Exclusive

Exclusive Parenthood Sneak Peek: Tensions Rise Between Julia and Victor! Will His Adoption Stick?

Parenthood Season 4 Spoilers Are Parenthood‘s Joel and Julia about to find themselves without a second child… again?

The end of the NBC drama’s third season found the birth mother of the couple’s soon-to-be adoptive baby changing her mind, leaving them heartbroken — and with Victor, a new, much older son, courtesy of an eleventh hour adoption. Since then, however, the makeshift family has experienced countless growing pains, most notably the combative kid’s recent demand for a relationship with his “real mom.”

RELATED | Parenthood‘s Jason Katims Weighs In on Sarah, Mark and Hank… and Jason Ritter’s Return?

Tensions first began to escalate between Julia and Victor in Parenthood‘s latest installment, after the latter, in a fit of rage, threw a baseball bat at his sister and ended up shattering a glass door. Unfortunately, things don’t look much better between the two in the following exclusive first look at next Tuesday’s hour (10/9c).

Tempers once again flare as the two bicker over pancakes (she made him some; he wants Burger King’s brand), with Victor dropping a few curse words and Julia attempting (unsuccessfully?) to take her place as an authority figure.

With three episodes (including this one) left in Season 4, and increasingly bad blood circulating in this branch of the Braverman family tree, we spoke with Parenthood boss Jason Katims about the possibility of a happy ending for Joel, Julia, Sydney and Victor.

RELATED | TVLine Asks: Did Parenthood‘s Sarah Hop Beds Too Fast?

“Things gets very tricky with Victor in these last few episodes,” the showrunner shared, “to the point of [Joel and Julia] not even knowing if this is something they can continue to do.”

But the show wouldn’t take another kid away from the happy couple, would it? “I will tell you, that story will be resolved,” Katims revealed. “I do think it’s important that we honor [fans’ belief in the show] and tell the stories the way we believe, whether or not it’s exactly the happiest. “

Press PLAY below to watch Julia and Victor battle it out, and then hit the comments with your thoughts: Will Sydney be an only child again by season’s end?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Video

1. robinepowell says:

Nothing but a black screen.

• DEE OSTRO says:

There’s always hope, but Joel shouldnt for a minute pressured Julia into the adoption finality. He was great in addressing Victor stating that he should not disrespect his wife! He’s terrible, but deep inside I think and hope the kid has love for her but has never learned how to show it!!
      ALL I KNOW IS, PARENTHOOD HAS TO BE RENEWED, it’s a MOST hearwarming and realistic show about family!!!!!!!!!

2. Aly says:

Ugh…Victor is the WORST! I haven’t seen a redeeming moment in his character that would make me want to see him continue on the show.

• Ari says:

He’s 10 years old and he’s old enough to know that his bio mom essentially gave him up. How would you act if you knew that at that age? I’m guessing you wouldn’t have many redeeming moments either.

• Kate says:

That seems harsh. He has had sweet moments, like earning an A and growing to love his baseball team. I actually feel like the show hasn’t been honest enough in how tough this situation would be for a little boy. Julia and Joel even tried to get him to call them “mom and dad” at first, like after having a mother for 11 years — and watching her go to jail — he would just jump into a new family no problem. He’s the one who’s struggled, and if they want to be parents they have to fight to help him.

3. ARi says:

I am not able to watch the clip but do have an opinion none the less. I feel very strongly that Julia and Joel are smart together people (mostly). They knew that adopting a grown boy would be a supreme challenge but I think they are up for it. I can’t imagine trying to form a bond of love with a stranger that is to be my child but if I chose to go down this road I would never give up. Imagine the whole situation from Victor’s point of view. He has now been given everything he could ever want from a family stability standpoint to a materialistic standpoint. Help with homework, time on a sports team. A lovely home, a set of parents who are engaged and interested. A sister! He would of course feel conflicted and the change in his life would be a challenge for him too. I believe this family should hold tight to each other. They all want each other and need each other. I hope Katims doesn’t take the easy way out and send that poor boy packing. I will not excuse some of the bad behavior everyone has shown each other but will happily give them all a break in light of the uphill climb they have ahead of them. Hang in there Julia, Joel, Sydney AND Victor!

