Once Upon a Time: Josh Dallas on the Charmings' Future, Regina's Regret and Hook's Welcome

Once Upon a Time Season 2 SpoilersIt was the best of times, it was the worst of times, as Once Upon a Time‘s fall finale drew to a close. Emma and Snow White had managed to traverse realms and return to their fam in Storybrooke. But meanwhile, unbeknownst to anyone, Captain Hook and the original Queen of Mean closed in on Storybrooke via the pirate’s brig.

TVLine met up with Josh Dallas, who plays Prince Charming, to get a peek at what’s to come when Season 2 resumes a week from Sunday, on Jan. 6.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Midseason Finale Post Mortem: Burning Questions Answered!

TVLINE | I asked Ginny [Goodwin] and Jen [Morrison] this first question, too: Was it kind of strange doing the split narrative, where half the cast was off doing something else and you’re no longer crossing paths with these people you worked so much in the first season?
Yeah, but there’s something nice about having a whole new group of people that you’re working with. And even though we were all separated, we were all kind of working towards the same common goal, so it felt like we were all together anyway. But yeah, it was a change from Season 1 for sure.

TVLINE | When Charming got stuck in the sleeping spell, my first thought was, “Oh, I guess Josh just got a couple of weeks off.”
Yeah, when I read that script, I was like, “Oh, OK, another sleeping curse. Good thing I did Coma Acting 101 in college” – which I also got to use in the first couple of episodes in Season 1!

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time First Look: As a Charming Celebration Gets Underway, Evil Lurks

TVLINE | Captain Hook and Cora are now in Storybrooke, but their respective adversaries are Rumplestiltskin and Regina, GINNIFER GOODWIN, JOSH DALLASwhich will likely keep those two distracted. Is now the time for Snow and Charming to finally be happy?
With all great, epic love stories, there are always obstacles thrown in front of the lovers, all of the time — and particularly with our show. And I think certainly in the case of Snow and Charming, that will continue to happen throughout the series. But at the moment, now that they’ve gotten back together and they’re both in Storybrooke, there is time to breathe and think about where they are, who they are, what their relationship was and what it can be now, where they belong….

TVLINE | “Do they expand their family? And what are the ramifications if any of another ‘true love’ baby?”
Yeah. There are all those kind of questions going on. Of course, there are things happening in Storybrooke that the Charming family has to deal with first. Besides Cora and Hook showing up, we have something else that’s happening that needs the family’s attention. There are things that are going on that prevent them from kind of really taking that time [to relax], but they find their way around it and start talking about their future.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Casts Rose McGowan as Young Cora for Origin Episode

TVLINE | Is Regina going to almost regret that she helped get the ladies get back? Obviously it was a magnanimous gesture, but…. She looked vaguely perturbed when Henry walked off with Emma.
Regina is interesting, because when it comes to Henry, he is her only thread to real goodness, her only chance at real redemption. I think she will try to do whatever it is that will make Henry happy, but whether she regrets her decision to help give Henry his mother and his family back…. “Maybe.” That’s all I can say.

TVLINE | What kind of welcome do Hook and Cora get in Storybrooke?5Once_FallFinale_CoraHook Do they just walk into town, down Main Street…?
No, it’s shocking. It’s shocking and exciting, and it’s not what you’re expecting for their welcome — particularly for Hook. I’ve tried not to give any of this away, but he gets thrust into the group, as it were, quite violently.

TVLINE | Might there be some thumping of chests with Charming and Hook?
There might be…. I mean, Charming doesn’t take kindly to people who are liars and manipulators — he finds that a real weakness in people — and Hook is one nasty character. Of course, they haven’t met yet, properly, but I think there’s going to be some interesting things for sure between the two of them.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop: Gregory Itzin Cast as Frankenstein’s [Spoiler]

TVLINE | David Anders tweeted [in late November] that he was being kept “uber-busy” as Whale. Do you get pulled into that at all? He and Charming had been clashing ever since Snow’s “We were cursed!” confession.
I think Charming feels like he’s settled that score. You know, he’s a man, he still has jealousies and [Whale] was messing with his woman. But Dr. Whale and David are cool now. I don’t think they’ll be “best friends,” but Dr. Whale is someone that can be very useful in Storybrooke — and that will come into play once Hook comes into town.

