Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Bones, Castle, Grey's, NCIS, a Criminal Wedding and More

Bones, Castle, NCIS Spoilers What Momsense is Bones up to? Where is Castle boldly going? Which Grey’s romance is about to flatline? How will NCIS‘ Ziva react to tragedy? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Castle | Valentine’s Day may star Cupid, but a different baby is on Detective Ryan’s mind as the holiday rolls around. Seamus Dever tells us, “There are some very romantic things going on with the rest of the precinct… and some very non-romantic things going on with the Ryans, because he’s got to rush home because Jenny’s temperature is the correct time and she’s ovulating… all those sorts of things. Ryan is actively being a participant in the child-making process!” The following week, Castle launches its annual two-parter, which guest-stars Dylan Walsh as an FBI agent. What more can Dever add? Not much – and yet plenty. “I’m not allowed to say anything, but it goes to a place we’ve never been allowed to go,” he teased. “[Show boss] Andrew Marlowe said we can only do this once, so we’re going to do it now. It’s very bold, what he’s doing.”

PHOTOS | Castle Hot Shots: Hu Is Esposito’s Sexy New Admirer?

Bones | Before you start seeking Season 9 scoop, know there’s plenty of fun stuff still on tap for this winter/spring. For one, Emily Deschanel told me, there’s an episode in which Brennan uncovers the remains of a caveman – but don’t you dare call it a “caveman” in her presence. There’s also a case that deals with time travel (?). But the episode Deschanel described as emotionally “sweet” is the one where Bones meets her maker — and/or meets her maker — in “The Shot in the Dark,” airing mid-February. “Brennan gets shot, and she either hallucinates and sees her [late] mother, or she goes to Heaven and has an encounter with her mother (played by Brooke Langston), but she doesn’t believe it.” What do the women talk about after so much time “apart”? “There are emotions as we discuss things [including] what my life is like now, the baby,” Deschanel shared. “It’s really sweet.”

PHOTOS | Bones Sneak Peek: Angela and Hodgins Get an Unwelcome Present From Pelant

Grey’s Anatomy | It looks like Bailey’s runaway bride act — although for ostensibly a noble reason – will also send her man running in the other direction, and perhaps for good. Jason George, who was at the Television Critics Association press tour today to promote his ABC summer series Mistresses, gave me this ominous preview: “The reason when Ben and Bailey are together is because he isn’t a chump, he doesn’t take stuff lying down. And it’s safe to say he’s not the kind of guy who just gets left standing at the altar. So… we’re going to ‘have a conversation.’ He’s a man of action —I’ll put it that way!”

RELATED | Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy‘s New Interns Are Sticking Around — But for How Long?

Arrow | We met up with Stephen Amell at the People’s Choice Awards, and he set the table for the CW hit’s next new episode, airing Wednesday. “It’s six weeks later, and we’re finding Oliver in a very different spot than he was before. A very, very different spot,” he shared. How so? “We haven’t seen him hesitate, and we haven’t seen him be down a bit on himself or lack confidence. And all those things are on display.” Of course, the Dark Archer – aka Malcolm Merlyn’s own alter ego – is responsible for knocking Arrow down a peg or two in the winter finale, so expect to get backstory on that baddie. “We learn a bit more about his character soon,” Amell previewed, “about why he’s doing what he’s doing.”

RELATED | Revenge Boss Reveals Plans to ‘Solidify’ Victoria as a Villain, Clarify The Initiative’s Plan

Revenge | Another mystery is on its way to the ABC drama… in the form of a casting call. The sophomore sudser is looking to fill the role of Eli, an African-American or Latino male in his early-to-mid 20s who is described as “charismatic,””witty” and (duh) “handsome.” Hitting the Hamptons under mysterious circumstances, Eli quickly charms his way into the good graces of the local elite. Hit comments with your casting suggestions!

But wait, there is so, so much more. Like, reader mail!

This week’s NCIS was heartbreaking! Any scoop on what’s ahead for Ziva? –Daniel
Coming soon, I’ll have a big ol’ deep-dive piece previewing the aftermath of this week’s double whammy. But for now I’ll let slip this morsel from showrunner Gary Glasberg: “There’s a part of Ziva’s that’s wounded, and broken, and Tony is there for her — as a friend, and as a coworker.” Specifically, in the next episode, “We end up back in Tony’s apartment, and there’s some really lovely, emotional stuff that happens.”

