Grey's Anatomy Recap: Love, Loss and Liquor

Get More: Recaps

RICHARD KAHAN, SARAH DREW, GAIUS CHARLESGrey’s Anatomy returned Thursday night with hookups, sob stories and a tragedy or two.

Here, we relive the episode’s biggest moments.

RELATED | Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy‘s New Interns Are Sticking Around — But for How Long?

WEDDING BELL BLUES | After saving Adele’s life, Bailey runs into her waiting fiancé Ben at the hospital and admits that during a tense moment in the operating room, “I forgot about you and the wedding.” And it won’t be the last time because she’s a surgeon with ambitions, she tells him, which killed her last marriage. But rather than getting angry, Ben reminds her that he, too, has dreams of becoming a doctor, so they’ll make it work even if they only see each other in five minute increments every three months. The two get hitched, but the romantic affair becomes hinged with sadness when Webber shows up. “You’re here,” Meredith says surprised, knowing that can only mean bad news for Adele. As it turns out, she suffered a heart attack post-surgery and died. As everyone watches Bailey and Ben dance, Webber imagines himself and his wife swaying to “My Funny Valentine.”

THE INTERN SHUFFLE | Avery and April’s intern dates to the wedding both turn out to be a little more than they bargained for. Avery tries to resist Stephanie – “You need to stop. You are not gross, and you are not Karev,” he tells himself – but ends up making out with her in the car. On behalf of viewers, she asks him to never put his shirt back on. Meanwhile, April compares Shane to having dinner with Ripley’s Believe It or Not, but he’s just ratting off trivia to push off her so-called advances. Finally, he confronts her and says he’s come too far to sleep with his mentor. “I was being nice,” April replies, horrified at the thought that he may feel sexually harassed by her. Awkward!

RELATED | ABC Boss Weighs In on Happy Endings‘ Future, Joss Whedon’s S.H.I.E.L.D., Scandal and More

ALEX AND JO SITTING IN SOMEONE ELSE’S ROOM | Since they’ve had alcohol while waiting at the wedding, Alex and Jo are forced to stay put at the bar when paged. They end up bonding over what basically amounts to a competition about whose story is sadder. Alex reveals to Jo that he was in juvie and mentions his schizo mom and abusive dad. She counters with a tale about a horrible foster home in which all the kids slept in the basement and had to pee in buckets, which the older kids then… Well, you know. Except psych! She just saw it in a movie. The fake shenanigans continue when Jo decides to prove that a crying woman freaks everyone out. Alex pretends to yell at her for losing their room key. She promptly bursts into tears, he follows, and soon the front desk clerk is handing them the key to “their” room, where they drunkenly revel in the minibar and bathrobes of the real occupant.

ALL IN GOOD TIME | Callie and Arizona’s attempt to get their groove back by ditching the wedding for some alone time in a hotel room proves to be a little more first date awkward than sexy. Arizona asks Callie to wait in the bathroom while she takes her prosthetic leg off, but then can’t go through with it. “I wanted to be spontaneous and fun, but I can’t,” she says. “I’m not ready. Please don’t be mad.” Instead, they order champagne and make-out in bed to a movie, but not before Arizona makes a request of her other half: “Please don’t run.” “After the car accident, you never left my side,” replies Callie. “Not once. There’s no way I’m leaving yours.”

A FRESH START | Another marriage came to an end as Cristina and Owen signed their divorce papers. “We should never have gotten married in the first place,” Owens says. “When we did, we took something beautiful and we put it in this box. For the last two years, all we have done is beaten against those walls and teared each other apart.” But once they sign those papers, “We don’t hurt each other anymore.” So they do, tears falling down both their faces as they kiss. So the end is only the beginning?

Grey’s fans, what did you think of the episode? Are you sad about Adele’s death? Do you see Alex and Jo hooking up any second now? And did Cristina and Owen do the right thing?

Comments (65)

• I think Alex may have actually found his soul mate.

Comment by Michael G. – January 10, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. She’s a little like him, probably in the right ways. They were adoarble tonight.

Comment by Ash – January 10, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree they are so perfect for each other!!!

Comment by English – January 10, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perfect for each other?????? They’re horrible together. It’s more Alex and his little daughter.Uhhh

Comment by Ninna – January 11, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh. I hope not. She is more annoying than Izzy. And she tried to ruin his career because she couldn’t handle the pressure! He needs someone way more mature than she is.

