It's Official: Britney Spears Is Leaving The X Factor — Who Should Replace Her?

XF-RI_06292012-1_S-CS1H7786_RWhen The X Factor returns next season, Britney Spears won’t be on the judges’ panel — and it’s her choice.

UPDATE: The pop star is leaving Fox’s Simon Cowell-led singing competition to focus on her music career, she explains in a statement shared by TV Guide Magazine via Twitter. “I’ve made the very difficult decision not to return for another season,” Spears confirms. “Watching them up on that stage made me miss performing so much!”

RELATEDThe X Factor: A 12-Step Plan to Salvage Season 3

The news comes days after network entertainment president Kevin Reilly said he’d gladly welcome the “Toxic” singer back for another go.

“I think Britney did a really good job,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “People remain fascinated with her and always will… Maybe people were waiting for more drastic displays that never came. But pound for pound, I thought The X Factor was excellent this year. She tucked in really nicely on that bench.”

RELATEDReality Check Dissects The Voice and X Factor Finales!

Spears’ exit, fueled by reports that her lackluster critiques of contestants didn’t live up to her reported $15 million salary, has been rumored for weeks.

What do you think about Spears’ departure? Who would you like to see replace her? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (98)

• Two words – Cheryl Cole.

Comment by Gabriela – January 10, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Won’t happen. Hard to go back to a American nobody when you have stocked the panel with high profile names. And it’s not working… They will try to get a big name. Although there won’t be anyone bigger buzz than Britney!

Comment by Stacey – January 10, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha, wrong, they can’t afford to pay millions

Comment by JAA – January 11, 2013 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole, oh wait…she’s better than this

Comment by JAA – January 10, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mandy Patinkin!!!

Comment by Stuart Ross (@WStuartross) – January 10, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There goes the only reason I watched The X Factor!!!

Comment by Eric – January 10, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Cheryl Cole or Avril Lavigne

Comment by Revenger – January 10, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Avril – where’s the vomit emoticon?

Comment by Belle – January 11, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Avril is awesome. haters gonna hate

Comment by Toms1€ – January 11, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t be ridiculous. I don’t hate her. I don’t even know her. I just can’t stand her “music”. (I guess haters are anyone who doesn’t agree with you.)

Comment by Belle – January 11, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s to hoping they can find a judge who actually appears to be engaged in their acts. That’s the ONLY way this show is going to turn around. If the “mentors” don’t even care, why should the viewers at home?

Comment by ktbanks – January 10, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They had that in Paula Abdul – the only singing competition judge out there who gives a damn about the contestants.

Comment by LizaJ – January 11, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. In Season 1, Paula clearly put in time with the groups and cared about them, even though America didn’t catch on and they were all booted early. I blame that moreso on the producers than on Paula due to obvious pimping and airtime of other contestants. Regardless, everyone constantly praised Paula for her work with her acts, and then she was the one to get the boot. As opposed to say, Simon, who supposedly has the expertise, yet this season he only seemed to speak with his acts through speaker phone…

Comment by Alicia – January 11, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Last year Paula was my favourite judge. I also liked all the groups and still can`t figure out why they all got booted first. I guess Americans just think differently than us Canadians. I really liked Cheryl Cole too. HATED Britney Spears and didn`t even watch passed the audition episodes this year cause of her annoying presence.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 13, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicki Minaj, that way I can go back to watching American Idol!

Comment by Cher – January 10, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. I was just thinking that. Better yet, send Nicki to XFactor so it could have a guarenteed cancellation.

Comment by Nikki – January 10, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cancel the show

Comment by King – January 10, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +100! There are already so many TV “talent” competitions, would anyone really miss this one?

Comment by Abe Froman – January 10, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s what i wanted to post too!

Comment by Hmmmmm – January 11, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve heard P!NK and i can honestly say i don’t hate that idea. i might actually watch x factor rather than just catching up with michael and melinda on reality check.

and cheryl has eclipsed whatever simon cowell’s helpfulness would’ve been. even if she hasn’t “made it” in the US, there are plenty of us turncoats who LOVE the brit singer. this one right here is flying to manchester in march just to see Girls Aloud in concert. she’ll be fine.

Comment by collins – January 10, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LUCKY! I wish I were going to see Girls Aloud. It’s a shame the US can’t embrace British pop.