TVLINE | How does the sheriff thing shake out now that Emma’s back?
David always said that he was only going to take over until she got back, because he so believed Emma and Snow would return. Of course, naturally he’s a leader and he’ll always be there to lead, so maybe we’ll see some teaming up, some “father-daughter sheriffing” going on. He likes the gun holster, TV Sex Scenesfor sure. [Laughs]

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s ‘Tiny’ Episode

TVLINE | We haven’t had any good ol’ Fairytale Land flashbacks in a while. Are some coming up?
Yes, for sure. I can’t remember the title of the episode, but you’re going to see more of the story between Regina, Snow and Charming.

TVLINE | Ginny indicated to me that there might be stuff in Charming’s past to explore further.
Oh, absolutely. That will come much later into the season; there is a lot more to explore with his whole life. He has a twin brother that was never fully realized in the first season — we just saw kind of a glimpse of him — so maybe we’ll see that story with him and King George.

TVLINE | We still don’t know Charming’s real name. Didn’t [series creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis] say we’d find it out this season?
We will find out. We will find out. It’s surprising what it is. It’s surprising and it’s obvious… which is weird!

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

In the new Spoiler Alert! episode: Once Upon a Time‘s Captain Hook gets a surprise!

1. “TVLINE | How does the sheriff thing shake out now that Emma’s back?
    David always said that he was only going to take over until she got back, because he so believed that Emma and Snow would return. Of course, naturally he’s a leader and he will always be there to lead, so maybe we’ll see some teaming up, some “father-daughter sheriffing” going on. He likes the gun holster, for sure. [Laughs]”

Nah, he has to run for mayor against Regina, and he’ll get all the votes. Mayor is the equivalent of King. No one would vote for Regina, unless it was under duress. Certainly no one in Storybrooke wants her to lead them now that they know who she is.

He runs against her, wins, and that forces her to move out fo the Mayor’s house to maybe a “castle”-like edifice in the forest or something.

• Frivolouswhim says:

Regina has left her office in ep3 already.

• ah, cool. I watch the show, I didn’t memorize it, lol. Then he should take over as mayor.That would still (should) force her to move out of her house, which must be the mayor’s house.

• Shawn says:

If the goal is to paint Charming as spiteful and petty, then yes, absolutely this would be the thing to do. Thankfully – hopefully – I don’t think this is where the show is going.

• the goal would be to have him assume a leadership position akin to that of King.

• Templar says:

Charming is not and never has been a king. he is a prince and his father the king is in Storybrooke.

• Were Charming and Snow not King and Queen before Regina released the curse? They had taken over George’s castle.

• Templar says:

Taking over a castle does not make you the monarch. Ask William the Conqueror. He still had to wait to be crowned. Snow and Charming were never King & Queen.

• Mari says:

Charming would always be a prince consort anyway – even if Snow were to become queen. He was never a prince to begin with and being married to the queen doesn’t make him king. It makes him her prince consort.

• the girl says:

Re: prince, king or prince consort. What you’re saying appears to be the Great Britain way but other monarchies have done things different. For example in Ancient Egypt a man became king by marrying the daughter of the previous king. Being the son of the king did not make you the king, so you could be someone like David, marry Snow White (princess) and become king, not prince consort, under the Ancient Egypt way.

• sofia says:

@the girl – Snow White takes place in Europe, as do most of the fairy-tales we’ve seen on the show so far, and that is the way things work here. It’s not just in the UK, it’s in all the European Royal Families as well.