RELATED | NCIS Casts Young Abby for Origin Episode Full of ‘Prizes’ for Longtime Fans

You know that picture of Matthew Gray Gubler on the set of Criminal Minds, in a tux and in a church? Who’s getting married? It’s killing me! –Makayla
I actually didn’t know the photo of which you spoke, but tracked it down — and then procured this teaselet from Breen Frazier, who wrote Episode 12. “You’ll find out [all your answers] in the first scene,” he allowed.

Are Duffy and Limehouse going to be part of Justified this season? –Scott
Wynn Duffy (played by Jere Burns) resurfaces in Episode 2, in a darkly amusing scene involving one of his stooges and (of course) Raylan holding a gun. (Expect Duffy to ultimately get deeply involved in this season’s arc.) And yes, I learned the other day that Mykelti Williamson will return as Noble’s Holler overlord Limehouse, after series boss Graham Yost found a way to meaningfully weave him into Season 4’s narrative.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. anon123 says:

Aww, Ryan scenes!! Yay:) I hope Jenny (sp?) ends up pregnant by the season finale.

• Dreamrose says:

That would be fantastic – Ryan would make a great dad, all adorable and wondering what the heck he’s gonna do now!

2. Mia says:

Ncis, is makeing my head spin.

3. The part that makes me the happiest? Duffy and Limehouse are both coming back to Justified.

4. Kathi says:

I am very excited about the NCIS scoop – Shabbat Shalom was the best episode this season – perhaps of the entire series and I am curious to see how all this plays out for Ziva. I am glad that Tony is there for her as a friend and co-worker and I count the days until that friendship turns into something more. Keep it going Gary Glasberg, you haven’t disappointed me yet.

• Sam says:

I agree that this was one of the best episodes of the season but I dread the day that Gary Glasberg ever takes Tony & Ziva from friends and co-workers into something more. It will be the day the show disappointed me.

5. Jared says:

Ive missed Arrow this last couple weeks. Can’t wait for it to return.

6. April says:

Dever’s comment on the Castle 2-parter is driving me insane. I NEED TO KNOW!

7. chris hughes says:

Arrow Hasent Started Again Yet In The UK.Looking Forward To It Very Much Have Missed Not Seeing The Series

8. peacelight says:

OMG Criminal Minds :)
    I hope Reid get’s a happy story line, I want some romance for the genius.

• Blue Sunflower says:

Yeah, I don’t mind if they keep up the drama after the next episode, what with the Replicator and all, but I do want him to be happy by the end of the season.

9. I don’t mind if Tony is there for Ziva as a friend – but let’s not take it any further. They should NOT, I repeat, NOT ever be romantically linked. That would ruin the show. The two just don’t have the chemistry for a romance.

• Gaara says:

Duh they always had a insane chemistry, since their first scene together. And, like it or not, it’s still alive and kicking even after all these years :) TPTB obviously have plans for them and don’t forget that this is also the “season of Tiva” … So you can’t say you haven’t been warned lol

• vicki says:

I agree! I am so tired of any show Ziva-centric.

• Delayna says:

You’re in the minority. Ziva-centric eps dominate ratings consistently.

• Dexter says:

I agree. Most of the ziva centric episodes had surpassed the 20 million mark in terms of viewership. For instance, shabbat shalom (10×11) got 21.1 mil, a desperate man (9×13) got 21.03 mil, Good cop bad cop (7×04) got 21.04 mil. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion though, and i respect that.

• kendall says:

thank u, thank u, thank u!!!!!!!

• Maria says:

I noticed the ratings jumps too, whenever Ziva-focused episodes air. Hard to argue with the numbers.

• teamncisfan says:

Go back and look at the ratings for past seasons, and you will see that traditionally the first few episodes in January have always been high ratings episodes. Please stop making this all about Ziva. There are so many more reasons for high or low ratings.

• Brian says:

absolutely! Ziva always brings in the numbers (and this is her first January arc) so teamncisfan comments have no basis in fact) and this is the only Jan episode that has EVER crossed the 21 million mark. Coincidence? Well, we know what Gibbs thinks about those. :)

• Sadbuttrue says:

NCIS episodes in January always experience a hike in numbers. It had no competition from The Voice and a body count was promised, which always brings in more viewers. I personally am definitely not looking forward to the remainder of the season being devoted to the usual overdone Ziva angst, but fear that it is inevitable. Whether or not viewers are as riveted by this prospect remains to be seen. I love Tony, but he has been turned into nothing more than an accessory to whatever Ziva’s latest drama happens to be.

• S says:

Give me Tiva over the constant teasing and stalling any damn day.

• Stone Larkin says:

they should get romantic

• Spikenalabama says:

Yes, please do not let Tony and Ziva become romatically linked. In fact, I would not mind at all if the get rid of the Ziva character all together!!

