2013 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

blog_combo_1.4.13_finalTV’s queasy season has arrived! From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows are good to return next fall… and which will join Mob Doctor, Partners and Emily Owens, M.D. over at the MIA Network.

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the “bubble,” we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so we strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. As a reminder, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

And now, the Scorecard (use these links to jump to CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW).

ABC
666 Park Avenue: Officially cancelled.
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled.
Castle: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment 23: A long-shot. Unofficially canceled.
Family Tools: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s AnatomyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
How To Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life): Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Last Man Standing: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Last Resort: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 24.
Malibu Country: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
The MiddleA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Modern FamilyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Nashville: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Neighbors: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a TimeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Private Practice: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 22.
Red Widow: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
RevengeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Scandal: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Shark Tank: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Zero Hour: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR CBS!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewal Scorecards, Renewals

1. mia says:

PLEASE CW, renew Beauty and the Beast!!!!!!!!!!!

2. liz says:

I REALLY REALLY want CSI:N.Y. and CHICAGO FIRE to be renewed!! GREAT shows, GREAT cast, GREAT writers!! :)

3. Michael says:

Nikita is a safe bet. If they renewed the show with last year’s crappy ratings, they aren’t going to cancel it when it is only a season away from true syndication numbers. Give the awful 90210 the boot, cut the cord on Beauty and the Beast and renew both Nikita and Hart of Dixie(and find a show that complements Zoey and company).

4. A says:

Ok Happy Endings, Mindy Project, and Hart of Dixie need to be renewed!!!! what is this “could go either way” crap?!

5. A says:

And What about the USA network? Covert Affairs? Suits?

• Alex says:

This is the “big 5″ only, and USA is a cable network. They usually do a cable renewal scorecard at some point as well.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Well, the ‘big 4′…. the ‘big 5′ if you count NBC.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Speaking of NBC, I didn’t see ‘Dateline’ listed, but I assume that is ‘A sure thing’ – gotta have that show on the NBC fall schedule- you can build a terrific lineup around that jewel. That must be why NBC is fighting CNN and Jeff Zucker over Ann Curry’s contract. What is Dateline without Ann? The fine folks at NBC never fail to amaze me.

6. Dusk says:

I hate TV now especially the CW. They cancel all the good shows (THE SECRET CIRCLE!!!!) and put s**t like Beauty and (not so) Beast. I’m sorry B&TB fans but it’s gonna suffer the same fate like TSC did.

7. Georgia says:

Not sure I understand the cancellation of Emily Owens, M.D. It didn’t start until mid-October and cancellation was announced in early December. They were just getting started and I was just beginning to understand the characters. What happened?

8. Hannah says:

I feel like Rules of Engagement was always a long shot show. I didn’t think it had a good premise, but I liked that actors. I have watched it off and on for the past few years and still don’t think it has a strong premise, but I like the actors and the characters. It just keeps on keepin’ on. I am thrilled The New Normal is considered a safe bet. It definitely needs more time to build an audience. Plus, I want to see the dads’ raise the baby for at least a season before it is canceled. If The New Normal could focus more on rolling jokes and less on lecturing than it could be great. It has a great cast and Nene’s acting is getting better. Ans pleeeeeease let Happy Endings get renewed. I love that show so much.

9. Hannah says:

oh, and how is Glee surviving. The ratings are now just as bad as the story lines.

• KellyG says:

So true!!! Glee used to the THE show for me. Not now. There are so many really good ones to watch now. Castle, NCIS, Point of Interest, Arrow, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation , Grimm, Once Upon A Time. There are 5 I won’t miss, but do DVR several to make sure I won’t miss anything. Not a fan of Smash or Nashville either. Can’t say why.