Comment by Sara – January 10, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 100% agree. Hate the character Jo. Very annoying. Bleh bleh bleh.

Comment by Mark – January 11, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No substance & poor acting. Izzie was far more interesting in my opinion.

Comment by Paige – January 11, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah… True. I mean, who wouldn’t take a totally ungrateful girl like Izzie back? Izzie acted like a total bitch to Alex. It would be a surprise and really horrible writing if they made him accept her back after she left him. Alex can do so much better than Izzie.

Comment by D – January 11, 2013 11:30 AM PDT
          • I disagree. D is right. Izzie broke Alex’s heart and Alex’s isn’t dumb to take her back after that. I mean, even back in the earlier seasons I couldn’t bare having Lexzie on my screen. And I never really liked Heigl’s acting either. Izzie coming back and taking Alex would be the most predictable,bad,boring and annoying storyline ever.

Comment by Sarah – January 11, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
    • Yes! I finally like someone with Alex. He is the only 1 I need to see happy before the show ends.

Comment by Rebecca – January 11, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anybody know what the song is called at the end of the epsiode called?

Comment by Stacy – January 10, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Kiss Me” by Ed Sheeran. It was also recently used for an episode of The Vampire Diaries. Great song!

Comment by Maddy – January 10, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ending song was Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran

Comment by jenna – January 10, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was perfect for that scene! So excited when I heard him. But the scene was so sad.

Comment by McKenzie – January 10, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kepner and Avery:( but I can’t blame intern Stephanie? I would have taken that chance too Avery is gorgeous.

Comment by Mick – January 10, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s a TV show but you’d think the actors would be able to pronounce basic medical terms like duodenum

Comment by Martina – January 10, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get over yourself! So you can pronounce better than the actors? OMG. Aren’t you special?

Comment by Chris – January 10, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • unless it’s part of the character to pronounce some terms a little skewy :)

Comment by Fido – January 11, 2013 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also found that weird.

Comment by Babar Suhail – January 11, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Chief…..Not Jo (fake Izzy)

Comment by N – January 10, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jo is really different than Izzie. She’s more like a crying female version of Alex.

Comment by Anne – January 11, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The grammatically correct phrase would be “whose story is sadder,” not “who’s story is sadder.”

Comment by xx – January 10, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha it has been discreetly corrected :D

Comment by Lilys87 – January 11, 2013 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While it would have been hot for Callie and Arizona to finally break the dry spell it makes sense that there’s going to be awkwardness and hesitancy especially on Arizona’s part. There are things they need to say to each other and that’s what they are doing. Callie is earning her halo by showing so much patience, loyalty and unselfishness. Arizona is learning the value of apologizing. She is so lucky to have Callie in her life.

Comment by janet bratter – January 10, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was just a perfect end for Adele. So much sadder than if she had died on the table.

Comment by crc – January 10, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so happy that she recognized him at the end. It essentially gave them the goodbye they deserved. I mean, I knew that Adele was going to die, but I was not expecting to sob over it. That was beautifully done.

Comment by Sara – January 10, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved the dancing scene. Was sweet.

Comment by Mark – January 11, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Loved that scene. James Pickens, Jr. deserves an Emmy.

Comment by Jonathan – January 11, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goddess CO got divorced. Now end the relationship next.

Comment by Owen hater – January 10, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Been waitin for this waaaaaay too long now!

Comment by Cottage101 – January 11, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You bet! run Cristina run for your life.

Comment by Ninna – January 11, 2013 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what’s going on but Greys is beginning to feel very amateurish. From the opening scenes it felt awkward. The writing was substandard and then I saw that Austin Guzman, easily the worst writer in Shondaland wrote the episode. It just didn’t flow. It felt disjointed. I wanted to like the Jo/Alex scenes but I couldn’t. These two seriously have no chemistry. Feels very forced. And the acting from both was quite bad. What is going on over there? Its like Shonda is all about Scandal now and can’t be bothered with Greys. The whole waiting 5 hours for the bride was ridiculous. Jackson jumping to have sex with Stephanie so soon after breaking up with April puts him in the manwhore category. And having an intern sitting with Webber during such a difficult time was ridiculous. Only thing I loved was the Callie/Arizona parts since they finally talked…

Comment by Ana – January 10, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we all know it’s just erbound thing he will evntually get back to kepner and i sense that the two black interns will end up together at some point but Shonda being shonda… by the way when was the last time two intern started a relationship that lasted on this show? why is it always about the intern/mentor?