10. LaShawna says:

Seriously? What was the point of the Criminal Minds “tease”? Those of us who track the show on social media saw that pictute with the teasing question two months ago. You didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. We’ll find out when we watch the show? Yeah no kidding. You could say the same about any of those questions.

• KittyKat says:

I felt the same way, but I figured no one over at CM is really talking to media for ANY reason, including teasers, given the recent arrest of T.G. They probably don’t want the opportunity to arise where they are forced to acknowledge it. It’s hardly “scoop”. but I expect it to be “spoiler lite” for the next few weeks considering, so I’ll take it. Besides, it’s a nice picture of Reid/Gubler.

• Blue Sunflower says:

Are you kidding? We find out it’s in the first scene and not the last. Kinda important given the other spoilers that have come out. I really wonder if they ARE going the Sherlock John/Mary route with this.

• Lokun says:

I agree. Though I do think it is a fairly nice spoiler for those who didn’t know about the photo. But the thing is that they rarely ever have any Criminal Minds scoops on tvline anymore, so everytime you read that they DO have anything juicy, you always get super thrilled and have high expectation. But sometimes, like in this case, it won’t always be worth the wait…

11. Jahojo says:

Personally I think we’ve had enough Ziva and Tony, we’ve had a good back story about Vance and we are going to get a nice story about Abbey this season. I think it’s time to tell more stories about McGee, Ducky and even Jimmy. Plus, Gibbs needs a good relationship outside of work for a change, maybe even one that’s not a redhead ;-)

• Stacey says:

Gibbs has had plenty of relationships with non redheads on the show. I think the show has done a lot of Gibbs in a relationship episodes. I kinda like that he’s solo for the moment. He’s had his flirtations. Heck he flirted with someone a few months ago. We had a Ducky arc at the beginning of the season. JImmy has a personal life. We probably don’t want him to be front burner since they tend to kill off love ones LOL. Look at Vance. We’re supposed to learn more about McGee’s father later this season. But personally, I have never been into McGee’s stories. Except for the one about his sister. He’s kinda on the boring side. Tony, Ziva’s or even Gibbs stories pop more. Until now. I have hadn’t felt Ziva was that in the forefront this season. It makes sense she will be this week, and in particular next week. It’s been quiet on the Ziva and Tony front until Christmas with Tony, and now with Ziva. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the season holds…

• Kath says:

I’ll say yes to McGee and Ducky, but as a supporting character, I think Jimmy has had enough story with his wedding and growing professionally.

12. Jade says:

Thanks for the Bones scoop! An episode abou time travel? I can’t think how that will pan out, lol… Oh maybe a portal to Pylea pops open? Lol. An Angel ref for all you non watchers ;)

13. Debs says:

Oh a Bones goodie! I really can’t wait to hear Brennan talk about her life with Booth and the baby. That will be sweet :)

14. Totally hyped up for the tony and Ziva friendship. These two are finally opening up to each other and sharing things about their past, I am positive Tony will help Ziva heal a little(or a lot), in the next episode and future ones. Because they are best friends, I am sure of that, and no matter what he’s always there for her. And maybe in the past they never really accepted that they needed a friend to talk to about these things, but now they are, and they chose each other. I am really proud of them for that. Cannot wait to see what’s next! :)

15. madbengalsfan85 says:

Beyond ready for Brennan to “meet” her mother again…can’t wait!!!

16. I’m really looking forward to seeing Ziva reach out to Tony for emotional support as she deals with the aftermath of the shooting and the loss of her father, the last of her immediate family. I hope this will be a huge step forward to a romantic relationship for them on NCIS. I’ve enjoyed watching Tony and Ziva become more honest with each other and sharing intimate moments this season……so, Gary, please continue to allow your writers to have more TIVA moments as the season continues.

17. Kath says:

Excited for the Castle episode. The show has got so much better since Castle and Beckett got together.

Gary Glasberg better not be promising what he isn’t going to deliver. I’ve waited too long to see Tony and Ziva let down the walls with each other.

Do you have any Felicity scoop from Arrow? Somehow, she’s become the most interesting junior character after Oliver. (Hope they leave Laurel with Tommy rather than Oliver.) Still lovin’ John Barrowman, Susanna Thompson, Paul Blackthorne and Colin Salmon.

18. Delayna says:

Very much looking forward to NCIS next week- this week’s episode was incredibly powerful. Cote de Pablo and Rocky Carrol deserve awards for their performances! Also anticipating a beautiful Tiva scene– it’s time for the rest of those walls to come down! Love it!