• Lily_Girl says:

I think Glee survives because it has a loyal fanbase (regardless of the writing) – true, it has lost some viewers [live], but millions DVR it and watch as well within a few days after airing. I think it’s a lot of people’s ‘guilty pleasure’. : )

• KellyG says:

You’re a loyal fan and I’m glad for you. Glad you enjoy Glee. I’m just disappointed in the direction of the show this season. It doesn’t entertain me like it does you. Was a loyal fan like you til this season. I had DVR’d Glee to watch many scenes of the characters who comsume me. But it just has fallen flat so far. Perhaps, Glee has decided to center on the younger fans and their types of music and stories. I miss the great cross section of types and genres of music and their eras. Loved the 80′s and 90′s covers. As it is today, it doesn’t appeal to me. There are so many other shows that are entertaining, worth watching, and fill me with mirth. And I’m glad that some of the ones I enjoy will return.

10. ThatBob says:

The comments on this site are always terribly depressing because they just prove that no matter how bad a show is, and how low its ratings, there’s always somebody, somewhere, who thinks a dumb, unfunny, crappy show is somehow, smart, funny, and brilliant.

11. C says:

I’ve always wondered how Hart of Dixie would do if it was on CBS or ABC or something, and had proper promotion.

I love love love Hart of Dixie. I’ve seen every episode multiple times. It just makes me happy, plus Zoe+Wade are just addictive. I really hope (and expect) CW renews it. People seem to be finding Season 1 on Netflix now and falling in love with it.

• Rai says:

Well, see if that shows in the ratings! there seems to be a lot of love for this show here and still it feels -like nikita- as it all depends on the effing demos and whatever it is the ptb have in store for pilots next spring. I think it was a great decision last year to keep Nikita and HOD, and move a little bit away from the teenagey aura that seems to surround the CW.

12. Julie says:

I read through quickly and, unless I missed it, I didn’t see anyone mention “Raising Hope” and the Chance family. They are so goofy but they love and stand by each other no matter what. We really get a kick out of this show and hope it stays on for a long time. I think it may be one of the few Fox shows we watch.

• nick1372 says:

You did miss it. TV Line says that it’s a safe bet. I personally disagree with that. It’s definitely a sure bet. I’d bet my bottom dollar on Raising Hope being renewed.

13. EmmaY says:

most of the shows I like have the green light, its my little guilty pleasure CW shows that get cancelled…. Emily Owens and I guess LA Complex :(

14. siskaaw says:

I need castle to be renewed. It definitely a sure thing, please!

15. Julie says:

I think it would be nice if they woud include other shows from other stations, also. I like the new Dallas, and have enjoyed Anger Management and Magic City. My husband likes Boss but it has been cancelled. Then there are the shows on TV land like Hot in Cleveland and Happily Divorced, and the others. Then the cute ones on ABC Family…I guess they can’t name them all or the list would be too long just like mine is here.

• nick1372 says:

Cable channels are very different than broadcast channels, Julie, so most sites don’t try to guess whether a show will be renewed or not. Here’s my guesses for the ones you mentioned:
      Dallas- returns Jan 28.
      Anger Management- returns Jan 17.
      Magic City- returns sometime in 2013
      Hot in Cleveland- a sure bet
      Happily Divorced- a safe bet
      Those “cute ones on ABC Family”- All renewed except Jane By Design (cancelled) and Beverly Hills Nannies (a long-shot)

• Julie says:

Thanks Nick. I think I knew they are different when I wrote, because that isn’t why this site was created. I was thinking out loud in print, I guess, ha. I don’t watch much on ABC Fam and neither of the ones you mentioned, just threw it out (I think we watch Melissa and Joey??) anyway, Thank you for your very nice comment!

• Kira Morgan says:

Secret Life of an American Teenager is approaching its final season

16. kali says:

Nashville could go either way?? That is too bad :(
    I am totally hooked and I am European with no ties to country music whatever. I really hope it stays on!

• Frank O. says:

I know Kali…the fact that NASHVILLE is deemed as “could go either way” is disheartening indeed as the show is worth more than just being on the fence straddling. I think that the southern-flavored angle and country-themed music might be serving as the turn-off mechanism for the mass TV audiences in regions of the country (i.e. the northeast for instance) that aren’t as enlightened by the Grand Ole Opry-stylized music. It is quite sad because the music is actually infectious and inspired and I do not even consider myself a fan of country music at all. This show has me hooked as well but I imagine that ABC is looking for better numbers to justify this toe-tapping tune-riddled drama to earn its solid second season stripes without questioning its performance of uncertainty among fickle TV viewers.

