It's Official: Britney Spears Is Leaving The X Factor -- Who Should Replace Her?

XF-RI_06292012-1_S-CS1H7786_RWhen The X Factor returns next season, Britney Spears won’t be on the judges’ panel — and it’s her choice.

UPDATE: The pop star is leaving Fox’s Simon Cowell-led singing competition to focus on her music career, she explains in a statement shared by TV Guide Magazine via Twitter. “I’ve made the very difficult decision not to return for another season,” Spears confirms. “Watching them up on that stage made me miss performing so much!”

RELATEDThe X Factor: A 12-Step Plan to Salvage Season 3

The news comes days after network entertainment president Kevin Reilly said he’d gladly welcome the “Toxic” singer back for another go.

“I think Britney did a really good job,” he told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena. “People remain fascinated with her and always will… Maybe people were waiting for more drastic displays that never came. But pound for pound, I thought The X Factor was excellent this year. She tucked in really nicely on that bench.”

RELATEDReality Check Dissects The Voice and X Factor Finales!

Spears’ exit, fueled by reports that her lackluster critiques of contestants didn’t live up to her reported $15 million salary, has been rumored for weeks.

What do you think about Spears’ departure? Who would you like to see replace her? Sound off in the comments!

1. Gabriela says:

Two words – Cheryl Cole.

• Stacey says:

Won’t happen. Hard to go back to a American nobody when you have stocked the panel with high profile names. And it’s not working… They will try to get a big name. Although there won’t be anyone bigger buzz than Britney!

2. JAA says:

Cheryl Cole, oh wait…she’s better than this

3. Eric says:

There goes the only reason I watched The X Factor!!!

4. Revenger says:

Definitely Cheryl Cole or Avril Lavigne

5. ktbanks says:

Here’s to hoping they can find a judge who actually appears to be engaged in their acts. That’s the ONLY way this show is going to turn around. If the “mentors” don’t even care, why should the viewers at home?

• LizaJ says:

They had that in Paula Abdul – the only singing competition judge out there who gives a damn about the contestants.

• Alicia says:

I agree. In Season 1, Paula clearly put in time with the groups and cared about them, even though America didn’t catch on and they were all booted early. I blame that moreso on the producers than on Paula due to obvious pimping and airtime of other contestants. Regardless, everyone constantly praised Paula for her work with her acts, and then she was the one to get the boot. As opposed to say, Simon, who supposedly has the expertise, yet this season he only seemed to speak with his acts through speaker phone…

• Ally Oop says:

Agreed! Last year Paula was my favourite judge. I also liked all the groups and still can`t figure out why they all got booted first. I guess Americans just think differently than us Canadians. I really liked Cheryl Cole too. HATED Britney Spears and didn`t even watch passed the audition episodes this year cause of her annoying presence.

6. Cher says:

Nicki Minaj, that way I can go back to watching American Idol!

7. King says:

cancel the show

8. collins says:

i’ve heard P!NK and i can honestly say i don’t hate that idea. i might actually watch x factor rather than just catching up with michael and melinda on reality check.

and cheryl has eclipsed whatever simon cowell’s helpfulness would’ve been. even if she hasn’t “made it” in the US, there are plenty of us turncoats who LOVE the brit singer. this one right here is flying to manchester in march just to see Girls Aloud in concert. she’ll be fine.

9. Brandon says:

Katy Perry!

10. Lisa says:

Cheryl Cole please!

11. Jared says:

The ONLY reason why I even watched X Factor this season was because of the addition of Britney Spears. Without her at the judges table I’ll gladly give up this show next year.

12. Jason says:

Bag of stale coffee beans. They’d be more exciting than the washed-up bore Britney. This entire show has been a disaster from the word GO, and I couldn’t be happier. Folks in America, put a stop to this reality/competition crap, and change the channel to scripted programming.

13. They should steal Mel B (scary spice) from UK X-Factor

• Billy says:

She’s on the Australian version not UK…but I agree she would be a good choice (not my personal first choice) but a good one

• Cassie says:

I love this idea. What I also want to see is Chloe and Mario leave. Can we have a real host please?

• Taylor says:

The real problem isn’t Mario, it’s just Khloe. Mario has plenty of hosting experience and is competent enough to stand on his own. Khloe has made error after error of host, and there’s really no reason to keep her around.

14. michelbee says:

Britney to XFactor: You can’t fire me I quit. It’s her choice alright.

• dan says:

Exactly! She knew she was out, so she quit. They paid her $15M for a year to look like a blithering idiot. Idol only paid Paula Abdul $3M to be a blitering idiot.

15. Joe says:

Replace her with real shows because The X factor is crap

16. Billy says:

My first two choices are Sharon Osbourne or Missy Elliott…both have the personality and background in music needed to be a mentor…I think the show would be better if they added either of them

17. OMG says:

I was excited over the first season when they are having Simon, Cheryl and Paula at the same table. Then Nicole replaced Cheryl and I think that ruined the season, as Nicole is being a second-rate Paula. And the way LA Reid was dragging down contestants that are not his was absolutely dreadful. Not in a funny, entertaining way, but ruthless and hateful way.

Then when they replace Paula and Nicole with Demi and Britney, the dynamics of the judging panel never seemed to improve. (Funny that Nicole became a crowd favourite in the UK panel).