• sara says:

That would be a real jerk move

• Shawn says:

But in this land he isn’t a king. If anyone would take up that mantle it would be Snow and I still don’t think they evict Regina. The idea shouldn’t be to humiliate and isolate her into frying the town to a crisp.

• I’m not suggesting that they’d evict her to be mean, but because her house is probably the mayor’s house, like Gracie Mansion and the like.

• Jan says:

Being a a mayor and being king/queen may be similar in the sense that they are both positions of power, but that’s where the similarities end as well. At least in my opinion.
      Being a politician in our world requires different skills and to be quite honest I don’t think Charming has them. He has difficulties keeping his temper in check and the mayor can’t go around punching people in the face or losing controll in other ways as Charming has done a couple of times already this season. Emma and Snow were gone and he was under a lot of pressure, but the position of town’s mayor will always come with pressure and I don’t think Charming would be able to handle the job well.
      Here’s the weird thing: For all the evil she’s done, Regina actually seemed to keep the town running fairly well. She had a lot of time to get a hang of the job though. She maybe that helped. But I think she was, in a way, very much cut out for this kind of job, running the day to day business of a small town.
      Charming once told someone that Snow did all of the “talking” so maybe she could be the politician and he can find something else to do. I would like the new mayor to be someone more neutral though. Someone who doesn’t come from either Snow’s or Regina’s line and is somehow caught up in their complicated backstory. And someone who maybe was a member of the common people in fairytale land as a way of establishing that living in our world means change for everyone and Storybrooke will not turn into a sorta monarchy again where the same royals that were already in power in FTL will control everything again in Storybrooke.
      I think Cora will try to rise to power in Storybrooke too though. And politics is a good way to achieve that. The same is probably true for King George. Maybe those two will form an alliance. I don’t think Cora will rely on Hook much longer. She needs someone a little smarter, a little more intellectually cunning as an ally in our world.

• Snow could be a better mayor, specially given what you point out about Charming’s character, which Snow seems to be the opposite of in some ways. She’d be a more cool-headed mayor.

It would be cool for Cora and George to team up to take over, assuming they survive the season.

• Templar says:

I wonder if power hungry Gold might run for mayor.

• if he did, then Charming and/or Snow would have no choice but to run against him. Even then, who’d vote for him? Would he cash all the favors he is owed to buy the election? if he did, then it wouldn’t matter who ran against him.

• Shawn says:

Neither Charming nor Snow are wonderfully heroic as you make them out to be. Nor would I guess that they’re as loved. SB is a democratic society now – even when Regina led, she answered to the people – they are likely not looking to re annoint the Charmings to a monarchy.

Also, the mansion is Regina’s house. Any move team Charming took to take that from her absent her surrendering it willingly(can’t see why she would, it’s not the White House) would be considered an act of petty aggression. No thanks.

2. Frivolouswhim says:

Sounds great – looking forward to the show’s return. :) Did you happen to interview Lana, too?

3. Lola says:

Josh seems so lovely. It’s a shame Charming is such a snoozefest.

• are we sure he’s not really Prince Valium?

• sara says:

So true. Him involved in every story in Storybrooke this season was one of their biggest mis-steps.

• Oh, it’s beyond intolerable. Charming and Snow (and yes, Emma) are the weakest part of the show. I suffer thru their scenes just to get to more interesting characters, especially Regina, Cora and Hook.

• Sarah says:

And, yet you continue to watch the show. Captian Hook is my favorite character, and I’ll agree he is M.U.C.H. more interesting and entertaining than the girly men they seem to have a love for, but that’s the fault of the writers, not the actors. I like Josh Dallas. I just hope they will beef him up. A lot.

• Jan says:

I like Josh Dallas better than Prince Charming too. Charming is not bad, but compared to the other characters on Once Upon A Time he is just… a bit lackluster and cliched.

• J. Norman says:

Charming is my least favorite character on the show. He is, . . .as Regina once put so correctly. . .a farm boy, not some big heroic prince.