19. S says:

Loved that Michael Weatherly is pushing for Cote to get an award for her performance. Sadly, none of his co-stars did the same for him.

• vicki says:

Good point. MW is such a team player.

• TF says:

I love you for saying this! Yes, the man is gracious,humble and generous,and so under-rated. He does consistently good work and can knock it out of the park whether comedic or serious. He will never get the praise he deserves as long as he’s on a show where only his co-stars get the “Big” dramatic two-parters and arcs. So sad that some mistake “Big” acting for “good” acting.

• Sammie says:

The writers only give Mark H and Cote dP the big dramatic stories. And while Ms. de Pablo certainly put more emotion into her grief scene than is typical for her, IMO, it was more BIG and flashy than real, unlike Rocky Carroll’s heartbreaking moment with Gibbs. As far as MW goes, he is a super talent, but will never be given the kind of writing and dramatic importance given to CdP or MH, lest he should too obviously outshine the obvious chosen favorites of the powers that be. His main role seems to be to flatter the Ziva character at this point.

20. SAM says:

I was under the impression that MW has requested that he not be considered for any awards, such as the Emmy, the Golden Globes, etc. Perhaps I’m mistaken. Either way, his work over the years has certainly deserved to receive plenty of kudos, as has that of MH, and the rest of the cast, including Cote.

21. Kelly says:

Looking forward to seeing the Tony and Ziva scenes on NCIS. Their closeness this season has been wonderful and I’m excited for more.

22. Megan says:

More Tiva, please

23. I can’t wait to see Ziva in Tony’s apt. and him helping her deal with her loss. I’m enjoying watching them be more open and honest with each other. Hopefully this will be the next big step toward a relationship. They have such a great chemistry together. Keep up the TIVA moments because I LOVE them. Long live TIVA. :)

24. AngelMoon Girl says:

So excited for Brennan being shot on Bones, and for more Tony/Ziva emotional moments on NCIS! Let’s hope the time is nigh for them to finally become a couple!

25. Tivarocks says:

This season has been amazing so far. Each week seems to exceed all expectations. Here’s hoping for more Tiva and more great eps!

26. carol says:

Tiva/Ziva/Cote = the 3 best things about NCIS.

27. so excited about Castle!! :) and a little Ryan baby in the works?? SO EXCITED!!! and i can’t wait to learn more about the two-parter!

28. Ella says:

“an African-American or Latino male” – OR?! They are completely different cultures!

29. Svenja says:

I love the NCIS spoiler. The fact that Tony let’s her into his “batcave” is amazing. It shows how much these two have grown together in season 10. The progression is amazing. There was a time where Ziva would never share emotional stuff after such events. Now she does with Tony. Since Tony and Ziva are not together yet, the friend and coworker thing makes sense. Also Tony is everything to Ziva. A friend, her partner and a person she has feelings for. This combination creates a huge amount of trust. Plus it would be highly inappropriate if Tony would “take advantage” of Ziva’s state after last episode’s events. That would never happen. He is too good honourable for that. I cannot wait to see it. I am also almost afraid to see Vance and his kids next week. It will tear my heart out. Ok I am talking too much. ;)

30. chen says:

what about some spoilers on rookie blue?????
    please

31. Maria says:

Castle sounds intriguing. NCIS sounds like a dream-come-true (except I’m so sad they killed off Jackie…) and Bones sounds…well, weird,..but I’ll give it a try anyway.

32. Marisol says:

OMG this episode killed me – Cote de Pablo rocked it! I love the Ziva character, especially the chemistry she has with Tony. I can’t wait to see the emotional stuff between them next week. Of course, he will be there for her as a friend/coworker – but I honestly don’t think that status will hold for long – these are going there and I am very happy about that. Sorry to see Jackie die, but this opens up some good emotional material for Rocky Carroll – he is an underused talent on this show and I hope he is allowed to shine through this arc.

33. Jennifer says:

Tony and Ziva yes! I’ve been waiting a long time for this…

34. Mari says:

Omg Seamus is such a tease! I wanna know what they’re gonna do on Castle now!

35. Sharon says:

I am loving this Ziva story – her episodes are the best! Sorry to see Eli dead as he was an interesting character even if he was a horrible father. Jackie will be missed – or rather the concept of Jackie as we rarely saw her, but the impact for Vance will be huge. I can see this bringing him and Gibbs closer as they now share a common bond (wife dead by violent means tied to their jobs). The most exciting part of this story is the bond being forged between Tony and Ziva. The chemistry between these two is off the page and I look forward to their interactions every week.

36. sarah says:

Well Bailey and Ben got married so no worry there!
    I can not wait for Arrow!