• Trent says:

Ari, that was beautifully put. One of the great things about Parenthood is that there are never easy answers — we, the viewers can see everyone’s perspective. In this case, Syd was taunting Victor and saying terrible things to him before he snapped, but it doesn’t excuse his fit of rage. He could have hurt or even killed her! On the other hand, Victor has been rejected not only by his birth mom but also various foster families, as he acknowledged last night. The depth of his pain doesn’t excuse his actions, but it does help to illuminate them.

• Michael says:

Actually, your post was beautifully put. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with Ari’s comment that getting rid of Victor would be “the easy way out”.

• Victoria says:

I totally agree with you. That moment was 100% Sydney’s fault. While Joel and Julia didn’t know what happened, they just saw the window break and sydney scream, I understand why they reacted as they did. I think they would be very mad at Sydney if they knew what she had said.

4. csr says:

Julie’s whole story line (job plus Victor) has been implausible and uninteresting this year.

• Brigette says:

I agree. Actually, I feel like up until now, the whole thing has been “too easy.” My family works in the social work field, and adoption is not this quick thing that just happens. I actually think Victor is TOO well behaved and well-adjusted, and Joel and Julia seem way too naive. What did they expect? Parenthood is usually so great with realism, but not this time.

5. Sandie says:

I really hope Katims doesn’t make Julia and Joel “return” Victor. He is not a puppy and the message that would send about adoption is horrifying to me. An adopted child is your child. Yes, there are many roadblocks and hiccups along the way for the parents, the child and the siblings, but Victor is now their child. What I find has been missing from this story is the counselling that usually accompanies older child adoption. Most people at least have counselling for the child if not for the entire family. It’s a lot of change for everyone to manage. Hopefully Jason Katims continues to give us a realistic picture of older child adoption and not “resolve” the situation completely. It’s a long road, but one that is well worth it.

• MCat Jenkins says:

I agree I don’t think that there’s anyway that they can send him back and I do not understand why there is no counseling in the situation he should have counseling, as in Victor. as well as the whole family including Sydney need to have some sort of therapy to adjust to the situation

• K says:

Well what if Victor’s mom got better and want her kid back then they will have no choice but to return him. Dont worry Julia and Joel are too sainty and good too shoes to even return Victor. Its parenthood, they always do lots of happy endings anyway. Victor likely isnt going anywhere.

The funny thing is, whats realistic is that not everyone can cope with adoption and not all adopted kids/adopted parents relationship work out well.

• Adoptive Mom says:

If Joel and Julia actually completed the adoption (which I believe they have), and are not merely in the _process_ of adopting, then they would _not_ have to return Victor to his birthmother. The birth family’s parental rights must be fully terminated before an adoption can take place

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

I feel really bad for the kid, he’s in such a tough position in life. It’s totally natural he would act out in the way he’s acting out. Those kind of changes coupled with the kinds of emotions he must be going through will really mess a kid up. He’s probably at puberty age too, which of course is going to amplify everything bad he’s feeling. I like this storyline, I feel like they are making it pretty realistic.

7. Bella says:

Sydney was such a brat. She just kept taunting him and teasing him and wouldn’t shut up. It doesn’t justify him throwing the bat by any means, but she seems to get away with everything. I agree with Sandie, that normally, counseling comes along with adopting older children, as it’s difficult for everybody. Hopefully Joel and Julia will figure this out and get on it.

• Courtney says:

I agree that she said mean things, but it wasn’t the whole time. She was just asking him questions and he was calling her stupid and telling her to shut up, that’s when she starting saying mean things about his mom.

• Sid says:

It doesn’t matter what Sydney was saying or not saying. Victor is a destructive force in the family, changing the dynamics. His reaction was intolerable considering how the family has altered their lives to make him feel a part of It. He should realize, considering his age and reasoning abilities, that a decent family is better than his crackhead mother. Stop coddling, shape up or ship him out.

• Sarah says:

I wouldn’t care if my mom was a crackhead, I would still rather be with her than a bunch of strangers because that’s my mom. His reasoning abilities are completely irrelevant. His mom is his family.

• Sarah says:

Also he’s adopted, he doesn’t know how they altered their lives and regardless its not his problem. When you adopt a child your life will obviously change, Julia and Joel knew this and did it anyway. They are supposed to make him feel like he’s apart of the family. That is their job as parents. You don’t get rewarded for doing what your are supposed to do. That was what they signed up for.

8. foodefight says:

I trust the writers–I actually agree that they’ve probably been a little too careful with Victor, to not send a wrong message about adoption.