Comment by Mikael – January 10, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt Pink would ever do X-Factor. I`d watch if she did but I doubt she will.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 13, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katy Perry!

Comment by Brandon – January 10, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be terrible, she can’t even sing and her talking voice is soooooooooo annoying!

Comment by Jo – January 10, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole please!

Comment by Lisa – January 10, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ONLY reason why I even watched X Factor this season was because of the addition of Britney Spears. Without her at the judges table I’ll gladly give up this show next year.

Comment by Jared – January 10, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bag of stale coffee beans. They’d be more exciting than the washed-up bore Britney. This entire show has been a disaster from the word GO, and I couldn’t be happier. Folks in America, put a stop to this reality/competition crap, and change the channel to scripted programming.

Comment by Jason – January 10, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should steal Mel B (scary spice) from UK X-Factor

Comment by Jonothon Mitchell (@JonothonKM) – January 10, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s on the Australian version not UK…but I agree she would be a good choice (not my personal first choice) but a good one

Comment by Billy – January 10, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this idea. What I also want to see is Chloe and Mario leave. Can we have a real host please?

Comment by Cassie – January 10, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The real problem isn’t Mario, it’s just Khloe. Mario has plenty of hosting experience and is competent enough to stand on his own. Khloe has made error after error of host, and there’s really no reason to keep her around.

Comment by Taylor – January 15, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Britney to XFactor: You can’t fire me I quit. It’s her choice alright.

Comment by michelbee – January 10, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! She knew she was out, so she quit. They paid her $15M for a year to look like a blithering idiot. Idol only paid Paula Abdul $3M to be a blitering idiot.

Comment by dan – January 10, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Replace her with real shows because The X factor is crap

Comment by Joe – January 10, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first two choices are Sharon Osbourne or Missy Elliott…both have the personality and background in music needed to be a mentor…I think the show would be better if they added either of them

Comment by Billy – January 10, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was excited over the first season when they are having Simon, Cheryl and Paula at the same table. Then Nicole replaced Cheryl and I think that ruined the season, as Nicole is being a second-rate Paula. And the way LA Reid was dragging down contestants that are not his was absolutely dreadful. Not in a funny, entertaining way, but ruthless and hateful way.

Then when they replace Paula and Nicole with Demi and Britney, the dynamics of the judging panel never seemed to improve. (Funny that Nicole became a crowd favourite in the UK panel).

The judging panel needs to have better dynamics. You have got to miss those days of AI where the ridiculousness of each judge (Randy, Paula and Simon) complements one another. You can see that Randy is essentially a lot less relevant or funny without Simon and Paula.

Comment by OMG – January 10, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P!nk for Britney and Kanye West for LA

Comment by josh – January 10, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would choose Natalie Maines, hands down. She’s feisty, honest, unbelievably talented and would provide a completely different perspective. She’s amazing, controversial. Basically perfect.

Comment by topoftheworld18 – January 10, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ohh I like this idea!

Comment by Rebecca – January 10, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like the idea, but I wonder if she’d still not play well to viewers who are fans of country music (though at least she’d have a better understanding of it than say, Simon or LA ever showed this season).

Comment by Tess – January 11, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the X Factor. Idol is what needs to go. Has been around for too long. I wouldn’t mind seeing Katy Perry at the judges table.

Comment by Rachel – January 10, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for P!nk. She is amazing. I think she would be a great judge!

Comment by connie – January 10, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Slezak!

Comment by Mellie – January 10, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Clarkson

Comment by Randy – January 10, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need my Saula back- so, Paula Abdul !

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – January 10, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re going to have to get someone big like Lady Gaga or Beyonce, or at least a Katy Perry or Rhianna, if they want to save face. Oh, or how about Cher? That would be interesting.

Comment by dan – January 10, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cher is an interesting nomination, I was thinking Celine Dion. Especially if Demi Lovato sticks around, I feel like they need someone legendary, decades spanning career, the works.

Comment by the girl – January 10, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Madonna. Duh.

Comment by Nicholas Russo – January 10, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CANCEL IT.

Comment by Thomas Campbell – January 10, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who should replace her? CANCELLATION. This show sucks.

Comment by meem – January 10, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Pink being a judge. She’s very down to earth and respectable, but could still bring entertainment if asked.