The judging panel needs to have better dynamics. You have got to miss those days of AI where the ridiculousness of each judge (Randy, Paula and Simon) complements one another. You can see that Randy is essentially a lot less relevant or funny without Simon and Paula.

18. josh says:

P!nk for Britney and Kanye West for LA

19. I would choose Natalie Maines, hands down. She’s feisty, honest, unbelievably talented and would provide a completely different perspective. She’s amazing, controversial. Basically perfect.

20. Rachel says:

I really like the X Factor. Idol is what needs to go. Has been around for too long. I wouldn’t mind seeing Katy Perry at the judges table.

21. connie says:

Hoping for P!nk. She is amazing. I think she would be a great judge!

22. Mellie says:

Michael Slezak!

23. Randy says:

Kelly Clarkson

24. I need my Saula back- so, Paula Abdul !

25. dan says:

They’re going to have to get someone big like Lady Gaga or Beyonce, or at least a Katy Perry or Rhianna, if they want to save face. Oh, or how about Cher? That would be interesting.

• the girl says:

Cher is an interesting nomination, I was thinking Celine Dion. Especially if Demi Lovato sticks around, I feel like they need someone legendary, decades spanning career, the works.

26. meem says:

Who should replace her? CANCELLATION. This show sucks.

27. kavyn says:

I like the idea of Pink being a judge. She’s very down to earth and respectable, but could still bring entertainment if asked.

28. Scott says:

Diana Ross :)

• RodMod says:

NOOOOO! I am a huge fan of Miss Ross, and I don’t believe that she deserves any more blows to her already tarnished reputation!

I think she’ll be fine living the high life of a diva…like she’s been doing! :D

29. Jessica says:

It may have been her idea but I bet no one fought her on it.

30. Derek says:

Assuming it really was her idea (yeah, right. *wink*) I bet the conversation went something like this:
    Brit: I quit
    Network executives: No, you can’t qui…oh well. bye!

31. raftrap says:

Cheryl Cole.

32. TvjunkE says:

RIHANNA❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗

33. Nishen says:

I hope someone sees this, i think KATY PERRY would be a great addition, she really cares bout people, she is deep and is really quiet FUN! I saw her as a guest judge on uk x-factor and she was great!katy rocks and people will love her, audience viewership will sky rocket!

34. JC says:

lol, much like previous ‘exits’ off XF (in the US and UK) and Idol, its always spun just before the news breaks that they want to focus more on their music or other careers .. she clearly wasn’t going to be pick up and this is her peeps spinning it to look like she’s too busy next season. Not that I blame them, thats what they are paid to do ..

• Stacey says:

I believe the “focus on music” spin. She has said that she’s working on a new CD, which is likely to be out by the end of the year if she’s free to concentrate on it. I believe the whole season for X Factor was about wanting to take a break after the last tour. And now she’s back focusing on her music. And I believe the show wanted her back. But they would have tried to cut her paycheck by lots of millions. And I am not sure Britney would have done it. I don’t believe they didn’t want Britney back!

35. Sara says:

I would actually love to see Aubrey O’Day. I know she’s not a huge star, but she was in a reality competition so she can identify, she’s talented enough to judge, and she’s crazy and unpredictable. She also has an attitude and speaks her mind. I think she’d be an interesting addition to the panel. Then, Diddy should replace LA-that would be great!!!

• mia says:

I actually think Aubrey would be a great choice! She’s certainly entertaining – I both loved and hated her on The Apprentice.
      She knows music, she’s a personality and she can throw mud to rival Simon.

36. Omar says:

Lady Gaga?

37. joe says:

she can’t sing, can’t dance, definetlky can’t act and is dumb as dirt and a former drug addict////that can be any pop singer to fill those shoes///maybe that little girl justine bieber?

38. Mike says:

Bon Jovi, John Mayer and Pink. Done. There needs to be three men on the panel. Not two, it just doesn’t work for the X factor. Take a tip from the voice for once.

39. elr says:

I just have to say it, that picture makes it look like all those hands are waiting to cop a feel of Brit’s chest area.

40. Alienate says:

Pink and Kelly Clarkson, and how about Sarah Bareilles? She was very good on The Sing-Off.

41. Barbara says:

someone NEW not the same old judges……..i’m tired of them being on more than one show

42. greysfan says:

I’d love to see P!nk but i hear she has massive tour commitments for 14 months so she is definitely out. Katy Perry would be interesting. I want someone new though and fresh. Britney was funny to watch but the big big problem with the US series of the X Factor is that there is something so forced about it. The UK and Australian versions of the show are done very very well but the US falls flat on its face because to me there is no heart in it unlike the others. Thats how i feel anyway.

Shania Twain would be another interesting option they could go to.

• Alicia says:

Katy Perry’s been on the UK version, and she was good. She was also decent on Idol as a guest judge, especially sitting next to the wooden board that was Kara DioGuardi.

43. Johnny says:

nuno bettencourt

44. Vetle says:

Katy Perry, P!nk or Shania Twain would be cool.

45. Temperence says:

Who should replace her? No one – cancel that deeply awful show.

46. Amanda says:

Absolutely no one, it’s time to get rid of all this reality bullcrap and get some real tv shows back on television.