37. Lea says:

Oh I can’t wait for Caskett romance. I want something cute & cheesy :D

38. lame says:

Gary Glasberg has to be the most fearless writer in television history. He has developed NCIS into a series that is incredibly close to real life. As in life no one is safe. Think of the major characters who’ve met a tragic end in his story telling. Kaitlyn Todd, Jenny Shepard,Mike Franks, Ziva’s dad and Leon Vance’s wife, all in incredibly shocking unexpected storylines. It’s no wonder his series is “king of the hill” and in it’s tenth season.

39. voxpop81 says:

tony and ziva will do what they are meant to do…not to worry..you will keep watching.

40. Lamis says:

Can’t wait for TIVA to happen :) I’ve been waiting for years :(

41. john says:

Why must all shows have male/female characters be romantically involved with each other. Law & Order SVU and Criminal intent had male/female partners who didnt sleep together, but cared for each other. That’s how Tony and Ziva should stay. Just because a man and woman work together doesn’t mean they’ll fall in love. Its called professionalism. And do you really think Gibbs would be okay with them dating/sleeping together?

• john says:

And don’t forget, there is a Gibbs Rule about dating coworkers.

• But that’s where Rule 51 comes in play…..’Sometimes you’re wrong’! And obviously, Gibbs has no problem with Ziva staying at Tony’s apt. in the 30 sec. promo for next week’s episode. :-)

• john says:

Yes but in a workplace,especially government, dating coworkers is a no-no. And usually when they do on shows it hurts the dynamic. Sexual tension, flirting are fine. But once they go over that cliff it hurts the writing because it ends up focusing more on the romance than the show. Bones has begun to go down hill. The Mentalist got weird when the two agents dated. It takes the focus of the heart of the show. If you want romance, don’t watch a procedural crime drama.Castle works, because it was set up from the start there was going to be something between Castle (a civilian) and Beckett (a cop). However they have said that if their relationship is exposed they’ll probably be split up on the job. If Tony and Ziva are dating, they wouldn’t be allowed to work together in the field.

• Stacey says:

As long as they don’t bring it into the office. Or as long as they don’t bring their issues into the office. Although one can say Gibbs has seen them bickering for seven years now. So if they were romantically involved. He has experienced it. This is televison. Real life is for real life. This is fiction. As long as it doesn’t interfere with a case, or office dynamic. Gibbs might be fine with it. He might have qualms. But he has known that Tony and Ziva have been fighting it, and have a special bond and connection. And in real life. There have been instance in real life of real life NCIS agents married. Or CIA agents married. So it could happen on NCIS if they decide it. And 10 years in. I think NCIS wouldn’t go down in flames if they put them together, and did it subtlely and didn’t have it interfere with the running of the team. The show has gotten very into personal stories. Fans might like it!

• Actually, in real life, at the NCIS agency, they do allow married couples to work there, but in different divisions….as a matter of fact, one of the previous NCIS directors was married to an NCIS agent. He stated that he and his wife learned not to bring their work home with them. But I do understand how some agencies might not allow that.

And another thing, if and when Tony and Ziva get together, that’s the beauty of TV, it would allow us to see how they’re able to make their personal and professional relationship work. It was that line of thought that Donald Bellisario had when he first created the series, he wanted to show how a couple in a romantic relationship could work. TV shows are allowed to take dramatic license for stuff like this, as long as it’s within the realm of reasoning. Also, I don’t think it will hurt the show at all because Tony and Ziva are just a component of the show, and will just be a backdrop to whatever Gibbs does, because it’s Gibbs that everybody turns in to watch every week. That’s just my opinion though. :-)

42. Maggie Anne says:

after seeing the extended promo for Shiva I am chopping at the bit for next Tuesday. We are going to get so much Tiva. Love, Love, Love. Is it Tuesday yet?

43. Nancy says:

Well seeing as how Bailey and Ben just got married i don’t know why you say they were breaking up! Don’t post stuff that you know nothing about.

44. Mel says:

Thank you for the NCIS spoiler! Loved “Shabbot Shalom” though I hated to lose two of my favorite recurring characters. I feel for both Vance & Ziva and look forward to seeing how they deal with the aftermath. I am a Tiva fan, so I do hope this brings Tony & Ziva closer together. I personally do not feel a romantic relationship would harm the show because they are not the main focus of the show. As long as the writers continue to provide interesting investigative cases and stories about all of the characters, I think ratings will hold strong. I like the idea of the two of them having some personal happiness (together) outside of the office….long overdue for both of them in my opinion.

45. Luis says:

Oh, please, please, please, let it be a Castle musical episode!