17. WLE says:

I think I’m one of the few people who really enjoys Guys With Kids and I’m sad to see it’s a long shot. It’s better than Whitney.

18. Ella says:

HOW IN THE WORLD is Bones a sure thing and Castle a safe bet?! Yes, I am comparing those two shows again. I feel that Castle has so much more going for it than Bones right now and I love them both.

I hate this time of year for this reason ;-)

• Renee says:

Different channels.

• nick1372 says:

They actually get pretty similar ratings, but Bones is Fox’s only successful drama. ABC has Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Grey’s Anatomy, and Scandal, all which out-rate Castle.

• Courtney says:

Castle does well in the ratings. But their demo is not so good which is all ABC cares about. Luckily for Castle fans, ABC has nada to replace it with………so they are safe. I feel strongly that they will be renewed. JMO.

• Personally, I dont watch Bones so I cant judge the show.But I am a STRONG Castle fan. I dont know why A.B.C. doesnt promo it. I am sick to death of all the ads I see for The Bachelor that I dont even want to watch it. A big shout out to A.B.C.’s new show’Malibu Country” for mentions of Castle. Thats more than A.B.C. does!I love both of these shows and they better stick around.

• Karen Pac says:

I have noticed those shout outs to Castle on Malibu Country (which I love) and honestly that is what made me look for Castle. I hope with all my heart that both shows get picked up. I think Malibu Country has a great cast and I like the humor in it, especially between Lily Tomlin and Reba and Reba and Jai Rodriguez. Im not sure how loyal ABC is to its shows but right now Im hoping very loyal when it comes to those two.

19. Thomas M says:

HOW CAN THEY CANCEL NEIGHBORS?!!? I know it isn’t official, but, c’mon, The Neighbors is the funniest new show.

20. n8ball78 says:

Sorry people but network tv sucks. Aside from fox’s and abc’s Sunday nights, fringe is the only other show that is any good, and that’s coming to an end soon. I have to force myself to watch revolution only out of hope that it will get good soon. Cable tv is where its at as far as entertainment goes. TWD, breaking bad, the killing, mad men, sons of anarchy, justified, and hopefully the americans are way better than anything that is on the networks

• Olive says:

Actually, The Good Wife is at the same quality level of most scripted shows on cable. I would say it is even better than Justified and Dexter, although, I love Justified and Dexter.

• Audrey says:

That is a bit harsh to say that network TV (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) sucks. But I will agree cable TV and some CW shows are better. I mean, up until early December, the only network show I was watching was Castle. I haven’t watched since then and I’m debating whether to go back to it or not. My top 5 favorite shows are on both USA and CW (Suits, White Collar, Beauty & The Beast, Arrow & Supernatural). It’s their storylines that get me watching week after week.

• Emily Hansen says:

The only network show i watch is Castle and it’s amazing and they just aired the 100th episode which was pretty awesome so you should continue to watch it

21. They have to renew SVU or I dunno what I’ll do…

22. Nathan says:

I hope Partners somehow comes back. I thought it was amazing.

23. nick1372 says:

I have a bunch of disagreements but here are the main three:
    -Raising Hope, Blue Bloods, and Hawaii Five-0 are sure things. They are within 22 episodes of the “magic” 88-episode limit for stripped syndication. The networks, especially CBS, have a history of pushing for shows to get to this barrier, no matter what the ratings. For this same reason, Nikita should be a safe bet, despite its utterly terrible ratings.
    -You’re acting too fast on a few. The Good Wife, Chicago Fire, and Scandal are not sure bets, and The Neighbors is not a long shot. While Chicago Fire and Scandal have posted high ratings in recent weeks, that is not the new normal. I have no idea what basis you have for The Good Wife, it’s CBS’s lowest-rated 9 pm show that is not on Friday. And the Neighbors has decent ratings right now, it’s just in the future, when it’s not propped up by the Middle and Modern Family when it might be in trouble. All 4 could go either way.
    -Undercover Boss is a sure bet, sorry. It’s cost so little to produce, and has great ratings.