4. Sarah says:

I personally think Charming’s real name is David.

5. Moxie says:

Charming’s name is surprising and obvious? I’m going to guess his name actually is David, same as his alter ego.

• Tammy says:

I also believe his alter ego name of David is his TRUE name. I have noticed that Mary Margret/Snow only calls him Either Charming or David, never James. You would think that after they were married she would have learned his true name.:)

• Anne says:

Snow yells “James!” (twice?) in Heart of Darkness when King George’s men capture Charming.

• Doc says:

That was during the time they had first met and she only knew him as James, as HE had told her.

But the moment Charming#2 fled his marriage to Abigail, and King George began his hunt for Charming#2,… Charming#2 no longer had any reason to continue his charade as James and had to have told Snow White his story, whether he brought it up or Snow did. Because if you remember, Snow White knew that Charming#2 was not King George’s son,… George tells as much in (I think the Shepherd)… So Snow has to have known David’s real name since, at least, the Royal Wedding.

6. Jason says:

#1: Charming’s first name is Ralph.

#2: If I have to hear any more about the uber-boring Charming family, I may wretch.

7. Eric says:

I love Charming and I love Josh Dallas, he’s doing amazing work!!! Love his and Ginnifer’s chemistry, they are my reason for watching QUAT!!! And in my opinoin, his real name is either David or Nolan.

8. Mari says:

His character lacks inner conflict. And I don’t mean inner conflict about whether or not he will find Snow/Emma/Henry/his car keys again.

Give the man some layers!

The can’t-do-no-wrong and I-will-always-find-you poster child of eternal goodness is fun when you’re watching a 120 minutes movie. But a main character on a weekly tv show has to be more complex to keep me interested.

• sara says:

That’s always been my biggest issue. He lacks any conflict at all. We’ve seen so much of Snow, Emma, Regina and Rumplestiltskin struggling with things, we’ve even seen one episode guest stars struggling with decisions and consequences but Charming never has a deeper thought than “SNOOOOOW!”

9. L. says:

I have no idea what they’re doing on the “Charming’s name” thing. I was re-watching season 1 and he introduced himself to Snow as James after she had called him Charming several times. So, we know his first name… maybe it’s to do with a last name?

• Mari says:

James was his twin brother’s name.
      Remember, ‘Charming’ was originally a shepherd. Only when Prince James died did Rumpestiltskin reveal to James’ father that the prince had a twin brother – the shepherd. The shepherd then took on the role of his dead twin Prince James in public.
      Snow White, Rumplestiltskin, and Regina know he is not a real prince. But to the public ‘Charming’ still poses as James and they don’t know his real name and that he is really a shepherd.

• L. says:

Aaaaah… gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up Mari! :)

• beckstle says:

If Charming was the twin brother of James then technically he IS a prince – he just wasn’t raised as one. Much like in the Narnia book “The Horse & His Boy” which played with “The Prince and The Pauper” idea. Also…it’s likely David is Charming’s real name, as in David & Goliath. David was a shepherd boy…

• Aeon says:

I think technically neither one of the twin boys is a “true” prince. From what I remember they were born to farmboy Charming’s parents and King George only took one of the twins on as his son because he and his wife couldn’t have children of their own.

• Mari says:

I always thought that his real name might be “Alexander” means “defender of man” which would be both obvious and perfect for him

10. FooFoo says:

Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!! Woohoo!!! More Hook!!! I think I love Captain Hook!!!

11. lol maybe his real name is James. Maybe they named both boys James since they were giving one up and they really liked the name James. ;)

Seriously though, I’m betting on it being David. Though I don’t know why the big secret.

