommy Matolla and maybe someone like Linda Perry (and keep Demi if you want, or fill her spot with either one of those other guys or another woman who is behind the scenes in the music industry). Simon and Randy were not known to the public and Paula was a washed up has been when Idol started but the show still worked. No need to spend tons of money on big named “stars” that aren’t bringing people in to the show anyway. Pick people who know what they are talking about when it comes to molding talent – producers, song writers, a/r people like Simon, recod label execs who actually do look for and sign talent. It might just give the show some cred in the whole wanting to produce a star angle they covet.

8. Jason says:

No big surprise. She was awful at the job, refused to say more then 2 sentences at a time and basically got $15million for doing nothing but continue to erode the ratings. If they could get Katy Pery (highly doubtful given she turned down Idol) that would be great. I still say Courtney Love would give Simon the kind of crazy he wanted with Britney Spears!! What have they got to lose at this point? Other than that I think Shirley Manson or Jewel might be good!!

9. Jason says:

Put a dog barking in her seat and it would still be smarter and prettier than her.

10. Lara says:

I think Kristin chenoweth would be amazing.

11. Ally Oop says:

My top 10 suggestions: Shania Twain, Cheryl Cole, Paula Abdul, Sheryl Crow, Victoria Beckham, Kelly Clarkson, Madonna, Pink, Cher, Blondie

12. socalgal says:

Tina Turner & Cyndi Lauper!

13. christiaan says:

I hope Katy Perry, P!nk or Cheryl Cole. I think they would be great as mentors.

14. russgus says:

Now that Ms. Spears is gone I might actually start watching the show again. I really do miss Paula Abdul. Bring her back.