• Lauren says:

Wow, Nick seems to know much more than the entire staff of TVline which probably operates with extra inside information. Maybe they should delete this scorecard, lol.

• Solomon says:

Agreed Nick i wonder why tvline can’t see the obvious here, Nikita should be a sure thing like the rest of the shows that is soon reaching stripped syndication numbers.

would like to hear tvline about this weird position they have put Nikita on while its obvious it should be a safe bet or sure thing here.

• Solomon says:

Also the ratings isn’t even that terrible for a friday show not when many of their weekly shows get 0.5-0.6 and is not a 3rd year show airing on fridays like Nikita

24. RHEA says:

WHY IS CASTLE A SAFE BET AND NOT A SURE THING?

25. John says:

If there is anything sacred left, please let the neighbors get cancelled, I don’t think i could stand another whitney scenario.

26. s says:

Can you please add trackers for shows on other networks like USA and Lifetime? Dying to know about Drop Dead Diva…

27. Mary Morris says:

How about Mob Doctor? I think it is a great concept and hope it is renewed. It is terific
    Mary

28. WeAllLiveInStoopidville says:

Pretty sad when tripe like reality shows get immediate and early renewals while intelligently written fiction has to scrape and claw for a second season. But, judging by our recent elections, that’s just the state of the country’s average IQ.

29. Brandy says:

Glad at least Once, VD, 2Broke Girls,Big Bang Theory are sure things.The rest of my shows are bubble shows:90210(I think it’ll get a final season next season),Hart of Dixie,Nashville, Beauty & the Beast,Carrie Diaries(yet to premiere),Smash(yet to premiere season 2),

• Brandy says:

Top Models safe as it was renewed for cycle 20 a couple months ago, it should say already renewed.Two of my shows are gone :GG ,Emily Owens MD.

30. Castle is pretty safe, but I hope that it becomes a definite one! And I love “Malibu Country so I hope it makes it, too.

31. Rain says:

So sad to hear Apartment 23 isn’t doing well, it’s my favorite half hour comedy! Also surprised about Vegas and Nashville, I really enjoy both.

32. JoyAnne says:

The Mentalist should be a sure thing. As long as I get that, Castle, NCIS, cSI, CSI NY, I’ll be watching. There are others I like but can’t list them all. Will comment though that Vegas is growing pretty good. Having 2 good lead actors helps there.

33. Jacqi says:

I am officially done with the cw. Every show that I get interested in gets canceled after the first season. First Ringer now Emilly Owens. At least Emily Owens gets to finish its 13 episode run, hoping the writers can end each storyline. Emily/Will!!!

34. epicuriouserin says:

Why is Hart of Dixie in jeopardy?!? It had better be renewed; its not only a great show, its a reminder of the Everwood/Gilmore/Dawsons days of the WB. We need more shows like this on tv now.

• rachelle says:

i agree so hard with this comment.

• Mary says:

Because it’s on the CW, which is majorly watched by teens. I like HOD and think it’s one of the CW’s better shows. But I also brushed it off at first and decided to watch it online one day when I was bored. Imagine my surprise that this great show featuring adults is on the CW.

• WingsStef says:

I’m in my low 30s, like most of the characters, and I love the show. I did watch Buffy when I was a teen, and OTH and the OC (was on Fox but made by WB) when I was in my 20s, but Hart of Dixie has that fun charm that speaks to many people. Even though at 30 we are supposed to know where we are in the world, many of us don’t. It doesn’t mean don’t have a job or have not finished school, though, it’s okay to be a late bloomer,. Still, even the doctors and lawyers are still finding themselves. Keep in mind they were in academia for a while. I think it is refreshing. Last but not least…. Wade & Zoe rule!

35. Jessica says:

i love nashville and apt 23 please dont cancel!!!

36. Erica says:

Wth Fox i love mob doctor n Alcatraz n every time i get into it they cancel them. Hope another tv. Stationthat’s picks them up. Please pick this two up somebody.

37. Chris says:

Happy about revolution chicgo fire go on and arrow supernatural the vampier diaries hope hart of dixie gets renewed and Nikita and the Carrie diaries and 90210

38. DebbieLG says:

I don’t think ‘cancelled’ is appropriate for 30 Rock and The Office. They chose to end their shows, they weren’t cancelled. Big difference! Save Mindy! That show has really grown on me!