12. markito says:

For me Josh Dallas as Prince Charming. and David is amazing
    For me Charming, Snow, Emma, Regina, Rumpel will always be my favorite. In fact I still prefer the 1st season, more than the second. If any of these characters is replaced, I will give up view.
    I admit that the new characters are a way to freshen the show, but I’m not so excited so see their stories. I like them, but the main cast is the main cast.
    I know some people who only started watching the show by Hook or by Mulan … or another new character. And selfishly just want to see their actors to spearhead the stories. They forget that story runs around the main cast. They are the root of the plot.
    However I miss the evil side of Regina and Rumpel.
    I also think Charming’s real name is David.
    Josh Dallas’s work in Once Upon a Time is perfect. He doesnt need be bad or womanizer for to be a great character. He is a very talented actor…And this is proven when we could love Charming and hate David at the same time

13. mia says:

I’m interested to see how Charming reacts to Hook’s obvious interest in Emma….and what happens when they actually get involved. Drama!

• Stroud says:

That actually has the potential to be hilarious! It kind of reminds me of “Married with Children”, and what Al Bundy would do to some of the men his daughter brought home. LOL!!!

14. Agree Markito!
    Josh Dallas is amazing!
    And the main cast and original from 1st season are also my favorites.
    Who sees Once upon a Time because of new actors and characters, does not understand. I loved the duality Charming vs. David. And it really showed how Josh Dallas was excellent in his performance.
    I fully agree that Josh has entered into and between all the episodes, as well all the main cast actors. They are the face of the show.
    Like many fans I think David is Charming real name too.
    Hook can look good, be hot, but his charm is pretentious.
    Unlike Charming, Hook is manipulative, vindictive …
    I think Charming will not like him

• Oncewatcher says:

David is a good guy yes, but if you have a guy who is too good, all the time, there’s not really anything there for anything to grow off of. That’s why I like Hook. He’s complicated. There’s room there for them to mold him, to shape him, to evolve him, to change him, to make him meaner, to make him good, whatever….and then, there is all of that drama we get to see run paralell to all those events.

As for Charming. Cute guy. Sweet. All the time. Nothing changes. If they don’t complicate him a little bit……blecchhhh! He’s too innocent. That makes him monotone, and booring.

• Gale says:

Can’t say I find Hook more interesting than Charming. Charming may be a bit boring, but Hook’s the generic “hot bad boy for the fangirls” character you see on every second tv show these days. Of course he has some sob story background, of course he uses sexuality as a way of getting what he wants, of course he’s eventually gonna fall for the female heroine, of course it’s all gonna go the same way we’ve seen it happen before a dozen times. But hey, the formula still works for many female viewers so can’t say I blame the writers. Just can’t say I find it interesting.

• Aeon says:

The biggest disappointment with Hook was his backstory. Bad rip-off of the story with Regina, Daniel the stable boy, and her mother from season one and the Hook actor wasn’t up to par with the likes of Robert Carlyle, Barbara Hershey, Lana Parrilla, etc. and couldn’t elevate the material. I hope they have a better backstory for him based on his time in Neverland. That’s the true Hook story for me anyway.

15. A man that protects his family and loves his family is boring? When David hurt Mary Margaret in season 1, people wanted Charming back. Now is back..and you complain that he is very sweet and nice guy and it bothers you
    Maybe Hook hitting innocent women like Belle is a hero?
    I’m sure when Charming see Hook trying to seduce Emma, he will not like it one bit.
    Let’s see if Charming will be complicated enough for you or if you’re gonna hate him.

• Gale says:

A blend between David and Charming would be good. Right now David and Charming are 100% seperate characters. It’s too extreme compared to the other characters and not very “we are both”. It’s also too extreme because it’s written as if David was the bad guy and therefore Charming has to be the 100% good guy. David made mistakes, but he was only human. Viewers are not going to like character with no mistakes either. It gets boring.

• Stroud says:

Exactly! There’s room for improvement in Hook. There’s an opportunity for that wonderful drama,…if they’ll take it. It can’t happen overnight, but Hook’s imperfection leaves a great door open for the writers to treat him like play-dough and go to town with him. As for Charming,…more like a pet rock. If there is no room for improvement in a character, then where is there a story to tell? The onoy stories are around circumstance of events, not around the person, and his complexity.