Comment by Ex FromTheLeft (@ExFromTheLeft) – January 10, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!! It was such a poor episode in terms of events and writing. The worst part is definitely the developing jo/Alex story… She is not right for him. Can’t imagine Karev ever falling for an immature girl like that. The ppl waiting at the wedding was dumb… Like that ever happens! only real and important moment this episode was Adele’s death. Oh and Owen and Christina did the right thing. I would like them to remain together though.

Comment by Jenny – January 11, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the importance of Arizona and Callie talking. If Shonda really wants to explore the “differently abled” theme then having them working things out gradually and talking about all of it is vital. That they are both nervous and tentative about resuming their sex-life feels totally real. Arizona needs a lot of reassurance and Callie is trying so hard to give her the time, space and reassurance she needs.

Comment by janetbratter – January 11, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jackson/April. I would like them back please.

Comment by Alex – January 10, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup Alex and Jo are gonna be a couple. It makes sense they are similar in their histories and she seems to be the perfect foil for him and vice versa. Also tvline reported that Constance Zimmer is no longer coming on as a love interest for Alex. (She’ll have other story lines) This is the reason. I like Camilla Luddington and she’s great. Best of all the interns.

Comment by shuayb – January 10, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was good! I love the sad story lines on Grey’s because its done so well. This wasn’t an amatuerish episode. Shonda isn’t all about Scandal. She has many hats, she is always at a table read for ALL shows so if she wasn’t happy with a show then she would have said so and changed the script.

Comment by shuayb – January 10, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for Stephanie and Jackson getting together. The poor guy has had terrible luck with women. I feel like now he has a chance to be a part of a stable relationship. Besides, I’m tired of April’s nonsense.

Comment by William – January 11, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • stephanie had no sex appeal what so ever and isnt on averys level at all. Stephaine is gross

Comment by korinnecat – March 25, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the author meant “relive” not relieve.

Comment by Colleen S – January 11, 2013 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “When we did, we took something beautiful and we put it in this box. For the last two years, all we have done is beaten against those walls and teared each other apart.”

Um…tore. Tore each other apart. Yikes. Someone needs a remedial English class.

I liked the episode for the most part, but I agree, the whole wedding debacle was ridiculous. I was happy, however, that they were able to get married in the end.

Best part for me was the Chief. I loved that he chose to not say a word to Bailey about Adele, and I loved more that rather than sit and wallow, he showed up at the wedding to support her, and be in the presence of people he cares about. I adore the Chief. He’ll always be one of my favorite characters on the show.

Comment by LdyJne114 – January 11, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it bad that when Cristina and McScreamy signed the divorce papers, I was like “FINALLY?”

Comment by Sam – January 11, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is. Because they started as the most beautiful love story of the show to end like this. It is because it’s an ode to Shonda’s incapacity of not destroying her creations. They are finally done. Even if this is a new beginning for them, which I doubt. I think is more a new beginning for each of them.

Comment by Ninna – January 11, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally LOVED the scene between Bailey and Ben. Totally loved it that he understood, that he said “You are supposed to forget” while in surgery. And that he wants to become a doctor, too. Let’s hope Shonda will keep this couple together as well and show viewers you CAN succeed at staying happily married.

Said about Adele but it was to be expected. Beautiful that Mer knew immediately that it was a bad sign that Webber showed up and understood that she had died. Both of them silently crying – heart breaking. Great actors!!
    Also I really liked the fact that Alex seems to have found this “female Alex”. I think Jo is perfect for him!

Cris/Owen – I don’t think divorce is the answer to all your problems. If they can’t succeed being married they shouldn’t continue their relationship. But I had hoped they had succeeded to give a little more and grow closer. A relationship is give and take and finding each other in the middle. But apparently getting divorced seems the answer to too many troubled marriages.

Comment by Caro – January 11, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody else feel like no one has been worthy of Jackson? Or just me? I hated the Jackson/April arc, and now the random intern whose name I don’t even know? Bring in someone memorable & capturing.

Same for Karev. I actually like the OBGYN better than this feeble attempt at trying to point out that Alex has found a “kindred spirit” in Jo, so to speak.

Ugh. All I ask is to create worthy characters for my two faves on this show! Fix it Shonda.

Comment by Paige – January 11, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. Too much of the newbies. I’d prefer Alex to have a grown up relationship with someone other than an intern. Been there done that. No need to kill off Adele other than to advance Avery’s mother as a potential love interest. Not interested as that character is way too over the top.