39. Tabitha says:

So glad supernatural is in the safe zone. That would be messes up if they were to cancel the show after airing a few episodes. I Mean come on they were nominated for an award for the PCA’s.

• Audrey says:

I’m glad about that too. I just started getting into Supernatural about 2 weeks ago and it’s a really wonderful show. Thanks to Netflix, I’m able to watch from the beginning. I’m on season 3 episodes right now, but will watch the new ones as well. I’m extremely picky about what I watch, considering my 5 favorite shows are all cable based or CW shows (Arrow & Supernatural are in my top 5).

40. Jen says:

Parenthood, a sure thing?? From your lips to NBC’s ears…please let it be so!!!

41. rachelle says:

VERY happy about Scandal, Arrow, Grimm, and Elementary being “a sure thing.” However, I would argue that Castle is more of “a sure thing” than “a safe bet.”

42. Cory says:

You do realize that just because you guys (TV Line) don’t want to see The Neighbors come back, it has *VERY* decent ratings, putting it down as “a long-shot” seems stupid.

• Mary says:

TV Line doesn’t rate things on the basis on whether on not they like the show. Just because you love The Neighbors does not mean it has decent ratings. Their last episode had 1.6 rating and not counting the pilot their highest rated episode is a 2.1. You may hate Nielsen ratings and call them inaccurate but networks use those to determine the success of their shows.

43. chris says:

glad supernatural arrow the vampier diaries and go on chicgo firer and revolution are one the renwel side and hope hart of dixie beauty and the beast the carrie diaries 90210 and nashville get renwed

44. hannah says:

How can you say that sandal and the Good wife are sure things? Do you have intel that we don’t? because based solely on the ratings they’d both be on the bubble IMO, expecially TGW. Both shows are pulling high 1s or very low 2s in the ratings (scandal pulled a 2.4 but it’ll bounce back) that doesn’t put them in a very safe position.
    If scandal were actually safe my only concern right now would be Hart of Dixie and Community

45. Nics says:

Aww, why is The Vampire Diaries ‘a sure thing’ when S4 has been so bad? Yet Supernatural is just ‘a safe bet’ when S8 is so good!? :(

• Mary says:

Isn’t The Vampire Diaries CW’s highest rated show? Supernatural has good numbers for a Friday night but it would die if it had TVD’s timeslot.

• Brandy says:

These renwal classifications aren’t based on quality of a season but on ratings and syndication .VD is CWs highest rated show, SPN it’s third.SPN is a old show at eight seasons so it’s age usually mean stars want out, a shows more exspensive to produce-which is why it’s listed as a safe bet ,not a sure thing- or creatively a show could be running out of steam.But don’t worry, SPN will be back next season and maybe the one after that as the stars want to continue and it’s ratings are good by CW standards(0.7-1.0) especially considering how the rest of CWs shows are doing.It will have an announced final season next season or the season after.

46. Nics says:

And hey, what about AMC? I want to know about The Walking Dead!?

47. Spencer says:

I honestly don’t know what I will do if Parks and Rec gets cancelled….

48. ChrisC says:

There should be a page for other popular cable network TV shows (Showtime, TBS, TNT, HBO, FX) I’m just as interested in the survival odds of CougarTown, Dexter, etc.

49. Flor says:

I love both 90210 and Hart of Dixie, so I really hope the CW cancels The Beauty and The Beast… Anyway, if they have to cancel one of the other shows, I’d rather they cancelled 90210 that’s is sort of repeating history already, and they give HOD a chance because it’s AMAZING.

• MaryAnn says:

We all have opposing hopes. Keep “Beauty and the Beast,” cancel “90210″.

• Kira says:

I completely agree!!!! I used to love 90210 but just couldn’t get into it this season. Beauty and the Beast just keeps getting better and better!!! Really hoping for a second season!!!!

50. Sierra says:

If Supernatural gets cancelled I’m going to rip someone’s eyes out. Probably someone who watches the Vampire Diaries