We know many people who have adopted successfully but have seen 3 people this year experience heartbreak. With one, the baby they raised from 2 days old (now 2.5 years), whom they were promised would be free to fully adopt any day now, was given back to his (rather horrible) mother who did just enough to get him back.

In another situation, a foster adopt scenario, a family tried really hard to make adopting a brother / sister duo work but they said it fell through. Since they wouldn’t share details, but were really struggling, I think there’s a good chance they underestimated how much it would impact their current two children.

Finally, a family worked really hard to raise the funds to adopt a girl from Latvia. Unfortunately, 3 years in orphanages caused her to be extremely jealous of their other adopted daughter any time said daughter got attention. In just a couple short weeks the girl they were trying to adopt acted out in increasing levels of violence toward their daughter, and when they were honest with the judge he said it wasn’t in either party’s best interest to adopt her. They knew that would likely be the answer but needed to be honest about the situation at hand. They really fell in love with the girl and it crushed them, not mention they raised a solid portion of the $30k it took to get to the point where they were and they feared offending those who gave so much for them to not end up adopting the girl. But ultimately people need to protect their existing children and endangering them by adopting more isn’t healthy or wise.

Truth is, while I’m sure no show is trying to “scare people off” it’s not the dream everyone makes it out to be, any more than actual parenthood is all sunny days in still meadows and clean white dresses like the commercials would suggest. I do hope the writers are compassionate but careful and realistic.

9. clau.u says:

I think the problem is with Julia and Joel. They should get professional counseling for the whole family. Victor is not that case of abandon while infant, he knows who his mother is and knows what happened to her, so of course he would have trouble adjusting to a whole new family. What bugs me the most is how J&J can’t act on what’s happening. It’s not the first time they let Victor do whatever he wants. That’s actually why I think Sidney was being mean to him, eventually she will get pissed off by him doing whatever he wants while she can’t. Again, Julia and Joel just have to take a little action there and get some help with Victor.

• K says:

Joel and Julia are bad parents, the worst of parents in the show IMO. Im surprised lots of praise them for being the best parents. They are too passive with the kids, think spoiling them is love and act like they dont know how to raise kids. Little Sidney seems to be beating them both in the brain department, maybe she should take control of the household.

10. jonesing says:

Anyone think this could be tied to the TVLINE Blind Item “Popular Drama Poised to Break Up Major Couple?” http://tvline.com/2012/12/21/spoiler-breakup-blind-item/

11. Allie says:

This family is not “makeshift”. Adoption is not second best and is a wonderful way to build a family. I have adopted and bio kids and they all have their fair share of problems but I wouldn’t trade a day with any of them.

12. sandris says:

I think the worst that could happen for this storyline would be for Joel and Julia to “return” Victor, and for them to move on with their lives. I realize that this does happen in real life, but it would set a terrible example for the ways adoption should be treated. Joel and Julia knew they were getting themselves into a tough situation. If they did not want to adopt Victor since he was older, they should not have agreed to adopt him. I feel like this last episode is realistic in that it shows how foster care children come from extremely traumatic situations, and will do things that are not acceptable (like throw a bat through a window). Yet, it is obvious that Victor did not want to harm Sidney. However, he could have harmed her, and does need help with dealing with his anger. What I hope is they are not using this as a way to get rid of the Victor storyline, by now having an excuse for “returning” him. I think if the Parenthood writers simply got rid of the character in this way, it would seriously affect the credibility of the show.

13. Blinged Up says:

I just discovered this show this season, so since I’m a newcomer maybe I haven’t had a chance to learn to love these characters yet, but the Julia and Joel storyline is the only one I don’t love. I don’t really care for Julia……can’t put my finger on it. Is it just me? Or is it because I haven’t seen them in the prior seasons?
    Anyway, except for this storyline, I am absolutely LOVING this show — especially Sarah and Hank’s part.

14. Chrissie says:

They need 2 get Victor some therapy ASAP. Unadopting him will probably damage him more that he already is.

15. Maggie says:

I think Sydney thinks her parents love Victor more than her and she feels hurt. She has rules and when Victor breaks the rules, she points it out and her mom told her to shut up. On the other hand, Victor probably feels if J and J really cared about him, they would make him follow the rules like their “real” kid. Maybe, Sydney really wanted to know why Victor isn’t with his mom. Everyone says she was taunting him but I think he was nasty to her from the first question and he could have really hurt her. Her mom quit her job to be with Victor. Sydney is old enough to realize she never did this for her. When Victor got an A in math, Julia was jumping for joy but Sydney was thinking, she never gets that excited when I get an A. I think everyone in this family is hurting. They should keep Victor but not allow him to talk mean or hurt Sydney. Play board games together, go camping, etc. Show your love to both children and make sure they both follow the rules. Tell Victor he can see his bio mom when he is 18.