Comment by kavyn – January 10, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And she can actually sing withoutv autotune

Comment by Snsetblaze – January 11, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Diana Ross :)

Comment by Scott – January 10, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOO! I am a huge fan of Miss Ross, and I don’t believe that she deserves any more blows to her already tarnished reputation!

I think she’ll be fine living the high life of a diva…like she’s been doing! :D

Comment by RodMod – January 11, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It may have been her idea but I bet no one fought her on it.

Comment by Jessica – January 10, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Assuming it really was her idea (yeah, right. *wink*) I bet the conversation went something like this:
    Brit: I quit
    Network executives: No, you can’t qui…oh well. bye!

Comment by Derek – January 10, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole.

Comment by raftrap – January 10, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIHANNA❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗

Comment by TvjunkE – January 10, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope someone sees this, i think KATY PERRY would be a great addition, she really cares bout people, she is deep and is really quiet FUN! I saw her as a guest judge on uk x-factor and she was great!katy rocks and people will love her, audience viewership will sky rocket!

Comment by Nishen – January 10, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Selena Gomez <3

Comment by Adam Bramble – January 10, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • F8CK NO. That little skinny h0 we have demi already dummy

Comment by sdfsdfsd – January 24, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol, much like previous ‘exits’ off XF (in the US and UK) and Idol, its always spun just before the news breaks that they want to focus more on their music or other careers .. she clearly wasn’t going to be pick up and this is her peeps spinning it to look like she’s too busy next season. Not that I blame them, thats what they are paid to do ..

Comment by JC – January 10, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe the “focus on music” spin. She has said that she’s working on a new CD, which is likely to be out by the end of the year if she’s free to concentrate on it. I believe the whole season for X Factor was about wanting to take a break after the last tour. And now she’s back focusing on her music. And I believe the show wanted her back. But they would have tried to cut her paycheck by lots of millions. And I am not sure Britney would have done it. I don’t believe they didn’t want Britney back!

Comment by Stacey – January 10, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would actually love to see Aubrey O’Day. I know she’s not a huge star, but she was in a reality competition so she can identify, she’s talented enough to judge, and she’s crazy and unpredictable. She also has an attitude and speaks her mind. I think she’d be an interesting addition to the panel. Then, Diddy should replace LA-that would be great!!!

Comment by Sara – January 10, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think Aubrey would be a great choice! She’s certainly entertaining – I both loved and hated her on The Apprentice.
      She knows music, she’s a personality and she can throw mud to rival Simon.

Comment by mia – January 10, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lady Gaga?

Comment by Omar – January 10, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she can’t sing, can’t dance, definetlky can’t act and is dumb as dirt and a former drug addict////that can be any pop singer to fill those shoes///maybe that little girl justine bieber?

Comment by joe – January 10, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bon Jovi, John Mayer and Pink. Done. There needs to be three men on the panel. Not two, it just doesn’t work for the X factor. Take a tip from the voice for once.

Comment by Mike – January 10, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Mayer is too much of a douche for me to watch him. I think he is a turn off for a lot of other people too.

Comment by uh – January 10, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just have to say it, that picture makes it look like all those hands are waiting to cop a feel of Brit’s chest area.

Comment by elr – January 10, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pink and Kelly Clarkson, and how about Sarah Bareilles? She was very good on The Sing-Off.

Comment by Alienate – January 10, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • someone NEW not the same old judges……..i’m tired of them being on more than one show

Comment by Barbara – January 10, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see P!nk but i hear she has massive tour commitments for 14 months so she is definitely out. Katy Perry would be interesting. I want someone new though and fresh. Britney was funny to watch but the big big problem with the US series of the X Factor is that there is something so forced about it. The UK and Australian versions of the show are done very very well but the US falls flat on its face because to me there is no heart in it unlike the others. Thats how i feel anyway.

Shania Twain would be another interesting option they could go to.

Comment by greysfan – January 10, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katy Perry’s been on the UK version, and she was good. She was also decent on Idol as a guest judge, especially sitting next to the wooden board that was Kara DioGuardi.

Comment by Alicia – January 11, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nuno bettencourt

Comment by Johnny – January 11, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katy Perry, P!nk or Shania Twain would be cool.

Comment by Vetle – January 11, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who should replace her? No one – cancel that deeply awful show.

Comment by Temperence – January 11, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely no one, it’s time to get rid of all this reality bullcrap and get some real tv shows back on television.

Comment by Amanda – January 11, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post