Comment by Sam – January 11, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an okay episode. I’m glad Bailey now has a man who understands she’s a modern woman who has her ambitions, unlike that crappy ex-husband of hers. Ben’s perfect for her! The mer and Webber moment at the end was vert beautiful, she immediately understood what it meant :(

Jo is a TERRIBLE character, and it’s awful to watch her interact with Karev. The writers are so desperate to have her be “tough” and like Karev, but she’s not. She’s annoying and it’s like Alex is ineracting with his little sister, rather than a potential love interest.

Callie and Arizona were also amazing. I’m glad they worked things out.

Comment by Dominique – January 11, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god, someone who finally thinks the way I do about Alex. Well, almost. I actually like Jo, but I would prefer, like, a 1000000 times more to see him interact with Amber! I mean, it was totally OOC for him to leave her behind after his brother almost killed her back in S7. We all know that Alex doesn’t walk away just like that. We saw that with Izzie and Rebecca and his kid patients. But I also think that we should give Wilson a chance, since she’s a new character and she hadn’t had many chances to prove us that we’re wrong about her. But, please Shonda BRING ALEX’S LITTLE SISTER INTO THE SHOW!

Comment by Anne – January 11, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was an excellent and well written episode and so sad when Adele died. It was beautifully handled with them ending up dancing together. I like Joe & Alex together because he really understands her having similar backrounds. Bailey was a beautiful bribe, as was the wedding. Owen & Cristine now have a new beginning. Der & Mer were sweet together. Just a great episode.

Comment by dlferriola – January 11, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh!!!!!!!!! Ben IS A DOCTOR. He is an anesthesiologist. He is going back to get ANOTHER specialty in surgery. Rant over.

Comment by CJ – January 11, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recall a blind item a little while back that said a show was going to kill a beloved character offscreen, and Adele was a popular guess. Well, they did it… But it didn’t suck like we all expected. It was pretty beautiful, actually.

Comment by Erin – January 11, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, folks, but Ben *is* a doctor. He’s an anesthesiologist. He is doing a surgical residency in LA in order to become a surgeon.

Comment by Bearoness – January 11, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the worst part of this episode was the horrid portrayal of the motor cycle club (gang.) Since watching Sons of Anarchy, I was just horrified at how bad the whole “Gasoline” lady was. Ugh…that was unbearable. It made everything else that was crappy pale in comparison to the gang thing. That was weak, weak and weak!

Comment by Ali – January 11, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HATE April/Jackson & they need to bring in another woman deserving of him. So glad Christina/Owen are finally over & hope they remain that way.

Comment by Dena – January 11, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want more screen time for Cristina and Owen. And I believe Owen was right, they should never have gotten married but that doesn’t mean that they didn’t loved or still love each other. Personally, I believe marriage puts more restrictions in a relationship.However, they should remain together because most probably Grey’s will run only for 1 or 2 seasons and to introduce new love interest for either of them and then evolve the chemistry with the new partner is hard. Cristina and Owen ‘s relationship is way too deep.

Comment by Sia – January 13, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone think Shane is gay? That maybe this EMT coming on board is a possible love interest for him? The thought crossed my mind especially during this episode. The way he reacted to April and the idea that she was making a move.

Comment by yankee77 – January 13, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no… Shane isn’t an important character enough to have his own story lines….I’m hoping the EMT is for April so that Jackson will get jealous!!!

Comment by dana – January 14, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cristina & Owen should start all over again from scratch, a fresh start is what they need.

Comment by Dido – January 14, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While it might be convenient for the writers (as it is on daytime soaps) to keep giving the same characters a “fresh start”, in reality how do you erase the past? You don’t. C&O never wanted the same things (he wants a family/she doesn’t) and that is non-negotiable. They got married in the wake of the shooter incident which is also what brought Callie and Arizona back together. Arizona began to see parenthood as a viability after that incident but didn’t leap into marriage right away. It wasn’t ’till she returned from Africa to find Callie pregnant that her love for Callie opened her heart to Callie’s baby. Some people want the same for Christina but her disinterest in motherhood seems more adamant than Arizona’s. The irony that the lesbian reconsiders motherhood but the straight woman doesn’t isn’t lost on the viewers as Arizona states that (being a mother) is “something I didn’t even know I wanted…”

Comment by janet bratter – January 14, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post