TVLine Items: Hawaii Five-0 Stages Interactive Ep, CSI: NY Captures Homeland Big Bad and More!

Ha'awe Make Loa (Death Wish)Hawaii Five-0 is making television history with a Choose Your Own Adventure-esque episode.

The special hour, airing Monday, Jan. 14 at 10/9c, will allow viewers on both coasts to vote in real-time for an ending to the installment.

Centering on the death of a professor, the episode will present three suspects: his boss, his teaching assistant and a student caught cheating. After the motives of each are presented, viewers can head to CBS.com or Twitter to choose the culprit (#theBoss, #theTA, #theStudent). The most popular pick will make it to air.

“I’ve always felt the most fun aspect of watching a mystery is trying to figure out ‘whodunit,’” executive producer Peter Lenkov said in a statement Thursday. “Now the Hawaii Five-0 viewers will actually get the chance to tell us who they think committed the crime, and we will listen. I love that our dedicated and attentive fans will actually play a part in resolving our story.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

CSI: NY has booked Homeland baddie Navid Negahban for a February installment. Per TVGuide.com, he’ll appear in the second part of the CSI/CSI:NY crossover event as someone who knows where Mac’s kidnapped girlfriend is located.

RELATED | Homeland Burning Questions: Will [Spoiler] Sit Out Season 3? And More

Fan fave Community scribe Megan Ganz has announced her departure (of sorts) from the cult hit. Her new home: Modern Family. In a moving statement posted to Reddit, the in-demand TV writer noted that she’s “excited and scared to start this new… well, everything,” but that “this isn’t the end of me and Greendale.” Her continued involvement with Community — beyond editing the finale, which she wrote — is not entirely clear. Though if it’s any consolation, she confesses: “I just can’t stop writing for Britta.”

Lost/Sons of Anarchy vet Harold Perrineau has been tapped to play a criminal suspected of murder in an installment of Law & Order: SVU, per TVGuide.com. Marcia Gay Harden will reprise her role as FBI agent Dana Lewis in the same episode. Also guest-starring on SVU in the coming months is Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding), who’ll play a counselor going up against D.A. Barba.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Boss Talks Finale Shockers, [Spoilers'] Fates — Plus: Early Season 6 Scoop!

Former Yes, Dear co-stars Mike O’Malley and Liza Snyder will reunite on an upcoming episode of Raising Hope, EW.com reports. They’ll play a couple who finds an old sex tape starring Burt and Virginia.

Eddie Jemison (the Ocean’s Eleven movies) has booked a multi-ep arc on Grey’s Anatomy, EW.com reports, playing a likable nerdy type.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News

1. AmyD says:

UGH, believe it or not, not everyone has a twitter account and I am one of them, but I love the idea! I use to love the pick-your-ending kind of books growing up!

2. Yesterday's Child says:

Seriously, I am so sick of wanting to post here as a CBS fan, because this site is so anti-CBS. I get fans sticking up for their favorite shows, but as a CBS fan, I feel like the ABC and NBC fans are teacher’s pets. Still, I love what H5O is doing, and as a fan, would love to see how CSI NY ends. CSI NY was one of my favorites.

• Danyelle says:

Is this a joke? Every 3rd story on TVline seems to be about NCIS or HIMYM. And I can promise you they cover my fave CSIny more than anyone else (meaning AT ALL).

• Mike says:

If you are talking about the staff, yeah they could be CBS fans, but the commenter her hate HIMYM, and this is coming from a fan.

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

Well, that’s sad about Megan Ganz. If she’s out, that kind of makes me hope they don’t get renewed for season 5. They’ve just lost too many of the people who made the show great in the first place. Megan did write really fantastic stuff for Britta.

• Mike says:

I don’t see them renewing it anyway, it was a gift to even have her for round 4. Just wish she was leaving for a better show.

4. Alan says:

ganz is a fantastic writer, hopefully she can keep up her high standard on modern family. they could use some fresh blood in the writing room, things have been a bit off lately in my opinion.
    letting the fans choose the ending is a strange move. the episode will have no effect on the story arcs because of that and to me if you dont move the story arcs along even a little bit in an episode then its a waste of airtime.

5. JC says:

Ugh. I’m a fan of H50 but the “choose your own ending” thing does not even remotely appeal to me. Now I’m thinking I will probably skip that episode.

6. mia says:

What a cool thing H50 is doing! Be really neat to see how it pans out. I stopped watching last season (life got busy), but I’ll definitely have to make note to tune in (LIVE no less) for this one.
    Really neat idea. Good for you CBS

7. sarah says:

I love H50 but I am reallt curious how they will air the ending if it is in real time!

• sarah says:

Sorry I meant really

• Alex says:

They won’t allow much time for voting, basically. They’ll set up the three suspects, then tell viewers how to vote. Then I bet they’ll go to a long commercial break. When they come back, they’ll probably have a scene or more recapping the suspects and then tack the scene the voters prefer to the end of the episode.

8. There is naturally a bundle to understand about this. I look at you created some good points in features also.