16. Bob says:

Personally I’m just about done with Parenthood. First with Christina getting drunk as a skunk. How many cancer patients going through chemo do that. Second with Sarah and the camera guy. Are we to believe she’s actually jealous of Mark and the other girl while she’s merrily hopping in the sack with the other guy? This relationship alone may make me decide this is my last season. Lastly with Sydney and Victor. Are they not even going to address the fact about what she was saying to him that made him lash out, are they just going to gloss over that – really? I’ve about had it.

• nina says:

Sydney wasn’t saying the nicest things but why would she? Victor can’t even answer her without being rude and her mother is putting this kid before her constantly!! She let’s Victor get away with everything and he is such a horrible child. This adoption story line is just horrible I don’t like him on the show.

17. Courtney says:

I’m getting pretty sick of the lack of focus, respect and growth for Sydney. When she felt her parents loved Victor more than her- Julia just called it a tantrum. When Sydney points out that Victor gets to do things she doesn’t- Julia tells her to shut up. &The writing continues to make her a brat, making not a whole lot of people sympathetic towards her. I want them to let Sydney grow out of the ‘brat’ phase she has been in since season 1, considering this is probably a tough situation for her, but they don’t focus on her at all, and when they do, it’s just to show that she is still a snotty kid. I want Joel & Sydney to have the amount of focus that Julia & Victor do in this family.

18. Donna says:

I actually wish they would return Victor. I don’t like the character or the story l

19. Donna says:

Sorry, I accidentally posted my previous post before I had c

20. Brooke says:

Ugh can’t stand Victor. I can’t imagine what it’s like knowing in your heart that someone has given you up. But I am sorry the kid hasn’t even tried it seems. He is just annoying along with Downer Drew.

21. Craig Best says:

I don’t get why people hate the Victor story line, it’s realistic. If they took a Saturday afternoon special on the topic and everything was smooth sailing then people would complain it was too easy for the family. Victor is mainly pissed as he now realizes he might never see his mom again, no matter what she did it’s still his mom and that’s gotta hurt. Unfortunately being 12yo he’s taking it out on his adopted family.

As for Kristina, she was having a night out for the first time in a long time, we don’t know how drunk she was on the dance floor but I would have preferred if the other ladies had taken her home but then we wouldn’t have has the hair cutting or Kristina waking Adam up.

Sarah didn’t just hop into bed with Hank, it had been building since the kiss and remember the Christmas episode was about 3 weeks (their time) after Mark walked out on her. At least it was better than Lorelai jumping Chris hours after walking out on Luke… yes a Gilmore Girls reference.

22. Sid says:

Victor is an ungrateful brat that is ruining the dynamics of a family that is trying to make him feel a member in every sense. Joel and Julia are doing this at their daughter’s expense. At some point it is the child that must embrace his new family as surely he is old enough to see the difference between the Bravermans and his crackhead mother. Get rid of the brat!

23. JANICE WARLOCKS says:

Hello Every body
    Thank you thank you DR Saga mudo for the good work you just did in my life ,
    My name is JANICE WARLOCKS i was married to my husband for two years and we were living together happily and we both love each other for this two year not until one bad evening when i came back from work late due to scares of transportation and he started queering and he said he does not trust me anymore and he can continue with this marriage anymore and he drove me away from his house unknowingly to him that i was carrying his two month old baby inside me i tried informing he but he won,t listen to me anymore i thought i will never get him back again and i loved him so much and i promise not to rest until am able to get him back to my life so i began to look for a solution and help to get him back this was because i do not want to give birth to a fatherless child so one afternoon as i was browsing on my computer i came across a testimony shared by miss Rachael from UK how she got his ex husband back with the help of Dr Saga mudo of (obeduneedospelltemple@gmail.com) so i decided to give him a try and to my best surprise the spell this man cast on my husband work just within two days i contacted him . and today am happily living with my husband and a bouncing baby boy , with all this help rendered to me through this Saga mudo OF (obeduneedospelltemple@gmail.com )i will always thank him forever and testify his goodness in my life for other,s to hear an see , once again thank you DR for bringing back my family ,