16. He has flaws and mistakes…

But Charming needed to keep that good guy attitude because he was taking care of Henry alone.
    He had even needed help from his enemies, such as Regina and Rumpel. Or will he get any through aggression or making mistakes? Of course not.

But Emma and Snow already back…so…you only need to wait..patience is a virtue…!

17. Camille says:

Whether or not Charming could be king by marrying Snow depends on the laws of the land, which contrary to the comments here, don’t necessarily mirror the laws in our (that is, the non-magic) world. This is fantasy after all in a completely separate realm. There’s no reason to assume that royal laws there are the same as in real life.

18. Ventus Astrum says:

I’m in the minority here when it comes to the Hook character. I already can’t stand him. Mostly because he is NOT the real Capt. Hook. The real Capt. Hook, as written by J. M. Barrie in Peter Pan, is actually named James Hook. When the OUAT Hook introduced himself to Rumple, he called himself “Killian Jones”. I could really care less about this imposter Hook.
    I want to see more of August & Jefferson. Where has August gone? What is he doing? And how is Jefferson making out now that he’s finally reunited with his daughter? Furthermore, I want to see more of August & Jefferson’s backstories. I especially want to know how Jefferson got out of Wonderland and came back to Fairy Tale Land.
    And where is Jiminy/Dr. Hopper? Where? He should be woven more into each of the other character’s story threads than this ridiculous new imposter Hook character.

19. Lulu says:

I like Charming. He is who he is supposed to be as a character. He is all good with no conflict. That is the function of his character. He is meant to always do what’s “right”. You have his character who is purely good and that is balanced on the other side with someone like Cora who is purely evil. They are the counter points to all the other characters in the middle. Rumplestilzken, Regina, Hook, and even Emma. They all have inner conflict(I’m not convinced Hook is completely a baddie). The can be redeemed to the light or head into the darkness. This is writing 101. We as viewers get drawn to the middle characters because we relate to their inner conflict. It’s more humanized and speaks to what’s in us. It’s why we find them more interesting. My point is that I like Charming for who and what he is supposed to be and do for the narrative.
    What I want to know is what Dr. Whale is going to be doing to or for Hook? Nobody picked up on that?
    I could care less if August comes back. I really really would love to see one of the best conflicted characters, Jefferson, come back. They must have not been able to lock him into a contract. Plus he had great chemistry with Emma, probably bleed through from the off screen romance

• Templar says:

I’m with you on Jefferson. Of all of the guys in the show, so far, Jefferson is IMO the best partner for Emma. August isn’t “real”, Hook is shallow and without scruples, Graham is sincerely dead, Neal is a bit underwhelming. Jefferson and Emma with Henry and Grace would form a nice blended family.

20. Andrea says:

Man, I notice a lot of Charming hate here. He isn’t the most developed character ever, but come on, there are a TON of characters in this show, and it’s mainly about the three generations of women. I for one, love Charming. He’s adorable, his teeth practically go “ping!” when he smiles. And he has time to be developed. I can’t wait to see some cute, awkward bonding moments between him and Emma!

And, yes, I too, believe his name is David. I always have. What I don’t get is why it’s being treated like such a mystery? Are they really going to make a big deal out of the reveal? I honestly hope that after all the hype, it just boils down to a conversation like, “Wait, what IS your name?” “Huh? Oh, haha, it’s David. Like really. But clearly the curse had a sense of humor. It gave your mother a double first name, and the last name, basically, White. Seriously, Honey, why was this all SO hard for you to believe?”

21. I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger
    lovers but this post is genuinely a nice post, keep it up.

22. Doc says:

Ha!,… I guess I was brought back here by this frickin “spambot” just above? lol…. It was interesting, though, to go back and read some of these comments about the show from almost a year ago. Some right on,… some way out in left field,…but most of all, I love thought process of you die-hard Oncers. #LongLiveOUAT